What if you could help the planet while getting a restful night’s sleep? If you’re in the market for a new mattress, you may want to consider the Brentwood Home Hybrid Latex.
Not only is this a supportive and comfortable mattress, it is also incredibly eco-friendly.
Made with recycled and organic materials, this mattress boasts several environmental and safety certifications.
In this full review of the Brentwood Home Hybrid Latex, we will break down its construction and performance, as well as what we like and don’t like so that you can decide if it is the right mattress for you.
Who We Recommend the Brentwood Home Hybrid Latex For:
- Eco-conscious shoppers – For those who want to make sure that they are promoting a healthy planet, this mattress will check that box. The company uses recycled bottles, hemp, and other natural materials to produce an eco-friendly mattress.
- Couples – Several factors, including bounce, reactivity, and medium firmness, make this a great bed for couples. The bounce and reactivity make repositioning during sex easy, and the medium firmness can be a good compromise.
- Hot Sleepers – Folks who get hot through the night should like this mattress because its use of coils allows air to flow freely and the thermoregulating organic wool in the top layer helps control body temperature rising.
Who We Don’t Recommend the Brentwood Home Hybrid Latex:
- Lightweight side sleepers – The medium firmness of this mattress may not make it the best choice for lightweight sleepers in general as the bed will probably feel too hard for them. However, light side sleepers may not be satisfied with this bed as it could cause pressure build up.
- Co-sleepers with restless partners – This bed excels in bounce and that often means that it may not be as good when it comes to motion isolation. Unfortunately, that is the case with the Brentwood Home Hybrid Latex. If one partner is restless, this bed may not do the best job and keep motion from transferring across it.
First Impressions: Firmness & Feel
Firmness Scale: 6/10
Please remember that firmness is a subjective characteristic and your shape will dictate how you experience a bed. A heavier person whose weight can more easily push through softer comfort and support layers may experience a bed as softer than a lightweight person. The way you are shaped could also play a role here. Consider your weight, shape, and size when evaluating firmness scores.
Do you like a harder mattress or a softer mattress? Your answer to that question will factor greatly into the type of firmness you will enjoy in your mattress. The Brentwood Home Hybrid Latex comes in at a medium firmness which should make it appealing to a wide range of sleepers. This means that most people won’t find this bed too soft nor will it be considered too hard. Thus making it versatile. The hybrid construction brings comforting and contouring layers in the form of foam and considerable support thanks to the three firmness zones.
How Does It Feel?
The cover, which is what you will initially touch on an undressed mattress, is made from organic plush wool which will feel soft and lush. As you settle into the bed you will be hugged by breathable latex that is divided into three firmness layers for initial support. A pad of renewable organic hemp fiber serves as a transition layer before the individually wrapped coils made from recyclable feel provides balance and support.
What We Like About the Brentwood Home Hybrid Latex
- Recycled and organic materials – This mattress uses a variety of recycled and organic materials including plastic bottles, denim and flax seed.
- Cooling properties – The breathable latex and organic wool help pull heat away from the body while the individually wrapped coils allow air to flow more freely.
- Bounce – Sleepers won’t have to worry about getting stuck when sleeping on the Brentwood Home Hybrid Latex. Its exceptional bounce makes it easy to move about.
Our the Brentwood Home Hybrid Latex Complaints
- Too much motion transfer – For those who sleep with a restless partner or pet, you may not get enough motion isolation with this mattress.
- Not great for stomach sleepers – Stomach sleepers may not experience enough support to keep their hips from sagging which can lead to neck and back issues.
- Too hard for lightweight side sleepers – Those on the lighter side who prefer to sleep on their sides may find that this bed feels too hard which can lead to pressure building up around their shoulders and hips.
Testing the Brentwood Home Latex Hybrid Mattress: How it Performed
Reviewed mattresses are put through a variety of testing methods to check the construction, materials, and the overall quality. However, since a mattress is an important part of a person’s daily routine we also want to showcase how this mattress will perform for various body types and preferred sleep positions. These real world scenarios should bring consumers more peace of mind when purchasing a bed-in-a-box.
Sleeping Positions for Different Body Types
The Brentwood Home Latex Hybrid can hold up to 400 pounds for an individual sleeper or up to 650 pounds for co-sleepers.
|Weight||Side Sleepers||Back Sleepers||Stomach Sleepers
|Lightweight Sleepers (-130 lbs)||★☆☆||★★★||★★☆|
|Average-Weight Sleepers (130-230 lbs)||★★☆||★★★||★★☆|
|Heavyweight Sleepers (+230 lbs)||★★☆||★★☆||★☆☆|
- Lightweight Sleepers – Pressure is likely to build up around the small joints of the shoulders and hips for lightweight sleepers.
