Amerisleep was founded in 2010 with the goal to design and manufacture high-quality, technology driven, and eco-friendly mattresses. This company was one of the first to dip their toes into the bed-in-a-box waters.
As one of the brand’s most popular offerings, the Amerisleep AS2 offers the quintessential pressure-relieving feel of memory foam but with a twist. Amerisleep’s innovative Bio-Pur® material acts like memory foam minus the heat retention and sinking sensation.
In this in-depth Amerisleep AS2 mattress review, we discuss how it feels, the type of sleepers it’s best suited for, and how it performed in various tests. Keep reading so you can decide if this is the mattress that you’ve been dreaming about.
Who We Recommend the AS2 For:
- Pressure relief seekers – Amerisleep AS2’s use of contouring Bio-Pur® foam provides pressure relief for many sleepers. This may help those who suffer from pain in their hips, shoulders and back wake without pain.
- Those who sleep hot – The open-cell structure of the AS2’s Bio-Pur foam should keep hot sleepers cool. It helps dissipate body heat and promotes free-flowing air that should help keep sleepers from overheating as they snooze.
- People who experience back pain – Foam usually helps alleviate low back pain, but in addition to using thick, supportive foam, this bed has been specifically engineered to promote healthy spinal alignment.
Who We Don’t Recommend the AS2 For:
- Side sleepers – If you sleep primarily on your side, the AS2 may be too firm for a comfortable night’s sleep. The firmness could cause too much pressure buildup and you may want to look at options that offer better pressure relief.
- Bargain shoppers – This mattress is made with technology driven and eco-friendly materials. Although it offers an incredible value considering the features and moderate price point, it’s not the most budget-friendly either. Those on a strict budget may not be able to swing this mattress.
First Impressions: Firmness & Feel
Firmness Scale: 6.5/10 (Medium Firm)
Please remember that firmness is a subjective characteristic and your shape will dictate how you experience a bed. A heavier person whose weight can more easily push through softer comfort and support layers may experience a bed as softer than a lightweight person. The way you are shaped could also play a role here. Consider your weight, shape, and size when evaluating firmness scores.
A mattress’s firmness is one of the most important aspects to consider when you’re shopping for a new one. In case you’re not sure what that means, when it comes to beds, firmness is simply how soft or hard it feels when you lie on top of it.
We ranked the AS2 a 6.5 out of 10 on the mattress firmness scale, which means that this bed will have an overall medium-firm feel, but it will likely still be soft enough for many sleepers to experience comfort and contouring. Keep in mind that your exact experience with this mattress will depend on your body weight and sleeping position.
How Does It Feel?
When you first touch the top of the AS2 mattress, you’ll be met with a soft white cover that will feel cool to the touch. As you lie down, you’ll be met with the soft upper foam layers that should allow you to sink in just a little, but not so much that your hips feel pressure. As you start to settle into those upper foam layers, you should experience lumbar support, which helps keep your spine properly aligned.
What We Like About the AS2
- Cooling cover – The technology forward cooling cover absorbs body heat and converts into infrared energy, according to Amerisleep.
- Motion isolation – Couples and co-sleeper should experience little disturbance from a restless partner or pet when sleeping on the AS2.
- Eco-friendly materials – Instead of traditional petroleum-based memory foam, this mattress uses Bio-Pur® which is made, in part, with renewable plant-based oils.
Our AS2 Complaints
- Limited bounce – The all-foam AS2 doesn’t provide the bounce of a traditional innerspring mattress and this may make it hard for sleepers to reposition easily.
- Too firm for some – Side sleepers and some lightweight folks may find that this mattress is too firm for them to rest comfortably.
- May not work for budget shoppers – Although the quality materials and durability of this mattress are noteworthy, it will be out of some people who are looking for an affordable mattress.
Testing the Amerisleep AS2 Mattress: How it Performed
The AS2 was put through a variety of tests in order to bring you a comprehensive look at it. In addition to noting the firmness, this mattress was tested for motion isolation, cooling, support, and bounce, among others. Since people come in various shapes and sizes and sleep in different positions, it was also evaluated for how it performed for different body types and sleep positions.
