Leesa’s most luxurious bed to date, the Legend Hybrid, may be the answer to the sleep questions asked by a host of different types of sleepers. This hybrid has two layers of springs – pocketed coils and microcoils – sandwiched between multiple layers of comfort foam.
The thoughtful design of Leesa’s latest high-end hybrid promises to provide pressure relief, support, and all-around comfort, but does it deliver?
We’ll separate fact from fiction in our complete Leesa Legend Hybrid mattress review. We’ll discuss how the Leesa Legend performed across a variety of categories like pressure relief, support, and more.
Watch Our Leesa Legend Hybrid Review
Who We Recommend The Leesa Legend Hybrid For:
- Eco-friendly shoppers – Leesa’s sustainable mattress features natural and recycled materials. The hypoallergenic cover is made from organic cotton and Merino wool, allowing it to wick away moisture and naturally resist bacteria.
- Sleepers with pain – With two innerspring systems and built-in zoning, sleepers should experience targeted pressure relief. Softer support under the shoulders and hips is designed to allow sinkage, while firmer support for the back promotes spinal alignment. This helps keep pressure off your lower back by maintaining a healthy sleep posture.
- Hybrid seekers – Leesa wowed the world with its first hybrid, but the Legend takes things to the next level by adding in a second layer of coils. Hybrid lovers should be extra pleased with the level of hug and responsiveness they get from this bed.
Who We Don’t Recommend The Leesa Legend Hybrid For:
- Sleepers who prefer more support – Lighter folks and side sleepers tend to love a softer bed, while the opposite is true for heavier folks and dedicated stomach sleepers who need a little extra support. If you fall into the latter camp, you may want to consider one of Leesa’s other options.
- Those who prefer padded edges – Some may find the material around the mattress to be too thin because the coils may be felt in this area. Those who prefer to have thicker padding where the harder coils can’t be felt may want to take note of this.
First Impressions: Firmness & Feel
Firmness Scale: 6.5/10 (Medium Firmness)
Please remember that firmness is a subjective characteristic and your shape will dictate how you experience a bed. A heavier person whose weight can more easily push through softer comfort and support layers may experience a bed as softer than a lightweight person. The way you are shaped could also play a role here. Consider your weight, shape, and size when evaluating firmness scores.
A big factor when considering a mattress is its firmness. We rate mattress firmness on a 1-10 scale with 10 being the most firm.
The Leesa Legend Hybrid falls at a 6.5 out of 10 on our firmness scale, which is on the upper end of what we call medium-firm. This medium-firmness level should accommodate most sleep positions, but especially lightweight to average-weight sleepers. Heavyweight sleepers may want something more firm since they sink into the mattress more.
However, most sleepers should find a nice balanced feel with this mattress. It’s soft enough to cushion your body, but firm enough to provide support where you need it most.
How Does It Feel?
The Leesa Legend arrives at your door rolled and compressed in a box. A queen size weighs roughly 120 pounds, so you may want to grab a friend or take advantage of the optional white glove delivery.
The luxurious cover features the brand’s signature four-stripe design and stylish stitching. When you run your hand over the cover, it should feel soft and durable. During testing, we also found that the microcoils flexed nicely under heavier pressure points to provide relief, while the spine received extra support.
What We Like About the Leesa Legend Hybrid
- Excellent edge support – The Leesa Legend utilizes high-density coils which provide excellent support around the perimeter of the bed. This is especially helpful for couples who want to use the full surface of the mattress.
- Works well for couples – With a combination of great motion control and bounce, this mattress is great for co-sleepers and sexually-active partners.
- Leesa’s commitment to the planet – Leesa is committed to lowering its carbon footprint by using recycled steel and plastic.
Our Leesa Legend Hybrid Complaints
- Comes with a hefty price tag – Although the premium and sustainable materials used in the Leesa Legend make the high price tag understandable, it does put this out of reach for folks on a budget.
- Not a fit for dedicated stomach sleepers – This hybrid bed is a great fit for a variety of sleeping positions. However, some dedicated stomach sleepers (namely, heavyweight sleepers) may find it too soft to adequately support certain areas of the body.
Testing the Leesa Legend Hybrid: How it Performed
We put mattresses through a litany of tests, including ones that measure pressure relief, support, and motion isolation. Additionally, we take body weight and preferred sleeping positions into consideration, as both of these factors can affect how well you sleep on a mattress.
