Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
If you’ve been on social media, you’ve seen the videos of a spokeswoman dressed as Goldilocks as she demonstrates dropping raw eggs onto a mattress called Purple. Well, she’s back, and with this model, Purple has an innerspring base.
Two brothers had the idea to build Purple during a fly fishing trip, and their result was one of the most recognizable mattress brands online. Originally launched in 2016, this brand combines rocket science with manufacturing expertise to create a versatile and innovative new bedding material.
Our in-depth look at the New Purple Mattress (2, 3, 4) will show you all the ways this model differs from the company’s Original Model while still delivering the same kind of unique “pressure free” comfort system. We’ll also discuss cooling, motion isolation, and edge support in the Medium-Firm Purple 3, but you also have the choice of Purple 2 and 4.
If you’re interested in knowing more, read on or go ahead and hop down to the end for our summary and score.
You will love New Purple if you:
- Looking for a hybrid with coils – Hybrid mattresses that combine both soft comfort with the firmer support of innersprings can deliver advantages of many different kinds of bed into one experience. Coils in the base provide a lot of bounce and airflow, while the unique polymer top offers great pressure relief.
- Sleep hot – Purple’s Soft Comfort Grid is made from a hyper-elastic polymer that is temperature neutral, meaning it doesn’t retain any of the heat from your body. Coils that support this comfort system allow air to flow freely through the mattress so that warmer air can escape and cooler air can circulate in.
- Love versatility – The company claims their system is specifically designed so that all body types and shapes can sleep comfortably and receive all the support and pressure relief that they require. Couples who are shaped differently could enjoy that kind of precision comfort available in one material.
You might not like New Purple if you:
- Prefer an all-foam feel – This proprietary polymer blend was made to conform immediately to your shape and respond quickly to changes in pressure and the base delivers a lot of bounce, which is great news for combination sleepers and those who sometimes struggle with movement. However, if you prefer the motion isolation of an all-foam design, you may want to stick with the original Purple.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
Purple provides free at-home delivery, sometimes called White Glove Service, with this model so you do not have to worry about moving the bed into your room or setting it up. The company recommends a sturdy frame, either platform or slats less than 3 inches apart, to support the bed, and you do not need a box spring. Adjustable bases, including one sold by the company, works with this model.
The cover’s top is a soft polyester blended with lycra and viscose, which can be removed for spot cleaning. The Plexus side panels are a mesh-like material that is made to let hot air to escape the bed and keep temperature better regulated. It’s pulled tight around four layers, which stand at slightly different heights, depending on which number you choose.
The firmest P2 is 11 inches high, the Medium P3 is 12 inches, and the soft P4 is 13 inches.
- The first layer may be 2, 3, or 4 inches, which corresponds to the number in the name of the bed. This is the company’s proprietary Hyper-Elastic Polymer™ layer called the Soft Comfort Grid, and it is scientifically designed to conform to your every curve for pressure relief while still providing spine aligning support.
- The second layer is made from .5-inch high-density foam that transitions from the grid to the coils beneath and its extra firmness helps to reinforce the bed’s edges.
- The third layer is built with 7.5-inch steel coils that work to align the spine while their pocketed configuration helps reduce motion transfer and conform to individual shapes.
- The fourth and final layer provides a 1-inch foundation for the coils with another 1-inch layer of foam.
- The perimeter is wrapped in a layer of dense foam that help reinforce the perimeter of the bed’s support system. It may be between 4 and 6 inches wide, depending on the size of bed you choose.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
The feel of Purple’s mattresses can be difficult to characterize because they are designed to respond differently to different body shapes and types. Keeping that in mind, we think most people should experience the P3 at about a 6.5 on our scale that measures soft to firm as 1 to 10. With that score, we would expect it to be really versatile and work well with all different sleeping positions and most body types.
Lying down on the surface of the P3, the polymer materials should react immediately to concentrations of your weight. Where you are the curviest, the grid will collapse or buckle in upon itself to hold your shape in a deeper cradle while still pushing up into and supporting the places that you curve inwards, such as your lumbar. You should feel as if your weight is evenly distributed.
Because the comfort material responds so quickly, you won’t leave a hole behind in the bed if you roll over, which will make it much simpler for you to reposition. Between the polymer and the coil unit, the bounce in this bed is significant. The temperature neutrality of the grid paired with airflow through the coils should keep your body nice and cool on the bed, as well.