- Average Weight Sleepers – Folks in the middle of the weight scale who sleep strictly on their sides encounter moderate pressure, but those who switch from side to back should be comfortable.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Heavyweight sleepers may not be comfortable on this bed because they may push through the layers, and not get the support that they need.
- Lightweight Sleepers – This bed should offer soft contouring and excellent support for lightweight back sleepers.
- Average Weight Sleepers – These folks will probably find this bed incredibly comfortable and supportive.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Many heavyweight back sleepers will find that this bed provides adequate support, but those on the higher end of the spectrum may push through the layers too quickly.
- Lightweight Sleepers – The Brentwood Home Latex should provide lightweight stomach sleepers adequate support for their hips, but it could also prove to be too firm.
- Average Weight Sleepers – Sagging hips can cause a lot of discomfort and while some average-weight sleepers may find the support around their hips to be adequate, most will probably experience pain from their spines not being properly aligned.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – This is not an ideal bed for heavyweight stomach sleepers. The weight around their midsection is likely to push through the layers of the mattress too quickly and they will not receive the support need to keep their hips elevated and their spine aligned.
Pressure Relief & Pain
Overall the Brentwood Home Hybrid Latex provides great pressure relief and helps you wake up free from pain. Pressure can build up around certain areas such as the hips, shoulders and lower back if the bed doesn’t provide enough support or if it is so hard that it doesn’t allow for any contouring. The medium firmness and contouring latex provide a great mixture of support and comfort.
Back Pain – The supportive nature of this bed combined with its overall coziness should help those who experience back pain relief. This bed will likely elevate the hips and keep the spine aligned which is beneficial in keeping back pain at bay.
Hip Pain – A lot of sleepers will feel that this bed is supportive enough to keep their hips elevated and this will allow them to not experience much pain. However, those on the heavier side may push through this mattress too rapidly and this can cause pain from pressure build up.
Shoulder Pain – Given the small surface area of shoulders it is easy for them to experience pain from supporting body weight. However, this mattress keeps the pressure build up around the shoulders fairly low which should help eliminate shoulder pain.
The Brentwood Home Latex Hybrid does a great job with both overall and targeted support. They use a patented-pending zoned latex layer that provides more or less support depending on its location. This layer is cut into zig-zagging waves. The top and the bottom of this latex layer have long waves to reduce pressure points around the shoulders and hips, and provide a mattress that contours to the body’s curves. In the middle portion of this layer the waves become tighter and this should offer more spinal support.
There is some motion transfer with this bed. Although it may not be a deal breaker for everyone, if you sleep with a restless partner or a pet that is up and down throughout the night, you may be disturbed because their motion won’t be completely isolated to their side of the bed.
Temperature Regulation / Cooling
The use of breathable cotton and upcycled denim scraps combined with the coils help make this mattress great at regulating the temperature of sleepers. Air should be able to move freely throughout the Brentwood Home Hybrid latex which will help provide cooling comfort throughout the night.
Read more about cooling mattresses here.
Performance for Couples
Couples looking for a mattress, particularly those who are sexually active, should enjoy the great bounce that this bed provides. This means that they will be able to reposition themselves easily. However, those who sleep with restless partners may not be very satisfied with the motion isolation of this bed.
People who change positions a lot or struggle with mobility typically prefer beds with a bit of “push back” or bounce that assists movement. Sexually active couples also benefit from this feature.
If you’re hoping to reduce waste and be a little greener overall when purchasing a new mattress, the Brentwood Hybrid Latex is an excellent choice. It uses organic cotton and latex, as well as recycled bottles, upcycled denim scraps and hemp. Adjustable Base Compatible.
Handcrafted in the USA
All Brentwood Home mattresses, including the Hybrid Latex, are handcrafted in a factory near Los Angeles.
Construction: What’s Inside the Brentwood Home Hybrid Latex?
At 12 inches tall, the Brentwood Home Hybrid Latex is constructed with the well-being of the environment in mind. This bed brings a mixture of organically and sustainably sourced and recycled materials for a bed that allows you and the planet to rest and rejuvenate.
