Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
We get it. As a heavier person, mattress shopping is tough. Luckily, there’s a brand that was designed with your specific needs in mind.
Big Fig claims to be the first of its kind, a mattress designed to meet the unique needs of plus-sized and taller figures. This hybrid bed is made with latex, foam, and innerspring materials and is focused on features like cooling, durability, and enhanced support.
Keep reading our in-depth Big Fig bed overview to see how this mattress excels for heavier individuals, or scroll down to check out our summary and score.
Who Do We Think Matches With Big Fig?
- People with heavy or tall frames – This product was made with you in mind. The various layers implemented into construction were made to not sag over time, making this a lasting choice for heavier folks.
- Hot sleepers – This bed incorporates a number of cooling features that should keep those who normally find themselves throwing off the covers in a cool and comfortable state. Both the latex and innerspring layers were designed for enhanced airflow that hot sleepers should find accommodating.
- Hybrid lovers – This product’s hybrid technology was designed to give support to those who have been unable to find it in other beds. The materials used in this product have been layered to keep you feeling comfortable every time you fall asleep.
Possible Big Fig Complaints:
- It is too firm for lightweight people – Truth be told, this product was designed and constructed for heavier users. People with a lower weight consideration may find this model to be too firm, not allowing them to sink far enough into the comfort layers.
- Company Headquarters: Cleveland, OH
- Website: bigfigmattress.com
- Phone: (888) 344-6547
- Mail: [email protected]
The brand was founded in 2017 by a family that has been in the mattress industry for over 90 years. Alison Goodman and her father co-founded the company together after they noticed a gap in beds made specifically with the needs of bigger folks in mind.
After researching problems that tall and heavy frames face when it comes to their sleeping space, the initial design took shape. This brand looked at problems like sagging, overheating, poor support, materials shifting, and poor durability and designed a bed that would be the ultimate solution—the Big Fig.
Construction: What’s inside Big Fig?
The Big Fig is a Big fig, standing 13 inches high before you add in the included frame.
People who are heavier will often wear a standard bed out faster than lighter folks and, in some cases, void the warranty. For this reason, the manufacturer has constructed this mattress with materials that should last sleepers long past the 20-year warranty.
The cover is blended with Thermogel treated fabric that draws heat away from the body, allowing sleepers to rest on an actively cool surface. The cover is also quilted with an inch of perforated foam that provides this bed with initial comfort when lying down. It has been hand tufted to help ensure that the construction does not shift over time.
- The first layer is a half-inch of gel-infused latex foam. This layer gives the surface bounce that facilitates repositioning. The latex is aerated, allowing for enhanced airflow throughout, which helps to provide increased temperature regulation and cooling bed properties that are great for those who sleep warm at night.
- The second layer is 3 sheets of 4-inch poly foam for “no-sag” cushioning performance. This firmer layer adds necessary support and has an immediate response to pressure, so sleepers should never feel like they are sinking too deeply into this bed.
- The third layeris a 7-inch layer of pocketed coils. This layer performs well under pressure and provides deep level support, stability, and bounce. These individually pocketed coils create additional space inside the mattress that increases airflow through the deeper layers.
- The base layer is a 1-inch foam layer that provides mattress protection and push-support for the coil layer.
- The base layer of the bed is constructed from 3 inches of thick high-density foam that equips this bed with extra supportive sides.
Included with every purchase is the Big Fig Foundation. The company claims this supports up to 5 times the weight of a standard foundation and can hold up to 2000 pounds.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
This product arrives at your door in its full and complete size. Because this is a heavier bed, optional white glove delivery and mattress removal are available to interested customers.
The company manufactures its own frame, but you can also use a metal frame with strong center support and at least five legs.
The surface of the cover is white with a beautiful swirl design, and the perimeter and foundation are both navy blue. The cover should feel soft and plush.
When first lying down, you should feel well supported in a gentle cradle, relaxed on the mattress’s top comfort layer. Both the cover and latex foam are infused with temperature-regulating gel, so overheating should never be an issue.
As your body sinks through the initial layers, it should be met with a firm base of support from the high-density foam and innerspring unit. With 50% more coils than most other beds, there is a good amount of bounce that should help with repositioning.
