Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Are you a cool cat looking for a cool bed that feels like you’re sleeping on an icy cloud?
That’s the goal of GhostBed’s Luxe mattress. After multiple surgeries and painful nights, the company’s founder dedicated 15 years of research to find the right combination of materials to produce a comfortable, temperature-regulating mattress. The company is proud to offer quick and helpful customer service and is dedicated to providing better rest for people of all sleep preferences.
This in-depth overview of the GhostBed Luxe will take a close look at the cooling properties of this mattress. We’ll also give you ratings based on comfort, firmness, quality, and more.
Check out the full review for a comprehensive breakdown of this product’s features and materials. Or skip to the end for our overall impression and ratings.
You will love the Luxe if you:
- Sleep hot – By incorporating several layers of gels and phase-changing technology into both the cover and comfort foams, this product should satisfy even the hottest of sleepers, resulting in a cool and comfortable sleep experience.
- Want enhanced pressure relief – The soft, cradling comfort materials should provide excellent pressure relief for heavier areas, particularly the hips and shoulders. This should help eliminate aches and pains caused by pushback during the night.
- Like a deep cradle – Those who prefer to sink into the mattress rather than rest on top of it should enjoy the deep cradle provided by the top layers. The springy lower layers should ensure repositioning is still smooth and easy.
You might not like the Luxe if you:
- Prefer a Firmer feel – Most sleepers should experience a Medium-Soft feel. While most sleepers should feel well-supported in any position, those who do prefer more Firm bed can opt for TheGhostBed.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
The Luxe is an all-foam bed-in-a-box product that uses multiple cooling technologies to counteract the traditional heat-trapping nature of foam beds. The mattress can be used on boxspring foundations, slatted bases, or adjustable frames (see our top adjustable picks here). A proprietary foundation or massaging adjustable base can be ordered on the company’s website.
The polyester blend cover is made of a proprietary Japanese formula that has cooling properties woven directly into the fabric. A half-inch Cool Fiber Layer and 1 inch of Gel Memory Foam are quilted into the cover for extra pressure relief and an immediate cooling effect the moment you lie down on the mattress. The stylish quilted white and black triangle-patterned cover can be unzipped and removed for easier spot-cleaning.
The total height of the mattress is 13 inches.
- The first layer is a thin Ghost Ice Layer connected to the foams beneath. This contains phase change technology that should promote a cool sleep experience.
- The second layer contains 2 inches of Gel Memory Foam for added temperature control and comforting pressure relief.
- The third layer is made up of a 2-inch Ghost Bounce Layer. This is a proprietary material that should behave like both Latex and Memory foam with both light contouring and bounce present, this should allow you to sink into the mattress but still move around easily.
- The fourth layer consists of 7.5 inches of High-Density Support Core for durability and overall stability.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
In our firmness rating system using a 1-10 scale, where 1 is cloud soft and 10 is rock-hard, we rank the GhostBed Luxe at 4.5, making it a Medium-Soft feel. We ranked The GhostBed at a Medium-Firm with a 6-6.5 score.
You should notice an immediate cooling sensation as you touch the exclusively designed cover. The cover should also feel soft and plush as you sink into the initial Memory Foam. Comforting pressure relief and a deep cradle should allow for maximum comfort, while the Firmer support foam below should provide neutral spinal alignment for most sleep positions.
Very little overall bounce should be present in this bed, especially on the surface. However, the lower Bounce Layer should provide some spring and rebound, which should result in easy repositioning.
Combination sleepers should enjoy the simplified repositioning because of the deeper bounce layer and low motion transfer thanks to the energy-absorbing foam. They should also experience comfortable support and spinal alignment, along with pressure relief in most positions.
Back sleepers should notice sturdy lumbar support and neutral spinal alignment thanks to the deep cradle and support core below.
Side sleepers should feel enhanced pressure relief as they sink into the cooling comfort layers of the mattress. This should help eliminate painful pushback on the shoulders and hips.
Most stomach sleepers should feel adequate support despite the sinkage of the upper layers. The support core should still keep the spine aligned and neutral.
Sleepers of all kinds should be well-suited by this bed and its pressure relieving qualities. Those who do prefer a Firmer feel can check out The GhostBed.
This mattress has a weight limit of 750 pounds. The company recommends sleepers over 300 pounds purchase the King size bed and pair it with their proprietary King GhostBed Foundation.
Memory Foam often performs well in terms of motion control. The energy-absorbing nature of these layers should help minimize motion transfer. This should be ideal for couples and people who share their bed with children or pets.
All-foam beds often compress through the comfort layers when sleepers lie or sit on the edge of the bed. You should notice deeper compression when sitting than lying down. This is as expected for an all-foam product and is not always an issue for most shoppers.
- Trial Period – The company offers a 101-night trial period so shoppers can get a feel for their new bed.
- Warranty – The Luxe bed comes with a 25-year warranty.
- Shipping – Shipping is free in the contiguous United States, a shipping fee is added for orders sent to Alaska and Hawaii.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – This product certified to contain minimal and safe levels of metals or chemicals like formaldehyde and lead.
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 13”||$995|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 13”||$1,175|
|Full||54” x 75” x 13”||$1,350|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 13”||$1,475|
|King||76” x 80” x 13”||$1,785|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 13”||$1,825|
The GhostBed Luxe offers a cool and comfortable experience well-suited to those who prefer a Medium-Soft comfort level.
GhostBed believes cool sleep equals better sleep. That’s why the company has put so much effort into providing a truly temperature-regulating bed that should satisfy even the warmest of sleepers.
People of all shapes and sizes should experience enhanced pressure relief and excellent lumbar support in most sleep positions. A deep hug combined with easy repositioning should keep shoppers feeling cozy and well-supported without feeling “stuck.”
While the Luxe is a little higher priced than the original GhostBed, the careful attention to cooling features and a versatile comfort experience should make this mattress well worth the investment.
Author: Jill Thompson
I've been self-employed for almost four years and I would not change it for anything! I believe that anyone can achieve their goals with the right attitude and determination.
I'm an avid traveler (25+ countries and counting) that loves to meet new people doing amazing things.
When I'm not researching for the Sleep Advisor, you can find me reading, running, traveling, golfing, or meditating.
I wish you the very best on your journey!