Sealy and Tempur-Pedic have long been two of the leading mattress companies in the USA. When you’re looking for a mattress brand you can trust, these big names are likely to make an appearance. Today, you can find their mattresses online or at most in-person retailers.
In this mattress comparison, we’re going to compare Serta’s iComfort line with Tempur-Pedic’s popular Tempur-Cloud and Tempur-Adapt mattresses. You’ll see how these brands and their mattresses compare, giving you the knowledge to choose the best mattress for your needs.
Serta iComfort vs Tempur-Pedic Overview
|Value shoppers, all sleep positions, hot sleepers, every body size
|Luxury mattress shoppers, memory foam lovers, couples, lightweight people, side sleepers
|Cooling innovations, multiple firmness options, pressure-relieving upgrades
|Tempur-ES foam, cradling memory foam feel, hybrid or memory foam models
- Memory Foam and Hybrid Models: Both the Serta iComfort and the Tempur-Pedic mattresses fall into one of two categories. The first is the all-foam mattress, and the second the hybrid bed. Both contain generous memory foam layers.
- Pressure-Relieving Foams: These mattresses all contain generous layers of memory foam engineered to melt pressure away from problem areas.
- Sleep Trials: Neither company offers a risk-free trial period. While both accept returns during their sleep trials, they charge a fee for the return.
- Firmness: The Tempur-Cloud and Tempur-Adapt mattresses have a medium firmness. The iComfort mattresses come in various firmnesses that range from very plush to quite firm.
- Cooling: The Serta iComfort mattresses have more cooling innovations than the Tempur-Pedic mattresses. They’re the better mattress for hot sleepers.
- Feel: The Tempur-Pedic mattresses have the classic cradling, slow response memory foam feel. The iComfort beds have a more balanced foam feel, with their firm models not hugging the body as deeply as the Tempur-Pedic beds.
- Support: The Tempur-Cloud and Adapt mattresses are best for people who weigh less than 230 pounds. The iComfort Hybrid is thicker and more supportive, better for people with bigger bodies.
Serta iComfort Mattress vs Tempur-Cloud
Serta iComfort Mattress Review Highlights
- Sleeps Cool: Serta’s engineers worked hard to create one of the coolest memory foam mattresses available. The base model boasts cooling carbon fiber, gel memory foam, and breathable open-cell foam. Then there are optional upgrades for even cooler sleep.
- Multiple Firmness Options: This Serta mattress comes in four models and multiple firmness levels. You can choose between ultra plush, plush, medium, and firm based on your preferred comfort level.
- Excellent Pressure Relief: The iComfort is Serta’s most luxurious memory foam mattress. It’s designed so that generous foam comfort layers melt pressure away from areas like the hips and shoulders.
Tempur-Cloud Mattress Review Highlights
- Cost: The Tempur-Cloud mattress is Tempur-Pedic’s most affordable mattress. It brings luxury memory foam into a price range that more people can afford.
- Universal Feel: This slow-response medium firmness bed works well for side, back, and stomach sleepers. It cushions pressure points while providing excellent support, a balance that works for most people.
- Motion Isolation: The Tempur-Cloud earned a nearly perfect score in our motion transfer evaluation. If you sleep with a partner, child, or pet, good motion dampening properties can help you sleep soundly.
Compare Mattress Construction
The Tempur-Cloud is a ten-inch bed-in-a-box mattress with a distinct Tempur-Pedic memory foam feel. If you’ve ever laid on a Tempur-Pedic mattress, you know that the top layer is conforming, slowly hugging the body to deliver deep pressure relief. The Cloud is no different in this regard. Its top layer has a doughy feel, the middle layer limits sagging, and the bottom high-density foam adds durability.
Serta’s iComfort mattress is also a memory foam bed made from multiple foam layers. However, it was engineered to provide some of the coolest sleep that you can get on an all-foam bed. There are four different models, with the higher-end versions having additional layers of proprietary cooling foams.
While the Tempur-Cloud only comes in a medium firmness, the iComfort is available as an ultra-plush, plush, medium, or firm mattress. The firmer, thicker iComfort mattress can support more bodyweight than the Cloud. The Cloud has a very traditional memory foam hugging feel, while the iComfort’s feel depends on the firmness you choose. The softer the mattress, the more deeply it contours the body.
Due to the all-foam construction of both of these mattresses, you can expect an off-gassing odor when first unboxed. This will fade within a few days. It may also take a few days for your mattress to fully expand.
The pricing of the Serta iComfort varies based upon which model you choose. The thicker, more luxurious mattresses are only available in larger sizes. This is why the smaller Serta iComfort mattresses are less expensive than the Tempur-Cloud, while the larger iComfort mattresses have a wide price range. Only the iComfort comes in California king size.
Serta iComfort Hybrid Mattress vs Tempur-Adapt
Serta iComfort Hybrid Mattress Review Highlights
- Responsive Feel: A thick support layer of pocketed coils provides support and a springy feel. You’ll never feel stuck or have trouble getting comfy on the iComfort Hybrid.
- Astonishingly Cool: Serta pairs layers of cooling foams with innerspring coils that facilitate airflow. Combined and you have one of the coolest hybrid mattresses around.