- The soft and breathable cover is made up of GOTS certified organic cotton from India. It provides a cooling property and a gentle, lush feel.
- A fire retardant layer of organic wool is located directly under the cover. It will provide even more comfort and help keep you safe.
- The next layer is made up of four-inches of GOLS organic certified latex that has been sourced by real rubber trees. The latex layer has three zones of targeted support for your body’s curves and will provide you with a hug-like feeling.
- A transition layer made up of renewable hemp fiber transitions you into the bottom support layer while keeping you comfortable.
- The support layer consists of up to 975 coils made from recycled steel. These coils are individually wrapped and provide pressure relief and spinal support.
- Upcycled denim scraps make up the supportive base layer. Not only are these materials waste-reducing but their breathability helps keep the mattress cool as well.
Unboxing & Off-Gassing
This bed-in-a-box will arrive on your doorstep rolled, compressed, wrapped in plastic, and vacuum-sealed. Upon arrival you will need to move the bed to the room where it will be used, and then proceed to remove it from the box. You will want to carefully cut away the plastic with a knife or scissors. Once the plastic is removed, the bed will immediately begin to expand. It could take up to 48 hours for it to fully take shape, but usually happens faster than that. As the bed starts to expand, you may notice a chemical smell. This is normal and the smell should dissipate within a few hours.
- CertiPUR-US® – The foams in this bed are CertiPUR-US® certified. CertiPUR-US® is a third-party program that ensures the foams meet rigorous health and safety standards. This means they don’t contain harmful substances like ozone depleters, PBDEs, heavy metals, formaldehyde, and phthalates. They should also have low volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping – Brentwood Home offers free ground shipping anywhere in the contiguous U.S., but delivery is not available to any other locations (including Alaska and Hawaii).
- White Glove Delivery – In addition to their free ground shipping, Brentwood Home also offers white glove delivery within the contiguous U.S for additional charges.
- Trial – You will have one year to try out the Brentwood Home Hybrid Lates. The Hybrid Latex comes with a one-year trial period, which is much longer than the average sleep trial.
- Warranty – There is a warranty on this brand for 25 years.
- Return Policy – In the event that you want to return your mattress, Brentwood Home will issue a full refund (minus white glove charges if applicable). You must sleep on the bed for at least 30 days. Additionally, Brentwood Home will arrange for pick-up of your old mattress and arrange for it to be donated to charity or recycled.
Sizes & Prices
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||39” x 75” x 12”||$1,149|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 12”||$1,199|
|Full||54” x 75” x 12”||$1,379|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12”||$1,499|
|King||76” x 80” x 12”||$1,839|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 12”||$1,839|
|Split King||39″ x 80″ x 12″ (x2)||$2,398|
Frequently Asked Questions
Do latex mattresses make you sweat?
Generally, latex mattresses do not make you sweat as latex is a naturally cooling material. It actively dissipates body heat which makes it a great choice for those who sleep hot.
How long can I leave my Brentwood Home mattress in the box?
Although it is probably best to remove your mattress from the box as soon as possible, if you do it within two months you should be fine. If you wait longer than that you could risk altering the shape and fullness of your mattress.
Do Brentwood mattresses need a box spring?
This is completely up to you. They do not need one but you can certainly use one if that is your preference. The bed will do fine on a traditional bed frame or even the floor, but if you like a bed with a higher profile you can certainly add a box spring.
For More Information: Do You Need a Box Spring?
Brentwood vs Other Brands
Brentwood Hybrid Latex vs Avocado Green
- Cooling properties
- Made with recycled materials
- 365 night trial
- Excellent cooling
- Premium, organic materials
- 365 night trial
Who We Recommend the Brentwood Hybrid LatexFor
- Average weight sleepers
- Sexually-active couples
- Those looking for a mattress with breathable materials
Who We Recommend the Avocado Green For
- Back and stomach sleepers
- Eco-friendly consumers
Read our Avocado Green review if you think the Avocado Green is right for you.
Brentwood Hybrid Latex vs Saatva Latex Hybrid
- 25- year warranty
- Hybrid construction
- 6 environmental and safety certifications
- Lifetime warranty
- Hybrid construction
- Certified cotton cover
Who We Recommend the Brentwood Hybrid Latex For
- Combination sleepers
- Eco-conscious shoppers
- Those who like the feel of latex
Who We Recommend the Saatva Hybrid Latex For
- People with back pain
- People with allergies
- Luxury shoppers
Read our Saatva Hybrid Latex review if you think the Saatva Hybrid Latex is right for you.
