Are you in the market for an eco-friendly bed, but do not want to break the bank? Can all-natural latex provide the same comfort and support as memory foam?
The Spindle 10” Natural Latex Mattress is the brainchild of a fourth-generation mattress maker with the goal to create a luxury bed at an affordable price. The e-commerce company claims that latex is the mattress makers choice of bedding material. Their goal is to make this a luxury that is affordable for people everywhere.
Our in-depth look at Spindle dives between the layers to show you how their claim holds up. We score it using our system that analyzes the necessities, like pressure relief and support. We also take a hard look into more preference-based options, such as cooling and motion transfer.
The Spindle offers four different firmness options. For this review, we will be looking at their most popular model, the Medium.
Read on for a detailed analysis or click here to skip ahead to our wrap up and scoring.
You will love Spindle if you:
- Want all natural materials – This bed is made with 100% Natural Latex and is cased in eco-wool and cotton. While Spindle does not provide a top to bottom organic certification, the manufacturer does go out of its way to strive for a more eco-friendly production process.
- Want exceptional pressure relief – Like memory foam, latex conforms to the body, diminishing pressure points in both your hips and shoulders. Unlike most memory foams, latex responds quickly to pressure. The Medium setting should alleviate pressure points, regardless of how you rest.
- Want to reposition with ease – This bed has great responsiveness that makes bouncing into a new sleeping position a breeze. Combination sleepers who roll around at night should enjoy the versatility this allows.
You might not like Spindle if you:
- Have higher weight considerations – Spindle does not provide a weight limit, but the company does recommend a thicker product for persons with a BMI of 30 or over. Their website offers the Spindle Comfort Calculator where you can punch in your height, weight, and preferred sleeping position. This can help you determine if this bed is a good fit for you.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
The layers of the Spindle arrive in individual boxes, also containing the cotton-knit cover. Instructions are included and walk you through a step-by-step setup.
Latex tends to weigh a lot, for this reason, the company recommends that you use a slatted platform frame, box foundations (different from box springs), or heavy-duty adjustable frames.
The zip off cover is constructed with a flexible circular-knit cotton and quilted with a 1-inch coat of eco-wool batting. Wool wicks away moisture, regulating the temperature and allowing you to sleep cooler. In the unfortunate event that something were to spill onto or stain this plush cover, the manufacturer recommends that you spot clean the affected area with a damp cloth.
Including the cover, this three-layer mattress stands 10 inches tall. Each layer is made with a 3-inch 100% Natural Latex foam.
Each layer of natural liquid latex comes from the heva brasiliensis rubber tree. The foam is constructed using a “continuous pour” Dunlop process, where the liquid rubber is continuously dispensed over a conveyor belt, creating a balanced and affordable product.
According to Spindle, this process produces a foam with a feel that falls somewhere between the traditional methods used to manufacture latex: the Talalay method and the Dunlop method. This technique creates a more all-natural bed that reduces the number of synthetic materials or fillers and contains no polyurethane foams.
- The top layer is a 3-inch Medium Natural Latex foam. This equips this bed with ample pressure relief, providing a timely bounce for adjusting sleepers. It conforms nicely to your curves while the pinholes help provide extra airflow to keep you cool.
- The second layer is an additional 3-inch Medium Natural Latex foam. This provides supplementary support and provides a similar function as the top layer.
- The bottom layer is a 3-inch Firm Natural Latex foam. This acts as a supportive base, adding necessary backing to keep pressure off your joints.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
When set in the Medium configuration, we scored this mattress at a 6 out of 10 on our firmness scale, with 1 being like a cloud and 10 compared to a rock.
This Medium setting should work well with most body types and sleeping positions.When you order a Medium, the layers can be configured in two ways, which allows for a slightly softer “Cushion & Support” that scores at a 5.5, if you prefer.
Spindle also offers a Soft, Firm, and X Firm setting, which we rated at a 4, 7.5, and 9 respectively.
Those individuals with heavier weight considerations may find that they are better suited for the Firm or X Firm options that Spindle has to offer. These alternatives will provide the necessary additional support that keeps heavier sleepers snoozing all night long.
