Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Are you trying to decide between the springy conformance of latex and the unique cradling of memory foam?
GhostBed, which incorporates both materials into its comfort layers, was launched in 2015 and comes from Nature’s Sleep, one of the pioneers in the online mattress sales model and has been in business since 2001. Their goal is to offer higher quality materials at a better price.
Our in-depth GhostBed review will use a scoring system to evaluate mattress highlights like cooling, motion transfer, and durability.
Read on for our detailed assessment or jump to the end for the summary and final scoring.
You will love GhostBed if you:
- Are a combination sleeper – The quick-responding surface and the bounce from the base make repositioning a cinch, and the Medium-Firm feel is compatible with a variety of sleep positions. Combination sleepers who like to switch it up will welcome these features.
- Sleep hot – Its breathable cover and aerated latex keep the top temperature regulated, and the memory materials are positioned away from the surface and infused with gel so that heat is not trapped next to the body.
- Have higher weight considerations – The high-density 7.5-inch base and 11-inch overall thickness make this bed a good choice for individuals who are substantially heavier. The company’s 750-pound weight limit is also significantly higher than some other all-foam bed-in-a-box options.
You might not like GhostBed if you:
- Want a classic memory foam feel – The inclusion of high-quality gel memory foam offers deep-level pressure relief, especially for side sleepers, but the quick-responding surface and dense base will keep you resting closer to the surface which makes the bed easier to navigate. You will probably not experience the deep hug feel associated with traditional memory materials.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
All-foam GhostBed arrives at your door compressed into a box and can be carried to your room for easy setup. Any flat surface, foundation, or adjustable base will suit this mattress. You can also buy the company’s foundations through the website.
The cover contains a plush blend of polyester and viscose, which was designed to be breathable and wick away moisture. It is fully removable as well, which is convenient for spot cleaning.
The mattress is 11 inches thick and includes 3 layers.
- The first layer is 1.5 inches of Continuous Aerated Latex foam that provides some bounce and quick-response time that assists repositioning while conforming nicely to your curves for pressure relief. This naturally heat-resistant material is also aerated with channels to promote airflow and temperature regulation.
- The second layer is 2 inches of Gel Memory Foam, which provides deeper level pressure relief and a transition to the base. This layer is positioned away from the body and infused with gel to reduce possible heat retention and overheating on the surface.
- The third layer is 7.5 inches of High-Density Base foam which gives the mattress a durable structure. It was designed to absorb and distribute your body’s weight comfortably while providing enough support to keep your spine in good alignment, regardless of sleep position.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
On our firmness scale, we scored the GhostBed at a 6 to 6.5 out of 10, with 10 being the firmest. Mattresses in the medium-firm range appeal to a broad spectrum of individuals because they give just the right blend of support and comfort to work with most sleep positions.
Your first impression of this bed will be the quick-response time of the latex that will conform to your shape without making you feel like you have been sucked in. As your weight settles, most should start slowly interacting with the gel memory layer for deep-level pressure relief. The overall experience of this mattress is a gentle cradle that holds your body closer to the surface.
Sleeping near the top is an advantage with temperature regulation. More exposure to circulating air means your body will be less likely to overheat. Also, the aerated latex should dissipate heat and the gel in the memory layer will pull heat from the surface so it is not right up against your body.
The thick base provides some bounce, as does the surface latex, but this is slightly muffled by the memory foam layer that is sandwiched between the two. Overall, the bed has a medium bounce that will assist with repositioning and prevent you from feeling stuck.
Combination sleepers that switch positions a lot will appreciate the ease of navigation, as well as the versatility of the medium-firm feel.
Most back sleepers will experience a slight dip in their hips as the comfort layer conforms to and supports the natural curve of their back and keeps their spine straight.
Most side sleepers will enjoy how their more concentrated weight sinks through the latex and engages with the memory foam for additional pressure relief, especially in their hips and shoulders that can experience stress in this position (you can learn more about this position here).
Most stomach sleepers should experience good spinal alignment as the thick supportive layers prevent their hips from descending too low and causing their back to arch.
Keep in mind that firmness and feel are subjective qualities and while this mattress will provide a great sleep for a broad range of people, your experience might be slightly different.
This product’s weight limit is set at 750 pounds, which is significantly higher than many other bed-in-a-box all-foam brands, though the company does recommend that individuals over 300 pounds consider buying the King size.
Substantially larger side sleepers with pronounced curves may also risk bottoming out in the comfort materials and feel the mattress is significantly firmer than what has been described.
GhostBed performs well when it comes to high motion isolation, as we typically expect from all-foam constructions. Foam absorbs and muffles vibrations before they travel and disturb a partner sleeping on the other side.
Though there will be slightly more motion transfer compared to brands with more memory materials, you should not have a problem with being woken by movement if this is a specific concern of yours.
Mattresses that have been compressed into boxes do not tend to dominate in this category, and this foam construction performed as expected compared to competitive brands with similar constructions. You should be able to sleep securely on the side without feeling like you will roll out, but you may notice compression in the edge when sitting with all your weight concentrated over a smaller area.
This feature may not be a priority for you, but couples who use more of a mattress’ total surface area may want to think it over.
- Trial Period – 101 nights.
- Warranty – The warranty is for 20 years.
- Shipping – Ships free to the continental U.S. states with additional charge for freight to Alaska and Hawaii.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – A third-party organization has tested the foams in this product and found them within required safety limits for hazardous chemicals and metals, including phthalates, ozone depleters, lead, and formaldehyde.
- Environmental Initiatives – This product comes from the owners of Nature’s Sleep and is constantly working to reduce packaging, freight space, and dependence on fossil fuels – all to minimize their carbon footprint.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 11”||$495|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 11”||$650|
|Full||54” x 75” x 11”||$845|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 11”||$895|
|King||76” x 80” x 11”||$1,075|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 11”||$1,095|
GhostBed is packed with quality foams and available for an affordable price that will not spook you.
Note: We did not include Trial/Warranty scores due Amazon Associates Program stipulations.
GhostBed has blended all the best features of both latex and memory foam into one mattress, and its durable construction represents a really great value in the bed-in-a-box space, especially considering its attractive price point. Similar mattresses in a retail store could cost you thousands more.
Using synthetic latex in the top layer should prevent you from feeling stuck or overheating, but the deeper-level memory materials work to melt away pressure points, especially when you are sleeping on your side. The high-density base foam gives the bed a highly durable structure.
Overall, this design is aimed to stand the test of time and offer you quality comfort and support for decades, and there is nothing scary about that.
For more great picks, see our best list.
Author: Mark Reddick
When I’m not learning about sleep, you can find me hanging out with my wife and close friends.
I absolutely love entrepreneurship and learning how to improve yourself daily. We only get one life, and I want to make it the best one possible.
I hope that everyone that finds our site takes a new approach to sleep. The world needs to stop thinking about it as something “we just do,” but rather something that allows us “to do every day.”