After multiple surgeries and painful nights, GhostBed’s founder dedicated 15 years of research to find the right combination of materials for a good night’s rest. The result is a company known for producing comfortable, temperature-regulating mattresses.
The GhostBed Luxe is the brand’s high-end mattress offering that contains seven layers of cooling technology and pressure-relieving materials.
We took a closer look at how this mattress’s cooling tech performed in our in-depth overview of the GhostBed Luxe. We’ll also cover our ratings based on comfort, firmness, support, and more so you can help you decide if the GhostBed Luxe is right for you.
Who We Recommend The GhostBed Luxe For:
- Hot sleepers – By incorporating several layers of gels and phase-change technology into both the cover and comfort foams, this mattress should satisfy even the hottest sleepers, resulting in a cool and comfortable sleep experience.
- Those with pressure build-up – The soft, cradling comfort materials should provide excellent pressure relief for heavier areas, particularly the hips and shoulders, which should help eliminate aches and pains caused by pushback during the night.
- Those looking for a deep sink – Those who prefer a deeper sink rather than resting on top should enjoy the cradling of this bed. The bouncy support layers should also ensure repositioning is still smooth and easy.
Who We Don’t Recommend The GhostBed Luxe For:
- Heavyweight people – People over 230 pounds may find this mattress too soft. The bed is designed to provide a deep hug, so heavy sleepers might sink too deeply, which can result in poor sleep posture.
- Stomach sleepers – Stomach sleepers need extra support to prevent the hips from sinking too deeply into the upper layers. The GhostBed Luxe’s softer, more plush feel may result in lower back pain, a misaligned spine, and an overall uncomfortable sleeping experience for these sleepers.
- Those who prefer a firm mattress – This bed has a medium-plush feel, which should work well for many kinds of sleepers. However, those who prefer sleeping “on” the mattress instead of “in” it might want to look for a firmer bed.
First Impressions: Firmness & Feel
Firmness Scale: 5/10
Please remember that firmness is a subjective characteristic and your shape will dictate how you experience a bed. A heavier person whose weight can more easily push through softer comfort and support layers may experience a bed as softer than a lightweight person. The way you are shaped could also play a role here. Consider your weight, shape, and size when evaluating firmness scores.
Although mattress firmness can be subjective based on your body weight and sleep position, a firmness rating can help you evaluate whether a mattress can fit your needs. We rate mattresses on a scale from one to 10, with 10 being the most firm. The GhostBed Luxe mattress is rated a 5 out of 10 on our scale, which means it has a medium-plush feel.
This firmness level works best for lightweight to average-weight sleepers who don’t sink into the mattress quite as much as heavyweight people. Those who weigh over 230 pounds may want a firmer mattress that provides better support.
How Does It Feel?
The GhostBed Luxe provides a medium-plush feel which offers excellent pressure relief for those who struggle with achy joints or a sore back. Side and back sleepers who like to sink into their mattress may also enjoy this bed’s generous cushioning. Lightweight sleepers under 130 pounds often struggle to find a soft yet supportive mattress that feels comfortable, but the GhostBed Luxe should be well-suited to these smaller individuals.
What We Like About the GhostBed Luxe
- The cooling effect – GhostBed claims this is the coolest mattress in the world, and although this is a big claim, the bed does run cool. The mattress features gel memory foam and a cover that contains phase-change material for a cool-to-the-touch surface.
- Versatile firmness – The medium-plush feel is good for a variety of sleeping positions and body weights. Although some may experience this mattress as even softer than medium-plush, the density of these foam layers should support consistent spine alignment
- Impressive weight capacity – This mattress can handle up to 750 pounds, which is impressive for an all-foam mattress. Still, be sure to keep its softer firmness level in mind since it may not be the best fit for sleepers over 230 pounds.
Our GhostBed Luxe Complaints
- It’s pricey – Although this mattress is tall and has many high-quality features, its high price tag may be a setback for many.
