If your mattress is missing that little something, a mattress topper could be the key to feeling more comfortable. A mattress topper can improve the feel of your bed, and the TEMPUR-Adapt® Topper may be the way to do it.
This topper was previously known as TEMPUR-Topper Supreme, but the company changed the name to TEMPUR-Adapt®. The topper comes in six sizes and has that well-known Tempur-Pedic quality and comfort. As such, it’s a great way of testing Tempur-Pedic without splurging on a brand-new mattress from the company.
I had a chance to test and review it, so hopefully, the details below will help you decide if it’s the right choice for you. I’ll cover everything from the materials, height, cover, firmness, and feel, and even who it would be best for, so let’s dive in.
My Video Review of the Tempur Adapt Topper
Who Is the TEMPUR-Adapt® Mattress Topper Best for?
- Memory foam fans – This mattress topper is made from the brand’s proprietary TEMPUR-Material®, which is supposed to be a more durable memory foam that’s also less likely to sag.
- People with pressure buildup – As I cover in my video review, this topper is geared towards pressure relief, and the 3-inch thickness really helps you feel the cushion it has to offer. The topper cradles your pressure points by allowing you to sink a bit, relieving the tension in your shoulders, hips, and knees.
- Side and back sleepers – Although this topper has a softer feel, it shouldn’t allow you to bottom out to the mattress underneath. I think side and back sleepers should experience a nice combination of support and pressure relief.
Who Might Not Like the TEMPUR-Adapt® Mattress Topper:
- Hot sleepers – People who tend to overheat and sweat while sleeping may find this topper a bit too hot. The cover isn’t as breathable, and a cooling one comes at an additional charge. Plus, the heat-absorbing memory foam retains heat, so it might not be the best for those who already struggle with overheating. Explore our picks for the best cooling mattress toppers.
- Heavy people and stomach sleepers – While the topper’s softer feel may work for side and back sleepers, it may be too much for stomach sleepers and those weighing over 200 pounds. I think most people in these groups would sink because the topper isn’t firm enough to keep the lumbar area supported.
- Budget shoppers – Though high-quality, Tempur-Pedic is a costly brand, so it’s no surprise this mattress topper comes at a higher price than other toppers. Explore our best budget mattress topper selections.
Sleep Advisor’s Testing Methodology
At Sleep Advisor, our mattress reviews are based on findings from in-person tests that allow us to have a genuine understanding of how the mattress feels and performs. We look at features that are valuable to consumers, such as temperature control, bounce, edge support, and motion isolation.
We also evaluate mattress performance for back, side, and stomach sleeping. Lying in different positions lets us know how supportive the bed is and if it’s good at relieving pressure.
We then take all the information we’ve gathered to rate the bed in specific categories. These results allow us to help our readers find the right mattress for their needs.
For this review, we prioritized features that are especially important for mattress toppers. We paid special attention to components such as thickness, support elements, weight capacity, and cooling.
What is the TEMPUR-Adapt® Mattress Topper Made of?
The topper has a high-stretch knit cover with moisture-wicking properties. It doesn’t feel cool to the touch and may not even be breathable enough to keep hot sleepers comfortable. However, you can upgrade to a special cooling cover for an additional cost.
One thing that stands out is that the cover is removable and washable. It zips off for easy cleaning, and what’s best is that you can wash it in a washing machine. In addition, the cover is made to repel allergens, so it should help people with allergies.
This topper’s comfort layer is made entirely out of the brand’s proprietary memory foam called TEMPUR-Material®. This foam hugs the body and allows a slow response for maximum pressure relief. Plus, it’s more durable than more standard memory foam. When I first lay on it, the topper felt a little firm, but it became pliable as soon as it absorbed a little body heat.
The TEMPUR-Adapt® is 3 inches high, which is enough to make a difference regardless of the bed you have. The topper comes in six standard mattress sizes, so you can easily pair it with your mattress. In addition, it has straps to attach it to the bed so that it doesn’t move, which I think is a nice touch. The topper works with mattresses up to 13 inches tall, so that’s another thing to keep in mind.
