So you’re starting out on your own, and you need a new bed but you can afford to spend big bucks. Are you destined to sleep on a hand-me-down from your beloved Aunt or does a company like Polysleep maybe have a better answer?
This is a company based in Canada, devoted to making quality Canadian products. Their Origin mattress is aimed at the market looking for a good deal on an entry-level mattress. Our in-depth look at Origin will go through the layers of this all-foam product and give you the 411 on all the things you want to know about how a mattress sleeps: pressure relief, support, motion transfer, etc.
If you don’t have time for all that, you can, of course, skip down to the bottom and check out our conclusion section, which should bring you up to speed.
You will love Origin if you:
- Need a budget-friendly bed – This product is priced several hundred dollars less than their flagship mattress, but it still delivers on great features with a more streamlined design and packaging.
- Need to fight allergies – The surface foam is certified to be antimicrobial, which is great news for people who need to keep their sleep areas as clean as possible.
- Sleep light – Motion transfer is very minimal in these foams, which is a huge advantage for light sleepers who worry about their partner’s movements keeping them awake.
You might not like Origin if you:
- Have substantial weight considerations – This mattress is slightly thinner than the company’s other models and may not offer the extra support needed by sleepers over 200 pounds. These sleepers might be better served by the flagship or Zephyr models.
Also you can see our other top picks for 2020 here.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
This all-foam mattress drops onto your front stoop vacuum sealed into a box for cost-effective shipping. Once expanded, you can place the bed on any standard bedframes, though platforms and closer fitting slats tend to work best for all-foam beds.
The breathable purple cover is made from cellulosic fibers that give the bed a cotton-like softness and this washable layer is spread over two layers of foam that stand a total of 8 inches tall.
- The first layer is a certified antimicrobial viscoelastic foam that is open-celled so air can move more freely through it while the 2.5 inches cradle your pressure points and offers some support.
- The second layer is the supportive base that stands 5.5 inches tall and works to support your weight and help align your spine.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
Our (firmness) scale rates beds between 1, which is really soft, and 10, that’s like the floor. This choice is definitely right around a Medium-Firm 6.5 or maybe 7, providing enough firmness to keep most bodies well-supported but with a dash of cradling softness to reduce pressure.
Let’s dive into what this means. Depending on your weight, you’ll probably rest somewhere between a gentle and a medium cradle as the memory foam in the top layer wraps around your shape. The firmer foams beneath push back against your body making sure that even your heaviest points are supported and your body should remain in a neutral, spine-aligning position.
There’s a little bounce on the surface, but not a ton overall. There should be enough, however, to keep combination sleepers moving smoothly across the surface and never feeling stuck or sucked in by the comfort materials.
Most back sleepers will enjoy the support they feel as the foams contour to their lumbar while the foams beneath balance the softness with firmer support.
Side sleepers should feel their hips and shoulders sink into the comfort foams without any uncomfortable pressure, though curvier individuals may wish they had a surface with a little more plushness to accommodate their shape.
And finally, lighter and average weighted stomach sleepers should feel that the supportive foams keep their hips level and their weight resting evenly.
Heavier individuals may not find the support they require in this mattress and may want to upgrade to the more advanced models from Polysleep, though lighter weight sleepers should find this product offers excellent comfort for the price.
Though there is a small measure of bounce on the surface of this bed, the foams do a decent job of isolating motion at its source. What does this mean for sleepers? If your partner, pet, or child gets restless or moves in and out of bed, you’re probably not going to feel it where you’re sleeping.
Bed-in-a-box products that are built with foam, especially ones on the thinner side, do not have the super-strong edges that you might be used to in traditional spring models, and this choice performs above average based on industry standards. This feature can increase the amount of supportive space on top of your bed and give you and your partner more room to spread out.
- Trial Period – You can try this bed in your house for 100 nights to see if its a match, and if it’s not your speed, send it back for a refund.
- Warranty – The company offers a 5-year warranty on this mattress.
- Shipping – This product ships to your door for free throughout the USA and Canada. There may be a small fee added for locations in more remote regions.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – This program evaluates beds for levels of dangerous and environmentally unfriendly materials, and those products certified have passed their rigorous testing.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Made in Canada
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||39” x 75” x 8”||$450|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 8”||$500|
|Full||54” x 75” x 8”||$550|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 8”||$650|
|King||76” x 80” x 8”||$750|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 8”||$750|
Whether you’re just starting out or looking for a versatile choice for your guest room, Polysleep now delivers an entry-level bed that mixes anti-microbial comfort with firm foam support.
The company that brings you Polysleep mattress and the upgrade Zephyr has introduced Origin to the budget-friendly space. This 8-inch foam mattress combines an open-celled memory foam with a supportive base.
This more streamlined design is especially nice for allergy sufferers as the top layer of foam is certified as anti-microbial. The flashy purple cover completes the package for this sleek entry-level choice.