With the emergence of the direct-to-consumer, bed-in-box business model has come more affordable price points and higher quality beds. Mattress brand Brentwood Home is the perfect example of this trend. They offer luxurious beds at competitive price points.
Their Oceano mattress features a variety of eco-conscious, cooling materials to deliver luxurious sleep the way nature intended.
Our comprehensive Brentwood Home Oceano overview provides insight into the materials and construction of this hybrid mattress. We’ll also give a thorough analysis of how this bed performed regarding specialty features such as cooling, edge support, and motion. With the help of this guide, you can decide if the Oceano is the bed for you.
Who We Recommend The Brentwood Home Oceano For:
- Eco-conscious folks – If you’re all about taking care of the environment, you’ll be pleased to hear how Brentwood Home gives back. The Oceano features four certifications that promise a safe and clean product, the company repurposes leftover materials to reduce their environmental impact, and each time a mattress is sold on the Brentwood Home site, they make a donation to the National Forest Foundation.
- Sleepers seeking zoned comfort – The lower coil system features seven comfort zones to offer varying compression levels. This should help most sleepers retain even weight distribution and proper spine alignment regardless of their sleep position.
- Affordable luxury shoppers – Quality materials, cooling properties, zoned comfort, and enhanced support are all available without the hefty price tag that usually accompanies mattresses of this caliber.
Who We Don’t Recommend The Brentwood Home Oceano For:
- People who prefer all-foam beds – While the Oceano has a pillow top with memory foam that allows some contouring and gentle sinking, sleepers who prefer the slow sinking sensation of an all-foam mattress may be disappointed. The Oceano contains a dual-coil system which gives it some considerable bounce and pushback.
- Some heavyweight sleepers – The Oceano should provide ample support to most sleepers, although its medium-firm feel may not prove sturdy enough for heavyweight stomach sleepers. These folks typically need a firmer mattress for maximum support.
First Impressions: Firmness & Feel
Firmness Scale: 5.5/10
Please remember that firmness is a subjective characteristic and your shape will dictate how you experience a bed. A heavier person whose weight can more easily push through softer comfort and support layers may experience a bed as softer than a lightweight person. The way you are shaped could also play a role here. Consider your weight, shape, and size when evaluating firmness scores.
Some mattresses are firmer than the others, so it’s no surprise most people consider firmness when buying a new bed. This is precisely why we rate mattresses on a firmness scale of one to ten, where one is the softest and ten is the firmest. The Oceano falls at a 5.5 out of 10, so you should experience it as medium plush to medium-firm, depending on your exact weight.
This medium feel should fit most people, but especially those average-weight sleepers who prefer resting on their backs. Some side and stomach sleepers may also like the contouring from the memory foam and sturdy support from the coils.
How Does It Feel?
The cover should feel soft and temperature-neutral when you first lie down. Lying on the mattress, you should immediately experience contouring and pressure relief thanks to the foam pillow top.
Down below, the coil systems should provide bounce and responsiveness, which should make repositioning easy. The deeper levels should respond very quickly, while the memory foam layers may take longer to reform. Overall, the bounce and fast response from the deeper levels should allow most combination sleepers to move around easily and freely.
What We Like About the Brentwood Home Oceano
- The pillow top – The Brentwood Home Oceano mattress features a pillow top that contains gel-infused memory foam, wool, and micro coils. The pillow top is thick and should give this mattress a slow response and contouring.
- The mattress comes with two coil units – Apart from the micro coils underneath the pillow top, this mattress also has an 8-inch layer of individually wrapped coils. This layer has up to 975 coils, which equates to a total of 2,697 coils throughout the mattress.
- Medium feel – The medium feel this mattress has should suit most people, although some may experience it as softer or firmer, depending on their particular weight. The contouring foam combined with a medium feel allows a balance of pressure relief and support in most sleeping positions.
Our Brentwood Home Oceano Complaints
- It doesn’t have a classic memory foam feel – Although this bed is constructed with foam, it also includes two sets of coils. Hybrid mattresses are popular because they provide a 2-in-1 experience. However, folks who are used to sleeping on all-foam beds may need some time to get used to the feel of coils and foam working together.
- It has a lower weight capacity than expected – Based off of the Brentwood Oceano’s dual-coil unit, we expected this mattress to have a higher than average weight capacity. While it’s certainly still a supportive mattress, the weight capacity is lower than other comparable hybrid beds.
Testing the Brentwood Home Oceano Mattress: How it Performed
We test mattresses to determine how they perform in different sleeping positions. This way, we have a better understanding of who would be the best match for each mattress. In addition, we tested it for edge support by lying and sitting near the edge to note how much it collapses under weight. We also tested for motion isolation, bounce, and other preference-based features.
