Tempur-Pedic is a trailblazer in the mattress industry, with the company manufacturing the first memory foam mattress – made with NASA technology – in 1992. The company’s mattresses are known for their slow-moving memory foam and great pressure relief.
Made from durable, high-quality materials, Tempur-Pedic mattresses don’t come cheap, but the TEMPUR-Cloud® is the brand’s most affordable offering, making it a good option for memory foam lovers on a smaller budget. This bed is available as an all-foam or a hybrid model (for an extra 140 dollars), but we’ll be focusing on the all-foam model for this review. Could this bed be the right fit for you?
Who We Recommend The TEMPUR-Cloud® For:
- Back and side sleepers – We experienced incredible pressure relief while sleeping on our back and sides, making it great for people with achy joints. With that being said, heavyweight sleepers may find they need a firmer mattress to ensure optimal support.
- Memory foam lovers – This bed offers the deep hug and body contouring that memory foam is known for, providing fantastic pressure relief and motion isolation.
- Luxury shoppers – While this is Tempur-Pedic’s cheapest mattress, it’s still more expensive than some other all-foam models, due to the premium materials and high-quality workmanship. However, it’s designed to be durable, so it should be a good investment.
Who We Don’t Recommend The TEMPUR-Cloud® For:
- Stomach sleepers – While lighter stomach sleepers may feel supported on this medium-firm bed, we think those weighing above 130 pounds will likely prefer a firmer mattress to prevent uncomfortable sagging in the hip area.
- Innerspring lovers – The all-foam version of the TEMPUR-Cloud® lacks the responsiveness that coils provide. Those who prefer a bit of bounce might prefer the hybrid version of the bed or a traditional innerspring mattress.
- Hot sleepers – Memory foam is known for trapping heat, and unfortunately, that’s the case with this bed. If you have a habit of overheating, you’d be better off checking out a cooling mattress.
First Impressions: Firmness & Feel
Firmness Scale: 6.5/10
Please remember that firmness is a subjective characteristic and your shape will dictate how you experience a bed. A heavier person whose weight can more easily push through softer comfort and support layers may experience a bed as softer than a lightweight person. The way you are shaped could also play a role here. Consider your weight, shape, and size when evaluating firmness scores.
Firmness is an important factor when choosing a mattress, and we rate mattresses on a scale between 1 and 10, where 1 is super soft and 10 is incredibly firm. The TEMPUR-Cloud® all-foam version comes in at 6.5 out of 10, making it the industry standard for medium-firm.
How Does The TEMPUR-Cloud® Feel?
Lie down on the mattress and you’ll feel that the TEMPUR-Cloud®’s cover is soft to the touch. This takes you through to the body-hugging Tempur® foam below, which is incredibly slow-moving. Once you get out of bed, you’ll notice the foam takes a few moments to re-expand.
This mattress will probably take a few weeks – even months – to break in, as it contains high-density memory foam, so don’t worry if it feels too firm at first.
What We Like About the TEMPUR-Cloud®
- Pressure relief – Tempur-Pedic beds are known for their incredible pressure relief, and the TEMPUR-Cloud® doesn’t disappoint.
- Motion isolation – The slow-moving memory foam offers fantastic motion isolation, so you shouldn’t feel movement from one side of the bed to the other.
- Edge support – Despite being an all-foam mattress, the TEMPUR-Cloud® has great edge support, thanks to its high-density foam.
Our TEMPUR-Cloud® Complaints
- Lack of bounce – This mattress’ slow-moving memory foam is fantastic at body contouring, but the trade-off is that it’s not responsive. This could be an issue for those with limited mobility, combination sleepers, or sexually-active couples.
Explore our top picks for the best mattresses for sex.
- Shorter trial period – Tempur-Pedic offers a 90-day trial, which is shorter than many of its competitors. Considering the mattress takes a while to soften up, we think this trial period is a little short.
- Too hot – Memory foam mattresses are notorious for trapping heat, and this mattress features zero cooling technology aside from a breathable cover. This may mean it sleeps too hot for some people.
