Is your bed starting to show signs of wear and tear? Perhaps you thought you wanted a firm mattress but now realize that you actually prefer something a little softer. If either of these is the case, investing in a mattress topper such as Brooklyn Bedding’s Gel Swirl Memory Foam mattress topper is an inexpensive way to either breathe new life into your existing mattress or change the feel of your bed.
In this review, we will give you the ins and outs of this mattress topper, including who is likely to love it, as well as those who may be better off looking elsewhere. Additionally, to better inform your decision-making process, we will let you know about the construction and how the materials respond to different body weights and preferred sleep positions, how durable it is, as well as features such as temperature regulation, supportiveness, and overall comfort.
Brooklyn Bedding Gel Swirl Mattress Topper
Who Is the Gel Swirl Memory Foam Mattress Topper Best for?
Pros: Who Might Like the Gel Swirl Memory Foam Mattress Topper:
- Budget shoppers – The Gel Swirl Memory Foam topper is a budget-friendly way to change the feel of your mattress and add years to its life.
- Pressure relief seekers – Sleepers looking for an added layer of pressure relief should enjoy the comfort that this memory foam topper brings to their shoulders and hips.
- Fans of memory foam who also sleep hot – Hot sleepers and memory foam don’t always go hand-in-hand because of the material’s tendency to trap heat. However, thanks to the cooling gel infusion, this topper does a great job of keeping the temperature down.
Cons: Who Might Not Like the Gel Swirl Memory Foam Mattress Topper:
- Those looking for a secure topper – This mattress topper sits directly on top of the mattress, and it does not have any means to attach to a bed.
- People who want a topper that is easy to clean – This topper does not have any kind of cover and the material that is made from is not particularly easy to spot clean. Therefore, it is advisable to place a mattress protector and fitted sheet over this topper before use.
- Combination sleepers – Those who change positions throughout the night may find that this mattress topper can shift because of its lack of a strap or skirt to secure it to the bed.
Sleep Advisor’s Testing Methodology
Much like mattresses, the type of mattress topper that works best is a highly individualized decision. However, all mattress toppers are evaluated, tested, and analyzed to provide a comprehensive review. In addition to noting the materials and other preference-based features like cooling or pressure relief, we also look at how the topper performs in different sleep positions.
What is the Gel Swirl Memory Foam Mattress Topper Made of?
There is no cover on the Gel Swirl Memory Foam mattress topper. To help keep this topper clean, you may want to cover it with a mattress protector.
The comfort layer of this topper is made with memory foam. However, unlike traditional memory foam, which tends to get hot, the memory foam used for this topper is infused with gel to help keep sleepers cool.
This mattress topper is offered in two heights that will add either 2 or 3 inches to the profile of your bed.
Gel Swirl Memory Foam Mattress Topper Firmness & Feel
The firmness of a mattress topper indicates how soft or hard it will make your bed feel when sleeping on it. Although firmness is subjective, we consider this to be a medium-firm topper. Therefore, if you sleep on a plush mattress this topper will make it feel more firm, but if you sleep on a firm mattress, this topper could bring some soft pressure relief.
This mattress topper has a soft and slow-moving feel to it. Therefore, when you lie down on it, you are likely to notice a gentle sink into the topper.
The memory foam provides ample pressure relief around the shoulders and the hips. Furthermore, back sleepers should appreciate how the material contours to their lower back. The infused gel gives this topper a cooler feel when you are sleeping on it, but because it can be slow-moving and there is a tendency to sink into it, some may find that they feel a little stuck.
Sleeping on the Gel Swirl Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Memory foam typically does a great job at isolating motion caused by a restless sleeping partner, so we like that this topper could also some great motion isolation for couples to prevent them from disturbing each when they move.
We felt that the contouring memory foam used in the Gel Swirl topper provided excellent pressure relief, which can make it a good choice for many side and back sleepers.
- Lightweight Sleepers – This topper should provide excellent pressure relief for lightweight side sleepers because of the medium-firmness and gentle contouring.
- Average-Weight Sleepers – The gel memory foam should provide average-weight side sleepers with great pressure relief around their hips and shoulders.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Given its medium-firmness, the Gel Swirl Memory Foam topper should provide decent pressure relief for some heavyweight side sleepers. However, many of these folks are likely to push through the 2 or 3-inch models.
- Lightweight Sleepers – Lightweight people who prefer to sleep on their backs should find that this topper provides them with fantastic contouring and pressure relief.
- Average-Weight Sleepers – Those of average weight should find that this topper is a great fit for them because it can contour the lower back to alleviate pressure in that area.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – The 3-inch option of this mattress topper should be a great fit for many heavyweight back sleepers because it should offer pressure relief and gentle contouring around their lower back. However, those who are 300 pounds or more pounds may find that they push through this topper too quickly.
- Lightweight Sleepers – The firmness of this topper should provide lightweight stomach sleepers with ample support around their hips. This should keep their midsection elevated so their lower back doesn’t arch.
- Average-Weight Sleepers – Average-weight sleepers will likely find that this mattress topper is too soft to support their hips. If a stomach sleeper’s hips sag, this can lead to hip and back pain.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Even the taller option of this topper will probably not be thick enough to keep heavyweight stomach sleepers from pushing through it. This could cause their hips to sag, which can lead to poor spinal alignment and pain.