Sleeping Positions for Different Body Types
Brentwood claims the Oceano can handle up to 650 pounds for couples and up to 400 pounds for an individual sleeper. Although this is lower than what most would expect from a bed with two innerspring coils, the Oceano should still be a good match for most heavy people.
|Weight||Side Sleepers||Back Sleepers||Stomach Sleepers
|Lightweight Sleepers (-130 lbs)||★★☆||★★★||★★☆|
|Average-Weight Sleepers (130-230 lbs)||★★★||★★★||★★☆|
|Heavyweight Sleepers (+230 lbs)||★★☆||★★☆||★☆☆|
- Lightweight Sleepers – Lightweight sleepers should like the slow response and support that comes from the pillow top. However, lightweight side sleepers who deal with pressure build-up may want an even softer bed.
- Average-weight Sleepers – Side sleepers between 130 to 230 pounds should feel a balance of pressure relief and support thanks to the contouring memory foam and micro coils. They should sink deeper but still experience proper spine alignment.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Heavy side sleepers should also experience more sinkage, but the two coil units should ensure proper spine alignment. Some may still prefer a firmer bed depending on how much they sink.
- Lightweight Sleepers – Back sleepers under 130 pounds should experience gentle contouring in their lumbar area without the hips sinking into the pillow top. This means an equal level of pressure relief and support.
- Average-weight Sleepers – These sleepers should sink a bit more depending on their exact weight. However, most should like the contouring feel that prevents pressure from building up in the lower back while keeping the hips and spine aligned.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Heavy back sleepers are likely to sink deeper, but the micro coils sitting under the memory foam should prevent them from completely bottoming out to the lower coil unit. Most should like the cradling in the lower back area.
- Lightweight Sleepers – Lightweight stomach sleepers should find sufficient support in the memory foam and coil combination. The mattress has a medium feel and should do a good job of supporting the hips of those weighing under 130 pounds.
- Average-weight Sleepers – Average-weight stomach sleepers may experience more sinkage and contouring around the pressure points. However, they should still feel supported in this position, especially those weighing closer to 170 pounds.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Stomach sleepers weighing over 230 pounds are likely to find this mattress too soft to support the hips.
Pressure Relief & Pain
The Oceano’s approach to pressure relief starts with a cooling memory foam blended with plant-based BioFoam®. Like traditional memory foam, this blended material offers that deep hug that foam lovers crave – but with healthier materials.
Lastly, a third comfort layer designed for pressure relief lies underneath the micro coils. Not only is the Air Luxe Foam CertiPUR-US® certified, but it’s also designed for greater breathability and cooling, which should help keep you from overheating during the night.
Back Pain – People with back pain should benefit from the two coil units this mattress has. The Oceano offers excellent support thanks to strategically placed coils that deliver seven support zones. This design helps keep your back straight, which should help minimize back pain in different positions.
Hip Pain – Hip pain is usually the worst for side sleepers who experience the brunt of their weight in the hips and shoulders, but the Oceano mattress contours the hips to prevent pain and pressure from building up. In addition, its medium feel offers just enough sinkage for most people, although some side sleepers with hip pain may like an even softer bed.
Shoulder Pain – People with shoulder pain should try sleeping on their back to take the pressure off the shoulder that hurts. The Oceano mattress should help alleviate the pain by offering a balance of pressure relief and support. However, lightweight side sleepers with shoulder pain may prefer a softer mattress.
Your mattress should provide optimum support to keep your spine in a neutral position which helps ward off pressure in the lower back. The Oceano hastwo separate support systems to keep your spine aligned.
The first line of defense is a layer of microcoils designed for responsiveness and softer support. Underneath that layer, lies a second innerspring layer that features 8-inch individually pocketed coils that compress independently, so you get pushback support for your spine without compromising relief on areas like the shoulders and hips. This unit has seven support zones for the places you need most.
Below this coil unit, the highly-dense Premium Base Support Foam also assures your spine is well-supported.
Motion transfer is an important factor to consider if you’re sharing your bed with a partner, kids, or pets. We’re happy to report that the Oceano mattress has good motion isolation thanks to its memory foam pillow top and coils that are individually-wrapped. The memory foam, along with materials that surround the coils, should help isolate motion so that you don’t feel so much of your partner tossing and turning.
Temperature Regulation / Cooling
The Oceano mattress has several cooling features that make it a good option for hot sleepers. Memory foam is usually known to overheat, but this isn’t traditional memory foam. The company combined it with a plant-based BioFoam® and infused it with gel to help keep it cool. In addition, the memory foam used in this bed uses open-cell technology for better airflow.
