Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
How can latex offer a more natural sleep than some other mattress choices?
Brooklyn Bedding has released several mattress options that fit a variety of sleepers, and the brand constructs their products to fill different niches within the mattress market. The Bloom mattress is geared towards individuals looking for a more natural comfort option.
Latex can be a more expensive material. Brooklyn Bedding reduces the cost by manufacturing their products in-house, cutting out the middleman so you can get the best bang for your buck.
Our in-depth overview of the Bloom bed uses our unique scoring system to analyze the different layers of the mattress and tests areas like comfort, durability, and overall value. This product comes in a Soft, Medium, or Firm option, but for this review, we will be looking at the Medium.
Read on to catch our full analysis or skip on down to the bottom to check out our scoring and summary.
You will love Bloom if you:
- Enjoy Bounce – Latex is a naturally buoyant material that comes from rubber trees. The bounce is slightly different than what you might experience in an innerspring mattress, but it will provide plenty of bounce to facilitate repositioning.
- Need cooling – Latex is a naturally breathable material allowing air to circulate through the mattress and up to your body. Bloom is made from a blend of synthetic and natural latex, which they claim tends to be even cooler than an all natural material. Finally, the euro top is quilted with moisture wicking wool so the temperature of your mattress can stay well regulated.
- Want latex – Because of its durable properties, latex is an up and coming star in the mattress industry. It is an endurance product built to last long past its warranty. It is more natural than some of the other materials that are used to make bedding products and also has an incredibly unique feel that many find comfortable and supportive.
You might not like Bloom if you:
- Want memory foam – Both memory foam and latex have their own unique feels. Memory foam gives that soft hug many have come to love, but latex often has the upper hand in overall responsiveness. Bloom offers comforting conforming properties as well as a bounce that eases repositioning.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
Ding-Dong! Your Bloom Mattress has arrived compressed in a box and is ready for setup. Now what?
Bloom is simply installed on an assortment of compatible foundation options: non-flexible box springs, metal foundations, adjustable frames, or a non-flexible platform frame with slats that are no more than 4″ apart. On the company’s website, they offer their own metal foundations that have been designed specifically to work with their mattresses.
Joma™ Wool is stitched into the 1.25-inch cotton euro top cover. The wool helps to regulate temperature by wicking away moisture and when combined with the cotton the material provides a comforting top cushion. On the bottom of the cover, the manufacturer has designed a zipper that allows customers to remove and replace the comfort layer of the bed.
This bed stands at approximately 10 inches tall.
- The first layer is 3 inches of Talalay Latex. This is a natural and synthetic blend. This layer is responsive to weight, whipping away pressure and providing a moderate bounce. This gently conforming comfort material determines the firmness.
- The second layer is an extremely breathable 6” Talalay Latex Core. This is the foundation and support center for the bed. This firmer and thicker layer cushions the heavier concentrated areas of your body. This should influence proper spine alignment and overall sleep support.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
We rated the Medium option of this bed at a 6.5 on our firmness scale which rates mattresses between a 1 and 10 with a 10 being the firmest possible option. We rated the Soft version at a 5 and the Firm at an 8.5.
When first experiencing this product you should feel yourself sink through the soft natural euro top and find the responsive foam beneath contouring to your anatomy. This should leave you feeling well supported and adequately comfortable a deeper cradle.
Latex naturally has a good deal of bounce that helps sleepers seamlessly reposition themselves during the night. This is key for people who consider themselves to be combination sleepers.
Back sleepers do really well with latex. They should feel the foam contouring around their lower back and shoulders. This Medium should fit most people who rest on their backs, but back sleepers who like a firmer bed have that option.
Side Sleepers should feel their hips and shoulders sink through the euro top and find a gentle contour in the top comfort layer. The base layer should support the weight of these areas well. Some curvier folks might find the Medium does not allow them to sink in as much as they would like, in this case, we would recommend the Soft model.
Stomach sleepers typically like to lie on a bed that can keep their hips aligned with the rest of their body. These sleepers should not need to worry about their hips sinking in too deep seeing as this Medium foam does a fine job at keeping their entire body supported. There may be a few stomach sleepers who find this bed to be too soft because it allows their hips to sink deeper than their chest into the foam, in which case we would point them towards the Firm option.
The manufacturer has a weight limit of 900 pounds or 450 per side for their Full through California King models.
Nobody likes to feel someone else hopping in and out of bed all night long. Motion isolation is great for people who share their mattress with kids, pets, or a sleeping partner.
Foams typically do better in this category than classic innerspring beds, and latex foam is no exception. Although buoyant by nature, most latex slows motion down before it can travel clear across the surface. Bloom does a pretty great job keeping it at bay so most can rest peacefully on their side of the bed.
Edge reinforcement can be important for couples who want to optimize their sleeping area. Beds that are designed to be compressed and shipped in boxes do not always perform well in this particular area. A bed with weak edges can often give sleepers a sensation that they are rolling off the edge of the bed while they are resting.
Bloom performs on par with the industry standard. Because the base is firm and designed to support heavy weights this should help to reinforce the material as a whole. While lying on the side of the bed, folks should feel secure and when sitting on the edge there may be some slight compression.
- Multiple Firmness options – Customers have the option of ordering this in a Soft, Medium, or Firm.
- Trial Period – The company gives customers a 120-Night trial and if the firmness does not satisfy expectations, the comfort layer can be exchanged for a different firmness option and if you are still not happy you can return the product for a full refund.
- Warranty – The brand provides a 10-year warranty with every sale.
- Shipping – The product is shipped for free anywhere in the mainland United States. Delivery is available in Canada, Hawaii, and Alaska for an additional fee.
- Oeko-Tex Class 1 Certified – This certification indicates that the latex used in this product was tested at each stage of its development and found to meet meticulous safety standards that search for potentially dangerous substances and chemicals.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 10”||$1,699|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 10”||$1,749|
|Full||54” x 75” x 10”||$1,999|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 10”||$2,249 |
|King||76” x 80” x 10”||$2,899|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 13.5”||$2,899 |
The Bloom provides a cool and comfortable nights sleep that should leave most sleepers feeling well supported. Its multiple firmness options and exchange policy can be a great asset for those unsure of what feel they want in a sleeping product.
Because Bloom Mattress is made from a natural and synthetic Talalay latex blend the company claims it should sleep cooler than a pure natural latex, allowing the body to rest more comfortably.
The company targets this product towards people looking for a comfortable latex option that strives to reduce its carbon footprint by using natural materials during production.
Brooklyn Bedding takes sleep personally. This is why they are willing to help their customers find the product that is right for them. They offer a diverse mattress lineup so you can find what best fits you!