If you’ve been on social media, you’ve seen the videos of a spokeswoman dressed as Goldilocks as she demonstrates dropping raw eggs onto a mattress called Purple. Well, she’s back, and with these models, Purple has an innerspring base.
Two brothers had the idea to build Purple during a fly fishing trip, and their result was one of the most recognizable mattress brands online. Originally launched in 2016, this brand combines rocket science with manufacturing expertise to create a versatile and innovative new bedding material.
Our in-depth look at the newly updated Purple Hybrid and Hybrid Premier mattresses will show you all the ways these models differ from the company’s Original while still delivering the same kind of unique “pressure-free” comfort system. We’ll also discuss cooling, motion isolation, and edge support.
If you’re interested in knowing more, read on, or go ahead and hop down to the end for our summary and score.
*Please note the Purple 2-3-4 is now Purple Hybrid (2-inch grid) and Purple Hybrid Premier (3 or 4-inch grid).
Who Do We Think Matches With Purple Hybrid & Premier?
- Hybrid fans – Hybrid mattresses that combine both soft comfort with the firmer support of innersprings can deliver advantages of many different kinds of bed into one experience. Coils in the base provide a lot of bounce and airflow, while the unique polymer top offers great pressure relief.
- Hot sleepers – Purple’s Soft Comfort Grid is made from a hyper-elastic polymer that is temperature neutral, meaning it doesn’t retain any of the heat from your body. Coils that support this comfort system allow air to flow freely through the mattress so that warmer air can escape and cooler air can circulate in.
- Shoppers who seek versatility – The company claims its system is specifically designed so that all body types and shapes can sleep comfortably and receive all the support and pressure relief that they require. Couples who are shaped differently could enjoy that kind of precision comfort available in one material.
Possible Purple Hybrid & Premier Complaints:
- It doesn’t have an all-foam feel – This proprietary polymer blend was made to conform immediately to your shape and respond quickly to changes in pressure. The base delivers a lot of bounce, which is great news for combination sleepers and those who sometimes struggle with movement. However, if you prefer the motion isolation of an all-foam design, you may want to stick with the original Purple.
Construction: What’s Inside Purple Hybrid & Premier?
Purple Hybrid and Purple Hybrid Premier are considered two mattresses, but the only difference is the thickness of the signature stretchy grid that gives the “no-pressure” feel. The thicker the grid, the softer the feel.
The Hybrid comes with 2 inches of hyperelastic polymer, while the Premier gives shoppers the option of selecting a 3-inch “Weightless” grid for or a 4-inch “Zero-Gravity” grid.
The cover’s top is a soft polyester blended with lycra and viscose, which can be removed for spot cleaning. The breathable side panels feature a mesh-like material that is made to let hot air escape the bed and keep temperature better regulated. It’s pulled tight around four layers, which stand at slightly different heights, depending on which number you choose.
The Hybrid is the firmest with a 2-inch grid and stands 11 inches high, the Premier with a 3-inch grid is 12 inches high, and the softest model with a 4-inch grid stands 13 inches high.
- The first layer may be 2, 3, or 4 inches depending on which model you choose. This is the company’s proprietary Hyper-Elastic Polymer™ layer called the Purple Grid, and it is scientifically designed to conform to your every curve for pressure relief while still providing spine aligning support. It was recently revamped with enhanced edge support.
- The second layer is made from high-density foam that transitions from the grid to the coils beneath, and its extra firmness helps to reinforce the bed’s edges.
- The third layer is built with 7.5-inch steel coils that work to align the spine, while their pocketed configuration helps reduce motion transfer and conform to individual shapes.
- The fourth and final layer provides a foundation for the coils with another layer of foam.
- The base perimeter is wrapped in a layer of dense foam that helps reinforce the perimeter of the bed’s support system.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
The company provides a white glove service, so a team will handle set-up and even take away your old mattress. This delivery method is free with the Premier model and optional if you decide on the Hybrid. A sturdy frame is recommended, either platform or slats less than 3 inches apart to support the bed, and you do not need a box spring.
Lying down, the polymer materials in the grid should react immediately to concentrations of your weight. Where you are the curviest, the grid will collapse or buckle in upon itself to hold your shape in a deeper cradle while still pushing up into and supporting the places that you curve inwards, such as your lumbar region. You should feel as if your weight is evenly distributed.
Because the comfort material responds so quickly, you won’t leave a hole behind in the bed if you roll over, which will make it much simpler for you to reposition. Between the polymer and the coil unit, the bounce in this bed is significant. The temperature neutrality of the grid paired with airflow through the coils should keep your body nice and cool on the bed, as well.
Firmness Scale: 5/10 (4-inch grid), 6/10 (3-inch grid), 7/10 (2-inch grid)
Pressure points develop when heavier areas of the body are tasked with supporting the weight of the entire body for a length of time, like overnight. Innovative brands like Purple have made it their mission to create scientifically-driven solutions to better sleep. For this company, the proprietary grid is designed to offer dynamic pressure relief by flexing under your curvier parts.
This signature system is what made this brand famous with the launch of their Original bed, and now this same feature is available in these latest models. Paired with responsive foams and pocketed coils, the result should be incredible for those looking for the ultimate in pressure-relieving capabilities.