Testing the TEMPUR-Cloud® Mattress: How it Performed
Buying a new mattress is a big deal, so we rigorously test all our mattresses to help you make the right decision. Important qualities like firmness, pressure relief, support, motion isolation, cooling, and edge support are all taken into consideration. We also test the mattress for back, side, and stomach sleeping.
Sleeping Positions for Different Body Types
Tempur-Pedic says there’s no official weight limit for their mattresses, though our tests found that the TEMPUR-Cloud® may not be suitable for many heavier sleepers. This is due to the soft comfort foam, which might not provide enough support for sleepers in heavier weight categories.
|Weight||Side Sleepers||Back Sleepers||Stomach Sleepers
|Lightweight Sleepers (-130 lbs)||★★★||★★★||★☆☆|
|Average-Weight Sleepers (130-230 lbs)||★★★||★★★||★☆☆|
|Heavyweight Sleepers (+230 lbs)||★★☆||★★☆||☆☆☆|
- Lightweight Sleepers – While this mattress may initially feel too firm, after a few weeks, side sleepers weighing up to 130 pounds should feel a great level of pressure relief and support.
- Average Weight Sleepers – Average-weight side sleepers should enjoy a great balance of comfort and support from this bed, experiencing pressure relief where they need it most.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – We think heavy sleepers weighing up to 300 pounds could feel good pressure relief from the TEMPUR-Cloud®, but if you’re heavier than this, you’ll likely sink too far, causing discomfort.
Check out our top picks for the best mattresses for side sleepers.
- Lightweight Sleepers – Lighter back sleepers could really appreciate this mattress, and they should experience a fantastic balance of cushioning and support (after the initial break-in period).
- Average Weight Sleepers – Back sleepers weighing between 130 to 230 pounds should feel a good amount of support in the lumbar area on the TEMPUR-Cloud®, while still feeling comfortably cushioned.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Heavyweight back sleepers weighing up to 300 pounds should experience a healthy amount of support in the lower back. However, sleepers over 300 pounds may prefer the hybrid version, which offers more support from the coils.
Explore the best mattresses for back sleepers.
- Lightweight Sleepers – Exceptionally light stomach sleepers may feel enough lumbar support, but those weighing closer to 130 pounds might need a firmer mattress to keep those hips elevated.
- Average Weight Sleepers – We don’t think most average-weight stomach sleepers will get the support they need from this mattress, which may cause sinking in the hip area, causing unhealthy alignment of the spine.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – We don’t recommend the TEMPUR-Cloud® for heavyweight front sleepers, who will probably feel their hips sinking. A firmer mattress would be a better option.
See our picks for the best mattresses for stomach sleepers.
Pressure Relief & Pain
As expected from Tempur® foam, this mattress offers excellent pressure relief and cushioning, gently conforming to the body’s curves and offering the deep hug that Tempur-Pedic beds are known for. This material is designed for sinkage, which provides a high level of pressure relief, with the more dense support layer helping to balance this out by keeping the body supported. Having said this, the mattress may be too soft for most stomach sleepers, who could experience a lot of sinkage in the hip area.
Back Pain – As expected from Tempur® foam, this mattress offers excellent pressure relief and cushioning, gently conforming to the body’s curves and offering the deep hug that Tempur-Pedic beds are known for. This material is designed for sinkage, which provides a high level of pressure relief, with the more dense support layer helping to balance this out by keeping the body supported. Having said this, the mattress may be too soft for most stomach sleepers, who could experience a lot of sinkage in the hip area.
Hip Pain – We experienced a small amount of pressure on our hips when side-sleeping on this mattress, but we’d expect this to reduce as the mattress softens over time, eventually offering great pressure relief in this area.
Shoulder Pain – There was a little pressure on the shoulders when sleeping on our sides, but again, this should reduce over time once the mattress has softened, giving you that deep hug that memory foam is famous for.
Light to average-weight side and back sleepers should feel well-supported on this mattress, and heavyweight people weighing up to 300 pounds may be fine too. Any heavier, however, and there may be too much sinkage, causing aches and pains. If you fall into this category, consider exploring our picks for the best mattresses for heavy sleepers.
