Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
The quality of your pillow could help you achieve better sleep, but that doesn’t mean you have to spend a fortune on one. Plenty of budget-friendly pillows can offer substantial comfort, support, and durability.
There’s more to pillows than price, though. Buying a pillow that doesn’t complement your sleep style may contribute to neck pain, pressure build-up, and frequent tossing and turning. For this reason, it’s crucial to choose the right option that helps eliminate these issues. In this article, we share the best cheap pillows for every type of sleeper and the most important factors you should consider before buying.
Our Picks for the Best Affordable Pillows of 2023
- Lagoon The Hippo Pillow – Editor's Choice
- Coop Home Goods The Original Pillow – Most Comfortable Cheap Pillow
- Tempur-Pedic TEMPUR-Cloud Adjustable Pillow – Best Cheap Adjustable Pillow
- Marlow Pillow – Best Cheap Pillow for Back Sleepers
- Nest Easy Breather Pillow – Best Cheap Cooling Pillow
- Brooklyn Bedding Premium Shredded Foam Pillow – Best Cheap Hypoallergenic Pillow
- Sleep Number PlushComfort Pillow – Best Cheap Luxury Pillow
- Avocado Mini Molded Latex Pillow – Best Cheap Mini Pillow
- Nectar Resident Pillow – Best Cheap Memory Foam Pillow
- MOLECULE Infinity Essential Pillow – Best Cheap Pillow for Hot Sleepers
Top 10 Affordable Pillows
Lagoon The Hippo Pillow
- CertiPUR-US® Certified Foam
- Bamboo and Polyester Cover
- Machine-Washable Cover
- Risk-Free 100-Night Trial
If you’re after a high-quality pillow that won’t break the bank, you may want to consider the Lagoon Hippo pillow. This pillow offers firm support and is best for those who don’t usually change their sleeping position. Lightweight side sleepers and heavier back sleepers should benefit the most from this memory foam pillow as it retains its shape throughout the night.
The memory foam mattress is CertiPUR-US®-certified and allows slow sinkage. You should feel the foam adapting to your neck and head, which helps prevent pressure build-up in this area. If you’re hesitant to try the Hippo out, take comfort in its 5-year warranty and a 100-night trial which gives you ample time to decide if it’s right for you.
What makes it stand out?
- Molded memory foam is a great choice for people who want a firmer, more supportive pillow. The Hippo pillow allows enough sinkage to prevent pressure build-up, but you won’t sink too deeply where you feel trapped in this pillow.
Most Comfortable Cheap Pillow
Coop Home Goods The Original Pillow
- Interlocking Dual Case
- Washable Lulltra™ Cover
- GREENGUARD Gold Certification
- CertiPUR-US® Certification
If you’re after ultimate comfort, you may want to consider this Coop Home Goods model. The Coop Home Goods Original features a blend of microfiber and foam to deliver support and lasting comfort in all sleeping positions. The construction starts with an interlocking dual-case system that allows easy access to the filling inside. As a result, you can adjust the loft and firmness level by adding or removing some of the fill.
Another advantage to this pillow is that it comes with an additional half-pound of fill, so you can make it even firmer than it originally was. The Coop Home Goods Original is available in two sizes, Queen and King, making it easy to find one that matches your needs and bed size.
Why we like it
- The Coop Home Goods Original pillow comes with GREENGUARD Gold and CertiPUR-US® certifications, indicating the materials are free of chemicals, toxins, and other harmful substances.
- The pillow is hypoallergenic, so it’s a safe option for sleepers prone to allergies.
Best Cheap Adjustable Pillow
Tempur-Pedic TEMPUR-Cloud Adjustable Pillow
- Tempur® Material
- Customizable Shape and Support
- Free Shipping
- 5-Year Warranty
The TEMPUR-Cloud Adjustable Pillow is a fantastic option from the well-known brand, Tempur-Pedic. The pillow features the brand’s proprietary Tempur® material that adapts to your shape, weight, and body temperature to deliver customized support and comfort. In addition, this material has excellent pressure-relieving properties, so it’s good for those who struggle with pressure build-up.
The Tempur® material is breathable thanks to its open-cell structure, fostering continuous airflow. Plus, its high density gives sleepers plenty of support, especially those who sleep on their side and back. Stomach sleepers may also like it since they can remove some of the fill to make the loft lower.
What you should know
- Tempur-Pedic’s adjustable pillow has a removable and machine-washable cover treated with Surface Guard Technology™, protecting it from allergens. As a result, the pillow is suitable for allergy-prone sleepers.
