What happens when a beautiful star explodes into a spectacular luminous display? You get a supernova. What happens when you take the award-winning Original Casper and add additional zoning, cooling, and coils? You get the Casper Nova Hybrid—which the brand calls its coziest bed yet!
One of the internet’s favorite mattress retailers has a new mattress, expanding upon its best-selling line of innovative products. If you’re looking for a plush and cozy mattress that still has excellent support and bounce, this one is worth a look!
Our in-depth Casper Nova Hybrid review touches on all the features you need to know, but if you’re short on time, skip ahead to the end for our final thoughts and scoring.
Who Do We Think Matches With Casper Nova Hybrid?
- Side sleepers – With three layers of foam over pocketed coils, side sleepers should feel comfortably cradled. Built-in zoning in two of the layers is designed to alleviate excess pressure under the shoulders and hips while keeping the spine properly aligned.
- Folks who overheat – Most beds with memory foam aren’t a good fit for sleepers prone to overheating because of their reputation for retaining heat. Casper’s foams feature Airscape™ technology to allow proper airflow and breathability, keeping sleepers cool throughout the night.
- Affordable luxury shoppers – Features like a classy eco-friendly cover, ergonomic zoning, and a cloud-like feel normally come at a cost, but this brand ships straight to your door for luxurious comfort without breaking the bank.
Possible Casper Nova Hybrid Complaints:
- It doesn’t have firmness – While a plush-like feel is at the top of many shopper’s lists, not everyone loves a soft mattress. If you’re looking for something a little firmer from the brand, you may want to check out the Casper Hybrid.
Construction: What’s inside Casper Nova Hybrid?
The Nova Hybrid stands at an impressive 12 inches tall and has 4 layers.
- Underneath the cover is a premium foam top layer featuring puff fabric that cradles the body in what’s described by the brand as a cloud-like feel. This plush and velvety layer is aerated with small perforations to help trapped heat escape.
- Next, you’ll find another layer of soft foam that’s also aerated for cooling. This layer has 3 ergonomic zones that are softer under the shoulders for pressure relief and firmer under the hips, waist, and lower back to help keep the spine properly aligned.
- The third layer is contoured memory foam that has seven support zones to reinforce the layer above.
- Finally, the fourth layer features resilient coils with a firm foam border to provide some edge support. This bottom layer adds a little spring to the bed and also allows better airflow throughout.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
Your brand new mattress ships directly to your doorstep rolled and compressed in a box. According to the company, once you unbox and let your bed expand, it should be ready to sleep on within minutes. No waiting days to test out your new bed!
One of the first things you’ll notice is the velvety-soft cover that can be removed for washing. The eco-friendly cover is made of recycled polyester, upcycled cotton, rayon, and lycra, and contains up to 70 recycled bottles. The knit fabric stretches four ways so sleepers can experience all the benefits of the layers below.
The Nova Hybrid feels like a lighter, springier Casper. The top layer is the softest foam that the company has ever used, giving it that a plush feel. Unlike some soft beds, when you lay down, you don’t sink in deeply through the layers. You should immediately notice pushback support that keeps you from feeling stuck.
Firmness Scale: 5/10
If you lay down on the floor in your typical sleeping position, you’ll quickly feel where your pressure points are. For most people, these end up being the shoulders and hips. Memory foam tends to excel in pressure relief, thanks to its contouring properties, but it also has a reputation for overheating, being slow to respond, and giving you that stuck feeling.
Casper’s approach to pressure relief includes three distinct foam layers with aeration for cooling, ergonomic zoning for dynamic relief based on your natural shape, and pocketed coils that compress individually under body weight.
Just because a bed excels in pressure relief doesn’t mean it underperforms in support. Thanks to the zoning throughout the foam layers, your lower back should feel well supported while your shoulders and hips sink in. The added lift from the springs should also work to keep your spine in neutral alignment.
Another positive benefit of the responsive foams and coils is bounce. Despite having three layers of foam, there is still a good amount of bounce in this bed that should help with getting in and out or changing positions.
Optional White Glove Delivery
While shipping is free, the company also offers upgraded options to have your mattress unboxed and set-up for you. You can also opt to have your old mattress removed for convenience.
