An excellent way to extend the life of your mattress is to add a mattress topper. If your bed isn’t quite to your liking, adding a topper is also a relatively inexpensive way to change the overall feel of your mattress. However, just as there are many factors to consider when choosing a mattress, there are also various characteristics that you will want to consider when purchasing a mattress topper. When it comes to buying mattresses or accessories such as toppers, it is also important to consider your sleep position and body type as these can impact how compatible the product is.
This review will break down the materials and construction of the Nolah mattress topper. We will also evaluate how it performs for a variety of body types and sleep positions so that readers will have a comprehensive understanding of this topper.
Who Is the Nolah Mattress Topper Best for?
Pros: Who Might Like the Nolah Mattress Topper:
- People who prefer easy maintenance – Unlike some other toppers that only allow for spot cleaning, the cover of the Nolah mattress topper can be removed and machine washed.
- Fans of customization options – This Nolah topper is offered in either a Plush or Luxury Firm version, giving consumers more variety.
- Sleepers who value a secure mattress topper – With four strong, elastic bands that wrap around the corners of a mattress, the Nolah topper should stay securely in place, even with restless sleepers.
Cons: Who Might Not Like the Nolah Mattress Topper:
- Heavyweight sleepers – Neither the Plush nor the Luxury Firm option of the Nolah mattress topper is likely to be supportive or thick enough for those on the heavier side. These sleepers may push through the topper too quickly, losing out on the benefits of this product.
- Folks who like to sleep ‘in’ a mattress topper – Those who want their mattress topper to envelope them in a deep hug may want to look at a more traditional topper. The AirFoam™️ used in the Nolah doesn’t contour the body in the same way that traditional memory foam does, and this may give sleepers the feeling of sleeping ‘on top of’ the mattress topper rather than ‘in’ it.
- Stomach sleepers – Stomach sleepers need a firmer topper to help support their hips. If the hips sink too far down it can cause issues with spinal alignment and lead to lower back pain.
Sleep Advisor’s Testing Methodology
To provide a comprehensive evaluation, we test accessories like the Nolah mattress topper for important features like pressure relief, support, durability, cooling, and more. We also assess how the product stacks up in different sleep positions. By doing so, we have a thorough understanding of who we think this product could work best for.
What is the Nolah Mattress Topper Made of?
The cover has a quilted diamond pattern and is made up of polyester, organic cotton, and a poly-lycra blend. Four sturdy, elastic bands are attached to the corners of this topper to secure it to the bed. You can remove the cover and wash it in a machine.
This mattress topper is made exclusively with Nolah’s proprietary AirFoam™️, which is made from polyurethane foam. This type of foam has a similar feel to traditional memory foam, but it tends to sleep cooler and keeps people from sinking too far into the topper.
The Nolah mattress topper will add 2 inches to the profile of your bed.
Nolah Mattress Topper Firmness & Feel
There are two firmness options available for the Nolah Mattress Topper: Plush and Luxury Firm. This review focuses on the Luxury Firm, but when it comes to the Plush mattress topper, Nolah states that it offers deep body contouring and provides pressure relief around the hips and shoulders, which could be good for side sleepers.
The Luxury Firm model provides a combination of the pressure relief typically found in soft toppers with the supportiveness of firmer ones for a topper that meets the needs of a variety of sleepers.
The organic cotton and poly blend cover is soft to the touch. When lying on the Nolah topper, it may feel a little more buoyant than traditional memory foam toppers. The AirFoam™️ should offer gentle contouring for pressure relief, but sleepers aren’t likely to sink too deep into this topper. In fact, some people may feel more elevated sleeping on this accessory.
However, this topper could still feel rather slow to respond when repositioning. Due in large part to the sturdy elastic straps, this topper shouldn’t slip and slide around on the mattress, and this should create a secure sleeping environment.
Sleeping on the Nolah Mattress Topper
Coming in at only 2 inches tall, the Nolah is relatively thin for a mattress topper. However, thanks to the buoyancy of the AirFoam™️, most sleepers won’t feel as if they are bottoming out. In fact, we think this topper offers the right mixture of plush cushioning and firm support to appeal to most side and back sleepers.
However, stomach sleepers, with the exception of those on the lighter end of the scale, may be better served with a firmer mattress topper.
|Weight||Side Sleepers||Back Sleepers||Stomach Sleepers
|Lightweight Sleepers (-130 lbs)||★★★||★★★||★★☆|
|Average-Weight Sleepers (130-230 lbs)||★★★||★★★||☆☆☆|
|Heavyweight Sleepers (+230 lbs)||★★☆||★☆☆||☆☆☆|
- Lightweight Sleepers – Those who are on the lower range of the scale and sleep on their sides often have to deal with pressure buildup around the small joints of their shoulders and hips. The softness of this mattress topper should alleviate pressure for these sleepers.
- Average-Weight Sleepers – People weighing between 130-230 pounds who prefer to sleep on their sides are likely to appreciate the gentle contouring and pressure relief provided by the Nolah mattress topper.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Given that this topper is only 2 inches thick, some heavyweight sleepers may push through it too quickly, but many may also appreciate that it keeps them elevated enough to help prevent pressure from building up.
- Lightweight Sleepers – Lightweight back sleepers will appreciate the gentle cradle and great lower back support that this topper should provide them.
- Average-Weight Sleepers – The lower back can sometimes be a painful area for back sleepers. However, we feel this topper could help diminish lower back pain in average-weight sleepers by providing contouring support for that area.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – While some heavier back sleepers may benefit from the contouring AirFoam™️ and medium-firm feel, most could find themselves bottoming out on this 2-inch topper.
