Can two hybrids really be all that different?
While there are plenty of similarities between these two hybrid beds, there are several key differences that different types of sleepers are bound to be drawn to. This comparison of Avocado vs. Nest Bedding will show you how these two products stack up to each other and who they should work best for.
Quick Comparison: Avocado vs. Nest Bedding Owl
- Eco-friendly bed
- Traditional innerspring feel
- Affordable price
SLEEPADVISOR12 or click the button below
- Traditional innerspring feel
- Exceptional edge support
Avocado is a company dedicated to clean and natural products who decided to create their own line of beds after finding themselves unsatisfied with the organic mattress market. Nest Bedding is a family owned company that believes in working side-by-side with their customers, rather than simply trying to make a sale.
To learn more about each item, click through to our in-depth reviews:
Comparing Construction (Materials & Quality)
This hybrid contains GOLS ceritifed Dunlop latex and steel coils. The bed is compressed and shipped inside a box.
The cover of this 11-inch mattress is made of organic cotton and temperature-regulating GOTS certified wool. Wool rosettes create a button tufted design that helps to reduce the need for unnatural adhesives. An additional pillow top can be added to the purchase along with the bed, adding an extra 2 inches in height.
- The top layer contains a 2-inch Dunlop latex. This material has been aerated to promote temperature regulation and airflow.
- The second layer reduces waste by upcycling 8-inch Steel Coils. This coil system features 3 comfort zones to provide adequate support or relief to the shoulders, the hips, and the knees. Proper spinal alignment should be noticed due to the personalized support.
- The bottom layer consists of a 1-inch Dunlop latex meant to provide a firm foundation for the upper materials.
- The perimeter promises a sense of stability across the entire mattress through the use of reinforced coils.
Nest Bedding Owl Construction
This coil and latex hybrid is compressed and boxed when it is shipped.
The mattress is 12.5 inches tall and features an organic cotton cover that boasts a 1.5-inch EcoFlex foam that creates a pillow top feel. You have the option of also ordering a more organic version of this same model that differs slightly.
- The top layer contains a 3-inch Dunlop latex that is designed to be responsive. Shoppers should notice the material conforms to the body, which should promote pressure relief. This material should provide ample, surface-level bounce.
- The second layer is a 1-inch transitional material called Eco-Friendly foam.
- The third layer holds a Caliber™ Edge coil system that stands 6 inches tall. The individually pocketed design of the coils should promote airflow. This system should provide a deep level of comfort that promotes proper spinal alignment by compressing or pushing back depending on the sleeper’s position.
- The final layer should provide a sturdy foundation to the mattress due to the 1-inch Transitional Foam.
- The perimeter utilizes reinforced coils to promote consistent edge-to-edge support.
Comparing Firmness (Support & Feel)
Our comfort (firmness) scale should help you to determine how each model will feel to most shoppers. We have assigned rankings to each mattress on a scale of 1-10, where 1 is the softest feel and 10 is the firmest. Comfort may vary depending on the individual, but this guide should give a good idea of how these products perform.
Avocado features a medium-firm score of 7, which should appeal to stomach and back sleepers who prefer more solid support. The Owl bed is available in 3 comfort options, the soft model features a score of 3, the medium is a 5.5, and the firm model is ranked at 8.5. Either model should work well for people seeking firm comfort, for a more medium or soft experience, buyers might consider the Owl.
Lying on the Avocado bed, the cover should feel breathable and temperature neutral. The zoned coils should provide both compression and support, with a focus on proper spinal alignment that fills the lumbar region.
Nest should offer a plush initial feel due to the foam inside the cover and an extra inch of latex comparatively. The coils should then offer more firm support along with individualized compression depending on the person’s position and body type.
Comparing Sinkage and Bounce
Shoppers should float on top of the Avocado bed, being supported by a gentle cradle, the Nest mattress should offer the same level of sinkage in the medium model, with more of a deeper cradle being provided by the soft version. The Avocado should offer a moderate level of bounce that promotes easy movement. Nest’s combination of flexible foam in the cover, along with the coil system, may provide a somewhat higher level of bounce, making it a good choice for people who are especially concerned with mobility.
Comparing Motion Transfer
Because of the coil systems in each item, there may be quite a bit of motion transfer present in both. Most shoppers should have no trouble sleeping soundly on either bed. However, if you sleep light and motion control is a major concern due to restless partners or wiggly pets, Avocado may be a safe choice as the optional soft mattress topper can be added to further reduce the levels of bounce in this bed.
Comparing Edge Support
Both brands should provide excellent edge support as they both feature reinforced coils around their perimeters. Couples should feel comfortable spreading out a little without feeling as though they might be ejected from either bed.
Avocado vs. Nest Bedding Owl Compared Side-by-Side
|Cover||Organic cotton and wool||Organic cotton, wool and EcoFlex foam|
|Materials||Dunlop latex and steel coils||Dunlop latex and steel coils|
|Cooling||Wool and individually pocketed coils||Individually pocketed coils, wool|
|Firmness||7/10||3/10, 5.5/10, 8.5/10|
|Sinkage||Gentle Cradle||Gentle Cradle|
|Trial Period||365 nights||365 nights|
|Certifications||GOTS, GREENGUARD Gold, OEKO-TEX®, and eco-INSTITUT®, GOLS, Made Safe||OEKO-TEX®, GOTS, and GOLS|
|Adjustable Base Compatible||Yes||Yes|
|Shipping||Free in the United States, optional In-Home Delivery service is available for additional fee||Free to the contiguous United States, Canada shipping is available, White Glove service is optional|
|Made in the USA||Yes||Yes|
|Size||Avocado Price (w/o discount)||Nest Price (w/o discount)|
|Split Cali King (1 side only)||N/A||$1,249|
Should I Buy Avocado or Nest Bedding Owl?
Ready to choose your favorite hybrid model? Check out our recommendations to learn which mattress should work best for different types of sleepers.
We Would Recommend Buying Avocado if You are Looking for:
- Zoned support. There are 3 comfort zones in the coil unit that offer support and compression as-needed for varying areas of the body.
- An optional pillow top. Shoppers can further enhance their mattress by including the available pillow top. This is likley to offer extra pressure relief and motion absorption with a slightly plusher feel.
- Enhanced motion control. If minimizing disruptions caused by the movement of restless partners is a concern, the higher levels of motion control offered by this mattress should be ideal.
We Would Recommend Buying Nest Bedding if You are Looking for:
- Multiple comfort options. Shoppers may choose between soft, medium and firm comfort options that should appeal to a wide range of sleep types.
- Organic options. This product is also available in an organic version, which is GOLS certified and features natural wool batting.
- Extra bounce. This bed should provide high levels of bounce that should ease in repositioning, allowing combination sleepers to transition into a new sleeping position with minimal resistance.
Both brands should be a great choice for fans of hybrids with enhanced edge support and minimal sinkage. Avocado should be a good fit for those seeking a medium-firm feel with zoned comfort and enhanced motion control. Nest should appeal to shoppers who prefer multiple comfort options and lots of bounce.
Our individual in-depth reviews of each bed will provide you with a closer look at each product. Or you can take a look at our highest rated beds for 2021 for further browsing.