Brooklyn Bedding Gel Swirl Mattress Topper
Gel Swirl Memory Foam Mattress Topper Sizing Options & Pricing
Although this is a memory foam topper, which is often considered a hotter material, this topper is infused with gel that does a great job of keeping it cool. This should help dissipate heat and regulate body temperature. Therefore, if you are a memory foam fan but have shied away from it because you feared it would make you hot, the Gel Swirl Memory Foam topper may be a great fit for you.
The simple, block-like structure of this topper provides a base of sturdy support. It is likely to provide gentle contouring around the lower back for back sleepers and pressure relief for those who prefer to sleep on their sides. However, we think this is probably only supportive enough for lightweight stomach sleepers below 130 pounds.
This mattress is made with quality materials, but it has a rather simple design. Additionally, it doesn’t have a cover or straps to keep it in place. Therefore, to potentially add more life to it, a mattress protector may be advisable. This mattress topper is likely not going to be as durable as others on the market, but it should be noted that this topper is considerably less expensive.
Made with slow-moving, gel-infused memory foam, this topper offers gentle contouring and excellent pressure relief. Many sleepers are likely to find the materials and firmness of this topper provide them with nighttime comfort. Additionally, the gel-infused memory foam will help them stay cool and comfortable.
The Gel Swirl topper goes on top of your mattress, but it doesn’t have straps or a skirt to secure it to the bed. This could cause the topper to slip and slide during the night. However, this could be remedied by placing a mattress protector, skirt, or fitted sheet on it.
This topper will arrive compressed and rolled in a box. It may take up to 48 hours for it to fully inflate. After unrolling it, you may notice a slight chemical smell. This is known as off-gassing, and although the smell may be unpleasant, it isn’t harmful.
Although the Gel Swirl topper is not made with hypoallergenic materials, it is CertiPUR-US® certified. This means that it’s free of harmful chemicals. If you are concerned with allergy symptoms arising when sleeping on this mattress, you can cover it with a hypoallergenic mattress protector.
Cleaning & Care
Given that there is no cover on this and spot cleaning should only be done when necessary using a gentle cleaning solution, this can be a difficult topper to clean. It may be a good idea to place a mattress protector over this topper to help keep it clean.
Sleep Trial & Warranty
Consumers will have 30 nights to sleep on this mattress. If you keep the Gel Swirl topper, it comes with a 3-year warranty.
Brooklyn Bedding Gel Swirl Memory Foam Mattress Topper Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take for a gel memory foam mattress topper to expand?
Most memory foam mattress toppers will be compressed, rolled up, and shipped in a box. Although it will mostly expand in 4-6 hours, it could take up to 48 hours to reach its full size. It is generally advisable to wait 24 hours before sleeping on it.
How does the Brooklyn Bedding Gel Swirl Memory Foam mattress topper ship?
The Brooklyn Bedding Gel Swirl Memory Foam mattress topper is compressed, rolled up, and shipped in a box. Shipping is free within the contiguous United States. These toppers can be shipped to Alaska, Hawaii, and Canada for an additional fee.
How often should you replace gel memory foam mattress toppers?
The frequency of replacing a gel memory foam mattress will depend on several factors, including how often it is slept on and how well it’s taken care of. However, mattress toppers typically last around 3-5 years. After this time, they may begin to lose their shape and support.
How Does the Gel Swirl Memory Foam Mattress Topper Compare to Other Mattress Toppers?
Gel Swirl Memory Foam Mattress Topper vs Saatva Graphite Memory Foam Topper
Who Should Get the Gel Swirl Memory Foam Mattress Topper?
- Budget shoppers who want a gel memory foam topper
- People who need good pressure relief
- Shoppers looking for an inexpensive way to extend the life of their mattress
Who Should Get the Saatva Graphite Memory Foam Topper?
- Hot sleepers
- People who want a mattress topper that stays secured to the bed
- Those looking for a more luxurious mattress topper
For more on Saatva’s topper, visit our Saatva Graphite mattress topper review.
Gel Swirl Memory Foam Mattress Topper vs Casper Comfy Mattress Topper”
Who Should Get the Gel Swirl Memory Foam Mattress Topper?
- Budget shoppers
- Back and side sleepers
- Shoppers who want several thickness options
Who Should Get the Casper Comfy Mattress Topper?
- Shoppers who are looking for a durable mattress topper that will last a while
- Heavyweight people who prefer to sleep on their back or sides
- Hot sleepers
For more on Casper’s topper, visit our Casper Comfy mattress topper review.
Our Final Thoughts on the Gel Swirl Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Brooklyn Bedding’s Gel Swirl Memory Foam mattress topper is a comfortable and inexpensive way to add life to your mattress or adjust how it feels for better comfort. This topper, offered in two different thicknesses, provides excellent pressure relief for back and side sleepers.
Additionally, for people who like memory foam but are wary of it because of its reputation for trapping heat, this topper is infused with gel, which helps dissipate heat. This topper could also be great for those on a tight budget since it comes at a competitive price point.
However, if you’re looking for a mattress that stays secured to the bed or is easy to clean, we think you should consider a different topper. Our overall score for this product is 2.7 out of 5.
Sosha Lewis is a staff writer for Sleep Advisor. Lewis is happy that she is able to combine her love of sleep with her love of writing.