- The blended fill is removable, so you can customize the firmness and loft to match your preferred sleeping position.
Best Cheap Pillow for Back Sleepers
- Cooling Memory Foam
- Three Loft Profiles
- Adjusts easily
Back sleepers often need a pillow with a lower loft to keep their spine in line with their neck. The Marlow is an affordable adjustable pillow that makes it easy to customize the height to your preference. With a zipper that allows easy access for adjusting, this pillow’s memory foam design contours nicely to your head and neck.
Don’t let the all-foam design fool you — the Marlow uses microfiber and gel infusions in its design so it’s unlikely to overheat. The gel helps draw the heat away from your skin, while the ventilated zipper gussets allow it to escape. Back sleepers should appreciate the pillow’s ability to retain shape even if they sometimes change positions.
Why we like it:
- The Marlow is a good choice for people struggling with allergies as it’s designed to repel dust and mites. The cover is also breathable, which helps the pillow stay cool throughout the night.
Best Cheap Cooling Pillow
Nest Easy Breather Pillow
- CertiPUR-US® Certified
- Ships Overstuffed
- Eco-Friendly Cover
- Washable Cover
You don’t have to buy the most expensive pillow to enjoy a cool night’s rest. Aptly named, the Nest Easy Breather pillow is stuffed with shredded memory foam and features cooling fabric that helps it stay breathable and airy throughout the night. This way, you don’t have to constantly flip your pillow over to the ‘cool’ side. The cooling fabric also helps regulate your body temperature while wicking away moisture to prevent bacteria build-up.
The Nest Easy Breather pillow has an eco-friendly cover and a cotton inner pouch that holds the fill in place. On top of that, it comes overstuffed, which allows you to remove some of the fill for a more customized feel.
What you should know:
- The foam in this cooling pillow is CertiPUR-US® certified, so you don’t have to worry about any initial odor caused by off-gassing. The odor isn’t harmful and should dissipate within a few hours.
Best Cheap Hypoallergenic Pillow
Brooklyn Bedding Premium Shredded Foam Pillow
- Two Sizes Available
- Cooling Gel Foam Infusion
- Latex and Memory Foam blend
- Washable Cover
People with allergies understand that certain materials could trigger a reaction that would make it difficult to sleep. Although some allergies are more severe than others, they can all affect the quality of your sleep. For this reason, Brooklyn Bedding came up with this Premium Shredded Foam Pillow that features natural Talalay latex and cooling gel-infused foam. The blend is hypoallergenic and suitable for those with allergies.
This Brooklyn Bedding pillow is also a good choice for hot sleepers since the addition of gel helps keep the surface cool. Additionally, the pillow draws body heat away from your head and neck, allowing for a cooler sleep environment.
Why do we like it?
- Talalay latex is a natural material, so it’s one of the best options for those struggling with asthma and allergies.
- The cover is removable and machine-washable, but make sure to use a gentle setting. Tumble-drying is also safe as long as the heat is low.
Best Cheap Luxury Pillow
Sleep Number PlushComfort Pillow
- Three Shapes Available
- Standard 100 by Oeko-Tex® Certification
Nobody does luxury for an affordable price like Sleep Number. The PlushComfort pillow is silky-soft and stuffed with the brand’s proprietary PlushComfort™ down alternative microfiber fill. The microfiber mimics the softness of down, while the brushed cotton cover adds to its overall plushness and luxury feel.
This luxury pillow is available in three shapes, so it should be easy to find one that suits your needs and preferences. The Classic PlushComfort pillow is best for stomach and back sleepers, while the Curved model is more suitable for side and back sleepers. The Ultimate Curved pillow also has three removable inserts that allow you to adjust its height and support level, which makes it good for all sleeping positions.
Why it’s unique:
- The PlushComfort Pillow by Sleep Number comes in three different shapes, so it's a good option for a variety of sleepers. Its ultra-soft helps create a luxuriously comfortable sleep experience.
Best Cheap Mini Pillow
Avocado Mini Molded Latex Pillow
- Organic Molded Latex
- FSC® Certified
- GOTS Organic Certified Cotton Cover
- Charcoal-Infused Latex Core
Mini pillows are excellent for traveling because they don’t take up too much space and are generally easy to carry around. This Avocado pillow is a mini version of their Molded Latex Pillow that’s made for sleepers on the go. The pillow is designed to deliver support, comfort, and cooling, so it’s also a good option for those who sleep hot.