Sleeping Positions for Different Body Types
The AS2 can support up to 300 pounds per side for a total of 600 pounds. While this should offer ample support for most sleepers, we recommend heavyweight couples opt for a mattress that’s designed for plus-size sleepers for maximum comfort.
|Weight||Side Sleepers||Back Sleepers||Stomach Sleepers
|Lightweight Sleepers (-130 lbs)||★☆☆||★★★||★★★|
|Average-Weight Sleepers (130-230 lbs)||★★☆||★★★||★★★|
|Heavyweight Sleepers (+230 lbs)||★★☆||★★☆||★☆☆|
- Lightweight Sleepers – If you are lighter and gravitate towards sleeping on your spine, the AS2, in all likelihood, will be too firm for you. This could cause pressure to build up around the joints that are bearing your weight.
- Average Weight Sleepers – Average-weight folks should enjoy this mattress. Side sleepers should get pressure relief for their hips and shoulders while also enjoying healthy spine alignment.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – The AS2’s medium-firm feel should offer a nice balance of support and comfort for this group. However, heavyweight sleepers who weigh closer to 300 pounds may find themselves sinking too deeply into the first few foam layers.
- Lightweight Sleepers – Those who prefer to sleep on their back and on the low end of the scale should feel incredibly supported with the AS2. While it is firm, the layer of foam should provide a soft touch.
- Average Weight Sleepers – Not only will average weight back sleepers likely enjoy excellent spinal alignment with this mattress, the foam upper layer should provide them with great lumbar support.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – While this mattress should provide adequate support and spinal alignment for heavyweight sleepers, some may push through the upper layer of foam which can cause spine misalignment.
- Lightweight Sleepers – The firmness level of this mattress will keep a lightweight stomach sleeper’s hips supported which, in turn, will keep their spines aligned.
- Average Weight Sleepers – Average-weight stomach sleepers will benefit from the medium-firm foam design, which should keep their hips and spine aligned throughout all of their sleep cycles.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – When it comes to heavyweight stomach sleepers, they will probably be served better by a slightly firmer mattress. Although they are likely to receive some support around their hips, it is probably not enough to keep their midsection properly elevated through the night.
Pressure Relief & Pain
Sleeping is supposed to be restorative. However, if you’re snoozing on a mattress that allows a lot of pressure to build up, it is likely that you’re going to wake up with some aches and pains. The AS2 is a medium-firm foam mattress that excels at pressure relief and spine alignment, thanks to its all-foam design which cradles your body in comfort.
Back Pain – This mattress provides balanced support when lying on your back and the foam layers contour nicely to your lower back. These factors should keep you from experiencing back pain when sleeping on this mattress.
Hip Pain – This mattress excels at relieving hip pain by contouring along your signs. However, for lightweight folks, it still may be beneficial to find a softer mattress if you’re concerned about hip pain.
Shoulder Pain – Shoulders tend to push into the mattress a little more than other body parts. Given the firmness of this mattress, you may experience pressure and pain around your shoulders.
The AS2 mattress uses quality materials to offer a lot of support and comfort for many sleepers. Although this mattress is considered medium firm, it also has soft and contouring upper layers for foam that will contour around you and provide extra support to your lumbar region.
The transition layer of this bed is also specifically zoned to add extra support around the head, back and legs. In addition, a 7-inch layer of high-density foam acts as a supportive, sturdy base for the rest of the mattress.
The layers of foam used in this mattress do an excellent job of isolating motion for co-sleepers. This is beneficial for couples or people who co-sleep with children or pets because it means that even if your partner is twisting and turning, you can snooze on because their motion shouldn’t transfer to you.
Temperature Regulation / Cooling
Although foam mattresses have a reputation for being warm, the folks at Amerisleep have paid special attention to this issue and implemented a variety of properties that should keep you cool when sleeping on it. The AS2 utilizes a Refresh Cooling Cover that changes your body heat into infrared energy, as well as using open-cell breathable foam.
Find out more about cooling mattresses here.
Performance for Couples
Couples should enjoy the exceptional motion isolation and overall support, including around the edges. The above-average edge support should allow co-sleepers to spread out across the bed. Although foam isn’t typically as good for bounce and reactivity as traditional innerspring mattresses, the AS2 is fairly responsive and will allow for repositioning without feeling stuck.
Exceptional Edge Support
If you are a fan of foam mattresses, but fear you may roll out of the bed because of their lack of edge support, you will likely enjoy the AS2 as it has exceptional support in this area. Therefore, couples who want to utilize the entire bed or people who just enjoy scooting over as far as possible should appreciate that they will be supported.