Casper was one of the pioneers of the bed-in-a-box industry, shipping its products directly to customers without the need for middle-men. This process cuts down on costs and allows customers to shop from the comforts of their homes.
Foam beds tend to retain heat and leave sleepers feeling hot and sweaty overnight. Casper has included tiny aeration holes in the first two layers of foam that are designed to allow heat to escape. Coils can also assist by providing good airflow, but this bed may still feel a little warm to some folks.
Exceptional Edge Support
Typically, beds that are made up of mostly foam don’t have very good edge support. This means that when you get close to the edge of the bed, it feels like you’re going to fall off. Casper reinforced the perimeter of the bed around the coils with a firm foam to prevent this from happening.
Great Motion Isolation
This is especially important if you share a bed—with a partner, your kids, or even a furry friend (which could also be your partner). Typically, beds that are bouncy like this one won’t do the best job when it comes to isolating motion. Surprisingly, Casper has managed to create a bed that does both; it has a good amount of spring and cuts down on motion that could interrupt sleep - which is a must for light sleepers.
There’s a good amount of bounce, thanks to the coils and responsive foams. This can be great for people who change positions or have limited mobility and struggle with getting in and out of bed. It’s also a plus for couples who want to add a little oomph to their bedroom activities.
Adjustable Base Compatible
For a more customized sleeping experience, the Nova is adjustable-base compatible. Casper also offers adjustable bases, so you can recreate your entire sleeping space with just the click of a button.
All of Casper’s foams are CertiPUR-US certified, which means that they’ve passed rigorous safety testing around the use of ozone-depleting chemicals and are low in emissions for indoor air quality.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping - The Casper Nova Hybrid ships free to your door within the continental US and most of Canada. For a charge, shipping is also available to Hawaii, Alaska, and Northern Canada.
- Trial - Casper offers a 100-night sleep trial. If you decide it isn’t right for you, Casper offers free returns and recycles or donates many returned beds.
- Warranty - The company offers a 10-year warranty in case the bed doesn’t hold up the way it should.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 12”||$1095|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 12”||$1245|
|Full||53” x 75” x 12”||$1795|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12”||$1995|
|King||76” x 80” x 12”||$2295|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 12”||$2295|
Casper’s newest bed shouldn’t disappoint. With cooling, supportive comfort, and a coveted hybrid design, the Nova has a lot to offer at an affordable price.
Side sleepers should be very comfortable, thanks to zoned support that allows the shoulders to sink in while at the same time keeping the hips, waist, and lower back well supported. Being on the plush side should make this a good fit for most side sleepers, but some people may not like that firmer ergonomic support under the lower body.
Back sleepers should notice contouring support under the shoulders, hips, and lower spine due to the ergonomic support zones. Lighter sleepers may find that they don’t compress the materials enough to experience the deeper zones, which is something to keep in mind if you weigh less than 120 pounds.
Despite being a softer bed, most stomach sleepers should feel well supported without the mid-section sinking in too deeply. Some stomach sleepers find that their hips sink on softer beds, causing the back to arch at an awkward angle. The zoned support and coils really help to provide a good amount of support, although some heavier sleepers may not be as comfortable in this position.
This mattress should be comfortable for all positions as well as those who like to change between the three. The responsive foam and coils mean that you should be able to easily adjust positions without feeling stuck.
This bed could be a great fit for couples who sleep in different positions, thanks to its versatility. The reinforced perimeter for edge support and great motion isolation should also make this a great choice for couples.
While this bed was designed specifically for heavier sleepers and is on the softer side, it has multiple layers to transition from the plush surface to the supportive coils. It was built for lasting comfort and shouldn’t run the risk of bottoming out.
While this could work for heavier side sleepers, it is unlikely to be supportive enough for those who sleep on their stomach or back.
Most beds feel way too firm for lighter individuals who don’t sink in enough to activate the deeper layers. This means they often miss out on the bed’s full potential. Being on the plush side should allow even light folks to experience contouring relief.
Casper’s Nova is really more like a supernova, thanks to its superior features. The hybrid design offers the brand’s softest sleeping experience without sacrificing support. Cooling and a luxurious cover make this bed a real star.