- Not the best edge support – All-foam mattresses typically don’t have as good of edge support as innerspring or hybrid beds. The edges of this bed are likely to falter a bit if you sit near the perimeter, but unlikely to collapse if you lie in this area.
Testing the GhostBed Luxe Mattress: How it Performed
We tested the GhostBed Luxe to evaluate its performance and feel in different sleeping positions. This should give you a better idea of whether this bed can fit your needs and preferences. Apart from testing how the bed feels in various sleeping positions, we also made note of its edge support, motion isolation, cooling, bounce, and other preference-based features.
Sleeping Positions for Different Body Types
The GhostBed Luxe can support an industry-leading 750 pounds when placed on a substantial and strong foundation. However, they recommend folks over 300 pounds purchase the King-size and the companion King All-In-One foundation™. This weight limit should suit most individual sleepers and couples, while the 13” thickness should provide enough support.
Folks who weigh over 250 pounds may find they fall further into this bed, leaving them with the uncomfortable sensation of sinking into quicksand. In this case, we recommend going with a firmer model or even a brand like Big Fig that caters to heavier individuals with more substantial support layers.
For those who weigh less, the medium-plush feel of this bed should be a great fit that won’t leave you feeling as though you are sleeping on a hard surface. The memory foam should provide a gentle contour and soft cradle.
|Weight||Side Sleepers||Back Sleepers||Stomach Sleepers|
|Lightweight Sleepers (-130 lbs)||★★★||★★★||★★☆|
|Average-Weight Sleepers (130-230 lbs)||★★★||★★★||☆☆☆|
|Heavyweight Sleepers (+230 lbs)||★☆☆||☆☆☆||☆☆☆|
- Lightweight Sleepers – Lightweight side sleepers should like the medium-plush feel which allows them to sink just enough for pressure relief in the shoulders and hips without sacrificing spine alignment.
- Average-weight Sleepers – Average-weight people may sink a bit deeper, especially those closer to 200 pounds. However, the bed should do a good job of supporting the body in the side-sleeping position, while also preventing the hips from sinking too deeply.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Heavier side sleepers may feel stuck in the GhostBed Luxe since the mattress has a softer feel. Those who prefer a softer bed for deeper pressure relief may like it, but sleepers closer to 300 pounds should consider a firmer mattress.
- Lightweight Sleepers – Back sleepers under 130 pounds should feel well-supported in this position. The bed’s softer feel allows enough sinkage to provide pressure relief for the lower back and shoulders.
- Average-weight Sleepers – Average-weight back sleepers should get a variable level of support and pressure relief based on their exact body weight, but most should experience good spine alignment and equal weight distribution.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Heavyweight people sleeping on their back may experience their hips sinking too deeply. This can result in back pain and feeling trapped inside the bed, which can be a problem for those with mobility issues.
- Lightweight Sleepers – Lightweight stomach sleepers should experience enough support since they likely don’t weigh enough to sink too deeply. However, your hips are the heaviest when you sleep on your stomach, so some folks may not like the sinkage.
- Average-weight Sleepers – Average-weight stomach sleepers are likely to sink too deeply into the first two layers. This can result in a poor sleeping posture, especially for those who weigh closer to 200 pounds.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Stomach sleepers who weigh more than 230 pounds should opt for a firmer mattress altogether. The GhostBed Luxe’s medium-plush feel is unlikely to provide the support they need to keep the hips aligned with the rest of the bed.
Pressure Relief & Pain
The plush nature of the GhostBed Luxe provides a deep body contour which helps reduce pressure for side sleepers around the hips and shoulder areas. This gentle cradle also promotes spine alignment which helps back and side sleepers rest comfortably.
In addition, the memory foam layer helps conform to pressure points in the lower back, settling into the curves of the lower spine for support. The Luxe’s gentle cradle combined with the latex-like feel of the Bounce Layer offers an excellent combination of responsiveness and pressure relief.
