Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Presidents’ Day is the first big holiday sale of the year and what better way to begin the year than with a new bed? If you’ve been waiting to make a major mattress purchase, now is a fantastic time to invest in better sleep.
Presidents’ Day 2023 is on Monday, February 20, but many mattress companies offer big savings leading up to the holiday. This guide will walk you through some of the top discounts for Presidents’ Day 2023. We’ll also give you details on our favorite mattresses and who they’re best suited for, along with valuable tips on how to choose the right bed for your needs.
Best Presidents’ Day Mattress Sales of 2023
20% off + 2 free Dream Pillows with code PDS20
Helix offers a variety of mattresses and designs, so there’s something for everyone. Additionally, the company sells a mattress for children called the Helix Kids, which is available in Twin and Full sizes, and it should accommodate kids 3 to 12 years old.
Helix mattresses include soft, medium, and firm options. While medium mattresses are the most versatile, access to soft and firm beds means this brand can accommodate multiple body types and sleep preferences.
Helix mattresses come with good edge support thanks to thicker-gauge coils along the perimeter. This can benefit couples and single sleepers who like to spread across the bed.
What stands out about this brand?
- Helix sells nine hybrid mattresses, and they also have upgraded Luxe versions of these beds available. Luxe versions come with an extended warranty as well. The Helix Plus and Helix Kids are the only two models that don’t have Luxe versions.
- The Helix Plus is designed specifically for plus-size individuals.
Want more details? Read our full Helix mattress review.
Editor’s Pick: Helix Midnight
Best for Pressure Relief: Helix Sunset
Best for Combo Sleepers: Helix Dusk
Best for Back Sleepers: Helix Moonlight
Best for Kids: Helix Kids
Best for Stomach Sleepers: Helix Dawn
Best for Heavy Sleepers: Helix Plus
up to $600 off
- Lifetime Warranty
- 365-Night Trial
- CertiPUR-US® Certified
- Free White Glove Delivery
Saatva specializes in luxury foam and innerspring mattresses. The company makes their beds with premium and natural materials, which means they should last 7-10 years.
Common materials in Saatva beds include natural latex and cotton, making this brand a good choice for shoppers who want a more eco-friendly product. Additionally, Saatva’s innerspring and hybrid models feature recycled steel coils, and the foams are CertiPUR-US® certified.
For those in need of enhanced back support, Saatva beds feature zoned support to ensure the spine remains in optimal alignment. Saatva offers nine mattresses that range from plush to firm. However, some models have multiple firmness options for extra customization.
Why should you consider this brand?
- Saatva mattresses have cooling properties like latex, cotton, and coils, which are all helpful for hot sleepers.
- The brand offers a 365-night trial and free white glove delivery, which means a team of professionals will set up your new mattress for you.
Looking to learn more? See our Saatva mattress review here.
Editor’s Pick: Saatva Classic
Best Memory Foam: Loom & Leaf
Best Innerspring: Saatva Latex Hybrid
Best Hypoallergenic: Zenhaven
Best Customizable: Solaire
Best for Heavy Sleepers: Saatva HD
Best for Kids: Saatva Youth
33% off everything
- Forever Warranty
- CertiPUR-US® Certified
- 365-Night Trial
- Gel Memory Foam
Nectar, a company once known for their premium memory foam mattresses, has recently added a batch of hybrids to their impressive lineup. Nectar uses high-quality materials in their beds, most notably gel-infused memory foam, which is excellent for those with pressure buildup. People who sleep with a restless partner should love the great motion isolation of these beds, which means they’re less likely to feel the other person’s movements.
The foams used in Nectar mattresses are free of harmful substances and are CertiPUR-US® certified. The brand also offers an appealing trial and warranty deal with their beds, giving customers a full year to test out the product and a Forever warranty.
What stands out?
- Beds containing memory foam are ideal for side sleepers as they help relieve tension in the shoulders, hips, and knees.
- By adding hybrids built with coils, Nectar is also better equipped to meet the needs and preferences of even more people.
Want to know more? Read our full Nectar mattress review.
Editor’s Pick: Nectar
Best for Side Sleepers: Nectar Premier
Best Cooling: Nectar Premier Copper
Best for Back Sleepers: Nectar Hybrid
- Made in the USA
- Lifetime Limited Warranty
- CertiPUR-US® Certified
- 120-Night Trial
WinkBeds produces American-made beds with premium features and quality materials that should enhance your quality of sleep.
WinkBeds mattresses are excellent for many different groups, including heavy people, side and back sleepers, and shoppers who want more eco-friendly beds. Most WinkBeds mattresses come with zoned support for extra lifting in heavier areas, which means better spine alignment and as a result, a reduced chance of back pain.
WinkBeds sells both all-foam and hybrid mattresses, and they offer multiple firmness options. For example, their flagship model, the WinkBed, comes in three firmness levels for more customized comfort and support.
What makes this brand unique?
