If you’re interested in making your mattress a bit more hypoallergenic, the Avocado Organic Latex topper can help you. The topper features certified organic latex, wool, and cotton, which could help create a more suitable sleep space for people with allergies.
Organic mattresses can be pricey, so why not add an organic topper instead? It may not be a brand-new bed, but it could make your bed more pleasant to sleep in. This Avocado topper comes in two firmness levels, so you can choose between a firm and plush feel, depending on what you’re trying to achieve.
In this review, we’ll go through all there is about this Avocado topper, reviewing how it feels and performs, as well as how it fits various sleeping positions.
Who Is the Avocado Organic Latex Mattress Topper Best for?
If you’re not sure how to tell if the Avocado mattress topper is the right option for you, there are certain qualities you should consider. This topper comes in two firmness options, so you’ll want to think about your sleeping position and how you want the bed to feel. You might also consider if cooling is a priority, and in the case of the Avocado, its sustainable materials might be a big selling point.
Pros: Who Might Like the Avocado Organic Latex Mattress Topper:
- Eco-friendly shoppers – This mattress topper features natural and organic materials, making it a good option for eco-conscious shoppers.
- Back sleepers – Back sleepers should enjoy both firmness options as the topper is designed to allow only a bit of sinkage, providing maximum support to help keep the body in proper alignment.
- Hot sleepers – The Avocado topper has breathable cotton, thermoregulating wool, and naturally cool latex, all of which help keep the surface comfortable for hot sleepers.
Cons: Who Might Not Like the Avocado Organic Latex Mattress Topper:
- Side sleepers – Although this topper comes in a Plush version, it’s likely too firm for lightweight side sleepers, who usually need a softer surface. The sinkage level may be enough for some people, but most are likely to prefer something softer for pressure relief.
- Stomach sleepers – Most stomach sleepers are likely to find the Avocado topper too soft to keep the hips from sinking in and bottoming out to the mattress underneath.
- Budget shoppers – With all its organic and certified materials, this Avocado topper is on the pricey side, so it may not be ideal for budget mattress topper shoppers.
Sleep Advisor’s Testing Methodology
As we do with mattresses, we test out mattress toppers in various sleep positions. This way, we have the best chance of determining how the topper feels and who it’s best for. On top of that, we assess qualities like temperature regulation, comfort, support, durability, and pressure relief.
What is the Avocado Organic Latex Mattress Topper Made of?
The Avocado mattress cover has a breathable cover made from 100 percent organic cotton. The cotton in this cover is GOTS-certified, so you can be sure you’re sleeping on a safe surface. Plus, it’s breathable, allowing plenty of airflow to help hot sleepers stay cool.
The Avocado organic topper has a unique interior made from a layer of organic wool combined with organic latex rubber foam. The wool is GOTS-certified, while the latex is GOLS-certified. This latex foam is a more sustainable alternative to memory foam, so it’s more suitable for those looking to sleep on an organic surface that is comforting like memory foam but is more eco-friendly.
This mattress topper is 2.75 inches tall, and since most mattress toppers are 2 to 4 inches thick, this one is close to the thinner end of the spectrum. However, the height seems to work thanks to the bouncy feel of the latex that doesn’t allow too much sinkage.
Avocado Organic Latex Mattress Topper Firmness & Feel
This mattress topper is available in two firmness levels, so you can choose between Firm and Plush. The softer version gives a bit more sinkage, providing a gentle hug for pressure relief around the shoulders, hips, and knees. On the other hand, the firmer version keeps your spine straight, helping prevent back pain by keeping the hips from sinking.
We tested the Avocado topper in various sleeping positions, but you should remember that it may feel different depending on your body weight and the mattress you’re pairing it with. This topper comes in two firmnesses, but we only tested the Plush model. As it’s made from latex, the bounce and responsiveness are the first things you’ll notice. This makes the topper easy to move on.
Although it’s plush, the topper doesn’t allow too much sinkage. This means side sleepers, especially lightweight ones, may not get significant pressure relief. There’s some contouring, but it may not be enough for those seeking maximum relief. The firmer version, on the other hand, is even less contouring, so it’s best for back sleepers who need extra support.
Sleeping on the Avocado Organic Latex Mattress Topper
Sleeping on this topper felt comfortable even without too much sinkage and significant pressure relief. The topper has a crisp and fresh cover made from breathable cotton and a responsive feel coming from the latex foam.
As it doesn’t allow too much sinkage, the topper, even the softer model, is a good option to make a soft mattress slightly firmer. Changing positions on the Avocado topper is easy as it’s responsive and bouncy, adapting to your body’s curves as you move from one position to the other.
|Weight||Side Sleepers||Back Sleepers||Stomach Sleepers
|Lightweight Sleepers (-130 lbs)||★☆☆||★★★||★☆☆|
|Average-Weight Sleepers (130-230 lbs)||★★☆||★★☆||☆☆☆|
|Heavyweight Sleepers (+230 lbs)||★★★||★☆☆||☆☆☆|
- Lightweight Sleepers – Lightweight side sleepers may want a softer topper that can provide more pressure relief. Although the Plush Avocado may work for some, most are likely to prefer a softer sleeping surface.
- Average-Weight Sleepers – Average-weight side sleepers should experience more sinkage and, with that, more pressure relief. However, even some people in this group may like a softer topper that contours the curves more.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Heavy sleepers should find this topper comfortable for side sleeping. Some may even like the firmer option that offers a bit more support.
- Lightweight Sleepers – Back sleepers are likely to enjoy the responsive and contouring feel of the Avocado mattress topper. The materials cushion the lower back to prevent back pain without allowing too much sinkage.