This quick responding mattress does a lot to conform to your body. The plush cotton and wool quilting serve the latex nicely as these materials work together to support the shoulders, spine, and lumbar areas. This leaves sleepers in a gentle pressure-relieving cradle.
The firm base in this model supports the buoyant top layers making it easy for combination sleepers to adjust. This allows for quick and easy repositioning, keeping you on the surface and not feeling stuck.
Back sleepers should get a kick out of this bed and should feel that their weight is evenly distributed while lying down. They might find that they sink in just a tad and that the mattress fills the space between their hips and their shoulders. This is great for lying on your back as it keeps the spine well aligned.
Side sleepers enjoy how their hips and shoulders sink down into the middle Medium layer, while the Firm base helps to keep their spine aligned. Individuals who sleep on their sides often require a softer mattress to relieve pressure from their hips and shoulders. These pressure areas need to sink deeper into the mattress to keep their spines straight, so a softer bed can provide a cradle that relieves pressure points.
Stomach sleepers should experience great spinal alignment as the dense receptive layers keep their hips elevated and their back from arching downward. This is wonderful news for belly sleepers in need of beds out there.
Firmness is subjective. For this reason, Spindle offers a 365 Day Comfort Adjustment, where you can switch out the layers of your mattress if the original configuration does not suit your needs. You can do this at home with the layers you have or order additional materials from the company.
With the company’s 25-Year Comfort Life Program, sleepers can replace layers of their mattress for a fraction of the original cost. This provides continued satisfaction if what suits you changes after your initial purchase.
Spindle does not provide a weight limit, however, they do suggest that people with a BMI over 30 should look elsewhere for a thicker mattress. Their goal is to put you in the right bed, even if it is not theirs.
Memory foam is king in this category, but latex performs surprisingly well considering its buoyancy. Being exclusively a latex layered mattress it naturally contains a fair amount of bounce. (If you love how this sounds, peruse our top latex picks for even more variety.)
The bounce in this bed should not transfer nearly as much motion as a traditional innerspring mattress. Latex coupled with the plush wool quilting absorbs a great deal of impact, allowing you to rest easy. You should not feel your partner's every move, but you might sense their bigger movements during the night.
Edge support may not be something you consider when taking a snooze, but more defined edges will increase your slumbering surface area.
The sides of the mattress cover are made from a cotton canvas. This feature provides a bit more edge support than other bed-in-a-box brands, which typically do not shine in this category. Sleepers should feel secure while lying on the sides of this bed and need not worry about rolling off, though they may notice a slight compression when sitting on the edge of the mattress.
- Multiple Firmness Options – The layers in this bed can be rotated by users to adjust firmness. Additional layers can also be ordered through Spindle.
- Trial Period – Spindle offers a rare 365 Day Comfort Adjustment. During this time, they help you reconfigure your layers or swap in new ones. If you are still not happy with their product they will refund every single cent of your purchase.
- 25 Year Comfort Life Program – As your firmness preferences change over time, Spindle will provide new layers at a 30% discount from what their pricing is at that time.
- Warranty – The manufacturer maintains a 10-year warranty.
- Shipping – Spindle supports free shipping in the contiguous United States.
- OEKO-TEX® 100 Certified – The latex in this product has been tested at each step in the development process and has surpassed rigorous safety standards that test for potentially harmful chemicals.
- Natural Materials – Manufacturers have taken great steps to construct this mattress from Natural materials. Continuous Dunlop Latex, natural cotton, and eco-wool can be found in this bed.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 74.5” x 10”||$1,799.99|
|Twin XL||38” x 79.5” x 10”||$1,799.99|
|Full||53” x 74.5” x 10”||$2,499.99|
|Queen||60” x 79.5” x 10”||$2,699.99|
|King||76” x 79.5” x 10”||$3,399.99|
Spindle’s 100% Natural Latex Mattress provides excellent pressure relief for combination sleepers seeking a bed with quick response and bounce.
Like Sleep Advisor, Spindle’s end goal is to help you find your best night sleep. Their staff is ready and willing to help you find a mattress that works for you, even if it is not their own. Now, that is great customer service!
Sources & References
- Protein and allergen analysis of latex mattresses. – ncbi.nlm.nih.gov