Mattress toppers can be a great way to add a welcoming comfort to your mattress. These accessories are designed to improve the feel of your bed and for mattresses that still have a few more years left in them, extend toppers can help extend their useable lifespan. Toppers can provide things like added pressure relief, more support, extra height, or even more cooling.
I tested a fair share of mattress toppers, and in this review, I’ll bring you detailed information about the Saatva Graphite mattress topper. You probably heard of Saatva as it’s one of the leading companies making high-end mattresses, such as the outstanding Saatva Classic. The Saatva Graphite topper is a luxury one, featuring graphite infusions for a cooling and comfortable sleeping experience.
Watch My Saatva Graphite Memory Foam Mattress Topper Video Review
Who Is the Saatva Graphite Memory Foam Mattress Topper Best for?
I think this mattress topper is an excellent choice if you’re looking for something to make your mattress more luxurious. The topper has a medium feel and is cooling thanks to graphite infusion.
Who Might Like the Saatva Graphite Memory Foam Mattress Topper:
- Back and side sleepers – I think most back and stomach sleepers will appreciate how the topper feels around the lower back and hips. The medium firmness of this topper should provide proper alignment while still giving plenty of pressure relief.
- Those who sleep hot – I think most hot sleepers should like how the cool-to-the-touch cover feels. The graphite infusions do a good job of keeping the temperature neutral and comfortable.
- Indecisive folks – If you’re not sure whether this topper is a good match for you, you should know Saatva offers a 180-night trial, giving you plenty of time to test it out.
Who Might Not Like the Saatva Graphite Memory Foam Mattress Topper:
- Lightweight side sleepers – Although the Saatva Graphite topper provides ample pressure relief, I think side sleepers weighing under 130 pounds may prefer a softer topper for pressure points.
- Budget shoppers – Saatva typically uses premium materials, and this often makes their products more expensive. Although you’re getting a high-quality topper, the price may be too high for those looking for a budget mattress topper.
- Those looking for easy maintenance – Washable mattress toppers are easy to maintain and clean, especially when it comes to getting rid of dust, allergens, and dirt. Unfortunately, the Saatva Graphite topper isn’t machine washable.
Sleep Advisor’s Testing Methodology
I tested the Saatva Graphite mattress topper first-hand to best understand its feel and performance. Testing a topper in various positions helps me get an idea of who could benefit most from this product. I also looked at qualities like support, comfort, pressure relief, temperature regulation, and more.
For more on our testing methodology, visit our in-depth product review process guide.
What is the Saatva Graphite Memory Foam Mattress Topper Made of?
The Saatva Graphite topper has a soft and breathable cotton cover. I found that it feels cool to the touch and is unlikely to cause overheating as it’s made from natural materials. I think the cover helps regulate body temperature by allowing airflow, which is great news for hot sleepers.
In addition, it has four elastic straps that help keep the topper in place.
What stands out the most in this mattress topper is the comfort layer made from graphite-infused memory foam. I found that it offers a comforting cradle that should fit a range of sleepers. On top of that, the graphite infusions are a cooling element that further helps prevent the topper from trapping heat.
Another thing that stands out is that you can also get this topper with classic memory foam (not infused with graphite) and natural latex.
This mattress topper is 3 inches tall, so make sure to consider the overall height of your mattress before adding another 3 inches on top of it.
Saatva Graphite Memory Foam Mattress Topper Firmness & Feel
This mattress topper has medium firmness and a contouring feel. I think this firmness should work for most people as it’s not too soft or too firm.
Back and stomach sleepers should appreciate it the most as it allows them just the right balance of pressure relief and support. I think it should also work for side sleepers, except those under 130 pounds, who may want something softer for the shoulders, hips, and knees.
The Saatva Graphite topper has a welcoming feel thanks to the cotton cover and 3 inches of memory foam. The medium firmness allows for nice contouring without taking away from the topper’s pressure-relieving abilities. Additionally, I think most people will also like the cooling sensation, especially if they often run hot at night.