This Avocado is molded from an FSC® certified latex infused with charcoal for added cooling properties. In addition, the core holds its shape, so your head won’t sink in too deeply. And the combination of molded latex and a GOTS-certified cotton cover allows temperature regulation and an odor-free sleeping environment.
What else should you know?
- This Avocado mini pillow comes with a 1-year warranty, a 100-night trial, and free shipping, all of which make it an attractive option for value seekers.
- The molded latex in this product has a medium firmness, so it’s excellent for side and back sleepers, but most stomach sleepers may find it too firm.
Best Cheap Memory Foam Pillow
Nectar Resident Pillow
- Adjustable Firmness
- Easy To Clean
- Best for Back and Side Sleepers
- 50-Night Trial
- 5-Year Warranty
Memory foam is one of the best pillow materials because it adapts to your neck and head. This makes it particularly good for side and back sleepers who need both support and comfort. The Nectar Resident pillow is made from two kinds of foam: firmer foam in the outer shell and softer foam in the inner part.
The pillow comes over-filled, which allows you to remove some of the fill to achieve the firmness level best for your sleeping habits. The Resident is also easy to spot-clean with warm water and mild soap, making maintenance a breeze.
Why it’s unique
- The Nectar Resident memory foam pillow cradles your head and neck area to prevent pressure build-up. However, it remains supportive and doesn’t allow your head to sink in, which helps keep the spine in good alignment.
- This model comes with a 5-year warranty and a 50-night trial, giving customers plenty of time to decide if it’s the right choice.
Best Cheap Pillow for Hot Sleepers
MOLECULE Infinity Essential Pillow
- Air-Engineering™ Technology
- Antimicrobial Microban™ Cover
- Free Shipping
- Designed and Made in the USA
Hot sleepers often struggle to find the right position and a cool spot on the bed. For this reason, it’s valuable to have a cooling pillow that prevents you from overheating and sweating even during the hottest nights. The MOLECULE Infinity Essential Pillow is designed with Air-Engineering™ technology that allows it to stay cool at all times, making this a great pick for hot sleepers.
The pillow also features an antimicrobial Microban™ cover that promotes additional cooling. The fill is made from a blend of memory and conventional foam to bring ample support in most sleeping positions, though some stomach sleepers may find it too tall.
What’s worth mentioning?
- The antimicrobial Microban™ cover helps the pillow stay cool and comes with moisture-wicking properties.
- The foams in this pillow are CertiPUR-US® certified, which tells you they’re free of chemicals, toxins, and harmful substances.
MOLECULE offers free shipping and a 30-night sleep trial with the purchase of this pillow.
What to Look for When Buying a New Pillow
Buying a pillow is an important step toward having a good night’s sleep. Apart from the price, you should consider the fill, loft, and firmness, among other things, that can help you find the most comfortable cheap pillow.
Pillows come with different fill materials that offer variable performance. For example, some materials are softer but need fluffing, while others are firmer and solid. The fill determines the shape and often the longevity of the pillow. Some of the most common fill materials in cheap pillows are listed below.
- Shredded Memory Foam – Shredded memory foam is made when large foam sheets are broken into smaller pieces. This material is often used in pillows because it’s softer than solid memory foam. Shredded foam is also more breathable and unlikely to overheat, so it rarely has any gel infusions.
- Solid Memory Foam – Solid memory foam is a single-piece foam typically used in firmer pillows because it offers excellent support with a bit of contouring to relieve pressure. Solid memory foam retains its shape well and will bounce right back to its original state once you get out of bed.
If you're interested in learning more about memory foam pillows, check out our top picks for the best memory foam pillows.
Down is another common option for those seeking a soft pillow. The fiber comes from the underside of a goose or duck. Down pillows are fluffy and soft but may sometimes flatten, which is why they require frequent fluffing and shaking. The significant downside to down pillows is the higher price.
Down alternative is made from polyester, rayon, and other synthetic materials. The fibers are supposed to mimic down, which is why this type of filling is called down alternative. Although real down is softer and fluffier, down alternative is often cheaper and better for allergy-prone people because it’s hypoallergenic.
Latex is a popular pillow fill option, but it may not be as cheap. This material is extracted from a natural rubber tree, so it’s a good option for eco-conscious shoppers and those prone to allergies. Latex is firm and holds its shape well, so these pillows are unlikely to collapse under your weight. Latex pillows are often cooler than memory foam, making them good for hot sleepers.
