Mattresses can be an expensive purchase. To get more years out of your bed, you may want to consider a mattress accessory such as the Helix Plush mattress topper.
Although mattress toppers are generally considerably less expensive than the bed under them, many of the same factors should be considered before purchasing one. Consumers should not only look at factors such as the materials used, construction details, and warranty information, but they should also think about how it may perform for their body type and preferred sleep position. How much one is looking to change the overall feel of their bed is another important thing to consider.
In this review of the Helix Plush mattress topper, we will break down the characteristics of the product so that you can have a detailed overview to help you decide if this is the mattress topper for you.
Who Is the Helix Plush Mattress Topper Best for?
Pros: Who Might Like the Helix Plush Mattress Topper:
- Those with allergies – This topper is made with hypoallergenic materials and is completely machine washable, making it an excellent choice for those with allergies.
- Stomach sleepers – People who prefer to sleep on their stomachs need support so that their hips don’t dip. Although this Helix topper won’t provide adequate support to elevate their hips, it can add a comforting layer of softness to those sleeping on an otherwise firm bed.
- Hot sleepers – This topper is covered with a breathable bamboo-blend fabric that helps with breathability and airflow. This should help those who get hot when they sleep stay cool throughout the night.
Cons: Who Might Not Like the Helix Plush Mattress Topper:
- Heavier sleepers – Coming in at 1.5 inches tall and using an all-polyester fiber fill, this topper may not offer enough support for heavyweight folks, and they may find themselves easily pushing through it.
- Restless sleepers – Those who toss and turn at night may not find that this mattress topper is secure enough to remain in place while they reposition.
- People who want to dramatically change the feel of their bed – This topper may feel more like a heavy comforter rather than a traditional topper. Therefore, if you’re looking for something to make a bed considerably softer or firmer, this is probably not the best fit.
Sleep Advisor’s Testing Methodology
The Helix Plush mattress topper was tested and evaluated across several fields in order to provide a comprehensive overview. The materials and construction were closely examined. Additionally, we looked at important qualities like support, pressure relief, durability, and cooling, as well as how the topper performed in different sleep positions.
What is the Helix Plush Mattress Topper Made of?
The cover is made of a breathable polyester bamboo rayon blend. To keep the fill evenly distributed across the topper, Helix uses baffle box stitching.
The comfort layer of the Helix topper consists of polyester fiber fill. It may remind you of how a pillow top mattress or even down alternative pillows and comforters feel.
This mattress topper is 1.5 inches tall.
Helix Plush Mattress Topper Firmness & Feel
This topper is very soft and thinner than more traditional toppers. Unlike foam mattress toppers, the Helix will not offer much in the way of added firmness, but it may make your bed slightly softer.
By using polyester fiber fill, this mattress topper will feel more like a mattress pad or even a thick comforter. The polyester blend fill and bamboo rayon cover offer a pleasing pillow top feel. This topper isn’t likely to provide much in the way of contouring or support, but it could give your bed a more luxurious feel.
Sleeping on the Helix Plush Mattress Topper
Most people will probably find that the Helix mattress topper doesn’t make their bed significantly softer or firmer. However, this topper can offer many sleepers a cozy, well-constructed enhancement.
We appreciate how the baffle box stitching keeps the soft, synthetic filling evenly distributed across the topper so that you won’t experience bunching in some places and other areas that are flat. Additionally, we like breathability of the bamboo rayon cover, which brings a cooling sensation that helps people from overheating throughout the night.
|Weight||Side Sleepers||Back Sleepers||Stomach Sleepers
|Lightweight Sleepers (-130 lbs)||☆☆☆||☆☆☆||★★☆|
|Average-Weight Sleepers (130-230 lbs)||☆☆☆||☆☆☆||★★☆|
|Heavyweight Sleepers (+230 lbs)||☆☆☆||☆☆☆||★★☆|
- Lightweight Sleepers – People who weigh less than 130 pounds and prefer to sleep on their sides probably won’t find the pressure relief they need for their shoulders and hips.
- Average-Weight Sleepers – Side sleepers of average weight aren’t likely to receive pressure relief around their shoulders and hips using the Helix topper. Unfortunately, the Helix doesn’t add the soft cushioning that provides relief to the smaller joints.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Although this topper has a soft and luxurious feel, it isn’t sturdy enough to deliver pressure relief to heavyweight side sleepers. Additionally, they may find that they push through this topper to the point that it feels similar to just sleeping on their mattress.
- Lightweight Sleepers – Given the relatively thin makeup and soft filling of this mattress, many lightweight back sleepers probably won’t find the kind of cushioning and contouring needed to provide relief for their lower back.
- Average-Weight Sleepers – Those who hit in the middle of the scale and prefer to sleep on their backs will probably not get the kind of pressure relief or lower back contouring needed with this topper.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Due to it only being only 1.5-inches thick and filled with polyester fibers, heavier back sleepers are likely to find that they push through this topper with ease. It probably won’t be soft or contouring enough to relieve lower back discomfort.
- Lightweight Sleepers – This soft topper could add an extra layer of comfort to lightweight stomach sleepers sleeping on a bed that keeps their hips elevated.
- Average-Weight Sleepers – If average-weight stomach sleepers are already sleeping on a bed that is firm enough to keep their hips elevated, this topper could add a bit of softness and enhance their overall sleeping experience.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Heavyweight stomach sleepers who are receiving enough hip support with their mattress may find that the Helix mattress topper provides them with an added layer of comfort and softness.