Sleeping on the Saatva Graphite Memory Foam Mattress Topper
People who perhaps have a mattress that’s too firm or too soft should like the Saatva’s medium firmness. Unless you’re after a particularly soft topper, you should like how this model offers a deep, comforting hug that cradles the shoulders and back.
However, some people may still find it slightly too firm or too soft. For example, I think lightweight side sleepers may want a softer one, whereas heavy stomach sleepers may prefer a firmer topper.
- Lightweight Sleepers – Although this topper provides a nice balance of pressure relief and support, I think some lightweight sleepers may still want a softer mattress topper for more pressure relief.
- Average Weight Sleepers – I noticed a lot of cushioning in this position, and my lumbar area was also lifted just enough. My spine also felt straight and without any dipping, so back pain should also not be an issue here.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – I think the Saatva Graphite should work well for heavy side sleepers as it’s 3 inches tall and has a medium feel. Although some may experience it as a bit softer, I think the topper would do a good job of maintaining body alignment, even for heavier sleepers.
- Lightweight Sleepers – Lightweight back sleepers should enjoy the contouring pressure relief of this mattress. I think the foam should offer a nice weight distribution so no pressure builds up around the shoulders, hips, or knees.
- Average Weight Sleepers – As an average-weight sleeper, I found this topper comfortable for back sleeping. The body is lifted softly, with the topper delivering a combination of support and softness.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Although I’d expect more sinkage, this wasn’t the case. The Saatva Graphite topper does a good job of keeping the body aligned, so there should be no bottoming out on this one.
- Lightweight Sleepers – I don’t think the Saatva Graphite topper would be too firm for lightweight stomach sleepers, especially considering stomach sleepers often prefer firmer surfaces to keep the hips elevated.
- Average Weight Sleepers – I sank only a little bit but remained comfortable, so I think this is a great option for average-weight stomach sleepers. My lower back remained lifted, which we know is crucial for people with lower back pain.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – I think heavy stomach sleepers would sink a bit more around the hips, but this should still be too little to throw the spine out of alignment.
Saatva Graphite Memory Foam Mattress Topper Sizing Options & Pricing
|Price (w/o discount)
|38” x 75” x 3”
|38” x 80” x 3”
|54” x 75” x 3”
|60” x 80” x 3”
|76” x 80” x 3”
|72” x 84” x 3”
|76” x 80” x 3”
Sleep Advisor’s Performance Ratings for the Saatva Graphite Memory Foam Mattress Topper
The breathable organic cotton cover feels cool to the touch, which is always nice, especially if you’re always looking for a cool spot during the night. When I tested this topper, I found that the temperature remained cool and comfortable, even after a while, which is probably due to the combination of the cover and graphite-infused foam. In my opinion, the whole product is highly unlikely to overheat.
Read more about cooling mattress toppers here.
If you’re after a way to make your mattress more supportive, I’d recommend this topper any day. The Saatva Graphite topper has a medium firmness that I found supportive enough in all sleeping positions. On top of that, the support doesn’t take away from its pressure-relieving capabilities, so you don’t have to worry about the topper being too firm for your shoulders or hips.
The first thing I’d like to point out is that I didn’t really get a chance to properly test Saatva’s durability. I only tested it for a while, whereas it would probably take months to truly see how a mattress or a topper would hold up.
Nonetheless, being that this topper is Saatva, it’s safe to expect high quality and durability. It’s made from cotton and memory foam, both of which are durable. However, the elastic straps may stretch after a while, especially if you take the mattress cover on and off the bed a lot.
It doesn’t often happen that I come across a mattress topper that feels comfortable in all sleeping positions. Although I think some lightweight side sleepers may prefer a softer model, all other sleepers, including those who like sleeping on their stomach, should find this Saatva to be a good match. I liked how my body felt cradled yet supported in all positions.
Saatva offers this mattress topper in seven different sizes. The dimensions of each size correspond to the dimensions of Saatva and most other mattress brands’ sizes.
The topper has elastic straps to make it easier to keep in place so that it doesn’t move around on the mattress. These straps are pretty restrictive too, so I don’t think there’s a chance for the topper to slide or move even an inch.