The foam in the AS2 uses renewable plant-based oils rather than traditional memory foam which uses petroleum. This minimizes the companies’ reliance on nonrenewable resources and reduces their overall carbon footprint.
Bio-Pur®, the foam that is used in the AS2, is naturally resistant to common allergens such as mildew, mold, and dust mites. This will help those who experience allergies.
Adjustable Base Compatible
Amerisleep offers technology-forward adjustable bed bases for its mattresses, including the AS2. With an adjustable base, you can also enjoy features such as massage, targeted articulation, and three preset settings.
Construction: What’s Inside the AS2?
The AS2 is made with Amerisleep’s proprietary Bio-Pur® foam. This foam has an open-cell design and is more breathable than traditional memory foam, making it better for hot sleepers. Bio-Pur® also contours to your body and returns to its original shape once you get out of bed.
- The Refresh Cooling Cover is made of scientifically-engineered fabric that uses minerals to draw the heat away from your body. As a result, the heat is converted into far infrared energy to help with cooling, muscle recovery, and better sleep. The Refresh Cooling Cover remains seven degrees cooler than traditional polyester covers, helping hot sleepers achieve better sleep.
- The comfort layer of the AS2 is made up of 2-inches of Bio-Pur® foam. This layer will welcome you into the bed and contour around your body.
- Directly below the comfort layer, you’ll find the 3-inch HIVE transition layer. This layer is there to allow you to move from the top comfort layer into the supportive base layer. It has designated zones that are softer around your shoulders, hips for additional pressure relief and more support around your head, back, and legs.
When all of these layers are combined, the AS2 stands 12 inches tall. It has a solid white top and blue sides. Additionally, this mattress is constructed without the use of fiberglass and it is non-toxic, which makes for a safer sleeping environment.
Unboxing & Off-Gassing
Your AS2 will arrive compressed and rolled into a box. The box comes with convenient side handles that make moving it easy. Once you have removed the mattress from the box, place it on the foundation that you will be using. At this point, remove the plastic and watch your bed spring to life. It will start inflating almost immediately. You are likely to notice a slight chemical smell as it does, but it will dissipate quickly. The smell will go away more quickly if the mattress is in a well-ventilated room.
- CertiPUR-US® – The foams in this bed are CertiPUR-US® certified. CertiPUR-US® is a third-party program that ensures the foams meet rigorous health and safety standards. This means they don’t contain harmful substances like ozone depleters, PBDEs, heavy metals, formaldehyde, and phthalates. They should also have low volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions.
- The AS2 was once offered as a hybrid mattress or an all-foam mattress. Amerisleep now only offers this mattress in the all-foam model.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping – The AS2 ships free via FedEx.
- Trial – This mattress has a 100-night sleep trial that begins the day of delivery. You will need to try your mattress for at least 30 days before returning it.
- Warranty – There is a 20-year warranty on the AS2. You will receive a full refund within the first 10 years, but the remaining 10 years are prorated.
- Return Policy – If, within the 100-night sleep trial, you decide this is not the mattress for you, you can return it. Amerisleep will donate the mattress to charity and issue a full refund.
Sizes & Prices
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 74” x 12”||$1,299|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 12”||$1,349|
|Full||54” x 75” x 12”||$1.499|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12”||$1,549|
|King||76” x 80” x 12”||$1,849|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 12”||$2,248|
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the Amerisleep AS2 a good mattress?
Yes, the Amerisleep AS2 is made with quality materials and is crafted for durability. By utilizing technology-driven processes and eco-friendly foam, this mattress not only provides a good night’s sleep, but it also strives to help the planet.
Can I flip my AS2 mattress?
You shouldn’t flip your AS2 mattress. It is specifically designed in layers that help provide proper support and alignment. If you flip it, those layers would be upside down and you would be sleeping on the firmest portion.
What if I don’t like my AS2 mattress?
You have 100 nights from the day of arrival to try out your AS2. If after 30 days of the trial, you decide that the AS2 isn’t right for you, you will be issued a full refund and Amerisleep will arrange for your bed to be donated to charity.
AS2 vs Other Brands
AS2 vs Nectar
- 12-inch profile
- All-foam mattress
- 100-night trial
- 12-inch profile
- All-foam mattress
- 365-night trial
Who We Recommend the AS2 For
- Back and stomach sleepers
- Couples and co-sleepers
- Those who sleep hot
Who We Recommend the Nectar For
- Couples who are light sleepers
- Budget shoppers
- Side and back sleepers
Read our Nectar mattress review if you think the Nectar is right for you.
