Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Are you a heavier person struggling to find a mattress tailored to fit your specific needs?
Big Fig Mattress is designed for folks with a “bigger figure” and is a brand created out of frustration. The fifth generation mattress maker realized there was a gap in the online bedding market for plus sized and taller individuals looking for an option that fits their body type and remains durable. This bed includes a hybrid latex, foam, and innerspring design focused on the support needs of heavier individuals.
Our in-depth Big Fig bed overview is based on our scoring system that looks at items such as quality, support, and overall value.
Continue reading to see how this mattress excels for heavier individuals or scroll down to check out our summary and score.
You will love this mattress if you:
- Are a heavier individual – This product was made with you in mind. The various layers implemented into construction were made to not sag over time, making this a lasting choice for heavier folks.
- Sleep hot – This bed incorporates a number of cooling features that should keep those who normally find themselves throwing off the covers in a cool and comfortable state. Both the latex and innerspring layers of this mattresses were designed for enhanced airflow that hot sleepers should find accommodating.
- Want comfort and support – This product’s hybrid technology was designed to give support to those who have been unable to find it in other beds. The materials used in this product have been layered to keep you feeling comfortable every time you fall asleep.
You might not like this mattress if you:
- Are lightweight – Truth be told, this bed was designed and constructed for heavier users. People with a lower weight consideration may find this model to be too firm, not allowing them to sink far enough into the comfort layers. You can check our top picks for 2019 that are perfect for everyone!
Construction (Materials & Quality)
The Big Fig Mattress arrives at your door in its full and complete size. Because this is a heavier bed, optional White Glove Delivery and mattress removal are available to interested customers.
The company manufactures their own frame, but if customers go with another option they suggest using a metal frame with a strong center support and at least 5 legs. The foam edge supports in this product make it compatible with an adjustable base.
People who are heavier will often wear a standard bed out faster than lighter folks and in some cases, void the warranty. For this reason, the manufacturer has constructed this mattress with materials that should last sleepers long past the 20-year warranty.
The cover is blended with Thermogel treated fabric that draws heat away from the body, allowing sleepers to rest on an actively cool surface. The cover is quilted with an inch of perforated foam that provides this bed with initial comfort when lying down. It has been hand tufted to help ensure that the construction does not shift over time.
- The first layer is a half-inch of Gel Infused Latex Foam. This layer gives surface bounce that facilitates repositioning. The latex is aerated, allowing for enhanced airflow throughout, helping to provide increased temperature regulation and cooling bed properties that are great for those who sleep warm at night.
- The second layer is three sheets of 4-inch poly foam for “no-sag” cushioning performance. This firmer layer adds necessary support and has an immediate response to pressure, so sleepers should never feel like they are sinking too deep into this bed.
- The third layer is a 7-inch layer of pocketed coils. This layer performs well under pressure and provides deep level support, stability, and bounce. These individually pocketed coils create additional space inside the mattress that increases airflow through the deeper layers.
- The base is a 1-inch foam layer that provides mattress protection and push-support for the coil layer.
- The perimeter of the bed is constructed from 3 inches of thick High-Density Edge Foam that equips this bed with extra supportive sides.
Included with every purchase is the Big Fig Foundation. The company claims this supports up to 5 times the weight of a standard foundation and can hold up to 2000 lbs.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
We scored this mattress at a 7.5 out of 10 on our firmness scale, with a 10 being the firmest. It is important to note that firmness is subjective to different body shapes, sizes, and an individual's overall preferences.
Considering this product is made for folks who weigh in the 300+ lbs range, this bed’s target sleeper should experience it between a Medium-Soft and Medium firmness because higher weight concentrations can sink into materials easier. Whereas considerably lighter individuals might consider it to be an extra firm.
The cover feels soft and plush. When first lying down you should feel well supported in a gentle cradle, relaxed on the mattresses’ top comfort layer.
The responsive latex layer, firm poly foams, and pocket coils give this bed a good deal of bounce. This can help make it easy for sleepers to reposition during the night.
Back sleepers should get a sense the foam cover filling in the spaces between their shoulders and their hips, while the latex conforms to the curves of the body. The back should feel well aligned and the support this bed provides should keep you comfortable all night long.
Side sleepers often deal with unwanted pressure when lying on a bed. This is because of the increased weight in the hips and shoulders over a lower surface area, for this reason, most side sleepers enjoy a softer surface. Side sleepers in the average weight range may find that this option is too firm for their taste, but those heavier individuals who this product is designed for should find that this option more than fulfills their needs.
Stomach sleepers should find that this elevates their hips, keeping their body comfortably aligned. The top foam cushion provides a soft comforting contouring that stomach sleepers should enjoy.
This is a great option for heavier sleepers but will accommodate pretty much all body types, although lighter individuals might find that this model is too firm for their personal preference. It could be great for couples where one partner may be heavier than the other. The manufacturer does recommend a weight restriction of 1000 lbs for two sleepers and 500 lbs for individuals.
A bed with low motion transfer is a preference that many couples look for in a bed because of its ability to isolate movements to one side of the mattress.
Big Fig has a reasonable response to motion considering its overall firmness and buoyancy in the latex and coil layers. The pocket coils, although bouncy nature, actually help minimize motion because they are wrapped and separated from the other coils. There is slightly more motion transfer in this bed than in an all-foam or memory foam option, but this should only bother the lightest sleepers.
Edge support is essential for sleepers wanting to utilize their entire sleeping surface area. Bigger individuals who take up more room will especially enjoy the edge optimization features this product includes.
The reinforced foam edges should make it so you can comfortably sleep on the edge of this bed without experiencing any sensations of rolling off. When sitting on the sides, the fear of bottoming out, even for heavier individuals, should never ever be an issue.
- Trial Period – There is a 101 night trial period that permits customers to return the product for a full refund within this time period if they are not satisfied with their purchase.
- Warranty – This product comes with a 20-year warranty.
- Big Fig Foundation – This product is included with every purchase of their mattress.
- Shipping – Shipping is free within the continental United States.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – The foams have been certified by independent and accredited laboratories that test for standards in content, emissions, and durability.
- White Glove Delivery – For an additional fee the company offers in-home installation of their product as well as removal of your old bed.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 13”||$1,299|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 13”||$1,399|
|Full||54” x 75” x 13”||$1,499|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 13”||$1,699|
|King||76” x 80” x 13”||$1,999|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 13”||$1,999|
Big Fig’s targeted design and enhanced support make it a remarkable option for heavier folks.
If finding a plus-sized mattress has been a struggle, we recommend looking into this uniquely designed product. It might just be what you are looking for.
Author: Sarah Cummings
I think we’re all nerds, but I’m probably the biggest nerd in the group. Put me nose deep in a spreadsheet and I'll start smiling.
I love to travel, hang out with positive people, and love cycling when I find the time!
My hope is that everyone who visits our site will walk away with a fresh perspective. I think too many people in society downplay the importance of sleep. In my opinion, it’s the difference between an average life and an amazing one.