- Various Firmness Options: The iComfort Hybrid comes in four models and various firmnesses. With plush, medium, and firm versions, this mattress works well for side, stomach, and back sleepers.
- Sturdy Edges: Thanks to Serta’s BestEdge Foam Encasement, this mattress has impressive edge support. Sturdy edges make it so you never feel like you’re going to roll off the edge of the bed.
Tempur-Adapt Mattress Review Highlights
- Tempur-ES Material: Tempur-ES is the pressure-relieving Tempur material that started it all. This is the least expensive Tempur-Pedic mattress with their revolutionary memory foam that cradles the body for excellent pressure relief.
- All-Foam or Hybrid Model: Choose the classic all-foam model for superb motion isolation or the hybrid version for greater support and breathability. The all-foam Adapt has a cuddly foam mattress feel and the hybrid a more responsive, balanced feel.
- The Luxury Memory Foam Mattress: Tempur-Pedic is known for their high-quality mattresses. The Tempur-Adapt is an industry leader in the luxury memory foam mattress space.
- Great for Couples: This mattress comes in split king and split California king sizes so you and your partner can each have your own space. Pair this with one of Tempur-Pedic’s adjustable bed frames for personal customization and back pain relief.
Compare Mattress Construction
The Serta iComfort Hybrid mattress has between two to four foam layers atop an innerspring support system. Each of their foams was engineered with cool sleep in mind, with innovations like gel and carbon infusion, air channels, and more. In each mattress, there are at least two layers of memory foam for the ultimate in pressure relief. The pocketed coil support system brings a bouncy feel and even cooler sleep.
The Tempur-Adapt is Tempur-Pedic’s most popular mattress. The top layer of this bed is the least expensive model with Tempur-ES foam. It’s this conforming memory foam layer that Tempur-Pedic is known for. Both the all-foam and hybrid models share this layer and a supportive memory foam layer in common. The final layer differs. The hybrid model utilizes pocketed coils rather than foam for a cooler, more responsive, and more supportive sleeping experience.
Both the Serta iComfort Hybrid and the Tempur-Adapt come in multiple versions. However, only the iComfort has a plush and firm option. Both the all-foam and hybrid Tempur-Adapt are medium firmness mattresses. This means the iComfort is better for people who like an extra-soft or firm feel.
On average, the iComfort Hybrid is less expensive than the Tempur-Adapt mattress. However, if you go for the most luxurious iComfort model, it will cost $200 more than the Tempur-Adapt for a queen-size mattress.
|SERTA ICOMFORT HYBRID
|Split King and Cali King
Compare Serta iComfort vs Tempur-Pedic Sizes
The Serta iComfort mattresses are either the same height or thicker than the Tempur-Pedic beds. We recommend that plus-size people opt for a thicker mattress for added durability. Another difference that you’ll notice is that only Tempur-Pedic offers split king and Cali king mattresses. These are excellent for couples and use with adjustable bases.
|38” x 74.5”
|38” x 74”
|38” x 79.5”
|38” x 80”
|53” x 74.5”
|53” x 74”
|60” x 79.5”
|60” x 80”
|76” x 79.5”
|76” x 80”
|76” x 80”
|72” x 83.5”
|72” x 84”
|Split Cal King
|72” x 84”
Serta mattresses come with a 120-night sleep trial and 30-day waiting period. If you decide to return your new mattress during your sleep trial, there will be a $200 return shipping fee along with an additional fee equal to 15% of the cost of the mattress.
Tempur-Pedic mattresses come with a 90-day trial with a 30-day waiting period. They charge a $175 fee for returns.
Neither of these sleep trials is as good as the industry-standard 100-night sleep trial with free returns. However, they both allow you to return a mattress if it’s simply not working for you.
Both Serta and Tempur-Pedic mattresses come with a 10-year warranty—the standard in the mattress industry. These warranties cover defects in materials or workmanship, such as indentations along the sleeping surface.
Verdict: Which Is the Best Mattress Brand?
Tempur-Pedic is the best brand for luxury shoppers looking for the traditional memory foam mattress feel. Serta iComfort beds are their luxury memory foam and hybrid mattresses engineered for a cool sleeping experience. Serta mattresses come in more firmness options, better for soft and firm mattress lovers.
As both the Serta iComfort and Tempur-Pedic Cloud and Adapt beds are high-end mattresses, it can be hard to choose between the two. Serta’s mattresses are slightly easier to move around on as they won’t have the deep hugging feel of the Tempur-Pedic mattresses. However, that cradling foam in Tempur-Pedic beds offers unbeatable pressure relief and excellent motion isolation.
Both companies offer sleep trials, but there are fees for returning your mattress. Try to find the mattress that works best for you based on your sleeping position, comfort preferences, and price point.
- TEMPUR-Pedic Mattress Alternatives
- Tempur-Pedic vs Casper Mattress
- Tempur-Pedic vs Emma Mattress
- Tempur-Pedic vs Sleep Number Mattress
Nicole has spent much of her life pursuing health and wellness for herself and those around her. For four years, she has used her education in biology and her passion for a healthy lifestyle to craft educational articles and coach hundreds of people in diet and nutrition.