TEMPUR-Adapt® Mattress Topper Firmness & Feel
Firmness of the Tempur Adapt Topper
I tested this topper on a medium-firm mattress. In my opinion, the topper did an excellent job of making the surface much softer and more responsive.
However, I went the other way and put the topper on a firm mattress. This created a medium-firm surface with a nice cushioning feel. All of this makes me believe the TEMPUR-Adapt® is versatile and can be used on a range of beds, depending on the feel you’re trying to achieve.
Nonetheless, I’d still say it’s only a good fit for side and back sleepers, as it’s simply not firm enough for stomach sleepers.
Read more about mattress firmness here.
Feel of the Tempur Adapt Topper
The TEMPUR-Adapt® provides a slow response and gentle cradle. I found it’s very cushiony, contouring the curves well enough to relieve pressure and tension.
When you press your fingers into it, you’ll notice how deep they sink and how slowly the foam recovers once you remove your hand. As mentioned, although it may feel firm at first, it’ll become softer once it absorbs some of your body heat.
Sleeping on the TEMPUR-Adapt® Mattress Topper
Lying on the TEMPUR-Adapt® mattress topper is like sleeping on a cloud. The core is on the softer side, so you’ll notice it hugs your curves and relieves pressure, especially when you sleep on the side. Although it allows significant sinkage, I don’t think it could make you feel trapped as it’s only 3 inches tall.
|Weight||Side Sleepers||Back Sleepers||Stomach Sleepers
|Lightweight Sleepers (-130 lbs)||★★★||★★★||★☆☆|
|Average-Weight Sleepers (130-230 lbs)||★★★||★★☆||★☆☆|
|Heavyweight Sleepers (+230 lbs)||☆☆☆||☆☆☆||☆☆☆|
- Lightweight Sleepers – I think lightweight side sleepers should find a nice level of pressure relief and support in the TEMPUR-Adapt®. Although the topper is on the softer side, I don’t think people weighing under 130 pounds would bottom out to the mattress.
- Average Weight Sleepers – I think average-weight side sleepers may sink a bit more, but they should still find plenty of support in the TEMPUR-Material®.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Heavy side sleepers are likely to find this topper too soft to provide any support. I think they would sink too deeply into its 3-inch construction.
- Lightweight Sleepers – I’d say this topper is equally good for lightweight back sleepers as it allows enough sinkage while still supporting the lower back to prevent pain in this area.
- Average Weight Sleepers – I think average-weight back sleepers are likely to experience a deeper hug without taking away from the support level. I think most in this group should still feel nicely supported in this position.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Heavy back sleepers may feel their hips sinking too deeply into the topper, which, in my experience, can throw the spine out of alignment. For this reason, I would suggest a firmer topper for this group.
- Lightweight Sleepers – This Tempur-Pedic topper may work for some stomach sleepers weighing under 130 pounds. However, most are likely to find it too soft to support the hips, so it’s best to go with something firmer right off the bat.
- Average Weight Sleepers – Average-weight stomach sleepers may sink too deeply, especially in the hip area. As I said, this can easily result in a misaligned spine and lower back pain.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – I think stomach sleepers weighing over 230 pounds should go for a firmer topper as the TEMPUR-Adapt® is likely too soft.
TEMPUR-Adapt® Mattress Topper Sizing Options & Pricing
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 74” x 3”||$319|
|Twin Long||38” x 80” x 3”||$319|
|Full||53” x 74” x 3”||$369|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 3”||$419|
|King||75” x 80” x 3”||$469|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 3”||$469|
The TEMPUR-Adapt® feels softer, but it should still provide sufficient support for most sleepers. I think side and back sleepers should experience a nice balance of support and pressure relief, especially in the lower back and hip area. I found the topper prevents the heaviest points from sinking too deeply, but I think those weighing over 230 pounds may not get sufficient support.
Find our top picks for the best mattress toppers for back pain.
This topper is made from Tempur-Pedic’s proprietary memory foam, which is supposed to be more durable than standard memory foam. In other words, the topper is likely to last longer as it can bounce back to its original shape faster. Although it takes time to learn exactly how durable a topper is, I can say this one feels well-made and doesn’t seem like it would sag any time soon.