Performance for Couples
Couples should like the Oceano mattress as it has excellent edge support, bounce, and motion isolation – key factors that matter most to co-sleepers. The two coil units and reinforced perimeter give this bed sufficient edge support, so couples can spread out without feeling like they’d roll off the bed. In addition, most should like its motion isolation as the memory foam in the pillow top absorbs most movement.
Bed in a Box
Like many online mattress retailers, Brentwood Home ships Oceano rolled and compressed in a box for easy delivery. This contactless delivery method is convenient, safer, and cuts down on costs (saving you money).
Optional White Glove Delivery
If you’re living alone or just need a helping hand, the brand offers optional delivery assistance to help with setting up your new mattress for an additional fee. Removal of your old mattress is available in some areas.
From the cover to the base, this mattress is made using certified organic materials, plant-based materials, and recycled steel. In addition, it features multiple eco-conscious certifications.
Adjustable Base Compatible
The mattress can be placed on any solid surface, including adjustable frames and slatted bases in which the slats are no more than five inches apart to prevent the materials from sagging between the slats.
Handcrafted in the USA
Construction: What’s Inside The Oceano?
At 14 inches tall, the Oceano’s cover is a plant-based Tencel™ fabric produced from Eucalyptus trees designed to feel plush and breathable. Certified organic wool from India is placed just beneath the cover to promote moisture-wicking and temperature regulation.
- Below the cover is a layer of natural poly-silk fiber that offers added breathability.
- The second layer is made from CertiPUR-US® certified memory foam with plant-based BioFoam®. This provides pressure relief and promotes cooling as it contours to your shape and evenly distributes your weight.
- The first innerspring unit contains individually-wrapped micro comfort coils that are 2.5 inches tall. These coils are meant to compress or push back independently under the sleeper’s weight to provide either support or pressure relief as needed.
- Below the micro-coils is an inch of AirLuxe® Foam. This is a thin layer of aerated foam that should deliver airflow and a deeper level of contouring to further promote temperature control and pressure relief.
- The bottom coil layer features 8-inch individually wrapped support coils. This coil system features seven comfort zones to provide more pushback or compression where your body needs it most. This system has a reinforced perimeter and is designed to react independently to your weight and position, which should help reduce motion transfer.
- The foam base is an inch of premium base support foam that gives the bed durability.
- The bottom layer is an organic cotton canvas base. This 100 percent organic material helps prevent sliding throughout the mattress.
Unboxing & Off-Gassing
The Oceano comes in a box, so it’s not as bulky and should be easy to move from your door to the bedroom. However, the box can weigh anywhere from 80 to 175 pounds, so it’s best to have a friend help you. If not, you can always opt for white glove delivery which ensures easy setup.
Once you unpack and unroll the mattress, it should take up to 24 hours for the bed to reach its full size. You can sleep on it right away, but it may not perform as well until it decompresses. Any off-gassing odors you notice should be gone by the time the mattress decompresses and is ready for use.
- Eco-Friendly Certifications – This mattress has a GREENGUARD Gold certification that reflects the product’s ability to meet some of the world’s most rigorous emissions standards. In addition, the foams in this bed are CertiPUR-US® certified. CertiPUR-US® is a third-party program that ensures the foams meet rigorous health and safety standards. This means they don’t contain harmful substances like ozone depleters, PBDEs, heavy metals, formaldehyde, and phthalates. They should also have low volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions.
- Certified Natural Materials – The cotton and wool in this product are GOTS-certified, which means they meet the international third-party standard to be certified organic.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping – Shipping is free and only available within the contiguous United States.
- White Glove Delivery – Professional installation is available for an additional fee of 249 dollars. Removal of your old mattress is available in some areas.
- Trial – Shoppers can test out this mattress for up to a full year.
- Warranty – The company offers a 25-year warranty.
- Return Policy – Returns are free and easy, but you’re asked to keep the mattress for at least 30 days before returning it. If you’re still not happy with it, you can return it for a full refund.
Sizes & Prices
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 14”||$1,269|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 14”||$1,499|
|Full||54” x 75” x 14”||$1,599|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 14”||$1,839|
|King||76” x 80” x 14”||$2,399|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 14”||$2,399|
|Split King||38” x 80” x 14” (x2)||$2,998|
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the layers of Brentwood Oceano?
The Brentwood Home Oceano mattress is 14 inches tall, combining layers of wool, silk, foam, and coils. The layers work together to deliver a balance of comfort, support, and pressure relief.
What is the weight limit for the Brentwood Oceano mattress?
The Brentwood Oceano mattress has a weight limit of 400 pounds per person and 650 pounds for couples.
Where are Brentwood Home mattresses manufactured?