Back Pain – Sleepers with back pain should appreciate the mix of pressure relief and support the GhostBed Luxe mattress provides. This is especially the case for those sleeping on their backs since the mattress promotes equal weight distribution and spine alignment which should help alleviate tension and pain. However, heavyweight sleepers as well as some average-weight sleepers may sink too deeply into this mattress. This can exacerbate back pain, so this group may want a firmer bed for more sturdy support.
Hip Pain – People with hip pain often look to softer mattresses for relief so the GhostBed Luxe should be a good match. The mattress allows enough sinkage to hug the hips and prevent the pressure from building up in this area.
Shoulder Pain – Back and side sleepers with shoulder pain should experience good pressure and pain relief thanks to the bed’s medium-plush feel and contouring memory foam comfort layer.
GhostBed Luxe’s memory foam layer provides two inches of weight distribution which conforms to the spine, supporting your back and alleviating pressure.
The Ghost Bounce Layer also provides bounce and responsiveness which helps lift and support your frame. This feature prevents most individuals from sinking too deeply.In addition, the high-density poly foam core helps maintain the mattress’s structure, further supporting your body.
The GhostBed Luxe is an all-foam mattress, so its motion-isolating capabilities come naturally. Foam does a good job of isolating motion so that movement doesn’t transfer from one side of the bed to the other. This is especially important for partners with different sleeping habits and co-sleepers who share their mattress with kids or pets.
Temperature Regulation / Cooling
Although the GhostBed Luxe is an all-foam mattress, it includes a number of excellent cooling features that make it a good fit for hot sleepers. The company incorporated phase-change material (known as Ghost Ice) into its cover, which helps it stay cool-to-the-touch throughout the night. In addition to this material, GhostBed used its proprietary cooling fiber material and gel memory foam, and cooling fiber in its cover. Beneath this quilted cover lies an additional layer of Ghost Ice followed by a gel memory foam layer.
All of these materials work together to dissipate heat, allowing your body to breathe despite the traditionally-hot memory foam material.
Performance for Couples
Couples usually look for motion isolation, a universally-appealing firmness level, and some bounce. The GhostBed Luxe mattress excels in motion isolation, which is good for couples with different sleeping schedules. The Luxe’s medium-plush feel should suit most sleepers, while its Ghost Bounce layer offers plenty of responsiveness for sexually-active couples.
However, you may experience variable edge support depending on how much you and your partner weigh, although lightweight and average-weight couples shouldn’t have issues sleeping near the edge of the bed.
Adjustable Base Compatible
The GhostBed Luxe mattress fits many bed foundations including adjustable bases, which gives you an option to fully customize your sleeping experience.
Made in the USA
Most bed-in-a-box mattresses come with a standard 10-year warranty, but the GhostBed Luxe includes a generous 25-year warranty.
Construction: What’s Inside the GhostBed Luxe?
GhostBed claims this bed is the coolest in the world, as it uses multiple technologies to counteract the traditional heat-trapping nature of foam beds.
The polyester blend “cool-to-the-touch” cover comprises a proprietary phase-change material that has cooling properties woven directly into the fabric. A Cooling Fiber layer and gel memory foam are also quilted into the cover for extra pressure relief and an immediate cooling effect the moment you lie down on the mattress. In addition, the stylish quilted white and black triangle-patterned cover can be unzipped and removed for easier spot-cleaning.
The total height of the mattress is 13 inches.
- The first layer is a thin Ghost Ice Layer connected to the foams beneath. This layer contains phase-change technology that should promote a cool sleep experience.
- The second layer contains 2 inches of Gel Memory Foam for added temperature control and comforting pressure relief.
- The third layer comprises a 2-inch Ghost Bounce Layer; this is a proprietary material that should behave like both latex and memory foam with both light contouring and bounce present. The construction should allow you to sink into the mattress but still move around easily.
- The fourth layer consists of 7.5 inches of high-density foam which serves as the bed’s support core, offering durability and overall stability.
