Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Are you looking for a mattress that works for a variety of sleeping positions?
Designed with Universal Adaptive Feel™, Leesa’s premium foam mattress adapts to nearly every size and type of sleeper.
One of the original bed-in-a-box companies, Leesa has grown in prominence and popularity since launching in 2014. While their business is almost exclusively online, they have a partnership with West Elm and a gallery in New York City.
This in-depth review of Leesa is based on our scoring system that includes characteristics such as value, support, and quality.
Short on time? Read our summary here.
You will love Leesa if you:
- Need a mattress that accommodates multiple positions – This model has a medium-level firmness, which caters to the widest range of individuals. It works especially well for combination sleepers and partners who have different patterns.
- Sleep hot but want a memory foam feel – Traditional memory foam tends to trap heat, which can make it uncomfortable. By placing the memory layer underneath an airflow-centric first layer, the temperature stays more regulated at night.
- Want to order from a company with positive initiatives – Leesa has three core initiatives. They plant 1 tree for each order in partnership with the Arbor Day Foundation, volunteer in local communities, and donate 1 mattress for every 10 they sell. To date, they have donated over 23,000 mattresses and planted 135,000 trees. These are among some of the fantastic initiatives that are often seen in the bedding industry leaders.
You might not like Leesa if you:
- Prefer innerspring mattresses – This foam brand does not include innersprings in its design. However, there is a bounce to its surface and it has the advantage of memory materials with pressure relief (which traditional innersprings forego).
Construction (Materials & Quality)
Leesa is a foam bed that is delivered to your door compressed in a box. It is designed for use with a variety of foundations, including solid platforms, solid box springs/foundations, Bunkie boards on box springs, and slatted foundations. The company sells its own foundation on its site.
The iconic gray cover has four white stripes on its lower third that is easily identifiable as a Leesa. It is thicker than quite a few other covers and zips off for easy spot cleaning.
Three layers make up the bed’s 10-inch height.
- The first layer consists of 2-inch Avena® foam, which helps with airflow and cooling. The pincore holes and convoluted (egg crate) surface underneath helps to further these properties. Although the foam has many latex-like qualities, it is more durable than latex.
- The second layer is 2 inches of memory foam. It supplies pressure relief and contouring. Unlike the top layer that has quick responsiveness, it has a slow responding quality.
- The base layer is 6 inches of dense poly foam for support. It gives the mattress its shape and durability.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
Most people get a great night’s sleep on a mattress with medium-level firmness. We have rated Leesa a 5.5 out of 10 on our scale, with 10 being the firmest. This is why we believe individuals of all types will enjoy their time on this bed.
Leesa is soft and springy to the touch. The top Avena® layer responds quickly like latex, but pushing deeper into the memory foam layer reveals a slower response time.
While there is medium-level sinkage while lying down, the Avena® layer makes repositioning easy and there is a bit of bounce to the bed.
Spinal alignment is one of the most important aspects for back sleepers. Spines should maintain neutral alignment and there should be plenty of support in the lumbar region.
Stomach sleepers should also noticed proper alignment. Even though memory foam can make sleepers sink down, the base and latex-like layers offer support to keep hips on top of the mattress instead of digging into the bed. There should be no uncomfortable arching of the back.
Side sleepers have further needs for pressure relief than stomach and back positions. This is because they have more weight distributed over a smaller area. Most will benefit from the memory layer that provided pressure relief for shoulders and hips.
While we believe most people will be a good fit for this bed, significantly heavier individuals may need medium-firm to firm support for their backs, necks, and hips. However, extremely lightweight individuals that are side sleepers may need a softer bed for adequate pressure relief.
Not sure if this brand is the right fit? Use the 100-night risk-free trial to help you decide.
Memory foam performs the best in this category with all-foam beds serving as a close second. In the case of Leesa, both materials work together to curb motion transfer. There is minimal motion transfer and we feel confident that light sleepers will not be disturbed.
Edge support is of varying importance, depending on whether or not buyers spend long amounts of time sitting or sleeping on the edge.
It is something to consider, though rarely a reason people do not buy a mattress. Bed-in-box models tend to have less edge support than innerspring mattresses or those that have edge reinforcement with dense polyurethane.
There is noticeable compression while sitting on the edge. However, there is good support while lying on the edge. Unlike other beds that push sleepers out along the edge, you should feel well supported.
- Trial Period – 100-night risk-free trial.
- Warranty – 10-year limited warranty.
- Free Shipping – Free shipping and returns in the USA, Canada, UK, and Germany. Alaska and Hawaii customers are subject to a $100 return fee.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – Made with a process that reduces ozone depleters and unsafe amounts of toxic chemicals, Leesa maintains strict requirements that help make their product eco-friendly.
- Social Impact Initiatives – The company has three initiatives. For every 10 Leesa beds sold, the company donates 1 to someone in need. In addition, they plant trees with each product sold and volunteer in local communities.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Made in the USA
One of the original bed-in-box brands, Leesa continues to produce a quality product with a high level of versatility.
Note: We did not include Trial/Warranty scores due Amazon Associates Program stipulations.
Leesa’s premium foam mattress works wonders for sleepers of all positions. With medium firmness, solid support, and the pressure relief of memory foam, there is something for everyone with this bed.
Avena® foam with pincore holes and an egg crate-shaped bottom help to keep sleepers cool and comfortable all night. While this can be a challenge for foam beds, Leesa has innovated and integrated cooling features right into their product.
We are impressed with the brand’s commitment to giving back to communities through donating 1 bed for every 10 they sell. In addition, they partner with the Arbor Day Foundation to plant a tree for each product they sell and their employees spend time volunteering.
Author: Jill Thompson
I've been self-employed for almost four years and I would not change it for anything! I believe that anyone can achieve their goals with the right attitude and determination.
I'm an avid traveler (25+ countries and counting) that loves to meet new people doing amazing things.
When I'm not researching for the Sleep Advisor, you can find me reading, running, traveling, golfing, or meditating.
I wish you the very best on your journey!