Sleeping Positions for Different Body Types
Leesa states that the Legend Hybrid mattress can support individual weights up to 350 pounds or 700 pounds total, for two sleepers sharing a bed. That means most people should feel supported by this mattress, although some heavyweight sleepers (stomach sleepers in particular) may find this mattress too soft.
|Weight||Side Sleepers||Back Sleepers||Stomach Sleepers
|Lightweight Sleepers (-130 lbs)||★★☆||★★★||★★☆|
|Average-Weight Sleepers (130-230 lbs)||★★★||★★★||★★☆|
|Heavyweight Sleepers (+230 lbs)||★★★||★★☆||★☆☆|
- Lightweight Sleepers – Lightweight sleepers, particularly those under 130 pounds, may find the Leesa Legend Hybrid a bit too firm since they may not sink enough to activate the upper comfort layers. As a result, the medium firmness of this mattress may put too much pressure on their shoulders and hips.
- Average-weight Sleepers – If you are an average-weight person who gravitates to your side when you sleep, the Leesa Legend should offer you contouring comfort and a balanced level of support.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Although heavyweight side sleepers can sometimes feel that they sink too far into the bed, they won’t have to worry about that with this mattress. They’ll sink just enough to get deep pressure relief without losing any support.
- Lightweight Sleepers – For the majority of those on the more petite side, this mattress should provide great lumbar support and spinal alignment.
- Average-weight Sleepers – Back sleepers who are in the middle of the scale should be a great match for this mattress. The individually-wrapped coils help provide enough pushback to keep their spine aligned throughout the night.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Most heavyweight sleepers who rest on their back should feel supported by this mattress. The coils help maintain spine alignment while the upper comfort layers cushion the back and shoulders.
- Lightweight Sleepers – Lightweight stomach sleepers should enjoy the medium-firm support from the Leesa Legend. They’ll sink just enough to feel cushioning from the foam, while the coils underneath keep their hips raised for optimal spine alignment.
- Average-weight Sleepers – Dedicated stomach sleepers of an average weight should enjoy a comfortable amount of sinkage without missing out on support.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Heavyweight stomach sleepers may find that they need a firmer bed. Although this mattress contains a sturdy support layer, these sleepers may sink too deeply, causing the spine to fall out of alignment.
Pressure Relief & Pain
The Leesa Legend Hybrid mattress takes pressure relief seriously by combining multiple layers of foam with an innerspring coil system. The zoned support system is designed to allow the shoulders and hips to sink in just enough for pressure relief, while the supportive core keeps the spine properly aligned.
Side sleepers, who are often most in need of quality pressure relief, should experience a comfortable amount of sinkage with this mattress. Additionally, back sleepers should find that the Legend contours their lower back, all while still providing necessary support.
Back Pain – The Leesa Legend’s zoned support helps relieve back pain by contouring to the chest and shoulders, while keeping the hips raised and spine aligned. This makes it a good choice for people who deal with back pain.
Hip Pain – While sleepers with hip pain should try to sleep on their back or stomach to avoid putting more pressure in this area, the Leesa Legend is well-equipped to relieve hip pain. The Four layers of memory foam help cradle the hips while the coils should keep you in a healthy sleeping posture.
Shoulder Pain – The medium-firm feel combined with this bed’s zoned support should help alleviate shoulder pain for most sleepers.
This hybrid does a good job of providing support, thanks to the double coil systems. While the initial microcoil layer is aimed at relieving pressure, the denser pocketed spring core offers a supportive base to keep the lumbar spine in an optimal position.
The dual-coil system also gives this bed a higher level of bounce, which can make repositioning easier. This unique design was also built for long-term stability and durability, so you should receive consistent support for years to come. The only exception we found was in the stomach sleeping position, in which the hips sank more than expected, however this should only affect heavyweight sleepers.
A common complaint among people who share a bed is that their sleep gets disturbed when their bedmate moves around. However, unlike innerspring systems that move as a single unit, individually-pocketed coils, like the one found on this mattress, operate independently. This cuts down on motion transfer, while a stabilizing layer of foam isolates motion further so partners can enjoy uninterrupted sleep.
Temperature Regulation / Cooling
The hybrid nature of the Leesa Legend allows for better airflow than what is typically found in all-foam mattresses. The individually-wrapped coils help keep air moving, but Leesa also goes a step further by hole punching the top layer to promote heat transfer. When it comes to staying cool as you snooze, the Leesa Legend Hybrid brings the chill.
Performance for Couples
With a combination of excellent motion transfer and bounce, this mattress should work exceptionally well for couples. By excelling in motion transfer, this bed helps co-sleepers experience few disturbances from the tossing and turning of their mate. Sexually-active couples should also get plenty of bounce. Additionally, the medium-firm feel supports a multitude of sleeping positions and comfort preferences.