Firmness Scale: 7.5/10
All it takes is one night on a hard mattress to figure out where your pressure points are. While many people turn to memory foam when it comes to relieving pressure, all-foam beds tend to be too soft for bigger frames, lacking the support and durability they need.
The brand took these special needs into consideration when designing this hybrid bed. Considering this product is made for folks who weigh in the 300+ lbs range, this bed’s target sleeper should experience it between a medium-soft and medium firmness with a good amount of pressure relief because higher weight concentrations can sink into materials easier.
Support is often a big struggle when it comes to those with heavier weight considerations. Without adequate support, all of their weight can sink through the layers and leave the spine in an awkward position.
The combination of firmer foams and pushback from the pocketed coils should provide a high level of support regardless of sleeping position. Being built for long-term durability and with internal tufting means you shouldn’t have to worry about the materials sagging or shifting over time.
White Glove Delivery Available
For an additional fee the company offers in-home installation of their product as well as removal of your old bed.
The mattress topper is made with ThermoGel cooling technology and beneath this is a layer of perforated, gel-infused latex foam for breathability and airflow.
Exceptional Edge Support
The reinforced foam edges should make it so you can comfortably sleep on the edge without experiencing any sensations of rolling off. When sitting on the sides, the fear of bottoming out, even for heavier individuals, should never ever be an issue.
Great Motion Isolation
This product has a reasonable response to motion considering its overall firmness and buoyancy in the latex and coil layers. The pocket coils, although bouncy nature, actually help minimize motion because they are wrapped and separated from the other coils.
The responsive latex layer, firm poly foams, and pocket coils give this bed a good deal of bounce. This can help make it easy for sleepers to reposition during the night.
Adjustable Base Compatible
The foam edge supports in this product make it compatible with an adjustable base.
Big Fig Foundation
This product is included with every purchase of the mattress.
Made in the USA
All products are manufactured in the brand’s factory located in Cleveland, OH.
The foams have been certified by independent and accredited laboratories that test for standards in content, emissions, and durability.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping - Shipping is free within the continental United States.
- Trial - There is a 120 night trial period that permits customers to return the product for a full refund within this time period if they are not satisfied with their purchase.
- Warranty - This product comes with a 20-year warranty.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||39” x 75” x 13”||$1,299|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 13”||$1,399|
|Full||54” x 75” x 13”||$1,499|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 13”||$1,699|
|King||76” x 80” x 13”||$1,999|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 13”||$1,999|
Big Fig’s targeted design and enhanced support make it a remarkable option for heavier folks.
Side sleepers often deal with unwanted pressure when lying on a bed. This is because of the increased weight in the hips and shoulders over a lower surface area, for this reason, most side sleepers enjoy a softer surface. Side sleepers in the average weight range may find that this option is too firm for their taste, but those heavier individuals who this product is designed for should find that this option more than fulfills their needs.
Back sleepers should sense the foam cover filling in the spaces between their shoulders and their hips, while the latex conforms to the curves of the body. The back should feel well aligned and the support this bed provides should keep you comfortable all night long.
Stomach sleepers should find that this elevates their hips, keeping their body comfortably aligned. The top foam cushion provides a soft comforting contouring that stomach sleepers should enjoy.
Combination sleepers should find it easy to move around between positions throughout the night thanks to the responsive layers with a good amount of bounce. The versatility of this bed with a good balance of comfort and support should make it a good fit regardless of sleeping position.
For heavy couples looking for a mattress that can accommodate their combined needs, this could be a great fit. With a good deal of bounce, reinforced edge support, and low motion transfer, it has all of the features most couples are shopping for. The manufacturer does recommend a weight restriction of 1000 lbs for two sleepers and 500 lbs for individuals.
This bed was made with heavy individuals in mind, taking into account the top 9 problems that they typically face. This hybrid construction was built with durable, high-quality materials and has cooling properties, reinforced edge support, and other features that plus-size and taller frames may love.
This mattress is designed for heavier frames and would likely feel much too firm for individuals under 120 lbs, unless they prefer an extra firm feel. Lighter frames usually do best with a softer mattress.
Big Fig caters to the needs of heavier folks wanting a mattress that was designed with them in mind. The design incorporates a variety of materials and technology targeted at giving these individuals a great night's rest.
If finding a plus-sized mattress has been a struggle, we recommend looking into this uniquely designed product. It might just be what you are looking for.