Are you environmentally conscious but afraid to empty your wallet on a good night's rest by purchasing an expensive organic mattress?
Nest Bedding delivers a hybrid latex mattress that serves those who have both a budget and their carbon footprint in mind. Not only do they provide a luxury mattress in both Natural Latex and Organic Latex models but they do so at a more affordable price that includes a Lifetime Warranty and Comfort Guarantee.
This in-depth review of Nest Bedding’s Hybrid Latex Mattress is scored using standards we developed to help you find your best night’s sleep. It will analyze the key characteristics that you look for in a bed, such as comfort, support, and overall quality.
The brand does offer a hybrid in Natural and Organic options, but this review will focus on the Natural model set to a Medium firmness level. The manufacturer also ships a Plush and Firm model in either the Natural or Organic models.
Keep reading for our detailed review or go ahead and skip right on down to our wrap up and scoring sections below.
You will love the Nest Bedding Hybrid Latex if you:
- Eco-friendly shoppers – With both the Natural and Organic options of this product, Nest Bedding goes above and beyond to provide an environmentally conscious choice of mattress. The Natural version has both a GOTS and OEKO-TEX® certifications, while the Organic model boasts a GOTS and two GOLS certifications. These are industry-independent organizations that guarantee the omission of hazardous materials.
- Want a traditional innerspring feel – The support layer in this product consists of pocketed coils that enhance the bounce and airflow of a traditional innerspring design by providing a latex comfort layer that enhances both comfort and motion isolation.
- Folks who share a bed – Those that share their sleeping area with children or a fluffy friend appreciate a bed with great edge support because edge-to-edge support creates more usable space. The pocketed coils are designed using a trademarked Caliber™ Edge support system that provides a superior edge.
You might not like the Nest Bedding Hybrid Latex if you:
- It doesn’t have a memory foam feel – Unlike memory foam, Latex is more quick to respond, and while you may sink into the bed, it does not conform as specifically to your body. This looser cradle in more breathable materials generally allows sleepers to find a cooler night’s rest and easier time transitioning between sleeping positions.
For more different options we'd suggest you to take a look at our top rated list of beds.
Construction: What’s Inside Nest Hybrid Latex?
The non-removable cover is made with organic cotton and Joma wool and quilted with a thin, 1.5-inch layer of EcoFlex foam. The cover does zip open to reveal the inside of the mattress but should only be spot cleaned as needed.
The zipper opening is designed to allow sleepers to access the initial comfort foam layer for rotating and flipping (recommended every six months) or to update/change the feel of your bed. During the 100-night trial, you have the option of selecting a different firmness level by switching out this layer. This accessibility also extends the life of your purchase by allowing you to replace this comfort layer years down the road.
Overall, the Nest Hybrid Latex stands 12.5 inches tall and has 4 unique layers:
- The first layer is 3 inches of Medium OEKO-TEX® Dunlop Latex. This responsive comfort layer conforms to curves and provides surface-level bounce to assist repositioning sleepers.
- The second layer is a 1-inch layer of transitional Eco-Friendly Comfort Foam that helps to ease the sleeper's body into the support layer beneath.
- The third layer is made of a 6-inch Caliber™ Edge pocketed coil system. This support layer adds comfort by providing deep compression support and supplementary airflow through the mattress. This helps reduce heat, so you can rest cool and comfortably.
- The base layer consists of a 1-inch layer of transitional foam that acts to support and protect the coil layer. This foam is denser than the first layer and acts as an additional casing for the mattress.
- The perimeter is reinforced with fabric encased steel coils that provide additional edge support. These coils are firmer than those in the center of the mattress.
The Organic Latex model compares similarly to the Natural. The greatest differences are that the Organic presents a GOLS Certified Latex, has GOTS certified wool, and provides pressure relief with 12" thick construction.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
This Nest Bedding model is compressed in a box and delivered to your door. Once inside your home, four heavy-duty handles should make installation a breeze.
It is designed to rest on a flat, rigid, non-flexible foundation, and the manufacturer offers two suitable products on their website. It is also compatible with an adjustable base.
The Nest Bedding Hybrid Latex mattress offers three firmness levels. When getting into the Medium version, there is a noticeable amount of bounce, but as you lay down and sink into a gentle cradle, you can feel the comfort and support it provides. Sleepers, especially combination sleepers, should enjoy the ease of movement this product allows.
The porous EcoFlex foam that is quilted into the plush cotton cover provides sleepers with top layer experience similar to an ultra-thin memory foam mattress topper.
Firmness Scale: 4.5/10 (Plush), 6.5/10 (Medium), 8.5/10 (Firm)
If you’ve ever had the experience of camping out under a starry sky, you’re probably familiar with after-bite and what it feels like to experience the full weight of your body without any relief for your curvier parts. Beds that excel in the area of pressure relief have materials that compress and conform, contouring to your body’s shape.
Thankfully, this hybrid is one of those beds. The latex and foam layers offer contouring support, while the pocketed coils are designed to flex independently to provide pressure relief in areas like your hips and shoulders.
On the far opposite end of the spectrum, sleeping on a surface that is too plush can leave your body sinking through to the layers and ending up in an unnatural position for your spine. That’s why balance is key when it comes to what you sleep on.