The Saatva Graphite topper will arrive rolled up in a box to make shipping easier. Due to the nature of shipping and also the fact that it has memory foam, you may notice an off-gassing odor.
I noticed this right when I opened the package, but I must say, it’s the “new” smell most new products have. Nonetheless, the smell wasn’t offensive or chemical at all.
The Saatva Graphite mattress topper is made with premium organic cotton and graphite-infused memory foam. The foam is CertiPUR-US certified, so you can be sure the off-gassing odors aren’t harmful. On top of that, the organic cotton cover is treated with a botanical antimicrobial treatment for extra safety against dust mites, mold, and mildew.
Cleaning & Care
Mattresses and toppers are typically hard to clean. In the case of Saatva Graphite mattress topper, the only option is to spot clean. Although this isn’t too bad, I’d suggest being careful with eating and drinking in bed. The cover isn’t removable either, so all you’re left with is spot-cleaning with a mild cleaning solution.
Sleep Trial & Warranty
A 180-night trial isn’t too bad since most people should be able to test the topper well enough before the trial is up. However, I personally expected a longer warranty for the price. Saatva offers only a year-long warranty with this topper.
Saatva Graphite Memory Foam Mattress Topper Frequently Asked Questions
Is graphite-infused memory foam safe?
Yes, graphite-infused memory foam is generally considered safe. Additionally, most memory foam is hypoallergenic. The purpose of adding graphite to memory foam is to keep the material from overheating, which is a common complaint with standard memory foam.
Should I use a mattress topper?
I don’t think you need to use a mattress topper if you already have a mattress that works well for your needs and preferences. However, you absolutely can and should use it if your mattress is too firm or soft.
Similarly, it’s also a great way of making your bed space cooler if you’re a hot sleeper using a mattress that makes you sweat at night. Furthermore, mattress toppers are also a way to protect your mattress and potentially extend its lifespan.
Can I put the Saatva Graphite mattress topper in the washing machine?
No, the Saatva Graphite mattress topper isn’t machine washable. Instead, it’s spot-clean only, so you can only clean it with a mild cleaning solution.
How Does the Saatva Graphite Memory Foam Mattress Topper Compare to Other Mattress Toppers?
Saatva Graphite Memory Foam Mattress Topper vs Saatva Latex Mattress Topper
Who Should Get the Saatva Graphite Memory Foam Mattress Topper?
- Hot sleepers
- Pressure relief seekers
- Back and side sleepers
Who Should Get the Saatva Latex Mattress Topper?
- Combination sleepers
- Sexually active couples
- Back sleepers
- Those with a larger budget
For more on Saatva’s latex topper, visit our Saatva Latex topper review.
Saatva Graphite Memory Foam Mattress Topper vs Helix Mattress Topper
Who Should Get the Saatva Graphite Memory Foam Mattress Topper?
- People with allergies
- People who need a softer sleep space
- Those who want to sleep on a higher-profile bed
Who Should Get the Helix Mattress Topper?
- Stomach sleepers
- People who want something machine washable
- Extra-hot sleepers
For more on Helix’s topper, visit our Helix mattress topper review.
My Final Thoughts on the Saatva Graphite Memory Foam Topper
I think the Saatva Graphite topper should check all the boxes for most sleepers who would like to add a comfortable, contouring, and cooling mattress topper to their bed. This topper has admirable cooling properties, so I think it’ll do good in keeping your body temperature regulated through the night. The cooling comes from its cotton cover and graphite that’s infused in the memory foam.
However, some lightweight side sleepers may find it too firm, especially if they’re significantly under 130 pounds. These folks may feel the pressure building up in the hips and shoulders due to its medium firmness.
Another potential drawback is the price and the warranty that I thought would be longer, given how much the topper costs., though it does have a great trial period length. Overall, it’s a one-size-fits-all mattress topper that I’d recommend to a range of sleepers. Overall, this bed earned a 4.2 out of 5.
Lead Product Tester
Julia is the Lead Reviewer at Sleep Advisor, specializing in testing out mattresses and sleep accessories – she’s in the right line of work, because she loves to sleep.