Unboxing & Off-Gassing
The GhostBed Luxe mattress is shipped in a box, so it should be relatively easy to move it from your door to the bedroom. However, the box may be heavy, so make sure to have an extra pair of hands helping you. If that’s not an option, you can always pay extra for White Glove Delivery, which includes a professional setup and removal of your old mattress should you want it removed.
Once the mattress is out of the packaging, it should take about a day or two for it to decompress. Although you can sleep on it right away, you may not experience its full potential until it reaches its full size. Also, you might notice off-gassing odors, which are common for bed-in-a-box mattresses – especially all-foam ones. These odors aren’t harmful and should dissipate by the time the bed decompresses.
- Eco-Friendly Certifications – The foams in this bed are CertiPUR-US® certified. CertiPUR-US® is a third-party program that ensures the foams meet rigorous health and safety standards. This means they don’t contain harmful substances like ozone depleters, PBDEs, heavy metals, formaldehyde, and phthalates. They should also have low volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping – Shipping is free in the contiguous United States; a shipping fee is added for orders sent to Alaska and Hawaii.
- White Glove Delivery – Professional installation is available for additional 279 dollars.
- Trial – The company offers a 101-night trial period so shoppers can get a feel for their new bed before committing. There is a mandatory break-in period of 30 nights to ensure you’ve allowed yourself enough time to acclimate to your new mattress.
- Warranty – The Luxe bed comes with a 25-year warranty.
- Return Policy – The bed comes with a risk-free trial, which means you can return it for a full refund before this period ends. Returns are free, but any shipping and White Glove Delivery fees are non-refundable.
Sizes & Prices
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 13”||$2,395|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 13”||$2,595|
|Full||54” x 75” x 13”||$2,725|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 13”||$2,970|
|King||76” x 80” x 13”||$3,270|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 13”||$3,290|
|Split King||76” x 80” x 13”||$5,190|
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the GhostBed Luxe a Hybrid Mattress?
The GhostBed Luxe mattress is made entirely out of foam, featuring four layers that deliver a combination of pressure relief, support, and cooling.
How Thick is the GhostBed Luxe Mattress?
The GhostBed Luxe mattress is 13 inches tall, which makes it a good option for those looking for a taller mattress. Several other GhostBed mattresses are thinner, including the GhostBed Classic at 11 inches tall.
Where is the GhostBed Luxe Mattress Made?
All GhostBed mattresses are made in the USA. The beds are designed and manufactured in the United States, which allows fast shipping within the country.
GhostBed Luxe vs. Other Brands
GhostBed Luxe vs. Casper Original
- Cool-to-the-touch cover
- 13-inch profile
- 101-night trial period
- Multi-zoned support
- 11-inch profile
- Medium-firm feel
Who We Recommend the GhostBed Luxe For
- Hot sleepers
- People with pressure build-up
- Side sleepers
Who We Recommend the Casper Original For
- Sleepers with back pain
- Those who need more support
- People looking for a thinner mattress
Read our Casper Original mattress review.
GhostBed Luxe vs. Bear Original
- Deep hug
- Excellent pressure relief
- Phase-change technology
- Sleep Recover™ Technology
- Affordable price
- 10-inch profile
Who We Recommend the GhostBed Luxe For
- Luxury shoppers
- Lightweight sleepers
Who We Recommend the Bear Original For
- Budget shoppers
- Back sleepers
- Eco-conscious shoppers
Read our Bear Original mattress review if you think the Bear is right for you.
GhostBed Luxe vs. Other GhostBed Models
GhostBed Luxe vs. GhostBed Classic
- Memory foam
- 13-inch profile
- 25-years warranty
- Aerated latex
- Plush knit cover
- 20-year warranty
Who We Recommend the GhostBed Luxe For
- People looking for a taller mattress
- Lightweight stomach sleepers
- People with hip pain
Who We Recommend the GhostBed Classic For
- People looking for affordable luxury
- Back sleepers
- Sleepers interested in a firmer bed
Interested? Read our full GhostBed Classic mattress review.