- Average-Weight Sleepers – Even most people weighing 130 to 230 pounds shouldn’t sink too deeply, as the topper has enough firmness to keep the body in alignment.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Some heavy back sleepers may find the Plush model comfortable as it allows only a bit of cushioning, but we suggest they try the Firm topper version instead.
- Lightweight Sleepers – Stomach sleepers need maximum support to keep the body aligned. The Avocado topper is only slightly under 3 inches tall and on the softer side, so it may not do such a good job of supporting the body.
- Average-Weight Sleepers – Average-weight stomach sleepers are likely to sink even more, which can throw the spine out of alignment.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Heavy sleepers may do better with an entirely different topper because even the Firm Avocado may not be enough to keep them from feeling the mattress underneath.
Avocado Organic Latex Mattress Topper Sizing Options & Pricing
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 2.75”||$549|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 2.75”||$549|
|Full||54” x 75” x 2.75”||$599|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 2.75”||$649|
|King||76” x 80” x 2.75”||$909|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 2.75”||$909|
Sleep Advisor’s Performance Ratings for the Avocado Organic Latex Mattress Topper
Avocado excels when it comes to temperature regulation as it’s made from latex and natural wool. Latex is naturally cooling, so the topper is unlikely to overheat. In addition, wool helps with temperature regulation, keeping you warm in the winter and cool in the summer. The cotton cover is breathable, which enhances cooling even more by preventing the heat from staying trapped inside the topper.
Latex is excellent for support, so you can expect to remain lifted on this topper. The construction keeps the body aligned by supporting all the heaviest parts, preventing the hips, knees, and shoulders from sinking too deeply. Although it’s only 2.75 inches, the topper does a good job of supporting sleepers in various positions, though the Firm version will likely be better for stomach sleepers.
This topper has good durability and feels like it would last for years, even with regular use. However, it’s best to rotate it from time to time, and you can even flip it occasionally to ensure even wear and tear.
The Avocado topper is comfortable in various sleeping positions and should be good for combination sleepers thanks to its responsiveness. The topper has a breathable cover and multiple temperature-regulating materials that prevent it from overheating, so it should remain comfortable even during the hottest summer nights.
This topper fits standard mattress dimensions and comes in various sizes, from Twin to Cali-King. It’s easy to set up and remove since it’s not too heavy for one person to handle alone. In addition, the bottom is made from an organic cotton canvas that prevents the topper from sliding off your mattress.
Since it’s made from natural and organic materials, this topper doesn’t have any off-gassing odors. This makes it a perfect solution for people sensitive to odors and those who don’t want to wait for their topper to air out before using it.
This eco-friendly mattress topper comes with multiple certifications, which is why we gave it the highest rating. The topper has a certified organic cotton cover, certified wool, and certified latex. In addition, it’s also MADE SAFE® certified, meaning it has natural materials that don’t harm the environment or humans.
Cleaning & Care
This mattress topper isn’t washable. The cover is non-removable, which means you can only spot-clean it. Make sure to use warm water only. In addition, you should never wash the latex core.
Sleep Trial & Warranty
Avocado comes with a 365-night trial and a warranty that lasts for 10 years.
Avocado Organic Latex Mattress Topper Frequently Asked Questions
Is latex safe for a mattress topper?
Yes, latex safe is for a mattress topper, and it’s commonly used in mattresses as well. This eco-friendly foam is an excellent choice for those who want pressure relief similar to that of memory foam but without artificial materials and ingredients.
Is latex safer than memory foam?
Both latex and memory foam are considered safe, but latex, when it’s natural or organic, is the more healthy and more eco-friendly material since it’s not synthetically made. Latex also lacks the off-gassing that comes with memory foam, which is when the chemicals in the foam are released into the air, causing an initial smell that usually goes away within a few days. As such, latex is a safer choice for those who are sensitive to off-gassing odors. In addition, latex is often paired with other organic materials.
Is latex good for side sleepers?
Latex mattress topper can be a good choice for all sleeping positions depending on its firmness and density. This depends on the product you’re looking at. Generally speaking, latex can be good for side sleepers, but only if it’s not too firm to contour the curves and relieve pressure.
How Does the Avocado Organic Latex Mattress Topper Compare to Other Mattress Toppers?
Avocado Organic Latex Mattress Topper vs. Gel Swirl Memory Foam Topper
Mattress Topper Gel Swirl Memory Foam Topper
A budget mattress topper with cooling gel for hot sleepers.
Who Should Get the Avocado Organic Latex Mattress Topper?
- Hot sleepers
- Back sleepers
- People with allergies
Who Should Get the Gel Swirl Memory Foam Topper?
- Memory foam fans
- Side sleepers
- Lightweight sleepers
For more on the Gel Swirl topper, visit our Gel Swirl Memory Foam topper review.
Avocado Organic Latex Mattress Topper vs. Saatva Latex Topper
Who Should Get the Avocado Organic Latex Mattress Topper?
- Eco-conscious shoppers
- Average-weight side sleepers
- Combination sleepers
Who Should Get the Saatva Latex Topper?
- Those after a taller topper
- Extremely hot sleepers
- Those who want a longer trial
For more on Saatva's topper, visit our Saatva Latex mattress topper review
Our Final Thoughts on the Avocado Organic Latex Mattress Topper
The Avocado Organic Latex topper is worth the attention as it’s made from organic materials. The topper is a good choice for people with allergies unless they’re allergic to latex. In addition, you get two firmness options to pick from depending on your preferred sleeping positions and body type.
Although it’s on the pricey side, the topper provides just the right combination of pressure relief and support. You won’t get too much sinkage, though, so you may want to look elsewhere if you’re after a deep hug and maximum relief. Latex is also very durable, so this product should last you a while.
The company offers a 365-night trial, and while it’s not the longest trial out there, shoppers have enough time to test how the topper fits their needs. Our overall score for this product is 4.5 out of 5.