- The WinkBed EcoCloud contains all-natural and organic materials, making it ideal for allergy-prone people.
- WinkBeds sells a custom mattress that’s made for heavier people, the WinkBed Plus. This mattress’ construction is designed to ensure these people get adequate support.
Want to know more? Read our full WinkBed review.
Editor’s Pick: The WinkBed
Best for Heavier People: WinkBed Plus
Best Natural: Ecocloud
Best for Back and Side Sleepers: GravityLux
30% off + a free gift
- Made in the USA
- Proprietary Materials
- Lifetime Warranty
- 120-Night Trial
Nolah is popular for their American-made hybrid and all-foam mattresses, high-quality materials, and industry-leading lifetime warranty. The brand also offers free shipping and easy returns, adding to their appeal among shoppers.
Nolah offers six mattress sizes that should accommodate both solo sleepers and couples. Nolah beds contain proprietary materials, such as AirFoam™ and AirFoamICE™. Additionally, they feature Tencel and coils (in the hybrids), which help promote breathability for a cooler sleep space.
Their hybrid designs can deliver excellent support thanks to the company’s unique HDMax™ Tri-Zone™ Support Coil System.
What makes Nolah worthwhile?
- Nolah utilizes premium materials to provide sleepers with excellent comfort and support
- Their mattresses should fit a variety of body types and preferences. For example, along with varying firmness levels in their inventory, they have an eco-friendly mattress, the Nolah Natural, which should appeal to environmentally-conscious shoppers.
Want more details? Read our full Nolah Original review.
Best for Side Sleepers: Nolah Original
Best Memory Foam: Nolah Signature
Best for Kids: Nolah Nurture
Best Hybrid: Nolah Evolution
Best Eco-Friendly: Nolah Natural
Best for Hot Sleepers: Nolah Signature All-Foam Hybrid
Presidents’ Day Mattress Buying Guide
When is Presidents’ Day 2023?
Presidents’ Day 2023 is on Monday, February 20. This U.S. federal holiday was originally created to honor the birthday of George Washington, the first United States president, although over the years it has also come to include the birthday of President Abraham Lincoln, as both men were born in February. Presidents’ Day falls on the third Monday in February and also signifies the first major sales event of the year, particularly for mattresses.
Why is Presidents’ Day known for mattress sales?
There are several reasons why Presidents’ Day has become known for mattress sales.
First, it’s a federal holiday, which means many people have the day off from work and therefore, the availability to shop – whether online or in-store. Second, some people will start to get their tax returns during this time, which means they could have extra money for investing in a major purchase like a mattress. It also helps that this influx of money and free time occurs during a holiday that typically isn’t accompanied by gift-giving, allowing people to spend a little more on their own needs.
Is Presidents Day a good time to buy a mattress?
Yes, Presidents’ Day is a good time to buy a mattress, especially if you’re in need of a new bed. Top mattress brands provide major savings during this time, and Presidents’ Day sales can be just as competitive as other holiday deals. Plus, most companies start offering deals before the actual holiday, which means you can start shopping even earlier.
Learn more: What's the Best Time to Buy a New Mattress?
Benefits of Buying a Mattress During Presidents’ Day
Buying a mattress during Presidents’ day has some great advantages for consumers, some of which you might not have yet considered.
- Major savings and special deals – Of course, the biggest draw to mattress shopping on Presidents’ Day is the abundance of deals, with top brands offering significant discounts on their most popular, top-quality mattresses. Along with mattress discounts, many brands offer special bundle deals on accessories and other products, which could also save you big bucks.
- Online shopping – Some of the best holiday deals on mattresses are from online brands. While you may enjoy trying out mattresses in stores, there’s a lot to love about online mattress shopping, particularly when it comes to saving money.
By selling directly to consumers, these online brands cut out middlemen costs, which means their products are usually sold for less than those in brick-and-mortar stores. Plus, most come with generous trial periods, so you can try out the mattress in the comfort of your home before committing to the purchase. If you’re someone who wants to avoid the crowds on your day off, online shopping could be worth it.
Learn more: Where’s The Best Place To Purchase A New Bed?
How can I find the best mattress deal for Presidents’ Day?
Establish your budget
First, you’ll want to establish your budget so that you have a general range of what you’re able to spend on a new mattress. With that being said, you also want to make sure you take into account the quality of the product. An extremely cheap mattress might sound appealing up front, but if it’s not well-made or durable, you might have to replace the bed sooner.
Consider what you need in a mattress
To help narrow down your search for the right mattress, you need to consider the qualities that you need in a bed.
- Firmness – Firmness reflects how soft or firm the bed feels, though it’s important to note that this is also subjective since firmness will feel different for two sleepers of different sizes. Mattress firmness is rated on a 1-10 scale, with 1 being the softest and 10 the firmest.Most beds have a medium firmness since this is the most versatile feel. However, some people may prefer softer or firmer selections depending on their body type and preferred sleep position. For example, a side sleeper or lightweight individual may enjoy a softer bed, whereas a heavier person or stomach could feel more supported on a firmer mattress.
