Does better sleep sound like music to your ears?
People have been singing the praises of Purple since the brand launched its initial best-selling bed in 2016. Purple’s popularity grew, thanks to its proprietary polymer grid system that was developed by two brothers—one a rocket scientist and the other an engineer.
That same technology that offers pressure-free support in beds is now available in a pillow.
We’ll talk about how it performs for different sleeping positions, regulating temperature, support, and more in our in-depth Purple Harmony Pillow review—but if you’re in a rush, skip ahead to the end for our final thoughts and score.
You will love Purple Harmony if you:
- Sleep hot – If you struggle with overheating, having a pillow with cooling features can make a world of difference. The Purple Harmony has a breathable mesh cover, 1,500 open-air channels in the Purple Grid™, and a ventilated latex core. The result is maximum airflow for your coolest night’s sleep.
- Need balanced support – If you loved Purple’s first two pillows but want the best of both, the Harmony is it. The bounce and resiliency of the latex foam coupled with the pressure-free support of the Grid™ come together in one harmonious sleep symphony.
- Change positions throughout the night – Combination sleepers should find this pillow equally comfy and supportive no matter what position they end up in. The spring-like nature means the Harmony should instantly conform to your head so you never feel stuck as you’re moving around in the night (although we doubt you’ll be doing much of that on this pillow).
You might not like Purple Harmony if you:
- Have a smaller budget – High-end features come at a high-end price point, but the good news is that you get what you pay for! The quality and durability of the Harmony mean it should outlast standard pillows, and it comes with a 1-year warranty to prove it.
Looking to browse more? See our list of highest-rated pillows of this year here.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
If you’re stuck at home or just love the convenience of online shopping, you’ll be pleased to know that this product ships directly to your home in a box. As soon as you unroll it from its packaging, it bounces back into shape. No fluffing or waiting hours for it to expand.
There are two lofts (heights) to choose from: the Standard, which is 6.5 inches, or the Tall, which is 7.5 inches. The Standard is designed to work best for back sleepers, side sleepers with smaller frames, and stomach sleepers. The Tall is better-suited for side sleepers with average to larger frames and anyone who likes a taller pillow.
If you’re familiar with Purple’s other two pillows, the Harmony is like the perfect blend of both (hence the name). The cover is made from a breathable, moisture-wicking mesh material that’s stretchy and can be removed for easy machine washing.
Built into the cover is the Purple Grid Hex™, which is the same polymer grid system that’s found in their best selling mattresses. Just like in their beds, it’s designed to provide “no pressure® support” and allow for maximum airflow.
If you unzip this outer sleeve, you’ll see that the core is made from hypoallergenic Talalay latex that’s ventilated so trapped heat can escape. Latex is ideal for pillows because it’s a soft and responsive foam but more durable than other materials.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
This model has a soft-medium feel and is incredibly bouncy. The combination of the Purple Grid™ and latex gives it a spring-like feel that works to relieve pressure while keeping your head well supported, regardless of sleep position.
While it has a higher loft, it compresses under pressure to keep the head and neck in neutral alignment with the spine. The goal is to find a height that prevents your head from tilting up or falling back.
There’s no 100% guaranteed way to make this happen, and a lot depends on your shoulders, your head size, and the mattress you’re sleeping on. Having two lofts to choose from with the Purple Harmony should help to find the closest fit.
Back sleepers should feel their head sinking in comfortably but without feeling stuck like with memory foam. Both the head and neck should feel very well supported while keeping the spine in a neutral position. The Standard height would likely be the best fit for most back sleepers.
Side sleepers will likely find that this model fills in the space between the head and the mattress very nicely while relieving pressure. This Standard height should be great for most side sleepers, but if you’re really tall or weigh more than 250 pounds, you could try out the Tall.
Surprisingly, this pillow should even feel comfortable for stomach sleepers. It’s ultra-breathable, so you shouldn’t feel smothered when your head sinks in. The Standard would likely be the better fit for stomach sleepers since it has the lowest loft.
All in all, this pillow should be a great fit for all sleeping positions or for those who change positions throughout the night. It has features to keep sleepers cool and requires no adjusting, primping, or fluffing in the night.
What’s nice about this pillow is that it doesn’t feel cool to the touch, but it’s one of the coolest pillows we’ve reviewed. It has a high-tech feel and built-in features that should keep sleepers cool all night long. The cover is a breathable mesh, and the openness of the Grid™ and ventilated latex are designed to let air flow freely throughout.
Noise & Smell
Some materials can be comfy but have a chemical smell or noisy filling. The Purple Harmony Pillow is virtually silent and odorless, so the only sense you should experience is the luxurious feel.
- Loft Options – Available in Standard (6.5”) or Tall (7.5”).
- Warranty – Comes with a year-long warranty.
- Shipping – Free shipping and returns in the 48 contiguous United States.
- Sleep Trial – Try it out for 100 nights risk-free.
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Standard||26″ x 17″ x 6.5″||$159|
|Tall||26″ x 17″ x 7.5″||$159|
The Purple Harmony offers a balanced feel with a blend of softness and support. It’s an every-position pillow with cooling features and two lofts to choose from.
If you want to harmonize your sleep, look no further than Purple’s latest design. The brand has taken what everyone loves in its beds and created the world’s first pillow with Purple Grid™ Hex technology. With a soft and cozy feel that offers just-right pressure relief and support, sleepers should be drifting off to blissful sleep no matter what position they find themselves in.
If you loved Purple’s first two pillows but want something a little more balanced, Purple promises that the Harmony pillow is it. With cooling features, two lofts to choose from, and a risk-free 100-night trial, we think it’s worth a try.