Want the reputation of a nearly 100-year-old brand while still being able to shop from home in your pajamas? Beautyrest is a part of one of the oldest mattress companies around, Simmons, and they definitely know some things about making a quality bed—after all, they have had decades to perfect it!
The recently updated Beautyrest Black has some unique features, like its BlackICE™ 4.0 system for cooling and T3 Pocketed Coil® Technology. This Beautyrest Black mattress review will take a look at these things as well as what kinds of sleepers will like this mattress, support, and firmness.
Jump ahead for a fast overview, or read on to know all the ins and outs of this mattress.
Excellent Matches For Beautyrest Black
- Stomach and back sleepers – This mattress is on the firm side. This should allow stomach and back sleepers to find a comfortable spine alignment and avoid sinkage in the core – a particular benefit for those looking to curb any pain.
- Fans of a classic feel – The pocketed coil system gives the bed a little bounce, so repositioning should be effortless while still isolating motion.
- Hot sleepers – No more nights waking up in a sweat—using a combination of BlackICE™ 4.0 technology, heat-wicking materials like SilkAIR fiber, and springs, this bed is designed to stay cool all night long.
Possible Beautyrest Black Considerations:
- It is more expensive – The Beautyrest Black is a luxury mattress, which is reflected in the price, and it may be more than you’re looking to pay. Despite the higher price point, the quality of materials and brand reputation assure that this product should be an excellent investment.
- It may be too hard for lighter-weight individuals – Those who weigh under 120 pounds may find the Beautyrest Black to be too firm, even for regular stomach sleepers. The good news is the company offers a generous trial period, so you have plenty of time to test out this bed.
If you want to find more options, check out our top beds for 2021 right here.
Construction: What’s inside Beautyrest Black?
White Glove Delivery comes with every purchase. All you have to do is answer the door, and the delivery team will set up your mattress for you.
The cover is designed to be cool to the touch and features HeiQ V-Block™, a technology used to eliminate harmful bacteria and prolong the life of your Beautyrest mattress. This bed is 13 inches in height.
- Below the cover is a half-inch of plush foam for comfort and pressure relief.
- The next layer is 1 inch of Medium comfort foam for added pressure relief.
- The middle layer uses 1.5 inches of transitional Energy Foam that is firmer than the top layers.
- The transition layer features a half-inch of Beautyrest® Gel Memory Foam. Gel is often infused into memory foam to promote additional coolness throughout the bed.
- The bottom layer is a 9.5 inch T3 Pocketed Coil® system. This is the foundation of the bed and gives it a good amount of bounce and airflow, while the pockets help isolate movement across the surface.
The whole mattress is surrounded by a thick, high-density BeautyEdge® foam layer around the perimeter which helps reinforce the edges.
There are two upgrades available with this model: Cooling and Cooling + Comfort. These add cooling and comfort layers of foam, so the construction of these will differ slightly from the Original.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
The first thing you will feel is the soft, cool-to-the-touch cover. The foam layers underneath the cover are pretty thin, so there should not be much sinkage.
The company has a couple of upgrades available for those that want some extra features. The Cooling upgrade adds a RightTemp™ Memory Foam layer, and the Comfort + Cooling adds both the RightTemp™ and GelTouch® foams. These upgrades should make the beds a bit softer, although still on the firm side, and even more cool for hot sleepers.
Firmness Scale: 7.5/10 (Hard)
After working and running errands all day, the last thing you need to feel when finally lying down to sleep is the pressures of the day on your body. Pressure relief is extra crucial for side sleepers, as your hips and shoulders tend to dig into the surface of the bed.
On the Beautyrest Black, most sleepers should find a decent amount of pressure relief to get the job done through the upper gel foam layer; however, those that need a bit extra comfort should consider adding the Cooling + Comfort upgrade. This adds supplementary foam materials to cushion those pressure points.
With no upgrades, Black is pretty firm and has a quick response and bounce from the coils. This is ideal for those that have trouble adjusting throughout the night. Moving around and changing positions should not be a problem.