If you are someone who spends an equal amount of time in a variety of sleep positions and needs to be able to easily roll around at night, we think the P3 is the most versatile choice and should suit you nicely. Your preference might change a bit if you tend to prefer exclusive sleeping positions.
Most back sleepers will feel amply supported in the P3 with their spine aligned, but those who prefer a firmer feel may be drawn to the P2.
Most side sleepers should feel like their spine is correctly in place when sleeping on the P3 and pressure build-up from weight concentrated on your side shouldn’t be an issue. However, those who are exceptionally curvy or substantially heavier may prefer the P4’s additional softness to cradle their curves in this position.
Most stomach sleepers, especially those who are heavier or who spend much of their sleeping life on their front, will maybe want to steer towards the P2 because it will have the firmness required to keep your hips level with the rest of your body. For occasional stomach sleepers, however, the P3 would also work well.
Beds with this much bounce do not always excel in motion isolation, but the pocketed coils can help cut down how much vibration manages to travel through the materials. This model performs well for hybrids in this space, but exceptionally light sleepers who sleep with restless partners may want to look towards beds with a bit more foam.
This new model has improved on edge support from the Original model, by using foam encasement around the enhanced support of the coil base. You might experience some minor compression if you sit down on the side with your full weight concentrated, but sleeping on the sides should feel comfortably secure. Those who share beds, like couples, want to spread out without feeling they’ll roll off, and exceptional edge support can definitely help you do that.
- Multiple Firmness Options – Depending on your personal preference, you can order a Soft, Medium, for Firm bed by selecting how many inches of the grid system you’d like on top of your mattress.
- Trial Period – Enjoy 100 nights on this bed without any pressure to commit to the purchase. If you do not think it’s right for you, return it and receive a refund. No questions asked.
- Warranty – This product’s warranty lasts for 10 years.
- Shipping – Have the bed delivered to your home for free within the 48 contiguous United States.
- White Glove Delivery – This model’s price includes free delivery by professionals who will also pack up and remove your old mattress.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – This certification indicates that the foams have been tested for the presence of dangerous levels of harmful chemicals, such as lead, VOCs, and formaldehyde.
Adjustable Base Compatible
- Made in the USA
Pricing for Purple 2
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 11”||$1,299|
|Full||54” x 76” x 11”||$1,499|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 11”||$1,599|
|King||76” x 80” x 11”||$1,899|
|Cali King||74” x 84” x 11”||$1,899|
Pricing for Purple 3
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 12”||$1,899|
|Full||54” x 76” x 12”||$2,099|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12”||$2,199|
|King||76” x 80” x 12”||$2,699|
|Cali King||74” x 84” x 12”||$2,699|
Pricing for Purple 4
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 13”||$2,499|
|Full||54” x 76” x 13”||$2,699|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 13”||$2,799|
|King||76” x 80” x 13”||$3,499|
|Cali King||74” x 84” x 13”||$3,499|
Purple’s all-new model will cradle all of your pressure points while giving you the bounce and enhanced support of an innerspring bed.
Purple caught the world’s attention with their fun marketing campaign, but they’ve kept customers coming back with their unique approach to bedding that wasn’t content to work with traditional materials. Only a rocket scientist could develop a bed like this!
This new version gives you three different choices of firmness and height so you can choose the amount of pressure relief that works the best for your individual body. Those who want a firmer bed may prefer the P2, while those who like a softer experience may delight in the P4. Combination sleepers or those shopping for versatility will probably want to stick with the Medium-Firm P3.
The New Purple expands on the unique innovation of their Original model and provides an even more enhanced support system using steel pocketed coils while still offering all the great pressure relief and versatility that they started with.
Author: Sleep Advisor
Our team covers as many areas of expertise as we do time zones, but none of us started here as a so-called expert on sleep. What we do share is a willingness to ask questions (lots of them), seek experts, and dig deep into conventional wisdom to see if maybe there might be a better path towards healthy living. We apply what we learn not only to our company culture, but also how we deliver information to our over 12.7M readers.
Sleep research is changing all the time, and we are 100% dedicated to keeping up with breakthroughs and innovations. You live better if you sleep better. Whatever has brought you here, we wish you luck on your journey towards better rest.