AS2 vs Helix Midnight
- All-foam mattress
- Best for back sleepers
- 365-night trial period
- Hybrid mattress
- Best for side sleepers
- Quality Construction
Who We Recommend the AS2 For
- Eco-conscious consumers
- People who like a fairly firm bed
- Those who enjoy an all-foam feel
Who We Recommend the Helix Midnight For
- Average-weight folks
- Pressure relief seekers
- Those who experience lower back pain
Read our Helix Midnight mattress review if you think the Helix Midnight is right for you.
AS2 vs Other Amerisleep Models
AS2 vs AS3
- Best Amerisleep value mattress
- Most firm Amerisleep mattress
- Best for back sleepers
- Most popular Amerisleep mattress
- Less firm than AS2
- Best for side sleepers
Who We Recommend the AS2 Original For
- Those experiencing back pain
- Sleepers looking for a supportive mattress
- Shoppers with a smaller budget
Who We Recommend the AS3 For
- People who like a softer mattress
- Side sleepers who want pressure relief
Read our Amerisleep AS3 mattress review if you think the Amerisleep AS3 is right for you.
The Amerisleep AS2 performed well in key areas like motion isolation, pressure relief, and edge support. Although the price point may be higher for some shoppers, we think it offers an exceptional value for the price considering its innovative design.
The AS2 has a medium-firm feel, which many side sleepers may find too firm. Most side sleepers need a medium to medium-soft mattress that delivers quality pressure relief because pressure can easily accumulate in this position.
The blend of pressure-relieving foams and medium-firm support should be a good fit for back sleepers. The comfort foam should help ensure pressure buildup in heavier areas like the shoulders is limited, and the firmer support layers should keep the spine well-aligned to fend off back pain.
The medium-firm feel and supportive BioCore® foam and coils should be a good fit for stomach sleepers. Stomach sleepers need firmer beds to help ensure their hips and midsection don’t dip too much, as this could lead to poor spine alignment.
How well this bed performs for combination sleepers is largely dependent on what positions are included for you. Those who alternate between their backs and stomachs should do great. It’s fairly easy to reposition and both of those preferred sleeping positions are served well on this bed. If you are also a side sleeper, this bed may be too firm.
The AS2 does a great job isolating motion so sleep mates shouldn’t be disturbed by the twists and turns of the other half of their pairing. Although all-foam beds aren’t really known for their bounce which sexually active couples prefer, it is pretty responsive and shouldn’t ever leave anyone feeling stuck.
Those heavyweight sleepers who are under 300 pounds and like to sleep on either their backs or stomachs should find that this mattress is likely to support them well and keep their spines aligned. Those over 300 pounds and all heavyweight side sleepers will probably be better suited with a different mattress.
The firmness of the AS2 should provide support and pressure relief for lightweight sleepers who prefer to sleep on their backs and stomachs. However, for lighter folks who roll to their sides to snooze, this mattress will probably prove to be too firm, and they are likely to wake with some aches and pains due to pressure build up.
Average Weight Sleepers
If you fall in the middle of the scale and you like to slumber on your stomach or back, the AS2 could likely be what your dreams are made of. This bed should provide terrific support and spinal alignment with a comforting amount of contouring. However, if you are a side sleeper, this bed may feel a bit too firm.
The AS2 should prove to be a great return on investment. It uses quality and eco-friendly materials to provide a durable mattress that will likely be in it for the long haul for many sleepers.
After testing this mattress, we’ve come to the conclusion that the AS2 has a lot to like about it. Amerisleep’s technology-driven approach to cooling you down and their commitment to eco-friendly materials are certainly pros, but fortunately their dedication to bringing you a restful night of sleep doesn’t end there.
This mattress provides exceptional pressure relief, support, and spinal alignment, which works particularly well for back and stomach sleepers. We do want to note that the biggest drawback for this mattress is that it may feel too firm for side sleepers of any weight class, and those with that preferred sleep position should likely look elsewhere.
Jill Zwarensteyn is the editor for Sleep Advisor and a certified sleep science coach. She is enthusiastic about providing helpful and engaging information on all things sleep and wellness.
Based in Los Angeles, she is an experienced writer and journalist who enjoys spending her free time at the beach, hiking, reading, or exploring new places around town.
She’s also an avid traveler who has a personal goal of being able to successfully sleep on an airplane someday.