GhostBed Luxe vs. GhostBed Flex
- All-foam construction
- Deep pressure relief
- CertiPUR-US® certification
- Classic hybrid design
- Bouncy and responsive
- Enhanced edge support
Who We Recommend the GhostBed Luxe For
- Those who prefer foam beds
- Hot sleepers
- Average-weight side sleepers
Who We Recommend the GhostBed Flex For
- People with mobility issues
- Combination sleepers
GhostBed is a luxury mattress that comes with a higher price tag. However, it includes a variety of proprietary technologies in its construction that promotes exceptional cooling and pressure-relieving capabilities.
Side sleepers should feel enhanced pressure relief as they sink into the cooling comfort layers of the mattress. Unfortunately, light-weight sleepers often struggle with finding a bed with soft enough layers. Still, the GhostBeds design should help eliminate painful pushback on the shoulders and hips, helping many individuals to sleep more comfortably.
Back sleepers should feel cradling in the curve of their lower back thanks to the Luxe’s comfort layers, while the supportive base foam supports their spine for healthy alignment. This bed isn’t quite as plush as other memory foam beds, making it a nice middle ground between comfort and support.
Stomach sleepers must watch out for spine alignment because the hips (which typically carry our extra weight) tend to dip in this position, which can mess with proper sleep posture. Dedicated stomach sleepers may find their hips dip too low in this soft model. The firmer GhostBed Classic may be a better fit.
Combination sleepers should enjoy how well this mattress responds to any repositioning thanks to the Ghost Bounce layer. They should also experience comfortable support and spinal alignment, along with pressure relief in most positions.
Couples looking for heat relief should appreciate the cooling nature of the Ghost Bounce Layer’s latex-like cooling capabilities. Further, the bed’s motion isolation should serve partners well, allowing them to sleep peacefully without much disturbance. However, the edge support leaves a bit to be desired.
Heavier folks can sometimes struggle to find a mattress that accommodates their weight without sinking through more layers than intended. However, due to this bed’s plush nature and soft quality, we wouldn’t recommend this to heavier folks and would steer you towards a firmer model like the GhostBed Classic.
Lighter than average sleepers may feel that most models are much too hard to accommodate them, especially if they’re side sleepers. Their weight might not be enough to truly activate all the layers in other beds. However, the GhostBed’s gentle contouring and soft texture should cater to their needs well.
Average Weight Sleepers
Average-weight sleepers should find the GhostBed Luxe a comfortable bed in various sleeping positions. The deep hug it provides allows plenty of pressure relief without taking away from the support level needed for proper spine alignment. However, average-weight stomach sleepers weighing closer to 200 pounds may want a firmer bed.
GhostBed packs a lot of value into their beds, and the durability and pressure relief that comes with the GhostBed Luxe in particular should provide a return on your investment. Beds with similar materials can cost thousands compared to what GhostBed offers for much less, plus you should still get a luxurious feel and quality comfort with the Luxe.
We think the GhostBedLuxe is an excellent investment for those who want a cooling, pressure-relieving mattress. The 7-layer all-foam construction combined with the cooling tech should benefit hot sleepers as well as folks who need relief from sensitive pressure points the most.
We also feel this bed is an excellent fit for combination sleepers due to the latex-like Ghost Bounce layer, which provides a superior responsive texture, letting individuals reposition easily.
While this softer model is great for petite to average-sized folks who enjoy pressure relief and a gentle cradle, heavier folks may need more robust support which might be found in GhostBed’s Classic model.
Rachael is a content writer for Sleep Advisor who loves combining her enthusiasm for writing and wellness. She’s had a passion for writing since she was a kid when she wrote awful poetry. She’s honed her craft quite a bit since then and considers herself a lucky duck to get paid to do what she loves.
Embracing the remote work life, she occasionally takes her work on the road and lives out her travel writer pipe dream.
In her free time, she attempts to meditate regularly, rides her bike to Trader Joe’s, and enjoys trying every type of food that she can get her hands on.