While the TEMPUR-Cloud® could provide enough support for lighter stomach sleepers, there’s a chance you’ll feel your hips sinking through the comfort layer to an unhealthy level, which could cause lower back pain. In this case, a firmer mattress would be advised.
We found the high-density foams in this mattress offered good edge support.
If you share a bed with a restless partner or pet, the last thing you want is to be disturbed by their movements in the night. A mattress with good motion isolation prevents or reduces movement from one side of the bed to the other, and the TEMPUR-Cloud® excels at this. When testing, we couldn’t feel any movement from the other side of the bed.
Temperature Regulation / Cooling
Memory foam is good at many things, but unfortunately, one of them is trapping heat. If you’re always feeling cold or sleep in a cooler climate, this probably won’t be an issue for you. However those who find themselves sweating in their sleep will likely overheat on this mattress. We found the TEMPUR-Cloud® held a considerable amount of heat, so it isn't great for regulating body temperature. Hot sleepers would be better off looking for a cooling mattress.
Performance for Couples
When shopping for a new mattress, couples often have different needs than individual shoppers. The medium firmness of the TEMPUR-Cloud® could be a great compromise for couples due to its versatility. However, if one or both of you is a strict stomach sleeper or weighs over 300 pounds, this may not be the best choice.
People who overheat when sharing a bed may find this mattress too warm, as the foams tend to trap a lot of heat, so this should be considered. Couples who like an element of bounce during intimacy may struggle with the slow-moving foam, which doesn’t make it easy to change positions. However, this type of foam offers fantastic motion isolation, so you shouldn’t be disturbed by a partner who moves a lot in the night.
This bed offers surprisingly good edge support considering it’s an all-foam bed, which is down to its high-density foams. This is ideal for couples who need to use the whole surface area of the bed and don’t want to feel like the edges are sagging under their weight.
Exceptional Motion Isolation
Thanks to its slow-moving foam, this bed offers incredible motion isolation, so you shouldn’t feel disturbed when your partner or pet is moving around in the night.
Good Edge Support
Edge support is something to consider if you have limited mobility and need a little help getting in and out of bed or if you share your bed and like to make full use of the mattress. We found the TEMPUR-Cloud® to have good edge support and felt supported when lying near the perimeter or sitting on the edge of the mattress.
Giving Back to the Community
In the last 10 years, Tempur-Pedic has donated over 100 million dollar’s worth of mattresses to military personnel, first responders, and disaster relief efforts. In 2022, the company also reached its goal of zero-landfill waste for its U.S. and European manufacturing facilities, and they are aiming for their entire global operations to be carbon neutral by 2040.
Adjustable Base Compatible
The TEMPUR-Cloud® is suitable for use on adjustable bases.
Made in the USA
This mattress is designed and built in the USA.
Construction: What’s Inside the TEMPUR-Cloud®?
The 10-inch TEMPUR-Cloud® all-foam model starts with a 360° stretch cover that’s designed to be moisture-wicking and breathable.
- Next up is the comfort layer, made with slow-moving Tempur® material, which is the original memory foam. Invented by NASA in the 1970s, this material was designed to cushion astronauts on lift-off and was then developed by scientists to be used in mattresses. In fact, only Tempur-Pedic mattresses contain the original Tempur® material. This layer is designed to be soft and cushioning.
- The support layer features a firmer unit of Tempur® foam, which also acts as the transition layer. This foam offers body contouring and pressure relief and is even slower moving than the comfort layer.
- The base layer is made from firm foam that provides durability and support for the rest of the mattress.
Tempur-Pedic also sells a hybrid version of this mattress, which sandwiches over 1,000 spring coils in between the base and support layers. The hybrid might be more suitable for those who sleep hot, as coils promote airflow and breathability, and we found the all-foam TEMPUR-Cloud® trapped a lot of heat.
People requiring a little more responsiveness from their mattress might also prefer the hybrid version, as springs offer more bounce than pure foam. Sexually active couples, combination sleepers, and people with reduced mobility could be great candidates for the hybrid.
Unboxing & Off-Gassing
The TEMPUR-Cloud® arrives in a sturdy, reusable canvas bag that measures 15 inches by 43 inches, weighing between 39.3 to 84.9 pounds, depending on bed size. Simply remove the mattress from the bag, unroll it onto your bed frame, and the bed will expand to full size within minutes.