Not only is the grid designed to relieve pressure, but it also actively works to support the spine for optimal alignment regardless of sleeping position. The individually pocketed coils are a welcome addition when it comes to providing support, and this should be consistent from edge-to-edge, thanks to the reinforced foam around the perimeter.
Multiple Firmness Options
People looking for different levels of firmness to meet their needs should be excited to know that the same dynamic pressure relief and support are available in all three of these models, but the difference in firmness will depend on which grid depth you choose. The thinner the grid, the firmer the bed.
Free White Glove Delivery
The company provides free at-home delivery, sometimes called white glove service, with the Hybrid Premier 3 or 4-inch models, so you do not have to worry about moving the bed into your room or setting it up. For an extra fee, this service is also available with the 2-inch Hybrid model.
If you choose the Hybrid or prefer to set-up on your own, your mattress will arrive compressed and rolled into a vinyl tube with handles for easy delivery. Please note that ground shipping is not available with the Hybrid Premier in King or Cali King sizes due to the heavy weight. Thankfully, free white glove delivery is provided.
From the cool, breathable cover and side panels to the grid and coils that allow for air to flow freely throughout, this bed should be great for those who struggle with feeling warm at night.
Updated Edge Support
These updated models have denser foam around the sides to help maintain edge-to-edge support. This is great for couples who want to maximize their space.
The pocketed coils and flexible grid should give this bed a lot of bounce, a welcome find for couples and those who struggle with mobility.
Adjustable Base Compatible
Adjustable bases, including one sold by the company, works with these models.
Handcrafted in the USA
This certification indicates that the foams have been tested for the presence of dangerous levels of harmful chemicals, such as lead, VOCs, and formaldehyde.
VOC CleanAir Gold Certified
This certification means Purple’s products have passed testing and were awarded the highest level of certification when it comes to off-gassing of VOCs and other harmful chemicals.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping - Have the bed delivered to your home for free within the 48 contiguous United States. Free white glove services are available with the Hybrid Premier.
- Trial - Enjoy 100 nights on this bed without any pressure to commit to the purchase. If you do not think it’s right for you, return it and receive a refund. No questions asked.
- Warranty - This product’s warranty lasts for 10 years.
Pricing for Purple Hybrid
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 11”||$1,699|
|Full||54” x 76” x 11”||$1,899|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 11”||$2,099|
|King||76” x 80” x 11”||$2,599|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 11”||$2,599|
|Split King||76” x 80” x 11”||$3,398|
Pricing for Purple Hybrid Premier 3-Inch Grid
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 12”||$2,299|
|Full||54” x 76” x 12”||$2,499|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12”||$2,699|
|King||76” x 80” x 12”||$3,299|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 12”||$3,299|
|Split King||76” x 80” x 12”||$4,598|
Pricing for Purple Hybrid Premier 4-Inch Grid
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 13”||$2,999|
|Full||54” x 76” x 13”||$3,199|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 13”||$3,499|
|King||76” x 80” x 13”||$4,099|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 13”||$4,099|
|Split King||76” x 80” x 13”||$5,998|
Purple’s all-new models were crafted to cradle all of your pressure points while giving you the bounce and enhanced support of an innerspring bed.
Most side sleepers should feel like their spine is correctly in place when sleeping on the 3-inch Premier, and pressure build-up from weight concentrated on your side shouldn’t be an issue. However, those who are exceptionally curvy or substantially heavier may prefer the additional softness of the 4-inch grid to cradle their curves in this position.
Most back sleepers will feel amply supported in any of these models with their spine aligned, but those who prefer a firmer feel may be drawn to the 2-inch Hybrid.
Most stomach sleepers, especially those who are heavier or who spend much of their sleeping life on their front, will maybe want to steer towards the Hybrid because it will have the firmness required to keep your hips level with the rest of your body. For occasional stomach sleepers, however, the Premier would also work well.
If you are someone who spends an equal amount of time in a variety of sleep positions and needs to be able to easily roll around at night, we think the 3-inch grid is the most versatile choice and should suit you nicely.
Couples should be very pleased with the versatility this bed has to offer. With good edge support, bounce, and cooling, it checks off a lot of boxes. It lacks slightly in motion isolation, but the option to get a Split King could be a solution.
Purple does not have a weight limit for its beds but does recommend that folks weighing more than 250 pounds may feel the most comfortable on the Hybrid or Premier. These models have enhanced support, thanks to the coil systems and thicker grids.
Most lighter individuals experience the majority of beds as too firm. With a medium feel, the 4-inch grid should have a plush feeling that folks weighing under 120 pounds will appreciate.
Purple caught the world’s attention with its fun marketing campaign, but it kept customers coming back with a unique approach to bedding that isn’t content to work with traditional materials. Only a rocket scientist could develop a bed like this!
These new versions give you three different choices of firmness and height so you can choose the amount of pressure relief that works the best for your individual body. Those who want a firmer bed may prefer the 2-inch grid, while those who like a softer experience may delight in the 4-inch grid. Combination sleepers or those shopping for versatility will probably want to stick with the medium-firm 3-inch grid.
The New Purple expands on the unique innovation of their Original model and provides an even more enhanced support system using steel pocketed coils while still offering all the great pressure relief and versatility that they started with.