- Lightweight Sleepers – Most lighter folks who sleep on their stomach are likely to find that this mattress topper will keep their hips elevated to prevent back pain, which can happen when hips sag and spines get out of alignment.
- Average-Weight Sleepers – Average-weight stomach sleepers may want to find an alternative to this topper as it probably won’t support their hips enough, which could lead to back pain.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – One of the main factors that stomach sleepers need in a topper is that it is firm and supportive enough to keep their hips from sagging. We don’t think heavier stomach sleepers will get that from this product.
Nolah Mattress Topper Sizing Options & Pricing
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 2”||$299|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 2”||$319|
|Full||54” x 75” x 2”||$349|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 2”||$399|
|King||76” x 80” x 2”||$449|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 2”||$449|
Sleep Advisor’s Performance Ratings for the Nolah Mattress Topper
Although this topper echoes a traditional memory foam one in many ways, one way that it differs is in how it regulates temperature. The AirFoam™️ is free from the heat-trapping chemicals that are often used in memory foam, and it is covered with a breathable organic cotton that wicks sweat and moisture away.
This topper’s support is provided by 2 inches of AirFoam™️. Nolah’s proprietary AirFoam™️ is responsive but somewhat slow-moving. It provides gentle contouring, but most sleepers won’t sink too far into this topper. While this topper should provide good support to most back and side sleepers, it won’t provide enough support for most stomach sleepers.
Nolah uses quality materials for the cover, fill, and elastic straps that should hold up well through normal wear and tear. The cover is removable and machine washable, which is great for cleaning up stains, but you could break down the cover faster if you wash it a lot.
Also, the straps are sturdy, and while there should be no real problems with them becoming stretched out, it would be possible if the mattress was moved a lot. However, Nolah does offer a 10-year limited warranty, which is a good indication that the company feels that this is a durable product.
Comfort is an essential aspect of sleep, and many people should find that this mattress topper makes their bed more comfortable. The AirFoam™️ is more responsive than traditional memory foam, and although it is somewhat slow-moving, it is still fairly easy to move around on this topper. It provides an elevated feeling, and most folks won’t have to worry about feeling stuck.
The four elastic straps of this mattress topper keep it secured to the bed. Sleepers won’t have to worry about the topper, which shares the same dimensions as most mattresses, shifting throughout the night.
The Nolah mattress topper will arrive compressed and rolled into a box. Once it is removed from the box, it will take some time for it to expand to its full size. As it expands, the topper may release a slight chemical smell known as off-gassing. This is due to the compression, and it is not anything to be concerned about. Any chemical scent should dissipate within 48 hours.
Although this topper does not use specific hypoallergenic materials in its construction, the organic cotton cover can be machine washed. This can greatly reduce the buildup of dirt, mold, dust mites, and other allergens that can collect over time.
Cleaning & Care
A machine washable cover is an excellent feature for a mattress topper, and the Nolah topper has one for easier maintenance. The company recommends washing it in warm water with a mild detergent and using low heat when drying.
Sleep Trial & Warranty
Nolah gives you a 30-night sleep trial so that you can decide if the mattress is right for you. While the trial is somewhat short, it does come with an above-average warranty of 10 years.
Nolah Mattress Topper Frequently Asked Questions
Is it worth investing in a mattress topper?
Mattress toppers can definitely be a worthwhile and wise investment. They can improve a bed’s comfort level and make it softer or more firm. Additionally, they are considerably less expensive than a new mattress, and toppers can extend a mattress’ lifespan by providing an added layer of protection over it.
Are Nolah mattress toppers durable?
Nolah definitely builds a sturdy mattress topper. It is made with durable materials, and Nolah gives their mattress topper a 10-year warranty, which is also a good sign of durability.
Where are Nolah mattresses and mattress accessories manufactured?
Nolah is based in Colorado, and all of their products are made in the United States.
How Does the Nolah Mattress Topper Compare to Other Mattress Toppers?
Nolah Mattress Topper vs Saatva Graphite Memory Foam Topper
Who Should Get the Nolah Mattress Topper?
- Shoppers who are looking for a long-lasting, durable mattress topper
- People who want a topper that will stay in place throughout the night
- Consumers who want something easy to clean
Who Should Get the Saatva Graphite Memory Foam Topper?
- Hot sleepers
- Pressure relief seekers
Nolah Mattress Topper vs Helix Mattress Topper
Who Should Get the Nolah Mattress Topper?
- People who want several firmness options to choose from
- Sleepers who want to feel more ‘on top of’ their bed
- Back sleepers
Who Should Get the Helix Mattress Topper?
- People with allergies
- Hot sleepers
- Budget shoppers
Our Final Thoughts on the Nolah Mattress Topper
The Nolah mattress topper is a durable and cost-effective way to extend the life of your mattress or change the overall feel of it.
Restless sleepers should appreciate the sturdy elastic straps that help keep this topper securely in place throughout the night. Additionally, side and back sleepers should appreciate the gentle contouring and pressure-relieving properties of this mattress; whereas those who prefer to sleep on their stomach will probably not find this topper supportive enough.
The Nolah topper comes in two firmness options, Plush and Luxury Firm, which are great for customization. The topper’s industry-leading 10-year means the brand stands behind their product, which should put shoppers at ease as they know they are getting a quality product. Our overall score for this product is 3.9 out of 5.
Sosha Lewis is a staff writer for Sleep Advisor. Lewis is happy that she is able to combine her love of sleep with her love of writing.