However, as with any bed-in-a-box model, you’ll experience an unpleasant off-gassing smell, which is the result of chemical by-products escaping after being trapped. This is harmless and should dissipate within 48 hours if left in a ventilated room.
- Eco-Friendly Certifications – The foams in this bed are CertiPUR-US® certified. CertiPUR-US® is a third-party program that ensures the foams meet rigorous health and safety standards. This means they don’t contain harmful substances like ozone depleters, PBDEs, heavy metals, formaldehyde, and phthalates. They should also have low volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping – This mattress will be shipped for free.
- White-Glove Delivery – White glove delivery is not offered with the TEMPUR-Cloud®, as it’s designed for easy setup.
- Trial – You have 90 nights to decide whether the TEMPUR-Cloud® is the right bed for you.
- Warranty – This mattress comes with a 10-year limited warranty.
- Return Policy – If you decide you don’t like the TEMPUR-Cloud® after trying it for at least 30 nights, you can return it for a full refund within the 90-night trial.
Sizes & Prices
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 74” x 10”||$1,699|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 10”||$1,699|
|Full||53” x 74” x 10”||$1,899|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 10”||$1,999|
|King||76” x 80” x 10”||$2,399|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 10”||$2,399|
|Split King||76” x 80” x 10”||$3,398|
Is the TEMPUR-Cloud® hot?
Yes, TEMPUR-Cloud® sleeps quite hot due to its high-density foams, which can trap a lot of warmth. However, this may not be an issue for you if you live in a cooler climate or generally don’t overheat at night.
How soft is the TEMPUR-Cloud®?
We rated TEMPUR-Cloud® at a 6.5 out of 10 for firmness, making it the industry standard for medium-firm. However, remember that firmness is felt differently by different body types. Plus, the mattress may feel firmer at first, as the foams take some time to soften up.
Is the TEMPUR-Cloud® good for back pain?
We found the TEMPUR-Cloud® to be a great choice for back sleepers, who should feel a great balance of comfort and support, which aids healthy spine alignment and helps to reduce lower back pain.
Is Tempur-Pedic worth the money?
Tempur-Pedic is renowned for their high-quality, durable mattresses, so if you can afford the initial investment, you should be sleeping soundly on this mattress for years to come. Additionally, the TEMPUR-Cloud® is the company’s cheapest bed, making it a more affordable option for shoppers on a smaller budget.
How long does a TEMPUR-Cloud® mattress last?
We estimate this mattress should last around 8-10 years, thanks to its high-density, durable foams and premium materials. You also get a 10-year warranty with the product.
TEMPUR-Cloud® vs Other Brands
TEMPUR-Cloud® vs WinkBed GravityLux
- Pressure relief
- 10-year warranty
- Multiple firmness options
- Gel-infused foam
- 120-night trial
Who We Recommend the TEMPUR-Cloud® For
- Luxury shoppers
- Side sleepers
- Fans of slow-moving memory foam
Who We Recommend the WinkBed GravityLux For
- Combination sleepers
- Hot sleepers
- Shoppers on a smaller budget
TEMPUR-Cloud® vs Bear Original
- Deep hug
- 10-inch profile
- 90-night trial period
- Cooling memory foam
- Responsive foam layer
Who We Recommend the TEMPUR-Cloud® For
- People with back pain
- Traditional memory foam lovers
- Shoppers who want to buy from a well-established brand
Who We Recommend the Bear Original For
- Athletes and those with active lifestyles
- Stomach sleepers
TEMPUR-Cloud® vs Other Tempur-Pedic Models
TEMPUR-Cloud® vs TEMPUR-breeze®
- Edge support
- Deep pressure relief
- Durable construction
- White glove delivery
- Up to 8° cooler
- Multiple firmness levels
Who We Recommend the TEMPUR-Cloud® For
- Those looking for a more affordable Tempur-Pedic mattress
- People who want a mattress with easy setup
- Back sleepers
Who We Recommend the TEMPUR-LUXEbreeze® For
- Hot sleepers
- Shoppers with a larger budget
- People who prefer a taller mattress
TEMPUR-Cloud® vs TEMPUR-Adapt®
- 10-inch profile
- Soft, breathable cover
- Also available as hybrid
- 20% more Tempur® material
- Choice of firmness
- Washable cover
Who We Recommend the TEMPUR-Cloud® For
- Side and back sleepers
- Budget shoppers
- Couples who need good motion isolation
Who We Recommend the TEMPUR-ProAdapt® For
- People with achy joints
- People seeking advanced pressure relief
- Back sleepers
The TEMPUR-Cloud® is a premium, all-foam mattress that utilizes NASA technology to offer an incredibly comfortable sleeping experience.