- Pressure relief – Pressure relief refers to the bed’s ability to alleviate pressure buildup in sensitive areas like the shoulders and hips. This feature is usually most important to side sleepers, though back sleepers often benefit from this as well.Memory foam is considered a top material for pressure relief, though it’s important to make sure that if you’re a hot sleeper who loves memory foam, you get a bed that infuses cooling into the foam to prevent it from overheating.
- Support – Support is also key because it’s vital for spine alignment. A supportive bed will keep the sleeper’s heaviest areas lifted so that they’re not sleeping at an awkward angle, as this could lead to back pain.While support is important for all sleepers, plus-size people and stomach sleepers, in particular, need to ensure the bed they sleep on fosters optimal spine alignment since they’re more susceptible to sinking too far into the layers.
- Edge support – Along with overall support, you might want a mattress that has strong edges that won’t compress as much if you lie or sit on the sides of the bed. Edge support is usually valuable to couples who want more surface space use to spread out. However, solo sleepers who may not sleep near the edge but sit there to put their shoes on in the morning could value edge support.Some hybrids have reinforced perimeter coils for edge support, while other all-foam models may have denser support foams for this. The best way to see if a bed is rated well for edge support is to read reviews on the mattress.
- Motion Isolation – Motion isolation is a term for how well a mattress absorbs movement. This is often most important to couples who share a mattress because a restless partner’s movements could make it harder for the other person to sleep. A mattress that isolates motion well will keep those movements from transferring to the other side of the bed.All-foam mattresses built with memory foam are typically the best at this.
However, many hybrids have managed to curb motion transfer, which can often happen with beds that have innerspring units, by individually wrapping each coil. Therefore, if you want an innerspring bed but don’t want tons of movement, look for a hybrid with pocketed coils and memory foam on top.
- Cooling – Cooling is going to be important for those who sleep hot at night or live in warmer climates. Mattresses can come with different materials that are specially designed for cooling or are naturally more breathable.For example, latex is a temperature-neutral material that can provide pressure relief without retaining heat like traditional memory foam, and coils deliver extra airflow to mattresses to further keep them cool. Many companies also implement cooling gels into their memory foams so that sleepers can still access this material without worrying about overheating. Additionally, brands will include a breathable or moisture-wicking cover for surface cooling.
- Bounce – Bouncier mattresses have a quicker response to movement, which can make it easier to reposition or get in and out of bed. This feature is often most beneficial to those with limited mobility or combination sleepers.While some people may love the idea of a more responsive mattress, it’s important to remember that more bounce often means more motion transfer, so if you sleep with a partner, this could be a drawback. Latex and innerspring beds are considered the most buoyant mattress types.
Do you need mattress accessories?
If you’re getting a new mattress, it might also be a great time to invest in mattress accessories. Along with discounts on mattresses, many companies provide deals on accessories such as pillows, toppers, and sheets. Since these accessory products can further enhance your quality of sleep, it could be worth it to take advantage of the extra savings.
Research brands and mattresses
Once you have an idea of the type of mattress you need, you’re now ready to begin researching specific brands and mattresses. You can start by looking up lists of mattress types based on what you need. For example, if you need a bed with memory foam, a list of the best memory foam mattresses will provide you with specific products to consider.
Once you find a few mattresses that spark your interest, we recommend reading more in-depth reviews on these beds. These reviews can help give you a better idea if that bed is going to be the right fit for you.
Look up sales
Along with reading reviews, you should research what deals the brands you’re interested in are offering and compare them. While one brand may have a bigger mattress discount, another could have a better bundle deal with accessories, so knowing what deals are out there will make you more informed in order to find the best deal for your needs.
Learn more: Learn How to Shop for a Mattress – Our Full Guide
Final Word of Advice
Presidents’ Day could be a great time to try out an entirely new type of mattress. Maybe you’ve always been an innerspring fan but are curious about memory foam beds. Why not try something new? If you plan to spread your wings, though, we advise doing extra research on mattress materials and types to help you in your decision-making process.
Now that you’re armed with valuable details on what to look for, you’re better equipped to find the right Presidents’ Day mattress deal for you. Presidents’ Day is one of the multiple holidays throughout the year when consumers can take advantage of fantastic deals, and since a mattress is a big investment, being able to save some money on one can be a major help.
- “Presidents’ Day: Honoring U.S. Presidents Washington and Lincoln”. United States Embassy in Switzerland and Liechtenstein. Webpage accessed February 7, 2023.
Jill Zwarensteyn is the editor for Sleep Advisor and a certified sleep science coach. She is enthusiastic about providing helpful and engaging information on all things sleep and wellness.
Based in Los Angeles, she is an experienced writer and journalist who enjoys spending her free time at the beach, hiking, reading, or exploring new places around town.
She’s also an avid traveler who has a personal goal of being able to successfully sleep on an airplane someday.