Helix Plush Mattress Topper Sizing Options & Pricing
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 1.5”||$119|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 1.5”||$119|
|Full||54” x 75” x 1.5”||$139|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 1.5”||$149|
|King||76” x 80” x 1.5”||$169|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 1.5”||$169|
Sleep Advisor’s Performance Ratings for the Helix Plush Mattress Topper
Unlike foam mattress toppers that have a tendency to trap heat, the synthetic fiber fill doesn’t do so. Additionally, the breathable bamboo rayon cover allows air to move freely. The combination of these factors makes for a topper that sleeps cool and helps keep your body temperature regulated throughout the night.
The soft synthetic filling and relative thinness of this mattress topper won’t provide much in the way of support. However, it should add a layer of luxurious softness to your mattress, which can enhance an already supportive mattress.
The bamboo blend cover and fiberfill that are used in constructing this topper are high-quality materials that should last for a long time. Further, the baffle box stitching should help keep the filling evenly distributed for years to come.
The Helix Plush mattress topper will add some softness, but the lack of foam and thin construction means this probably won’t provide as much comfort as thicker foam or latex toppers. However, the baffle box stitching does a great job of keeping the filling evenly distributed across the topper, so there is little concern about bunching in some areas and a lack of filling in others.
All Helix toppers come with a 15-inch skirt to secure the topper to the bed. While this will provide security for sleepers who are mainly stationary, the skirt may not keep the topper from shifting throughout the night if you’re a combination or restless sleeper. The dimensions of this topper align with their mattress size counterparts close to exactly, meaning that sleepers won’t have to be concerned with gaps or overhangs.
This mattress topper is not compressed and rolled into a box for shipping, and it isn’t constructed with latex or foam. Therefore, the chemical smell known as off-gassing, which can happen when a topper expands, isn’t present with the Helix topper.
This mattress is made with hypoallergenic synthetic filler, and it is completely machine washable. Therefore, those who experience allergy symptoms should enjoy that this topper can easily be cleaned to clear it of dirt, dust, mold, and other allergens.
Cleaning & Care
Cleaning should be a breeze since you can wash this product in a machine. It is recommended to wash it in cold water with a mild detergent. You can then place it into the dryer on a tumble dry low setting.
Sleep Trial & Warranty
Helix provides a 100-night sleep trial so that you can have plenty of time to decide if this mattress topper is right for you. If it isn’t the best fit, you can return it at any point during the trial period for a full refund. However, if you do keep it, you have a 1-year warranty.
Helix Mattress Topper Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between a mattress topper, mattress pad, and mattress protector?
These bedding accessories have some similarities in construction and materials, but each of them serves a distinctly different purpose. Mattress toppers can be used to alter the overall feel of a bed, as well as the type of support that a sleeper may receive. They either sit on top of the mattress or are secured to the bed using straps or a skirt.
A mattress pad is typically thinner than a topper and usually adds some cushioning. In addition to a layer of comfort, pads serve as a layer of protection for the mattress below.
Mattress protectors are generally not much thicker than a sheet so they add little to no padding or cushioning. However, they are usually waterproof so they should help protect your mattress from sweat, accidents, and spills.
Can I wash the Helix mattress topper?
Yes, you can wash the Helix mattress topper in a washing machine. Simply remove it from your bed, place it in the washing machine, and use a cold water cycle and mild detergent to clean your topper. Once it is finished in the washing machine, tumble dry on low heat.
Do I have to wait to sleep on my Helix mattress topper?
Although some mattress toppers made from foam or latex may take up to 48 hours to fully expand, the Helix mattress topper should be ready for use the moment it arrives.
How Does the Helix Mattress Topper Compare to Other Mattress Toppers?
Helix Plush Mattress Topper vs Casper Comfy Mattress Topper
Casper Mattress Topper
A cozy topper that could be great for those in need of extra pressure relief.
Who Should Get the Helix Plush Mattress Topper?
- Budget shoppers
- Stomach sleepers looking to add some softness to their otherwise firm bed
- Those who want a topper that is completely machine washable
Who Should Get the Casper Comfy Mattress Topper?
- Sleepers who need good pressure relief
- Those looking for a long-lasting, durable mattress topper
- Hot sleepers
For more on Casper’s topper, visit our Casper Comfy mattress topper review.
Helix Plush Mattress Topper vs Nolah Mattress Topper
Who Should Get the Helix Plush Mattress Topper?
- Shoppers looking for a hypoallergenic product
- Folks who want to add a little softness to their mattress
- Those who want a topper with a built-in way to secure it to the bed
Who Should Get the Nolah Mattress Topper?
- People who like sleeping more ‘on top of’ their topper rather than ‘in’ it
- Side and back sleepers who want extra pressure relief
- People who want a traditional foam topper
For more on Nolah’s topper, visit our Nolah mattress topper review.
The Helix Plush mattress topper is a convenient and inexpensive way to add a little more softness to your mattress. In many ways, this topper is reminiscent of a pillow top or even a down-alternative comforter, but that also means it won’t dramatically change the feel of your mattress, nor will it add much in the way of firmness or support.
However, for those who are looking to add some softness to their otherwise satisfactory mattress, this Helix topper could be an excellent choice. Additionally, given its synthetic fill materials and bamboo cover, this topper can also help promote airflow and keep you cool throughout the night. Our overall score for this product is 4.1 out of 5.
Sosha Lewis is a staff writer for Sleep Advisor. Lewis is happy that she is able to combine her love of sleep with her love of writing.