Most side sleepers should sleep well on this mattress, thanks to the deep sinkage of the Tempur® foam, which should cradle their body while offering pressure relief and support at the hips and shoulders. However, heavier side sleepers above 300 pounds may prefer a firmer mattress, which would offer more support in those areas.
This mattress should work well for back sleepers weighing up to 300 pounds. We found our hips sinking slowly into the mattress and felt the perfect balance of comfort and support. However, heavyweight people over 300 pounds may wake up with lower back pain, as their hips may sink past the comfort layer.
We wouldn’t recommend this mattress for front sleepers. The TEMPUR-Cloud® has a soft comfort layer, which works well for other sleeping positions but may not provide enough support for stomach sleepers. However, exceptionally lightweight sleepers will experience the mattress as a little firmer than their heavier counterparts, so they may be okay in this posture.
While this mattress is suitable for many side and back sleepers, it probably won’t provide enough support for most stomach sleepers, making it unsuitable for combination sleepers who spend time on their stomachs. It’s also incredibly slow-moving, which makes changing sleeping positions harder than on a more responsive mattress.
With its medium-firmness, good edge support and great motion isolation, this could be a great choice for couples who sleep on their side or back. However, this mattress sleeps quite hot, which may be exacerbated by two people being in the bed. It also may not suit couples where one or both of you weighs in excess of 300 pounds.
Heavier people weighing between 230 to 300 pounds might feel well supported when sleeping on their back or side, with a good balance of cushioning and pressure relief. However, we think heavier stomach sleepers will require a firmer mattress to keep the hips from sinking.
Lightweight sleepers weighing up to 130 pounds could do well on this mattress, especially when sleeping on the side or back. This body weight should experience the body hug that Tempur® is known for, while still feeling properly supported. However, stomach sleepers weighing closer to 130 pounds might find they need a little extra support in the lumbar area.
Average Weight Sleepers
Side and back sleepers weighing between 130 to 230 pounds will likely enjoy a great balance of support and pressure relief, thanks to high-density foam that envelops the body in a deep hug. We think most average-weight stomach sleepers will find their hips sinking too far into the mattress, which could cause spinal misalignment and an achy lower back.
While this bed certainly isn’t cheap, high quality comes at a price, and Tempur-Pedic is famous for its premium mattresses. The TEMPUR-Cloud® is made with durable materials, which should make the mattress a sound investment, lasting for years to come. Its medium-firmness makes it a versatile choice, especially for couples looking to compromise on preferences.
The TEMPUR-Cloud® packs a lot into its 10-inch profile, thanks to high-density Tempur® foams that offer the traditional deep hug of memory foam, as well as a good level of support for many body types and sleeping positions. We think light to average-weight side and back sleepers might really get on with this mattress, as they should experience great body contouring and healthy spine alignment. However, the bed may be lacking sufficient support for stomach sleepers and heavyweight sleepers, who could prefer a firmer mattress.
The TEMPUR-Cloud® is Tempur-Pedic’s most affordable mattress, so if you’re keen to try out the brand, this could be a good starting point.
Lisa is a content writer for Sleep Advisor, which combines two of her greatest passions – writing and sleeping. She can also be found writing about fitness, sustainability and vegan food.
Her life revolves around her two rescue dogs (who she shares her bed with) and if she’s not running around after them, she’s likely doing yoga, buying new plants, or enjoying a sunset rum at the beach.
Writing for Sleep Advisor has made her realise she needs a new mattress, stat.