Optional White Glove Delivery
For an extra fee, a team of two will take care of unboxing, set-up on your foundation or frame, and removal of any packaging. You can also request to have them remove your old mattress and box spring.
Leesa was one of the pioneers of directly shipping beds to customers without the need for middlemen. This contactless delivery method means your mattress will arrive at your doorstep rolled and compressed in a box. Be sure you have some help to move it to your bedroom or check out the option for white glove delivery.
Leesa’s commitment to lowering its carbon footprint includes sustainable manufacturing practices and eco-friendly materials. The cover is made from Merino wool, 100% organic cotton, and fiber from recycled bottles. The coils are also made from recycled steel.
Adjustable Base Compatible
Leesa recommends setting up your mattress on a solid, slatted, or adjustable base. The company also sells its own platform, foundation, and adjustable frame.
Handcrafted in the USA
Construction: What’s Inside the Leesa Legend Hybrid?
The Leesa Legend Hybrid stands an impressive 12 inches tall and features six unique layers. The sustainable cover is made from 100 percent organic cotton, moisture-wicking Merino wool, and fiber from recycled water bottles. The cover is also naturally resistant to bacteria, mold, and mildew, making this an ideal choice for those with allergies.
- Underneath the cover, the first layer features comfort foam that’s responsive and aerated with punch holes for maximum breathability. This 1-inch layer provides a gentle hug to cradle the body but with enough bounce to aid repositioning.
- The second layer is 1 inch of classic memory foam which allows for greater sinkage and pressure relief.
- The third layer is a 1.5-inch “relief and stability” layer and features micro-pocket springs under the head and foot with firm poly-foam in the middle. This multi-purpose design aims to offer pressure relief, support, and motion isolation.
- A 1-inch transition layer made from firmer poly foam eases sleepers from one spring layer to the next.
- The supportive core features over 1,000 quick-response pocketed springs. These individually-wrapped coils move independently, offering targeted support and cutting down on motion transfer. The perimeter is also lined with high-density coils for increased durability and edge support.
- The base is made from another 1-inch layer of firmer poly foam to add stability and provide a firm foundation.
Unboxing & Off-Gassing
If you choose to have the Leesa Legend Hybrid shipped to you (rather than opting for the white glove delivery), it will arrive rolled and compressed in a box. It’s a pretty hefty mattress so you may want to have someone help you carry it depending on the size. We recommend first opening the top of the box and then sliding the plastic covered mattress out.
Once it is positioned, carefully cut away the plastic. Then, it should immediately start to expand and takeshape.
As with most bed-in-a-box mattresses that contain foam, you will likely notice an odor known as off-gassing. While the smell may be unpleasant for some, rest assured it’s harmless. It should quickly dissipate, especially if left in a well-ventilated area.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – The foams in this bed are CertiPUR-US® certified. CertiPUR-US® is a third-party program that ensures the foams meet rigorous health and safety standards. This means they don’t contain harmful substances like ozone depleters, PBDEs, heavy metals, formaldehyde, and phthalates. They should also have low volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping – Free shipping is available to all 50 states.
- Delivery – Leesa offers free shipping for its beds-in-a-box. For an additional fee of $150, you can choose white-glove delivery where Leesa representatives set up your new mattress for you as well as remove your old one.
- Trial – Take advantage of the 100-night trial to make sure it’s right for you.
- Warranty – Leesa offers a 10-year warranty with all of its mattresses.
- Return Policy – The Legend Hybrid can be returned for a full refund during the 100-night trial. Whenever possible, Leesa tries to donate returned mattresses to a non-profit or charity.
Sizes & Prices
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 12”||$1,899|
|Full||53” x 75” x 12”||$2,199|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12”||$2,399|
|King||76” x 80” x 12”||$2,699|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 12”||$2,699|
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take for the Leesa Legend Hybrid to expand?
Once your Leesa Legend Hybrid mattress is unboxed, it should start to expand almost immediately. In about an hour, your mattress should take shape. After four hours, the Leesa Legend should be suitable for most people to sleep on, but for it to be at its peak performance, it is best to wait a full 24 hours.
Can I sleep on my Leesa mattress right away?
Although it will likely take up to a day for the Leesa Legend Hybrid to reach its peak firmness level, after about four hours your mattress should be fully expanded and ready for you to sleep on.
Do Leesa Legend Hybrid mattresses soften over time?
Considering the Leesa Legend is a hybrid mattress, you shouldn’t experience much softening over time. The dual-coil system and high-density foams are durable enough to stand the test of time and maintain the mattress’s structure.