Learn more: Best Latex Pillows
Feather comes from the bottom part of the bird’s feather. This part of a feather is fluffy and soft. However, like down, it requires frequent fluffing and shaking to return to its original shape because it tends to flatten after several uses. Feather pillows are also easy to adjust by adding or removing the feathers from the interior.
Read more: Down vs Feather
Buckwheat pillows are filled with hulls of buckwheat seeds. These may feel springy if you pressure them, but they provide firm support. This makes buckwheat pillows good for back and side sleepers in need of good support for healthy spine alignment. The hulls also promote airflow, keeping the pillows cool for hot sleepers to use.
Kapok is a natural pillow filling suitable for eco-conscious shoppers. The fibers are similar to silk, making these pillows suitable for all sleeping positions. Kapok is a good alternative to down and feather as it has no odor and provides similar performance. Kapok comes from the tropical Kapok tree instead of an animal, so it’s also vegan.
Cotton is commonly used in pillows because it’s thick, firm, and durable. Cotton pillows are slightly firmer, but some brands offer softer models that have a blend of cotton and other materials. As such, cotton pillows are a good option for back sleepers looking for ample support for the head and neck area.
Wool offers support and comfort, and pillows with this filling are often adjustable. Natural wool is typically combined with cotton for enhanced comfort. Wool pillows are sturdy and contouring, which helps promote a healthy spine alignment when sleeping on your back and side. However, wool is rarely found in cheap pillows since it’s usually made in luxury products.
Microbeads in a pillow are made from polystyrene. The beads provide a comfortable sleeping experience because they’re pliable and breathable. Because they’re small, microbeads foster sufficient airflow to keep the pillow cool, making it a good option for hot sleepers.
Pillow loft refers to its height, and sleepers have their choice of different loft options. Although most people find a pillow loft between four to six inches the most comfortable, the right height is a matter of preference. You should first consider your preferred sleeping position since back and side sleepers usually need slightly higher pillows than those who sleep on their stomach. Conversely, stomach sleepers need a lower loft to prevent neck pain. In some cases, the loft is easy to adjust by adding or removing the fill. If you’re not sure what loft you prefer, an adjustable loft could be helpful.
Much like the loft, firmness and support are also a matter of preference. Some people like soft pillows that flatten when you lie on them, while others like firm pillows that retain their shape even under compression. The firmness of your pillow depends on the fill. For example, down pillows are almost always softer than memory foam. The support a pillow can provide depends on its firmness because softer pillows aren’t as good at supporting the head and neck as firmer models.
Even cheap pillows can be cooling, making it easy for hot sleepers to achieve a better night’s sleep without breaking the bank. How well a pillow performs in this category depends on its materials and structure. For example, microbeads are usually cooler than memory foam. However, some brands use cooling gels to make a memory foam pillow more suitable for those who sleep hot. The pillow’s cover also significantly affects how hot or cold it runs. If you tend to sleep hot, you may find what you're looking for in our top picks for best cooling pillows.
You can still get value for money without buying an expensive pillow. The value of a cheap pillow depends on many things, like the warranty, trial, and material quality. Even for budget pillows, most brands give out at least a 1-year warranty, although some companies offer a lifetime warranty. Trial periods vary from 30 to 100 nights, depending on the brand.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best cheap pillow?
The best cheap pillow is the one that fits your sleeping habits, preferences, and budget. The bedding market offers a range of models to choose from based on your needs. Therefore, all you have to do is determine your budget, desired loft size, materials, and other details we mentioned above to help ensure the pillow works for you.
What is a good price for a pillow?
A good price for a pillow will be something that works within your budget but still gives you a quality product. Pillows can be expensive, depending on the materials used in them and any special design features. Size, loft, cover material, cooling infusions, and other factors also affect the price. You should be able to find good-quality budget pillows under 100 dollars.
What are cheap pillows made of?
Cheap pillows can be made from various materials, but synthetic ones are often the most common Memory foam and down alternative are the most popular options for cheap pillows since all other materials are more expensive.
Olivera is a content writer for Sleep Advisor and is enthusiastic about sleep. She firmly believes in the benefits of daytime naps on top of getting a full 8-hour sleep at night.
She started writing in 2016 and never looked back. What she appreciates the most is her flexible working hours and the ability to work with people worldwide.
In her free time, Olivera enjoys reading Spanish literature, taking pilates classes, and trying out new cocktails with friends.