This hybrid features supportive Dunlop latex that is known for being responsive and durable over time. The coil system is the main support system and offers individualized support by flexing according to your body weight and shape. Coil systems also add to the longevity of the mattress since they don’t break down over time like foam.
Multiple Firmness Options
Nest Bedding offers both hybrid models in three levels of firmness so shoppers can choose the option that best matches their body, weight, and sleep style.
The zipper around the comfort layer allows you to change out the latex if you decide you need a different level of firmness or if it becomes less responsive over time.
The company offers factory-direct shipping, meaning your mattress is shipped directly to your door without the involvement of middle-men. This reduces costs, which allows the company to offer competitive pricing.
Unlike traditional foams, latex doesn’t retain heat. It is also aerated with holes throughout that allow trapped heat to escape. Between the latex and the individually pocketed coils, this mattress should have good airflow that helps to keep sleepers cool throughout the night.
Exceptional Edge Support
The Caliber™ Edge technology incorporated into this mattress provides a reinforced perimeter that keeps you safely tucked in.
When sitting on the edge you should immediately feel supported by the steel coils. Compression on the cotton cover and top comfort layer is normal, but when lying on the edge, your weight should be comfortably supported by the strong coils below the surface.
Great Motion Isolation
On its own, latex does a decent job at maintaining motion isolation, and when coupled with the pocketed coils, motion transfer from one end of the bed to the other is exceptionally good for a latex hybrid. Unlike interconnected coil units, pocketed coils compress individually, preventing motion from traveling. Most sleepers should find they are not disturbed when sleeping with a partner on this mattress.
The combination of latex and coils provides a good amount of bounce and responsiveness that should aid sleepers in repositioning. This could be a good fit for sexually active couples looking for a mattress that has a good deal of bounce.
Nest Bedding is dedicated to lowering its carbon footprint by offering products made with eco-conscious and organic materials. These models feature natural or organic latex, organic cotton, Joma wool, eco-friendly foams, and coils. In addition, they do not contain any chemical flame retardants and have multiple certifications.
Adjustable Base Compatible
Handcrafted in the USA
This product was made avoiding harmful amounts of potentially hazardous materials, such as mercury, formaldehyde, and lead.
The latex surpassed meticulous safety regulations that test for harmful chemicals.
Organic Latex Model Certifications
The organic model sports a GOTS and two GOLS certifications. GOLS confirms that the latex was made from over 95% of certified raw organic substances. GOTS is an international third-party standard that qualifies the cotton used in this product as an organic textile.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping - Shipping is free in the contiguous United States and Canada. For those who want a traditional shipping experience, white glove delivery is available upon request.
- Trial - The 100-Night In-Home Trial allows customers to try the bed and send it back for a full refund within the first 100 days. (Excluding Canada, all international sales are final.)
- Warranty - This product comes with a Limited Lifetime Warranty.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 12.5”||$1,049|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 12.5”||$1,249|
|Full||54” x 75” x 12.5”||$1,449|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12.5”||$1,699|
|King||76” x 80” x 12.5”||$1,899|
|Cali King||72” x 80” x 12.5”||$1,899|
|Split King||38” x 84” x 12.5”||$1,249|
|Split Cali King||36” x 84” x 12.5”||$1,249|
The Nest Bedding Hybrid Latex is an eco-friendly competitor that provides exceptional comfort and support at a fair price.
The deeper coils help provide additional pressure relief in the shoulders and hips for side sleepers. For those that have lighter weight considerations or just like a softer bed, they may feel that they are not sinking into the mattress as much as they might desire. For these individuals, we would recommend the Plush option.
Back sleepers should enjoy the pressure relief from both their lower spine and shoulders that the pocket coils provide, while the top latex layer conforms to their body shape to provide the desired comfort. The Firm might be a good option for individuals who prefer to sleep on top of rather than cradled in the bed.
The coil support system is also great for stomach sleepers. The firmer foam in the top layer should help maintain healthy spine alignment. For those who have heavier middles, it is possible they might enjoy the Firm option more than the Medium because it keeps their hips level.
The latex foams and coils should provide a good amount of bounce and responsiveness for sleepers who like to move around a lot in their sleep. The Medium would likely be the best fit for combination sleepers as it provides the most versatility for comfort and support, but highly specific needs in either position might not be as well accommodated.
Couples have unique needs when it comes to sleep, but either of these options should meet nearly all of them. With materials that provide exceptional cooling, bounce, motion isolation, and edge support, couples should be very pleased. The ability to internally split the King or Cali King size is another nice feature for couples with different sleeping preferences.
While these hybrids weren’t designed specifically for heavier folks, they have plenty of features that make them suitable for sleepers of all shapes and sizes. On top of a 900-pound weight limit, the durable coil system and latex foam should provide ample support and prevent the experience of “bottoming out.” The ability to change out the comfort layer over time is another nice feature if the foam becomes less responsive over time.
Folks on the lighter side (weighing less than 120 pounds) often experience mattresses as too firm. With the option for a Soft level of firmness, lighter individuals should be able to sink in deeply enough to experience the pressure-relieving properties of the individual coils, even if they sleep on their side.
Nest Bedding has gained a reputation for offering a more “green” and affordable sleeping experience. The company’s Lifetime Comfort Guarantee ensures you can try and swap out for a better feel for a full refund within 100 nights or for a percentage of the purchase price after. They are committed to making sure you get the right bed for your dollar, which only adds to your investment.