Leesa vs Other Brands
Leesa Legend Hybrid vs Saatva Classic
- Can support many sleep positions
- Individually-wrapped coils
- Commitment to social causes
- Classic innerspring feel
- Affordable Luxury
- Quality Construction
Who We Recommend the Legend Hybrid For
- Average-weight back and sleepers
- Those who deal with aches and pains
Who We Recommend the Saatva Classic For
- Those who enjoy a classic innerspring feel
- Luxury lovers
- Stomach sleepers
Learn more in our Saatva Classic Mattress Review.
Leesa Legend Hybrid vs WinkBed
- Eco-conscious materials
- Adjustable base compatible
- 100-night trial period
- Reinforced perimeter
Who We Recommend the Legend Hybrid For
- Sleepers who don’t mind paying for luxury
- Side sleepers
- Average-weight sleepers of any sleep position
Who We Recommend the WinkBed For
- Those who sleep hot
- Those seeking handcrafted customization
- Combination sleepers
Read our WinkBed Mattress Review if you think the WinkBed is right for you.
Leesa Legend Hybrid vs Other Leesa Models
Leesa Legend Hybrid vs Leesa Original
- Dual-coil system
- Exceptional pressure relief
- Higher price point
- All-foam mattress
- Four foam comfort layers
- Affordable design
Who We Recommend the Legend Hybrid For
- People with back pain
- Sleepers seeking responsiveness
- Those willing to pay more for durable materials
Who We Recommend the Leesa Original For
- Those on a budget
- Fans of a classic memory foam feel
- Lightweight and average-weight side sleepers
Check out our Leesa Original Mattress Review.
The Legend Hybrid is a luxurious mattress option from Leesa that offers eco-friendly features, a dual-coil system, and built-in zoned support. Its medium-firm feel appeals to a wide range of sleepers, while its supportive design helps those with back pain or excess pressure enjoy relief.
Across the board, side sleepers of all shapes and sizes should be very pleased with how this bed feels. The three comfort layers are designed to offer contouring relief from pressure points, while the dual coil systems keep the body well supported. We found that the Legend provided good sinkage for the hips and shoulders.
Most back sleepers should feel gently cradled by the comfort layers. The springs provide pushback support with zoning to keep the spine aligned. Heavier back sleepers may feel they sink in too deeply to experience lumbar support and would be better served by a firmer mattress.
Most stomach sleepers prefer a firm bed that offers adequate support to keep the hips from sinking in. While lighter to average-weight stomach sleepers may feel comfortable on the Legend, heavy individuals may find it too soft to provide adequate support.
This mattress has a lot of versatility that should make it a good fit for sleepers who change positions throughout the night. We found that repositioning on the Legend took minimal effort thanks to its high level of bounce, which is a big plus for this group.
This hybrid mattress has a lot to offer couples with excellent motion isolation, edge support, and a higher level of bounce. Additionally, the Leesa Legend Hybrid’s medium-firm feel is versatile and can work for multiple sleep positions so both partners should experience comfort and support.
People over 230 pounds have unique needs when it comes to sleep. While the Legend Hybrid isn’t targeted specifically for heavier folks, the Legend can accommodate up to 350 pounds per side in the Queen and King models. The two coil units adds extra stability and durability to prevent the mattress from bottoming out, though heavier sleepers who rest on their stomach may want a bed with a higher firmness level (think something that ranks at a 7 or 8 out of 10).
Most lightweight sleepers should find a good match in the Leesa Legend Hybrid. The medium-firm feel should accommodate petite stomach and back sleepers in particular, as the coils keep these sleepers in proper alignment while still cushioning areas of pressure like the chest and shoulders.
Average Weight Sleepers
This bed is an exceptional choice for average-weight sleepers. Average-weight sleepers should be cocooned in supportive comfort no matter their sleep position. The Legend Hybrid’s medium-firm feel helps this group sink just enough for pressure relief without compromising on support.
Leesa has managed to create a bed of legendary proportions with its latest hybrid. The dual-coil units sandwiched between layers of foam should provide a balance of softness and support. With eco-friendly materials and a high-end design, the Legend should also add an element of luxury to your bedroom.
After testing the Leesa Legend Hybrid, we think this mattress should exceed the expectations for those looking for a luxurious, supportive bed. With a sturdy dual-coil unit and four comfort layers that wrap you in a hug, the Leesa Legend combines comfort with responsiveness. Leesa’s commitment to sustainability and giving back are an added bonus.
Hot sleepers, couples, and average-weight sleepers of any position are the best fit for this mattress. Additionally, the zoned support makes the Legend Hybrid work well for sleepers with back pain. The one group we don’t recommend the Legend Hybrid for are heavyweight back and stomach sleepers who may want a firmer feel than this medium-firm mattress can offer.