The TEMPUR-Adapt® mattress topper feels plush and comforting as it’s on the softer side. This 3-inch topper does an excellent job of hugging pressure points and relieving tension in the hips, shoulders, and knees. Although it may not be the most comfortable option for stomach sleepers, I think side and back sleepers should find it pretty comfortable.
This topper should be a good match for most mattresses as it comes in standard mattress sizes. However, some mattresses may be an inch bigger or smaller. Although it’s not the perfect match, an inch of a difference shouldn’t be too much of an issue.
On the other hand, it matches Tempur-Pedic mattresses perfectly. Plus, it has straps to keep it in place, which is always a plus as it makes a big difference in how secure the topper feels above a mattress.
I noticed some off-gassing upon opening the packaging, but this is normal for memory foam products. Although the odors weren’t particularly intense, I think highly sensitive people should let it vent for a day or two.
The topper cover is resistant to dust mites and allergens, and it also has moisture-wicking properties, which helps prevent bacteria buildup. However, the topper itself is not hypoallergenic.
Cleaning & Care
The cover is removable and washable, but it’s recommended that you wash it in cold water only. Removing it is easy because it has a zipper that makes the entire process a breeze. You can also dry it, but make sure to use a cold setting. The topper itself isn’t machine washable, and you’re advised against spot-cleaning or dry-cleaning.
Sleep Trial & Warranty
Tempur-Pedic offers a 10-year limited warranty with this mattress topper but no sleep trial. They don’t accept returns because of the personal nature of the product
TEMPUR-Adapt® Mattress Topper Frequently Asked Questions
How long does a Tempur-Pedic mattress topper last?
The TEMPUR-Adapt® mattress topper should last you at least three years with proper use and care. You can prolong its lifespan a bit by regularly rotating the topper to ensure an even wear.
Is a Tempur-Pedic topper good for side sleepers?
After testing this Tempur-Pedic topper, I think it’s an excellent choice for side sleepers as it feels softer and offers plenty of contouring. The way its soft core hugs the body’s curves should feel good for most side sleepers, especially those who typically struggle with pressure buildup in the hips, shoulders, and knees.
Are Tempur-Pedic toppers good for your back?
Tempur-Pedic mattress toppers should be good for your back as long as the firmness fits your needs and preferences. Those who need both support and pressure relief should find a good balance in the TEMPUR-Adapt® topper, as it should provide proper spine alignment and help prevent pressure buildup in the lower back.
How Does the TEMPUR-Adapt® Mattress Topper Compare to Other Mattress Toppers?
TEMPUR-Adapt® Mattress Topper vs. Saatva Graphite Memory Foam Topper
Who Should Get the TEMPUR-Adapt® Mattress Topper?
- Side sleepers
- Back sleepers
- People with pressure buildup
Who Should Get the Saatva Graphite Memory Foam Topper?
- Hot sleepers
- Couples and co-sleepers
- Those with a Split King bed
For more on Saatva’s topper, visit our Saatva Graphite Memory Foam topper review.
TEMPUR-Adapt® Mattress Topper vs. Helix Mattress Topper
Who Should Get the TEMPUR-Adapt® Mattress Topper?
- Lightweight sleepers
- Luxury shoppers
- Average-weight sleepers
Who Should Get the Helix Mattress Topper?
- People who want a washable topper
- Budget shoppers
- Those who need a sleep trial
For more on Helix’s topper, visit our Helix mattress topper review.
My Final Thoughts on the TEMPUR-Adapt® Mattress Topper
After testing the TEMPUR-Adapt® mattress topper, I can safely say it’s a good choice for making your firm bed a bit softer. I’d say it’s a perfect match for side and back sleepers, but only if they’re under 230 pounds. Heavy sleepers and those who sleep on their stomach will probably find it too soft, sinking in all the way to the mattress.
Noticeable drawbacks are the lack of cooling and that the special cooling cover is a separate charge. I also didn’t like that this topper doesn’t come with a sleep trial despite its hefty price.
My overall score for this topper is 3.4 out of 5.
Lead Product Tester
Julia is the Lead Reviewer at Sleep Advisor, specializing in testing out mattresses and sleep accessories – she’s in the right line of work, because she loves to sleep.