Brentwood Hybrid Latex vs Other Brentwood Models
Brentwood Hybrid Latex vs Brentwood Oceano Latex Mattress
- Pocket coil construction
- Medium firm
- Up to 975 coils
- Coil on coil construction
- Slightly firm
- Close to 2,700 coils
Who We Recommend the Brentwood Hybrid Latex For
- Heavyweight sleepers
- Back sleepers
- Hot sleepers
Who We Recommend the Brentwood Oceano Latex For
- Fans of pillow tops
- Shoppers with a larger budget
Read our Brentwood Oceano Latex review if you think the Oceano is right for you.
The Brentwood Hybrid Latex is a quality organic hybrid mattress that flies somewhat under the radar in the crowded bed-in-a-box market. It sleeps comfortably for a variety of sleepers and is dedicated to decreasing the world’s carbon footprint.
Lightweight slide sleepers are probably going to experience a good deal of pressure buildup from the firmness of this mattress and heavyweight side sleepers may push through the layers too quickly because it isn’t firm enough for them. However, average weight side sleepers should sleep well on this bed.
This mattress is a dream for back sleepers, especially those who fall in the middle of the scale. They should experience great spinal alignment from the supportive base while simultaneously enjoying the contouring and reactivity of the latex. The medium-firmness should allow for nice contouring but not enough for them to feel stuck.
Hips are the area that typically carry our extra weight and this can cause issues for stomach sleepers. If a bed isn’t supportive enough, hips can sag which often leads to the spine not being aligned. For many sleepers this mattress will not support their hips enough and could cause discomfort.
The latex foam used in this mattress should provide significant reactivity for combination sleepers. People who change positions throughout the night shouldn’t feel stuck when turning over. The coils of this bed will also provide combination sleepers with the kind of bounce that will make it easy to turn over.
The ample bounce and easy reactivity will make this bed make a welcome addition to sexually active couples as they will be able to reposition easily. Additionally, the medium firmness of this mattress should be appealing if couples don’t agree on firmness. Unfortunately, the motion isolation isn’t top notch so co-sleepers with restless partners may not be well served.
Folks on the heavier side can sometimes have a hard time finding a mattress that can offer proper support and comfort. enhanced support. Although some heavyweight back sleepers may sleep well on this Brentwood Hybrid, overall these folks won’t find enough support in the layers of this mattress which can lead to pressure build up and spines that aren’t aligned.
Lighter than average sleepers stomach and sleepers may feel that this mattress is too hard for them. This is likely to make pressure build up around their shoulders and hips. Lightweight back sleepers, on the other hand, should be adequately supported without much concern about pressure build up, but the Brentwood Hybrid may still be too firm for some lightweight.
Average Weight Sleepers
The majority of average-weight sleepers are likely to find that this mattress provides comfort and support with back sleepers potentially thinking that this bed is a dream come true. The soft, contouring upper layers will wrap them in a nice hug. Some average-weight side and stomach sleepers may experience some pressure build, but overall these sleepers should enjoy this mattress.
Brentwood has put a lot of consideration into providing a durable and comfortable eco-friendly mattress. Although this brand may not be as well known as others in the bed-in-a-box space, you shouldn’t sleep on them. Their commitment to the planet and providing a quality mattress are equally impressive.
With quality, eco-friendly materials, Brentwood has created a solid hybrid that will serve a lot of sleepers very well. It should allow average weight sleepers, in particular, to have restful nights thanks to the medium firmness combined with the contouring latex. Brentwood is committed to using recycled plastic bottles, hemp, and other natural products to manufacture a comfortable, durable mattress. Therefore, when purchasing the Brentwood Hybrid Latex, consumers will not only get one that will provide a good night’s sleep, but one that also helps the planet. Overall, this bed-in-a-box is a quality mattress that is reasonably priced.
Sosha Lewis is a staff writer for Sleep Advisor. Lewis is happy that she is able to combine her love of sleep with her love of writing. Lewis also has had articles featured in The Washington Post, Huffington Post, MUTHA Magazine, Charlotte Magazine, and The Charlotte Observer. Her weekly column, Soshally Awkward, is featured on the nationally-syndicated radio show, Bob & Sheri.
She lives in Charlotte, NC with her husband, daughter, and lovable trash-panda of a dog, Olive.