Shopping for a new mattress can be scary, but the only thing spooky about GhostBed is the name. This bed has a lot to offer, combining the springy conformance of latex and the unique cradling of memory foam to maximize pressure relief and support.
As you settle in on GhostBed, you should feel your aches and pains melt away—you might even say that you feel weightless, like a ghost! (Being a ghost isn’t all bad.) Our GhostBed mattress review will evaluate mattress highlights like cooling, motion transfer, and durability.
Read on for our detailed assessment. If you’d rather keep it short, jump—or float—to the end for the summary and final scoring.
Who Do We Think Matches With GhostBed?
- Combo sleepers – The quick-responding surface and the bounce from the base make repositioning a cinch, and the Medium-Firm feel is compatible with a variety of sleep positions. Combination sleepers who like to switch it up will welcome these features.
- Heavier folks – The high-density 7.5-inch base and 11-inch overall thickness make this bed a good choice for substantially heavier individuals. The company’s 750-pound weight limit is also significantly higher than some other all-foam bed-in-a-box options.
- Hot sleepers – Its breathable cover and aerated latex keep the top temperature regulated, and the memory materials are positioned away from the surface and infused with gel so that heat is not trapped next to the body.
Possible GhostBed Complaints:
- It doesn’t feel like classic memory foam. – The inclusion of high-quality gel memory foam offers deep-level pressure relief, especially for side sleepers, but the quick-responding surface and dense base will keep you resting closer to the surface which makes the bed easier to navigate. You will probably not experience the deep hug feel associated with traditional memory materials.
Construction: What’s inside Ghostbed?
Starting from the outside, the cover contains a plush blend of polyester and viscose, which was designed to be breathable and wick away moisture. It is fully removable as well, which is convenient for spot cleaning.
The mattress is 11 inches thick and includes 3 layers.
- On the top is 1.5 inches of Continuous Aerated Latex foam that provides some bounce and quick response time that assists repositioning while conforming nicely to your curves for pressure relief. This naturally heat-resistant material is also aerated with channels to promote airflow and temperature regulation.
- Sandwiched in the middler is 2 inches of Gel Memory Foam, which provides deeper level pressure relief and a transition to the base. This layer is positioned away from the body and infused with gel to reduce possible heat retention and overheating on the surface.
- The third layer is 7.5 inches of High-Density Base foam which gives the mattress a durable structure. It was designed to absorb and distribute your body’s weight comfortably while providing enough support to keep your spine in good alignment, regardless of sleep position.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
All-foam GhostBed arrives at your door compressed into a box and can be carried to your room for easy setup. Any flat surface, foundation, or adjustable base will suit this mattress. You can also buy the company’s foundations through the website.
Your first impression of this bed will be the quick-response time of the latex that should conform to your shape without making you feel like you have been sucked in. As your weight settles, most should start slowly interacting with the gel memory layer for deep-level pressure relief.
Sleeping near the top is an advantage with temperature regulation. More exposure to circulating air means your body will be less likely to overheat. Also, the aerated latex should dissipate heat and the gel in the memory layer will pull heat from the surface so it is not right up against your body.
Firmness Scale: 6.5/10
We know how hard you work, and all that work and stress can create uncomfortable pressure points, especially after months and months of sleeping on the wrong mattress. You might notice your hips, shoulders, neck, or core feeling sore after waking up, meaning your bed is working against you.
GhostBed contains both latex and memory foam, which softly conform to your body’s curves to maintain a comfortable position and melt away that pressure buildup. The overall experience of this mattress is a gentle cradle that holds your body closer to the surface. This is mainly due to the quick-responding latex that gives the bed a little pushback.
If your bed is too soft and doesn’t have a proper support system, your spine will remain in an unnatural position throughout the night, and you may find yourself bottoming out. This could cause some major long term problems, but in the short term, it may create aches and pains in, especially in the lumbar position.
The thick base provides some bounce, as does the surface latex, but this is slightly muffled by the memory foam layer that is sandwiched between the two. Overall, the bed has a medium bounce that will assist with repositioning and prevent you from feeling stuck.
This product’s weight limit is set at 750 pounds, which is significantly higher than many other bed-in-a-box all-foam brands, though the company does recommend that individuals over 300 pounds consider buying the King size.
If convenience is important to your mattress-buying experience, you will probably be pleased to know that GhostBed requires no coordination with a delivery service. In fact, this bed is vacuum-sealed, rolled up in a box, and placed right on your doorstep.
Designed with a breathable polyester/viscose blend cover, aerated latex, and gel-infused memory foam, the mattress helps regulate temperature, keeping your body out of contact with heat-trapping foams in the middle and bottom of the bed.
Great Motion Isolation
GhostBed performs well when it comes to high motion isolation, as we typically expect from all-foam constructions. Foam absorbs and muffles vibrations before they travel and disturb a partner sleeping on the other side. You should not have a problem with being woken by movement if you sleep light and this is a specific concern of yours.
This product comes from the owners of Nature’s Sleep and is constantly working to reduce packaging, freight space, and dependence on fossil fuels – all to minimize their carbon footprint.
Adjustable Base Compatible
Feel free to use GhostBed on an adjustable base of your choosing. The company also makes its own adjustable foundation available on its website.
Handcrafted in the USA
A third-party organization has tested the foams in this product and found them within required safety limits for hazardous chemicals and metals, including phthalates, ozone depleters, lead, and formaldehyde.
GhostBed is packed with quality foams and available for an affordable price that will not spook you.
Most side sleepers will enjoy how their more concentrated weight sinks through the latex and engages with the memory foam for additional pressure relief, especially in their hips and shoulders that can experience stress in this position. Some might prefer a bed that is a bit softer for some extra give (you can learn more about side sleeping position here).
Back sleepers need good support around the lumbar area to keep their spine straight. Most will experience a slight dip in their hips as the comfort layer conforms to and supports the natural curve of their back.
Because the bed is a bit firmer than average, most stomach sleepers should experience good spinal alignment as the thick supportive layers prevent their hips from descending too low and causing their back to arch.
GhostBed is versatile in feel and has a bit of bounce in the latex, so repositioning for combo sleepers should be a breeze. Those who move around a lot should be comfortable in most positions due to the neutral feel and contouring from the memory foam layers.
Sharing your bed with a significant other? Couples should find GhostBed to meet their needs well without needing to compromise. The medium firmness should be comfortable for most, and the all-foam construction isolates motion, so you shouldn’t feel any movement during the night if your partner tends to kickbox in their sleep. The edges are a little weaker than you would find in spring beds, but most shouldn’t be bothered by this if the mattress is large enough.
Heavier sleepers should love the support that they feel all the way through the layers. Many will find that they sink through the upper comfort layers and find a deeper support in the lower sections of the bed.
Those on the lighter side will love the upper comfort layers, but some may find the bed to be a bit too firm and will not be able to come into contact with the lower support layers.
GhostBed has blended all the best features of both latex and memory foam into one mattress, and its durable construction represents a really great value in the bed-in-a-box space, especially considering its attractive price point. Similar mattresses in a retail store could cost you thousands more.
Using synthetic latex in the top layer should prevent you from feeling stuck or overheating, but the deeper-level memory materials work to melt away pressure points, especially when you are sleeping on your side. The high-density base foam gives the bed a highly durable structure.
Overall, this design is aimed to stand the test of time and offer you quality comfort and support for decades, and there is nothing scary about that.
And if you want to browse more, here's our top list of beds for 2021.