Good support helps keep your spine aligned in a neutral position, meaning that backaches should be a thing of the past. Since Black is on the firmer end, it is ideal for back and stomach sleepers, as they won’t sink in too deeply in an unnatural position for hours on end.
This bed also has quite a bit of bounce, a plus for those who love a traditional spring feel. You might expect a bed with a lot of bounce to have a high amount of motion transfer, but surprisingly enough, Black isolates motion well because of the individually pocketed coils.
The company offers a personalization option, where you can extra cooling and comfort measures to your bed. These will cost extra, but it might be worth the price tag when searching for the perfect mattress for you.
Free White Glove Delivery
Don’t worry about dragging in a box and hoisting it onto your bed frame. This product comes with free white glove delivery, meaning that professionals will do all the hard work for you. They will even take your old mattress free of charge.
The bed uses the innovative BlackICE 4.0 system, which uses cool-to-the-touch fabrics and materials to help you sleep cool.
Exceptional Edge Support
Inadequate edge support can be a problem for people who like to sleep near the edge or couples who sleep on smaller-sized mattresses. Beautyrest Black excels at edge support thanks to the thick, high-density polyfoam wrapped around the bed’s perimeter and the coiled system.
Your bed may seem even larger than it is because you should feel just as supported on the edge as you do in the middle.
A firmer surface and T3 Pocketed Coil® Technology make Black one of the bouncier options. This is great for repositioning, getting out of bed, and sex.
Adjustable Base Compatible
Use this bed on any foundation, including adjustable bases. You can find adjustable frames made specifically for the company’s products on its website.
Handcrafted in the USA
- Eco-Friendly Certifications - This product is CertiPUR-US certified. This means that the foams in Beautyrest Black have been rigorously tested by a third party and were found to have safe levels of harmful chemicals.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping - Each mattress comes with complimentary White Glove Delivery in the contiguous U.S.
- Trial - Try out this product risk-free for 100 nights in your home.
- Warranty - Your purchase is covered under the company’s 10-year limited warranty.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin XL||40” x 81” x 13”||$2,249 |
|Full||55” x 76” x 13”||$2,529|
|Queen||61” x 81” x 13”||$2,699|
|King||78” x 81” x 13”||$3,199|
|Cali King||73” x 85” x 13”||$3,199|
The Beautyrest Black is a valuable choice, especially for back and stomach sleepers. The coils and cooling foam in this luxury hybrid make it breathable for hot sleepers.
Many side sleepers may find this bed a bit too firm to cushion and comfort pressure points on the hips and shoulders. The Comfort + Cooling Upgrade might be a great option for side sleepers that like a firmer feel while still relieving pressure.
Most back sleepers should feel well-supported and comfortable on the Beautyrest Black mattress. Many back sleepers like firmer surfaces because they often straighten the spine well. Those that want it a bit softer should consider adding the Comfort + Cooling Upgrade.
Exclusive stomach sleepers should love the firmer, supportive feel that reduces sinkage in the hips for spine alignment, which stomach sleepers tend to struggle with. However, sleepers under 120 pounds may consider the Comfort + Cooling Upgrade for a little more softness.
If you are combination sleeper and like to move around throughout the night, it should be a breeze on this bed because of the high bounce and minimal sinkage. Some might find some discomfort when lying on their side, so those that mainly sleep on their backs or stomachs might like this bed the most.
The firmer feel of this bed should work well for heavier folks. The reinforced perimeter and coil system should discourage any sagging or pits that can form. The Beautyrest Black has excellent support, which heavier sleepers often have a challenge with.
Black may not be suitable for many lighter sleepers, especially those that sleep on their sides. The upper foam layer is very thin and may not provide the pressure relief that lighter people need. Those that prefer an extra firm surface might find Black comfortable, however.
With two upgrade options, you have the chance to personalize your sleeping experience and add some features that other brands don’t offer. If you want a bed from a brand that you can trust that is extra supportive and has an innerspring feel, this just might be the mattress for you.