If you have been keeping up with the mattress industry for even a short amount of time, you may have started to notice how commonly foam is used as a material. The idea of a no-foam bed constructed with no synthetic materials is not something you come across often, especially at an affordable price. Add that to the fact it is delivered in a box, and you truly have something unique.
Joybed claims that “natural sleep is better sleep,” but what does that mean? Our in-depth overview of the Joybed mattress will explore what makes this sustainable mattress different from other beds on the market using our scoring system that evaluates certain features such as firmness, quality, and motion transfer.
The company offers three models: the LX, LXC (in Medium-Firm and Medium-Plush) and LXP (in Medium-Plush and Medium Firm). This review will specifically relate to the All Cotton Medium-Firm or the LXC model, but there are many overlapping features in all three choices.
If you prefer a brief overview, skip to the end for scoring and a summary.
You will love Joybed if you:
- Want a mattress made of more natural materials – Joybed prides themselves in their all-natural craftsmanship, meaning their beds contain no synthetic or toxic materials. The cover is made from GOTS certified organic cotton, and the layers are designed to be hypoallergenic.
- Need great edge support – A double column of coils surrounds the perimeter, giving this product above average edge support. This is ideal for couples or those who share a bed with pets and/or kids and need to use every inch of the surface.
- Sleep warm – Because Joybed is not made with foam, the coils and comfort materials are more breathable than some newer foam mattresses that tend to trap heat.
You might not like Joybed if you:
- Are light sleeper – This bed is more comparable to the feel of a traditional innerspring mattress in terms of motion transfer. Although the bounce allows for ease of movement and repositioning, if you are sharing a bed with a particularly restless partner, you may feel them move or get up during the night.
Or you can see our other top rated bed picks for 2023 here.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
Joybed is a no-foam mattress made with layers of cotton and coils held together by a GOTS Certified Organic brushed cotton cover infused with a plant fiber fire barrier. It is compressed and delivered to your door in a box and can be placed on any flat surface, including adjustable bases.
Each component of the bed is constructed from ethically sourced material and recyclable; in fact, the top layers and cover are actually biodegradable, and this particular bed is considered vegan. Although the cover is the only certifiably organic part of the mattress, Joybed assures that the layers inside the mattress are still high quality and sustainable, keeping costs down while still marketing a natural product. This is a great alternative to a latex mattress, avoiding possible latex allergies with more hypoallergenic materials.
At 11 inches tall, Joybed is assembled with layers of cotton that are supported by a foundation of coils. Keep in mind that the two other firmness options are made with the addition of certified wool and may have different dimensions.
- The first layer is a comfort layer of cotton, loosely constructed to create a more breathable, plush top.
- The second layer contains more densely packed cotton that provides more support and serves as a barrier between your body and the coils.
- The third layer is comprised of individually pocketed coils, creating a comfortable bounce in the bed. The double-columned perimeter provides extra support around the edge.
Note that the company does not publish complete details and measurements on their website.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
We scored the All Cotton Medium-Firm mattress a 7 out of 10 on our firmness scale (with 1 being the softest and 10 being the firmest), which puts this product in the medium firm range. People who prefer a slightly firmer than average surface will probably enjoy sleeping on this bed.
The Joybed is covered in organic materials, which are soft to the touch and breathable. It may feel different than covers you are used to because there is no added polyester; polyester is stretchy but tends to let moisture sit on the surface.
If you sleep particularly warm, you should love Joybed. Coiled mattresses have an easier time assuring a cool sleep because air flows more freely through it than a foam mattress. Add that to the fact that the bed is made with only natural materials, and you should not have any problems with waking up hot.
Spring mattresses tend to respond quickly, and this bed is no exception. You should find repositioning easy, and the bounce is great for some bedroom activities. The bed should make you feel like you are in a gentle cradle, laying more on top of the surface rather than sinking in as you might on foam.
Most back sleepers should find this bed to be great for spine alignment and comfortable. Exclusive back sleepers may feel more support in the Luxury Firm.
Most stomach sleepers will love the hip support this bed offers, and their weight should feel well-distributed throughout the surface.
Some side sleepers may feel more comfortable on the Luxury Plush model, which is likely to comfort the pressure of shoulders and hips better than a firmer surface.
Combination sleepers, or those that tend to move positions when they sleep, should find the All Cotton Medium comfortable for most sleeping positions; however, the company offers a 120-night trial period, so if you decide a different firmness option would be best for you, you can exchange it at no cost.
Spring mattresses are notorious for their bounciness, and with that comes inevitable motion transfer. The Medium has high motion transfer due to its thin cotton layers and coiled base, meaning that you may feel your partner getting in and out of bed and repositioning throughout the night. Those who are particularly light sleepers might be better served on the Luxury Plush model, as its added comfort layers create a larger barrier between the sleeper and the coils, and may absorbing more motion.
Joybed’s double-coiled perimeter provides excellent edge support, especially compared to its foam bed-in-a-box competitors. This is important for those who want to utilize the entire sleeping surface, like couples, people who like to get dressed sitting on the edge of the mattress, or those who play video games sitting on the end of the bed. You should feel just as supported on the edge of the mattress as you would in the center because of its innerspring design.
- Trial Period – Try out this mattress for 120 nights with a full money-back guarantee and free returns.
- Warranty – This product is covered under a 10-year warranty.
- Shipping – Joybed ships free in the continental United States.
- Multiple Firmness Options – This company offers three firmness options with comparable features.
- Optional White Glove Delivery Service – For an additional fee, Joybed will arrange for a company to deliver and set up your new bed as well as remove your old mattress.
- GOTS Certified Organic Cotton Cover – Assures the materials in the cover was made from environmentally and socially responsible and sustainable sources.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 12”||$790|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 12”||$990|
|Full||53” x 75” x 12”||$1,190|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12”||$1,390|
|King||76” x 80” x 12”||$1,790|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 12”||$1,790|
Joybed provides a comfortable, natural mattress, made with no synthetic materials, at a more affordable cost than comparable all-natural brands.
The breathable top layers and coiled foundation should keep you cool all night, and the slight bounce makes repositioning a breeze. Exclusive side sleepers may want to choose the Luxury Plush model to help relieve hip and shoulder pressure, while back and stomach sleepers should love the feel of the firmer choices.
Shoppers seeking a more natural sleeping experience will love the affordable price that mattresses with comparable features will be difficult to match.