Brentwood Home mattresses are designed and manufactured in Los Angeles, California. This makes the Oceano a good option for those looking for a USA-made mattress. Brentwood’s USA-based manufacturing allows them to offer free shipping and returns.
Brentwood Home Oceano vs. Other Brands
Brentwood Home Oceano vs. Saatva Classic
- Pillow top
- Contouring memory foam
- Medium feel
- Euro top
- Two height options
- Three firmness options
Who We Recommend the Oceano For
- Average-weight sleepers
- Hot sleepers
- Back sleepers
Who We Recommend the Saatva Classic For
- Sleepers looking for options
- People with back pain
Read our Saatva Classic Mattress Review if you think the Saatva is right for you.
Brentwood Home Oceano vs. Layla Hybrid
- 14-inch profile
- Eco-friendly certifications
- Reinforced perimeter
- 13-inch profile
- Flippable design
- Copper infusions
Who We Recommend the Oceano For
- Back sleepers
- Heavy side sleepers
Who We Recommend the Layla Hybrid For
- Hot sleepers
- People looking for options
- Lightweight couples
Interested? Read our full Layla Hybrid Mattress Review.
Brentwood Home Oceano vs. Other Brentwood Home Models
Brentwood Home Oceano vs. Brentwood Home Crystal Cove
- Two coil units
- Gel-infused memory foam
- Up to 2,697 coils
- Flippable design
- Charcoal infusion
- Organic Dunlop latex
Who We Recommend the Oceano For
- People with hip pain
- Combination sleepers
Who We Recommend the Crystal Cove For
- Hot sleepers
- Latex fans
Explore our Crystal Cove Mattress Review.
Brentwood Home Oceano vs. Brentwood Home Hybrid Latex
- 14-inch profile
- Gentle contouring
- Bouncy and responsive
- 12-inch profile
- Patent-pending zoned latex
- Naturally breathable
Who We Recommend the Oceano For
- People with mobility issues
- Those who want a taller mattress
- Back sleepers
Who We Recommend the Hybrid Latex For
- Eco-conscious shoppers
- Side sleepers
The Oceano should be an excellent fit for most position preferences thanks to its eco-friendly materials and enhanced support.
Most side sleepers should find the plush cover and memory foam sufficient to relieve pressure. The zoned coils should allow enough give in the hips and shoulders to reduce pressure build-up in these areas. Those seeking enhanced relief may want to add the Oceano Memory Foam Mattress Topper for an even softer feel.
Back sleepers should enjoy good lumbar support and even weight distribution thanks to the zoned support in the bottom coils, along with the dense support foam. The versatile medium comfort level should appeal to most sleepers with this position preference.
Most stomach sleepers should be well-supported by the two coil systems. However, because the zoned design allows more give in the hip area, this could cause improper spinal alignment for these sleepers. Luckily, Brentwood offers a firm mattress topper that may remedy this.
The responsive dual-coil systems should aid repositioning for combination sleepers who change positions frequently throughout the night. The medium firmness, plus the balance of pressure relief and support, should make this bed feel comfy regardless of which position combo sleepers end up in.
This mattress has all of the features that couples need and love. Cooling, good edge support, bounce, and motion isolation should make this a good fit for most couples. The ability to split the King size also allows couples with different needs to have their individual needs met.
The company recommends a weight limit of 400 pounds for an individual or 650 pounds for couples. While hybrids are more durable and supportive for folks with weight considerations, most heavy sleepers will likely find this a tad too soft.
Sleepers on the lighter side should be very pleased with the plush pillow-top layer that allows their slender frames to sink into. Being on the softer side means that lighter folks should be able to sink in deeply enough to experience pressure relief and support from the dual-coil layers. Lightweight side sleepers may even want to add a soft topper for added plushness.
Average Weight Sleepers
Average-weight sleepers should get a good balance of contouring and support for a healthy sleep posture. The Oceano is good for those between 130 to 230 pounds as it allows a bit of sinkage to relieve the pressure in sensitive areas while the two coil units hold your body in perfect alignment.
Shoppers looking for a balance of support and comfort should appreciate the zoned coils in this product. The Ocean’s cooling and temperature-controlling properties also helps ensure sleepers don’t overheat as the pressure-relieving foam contours to the body. Enhanced edge support and good motion control should land this hybrid on any couple’s shopping list. The 1-year sleep trial, 25-year warranty, and reasonable price point considering the higher quality make the Oceano an incredible value.
The Oceano by Brentwood Home’s hybrid, eco-friendly design is an excellent choice for average-weight sleepers, couples, hot sleepers, and eco-conscious shoppers. The mattress has gel infusions, a reinforced perimeter, and two coil units that work together to distribute your weight evenly.
For those with hip and shoulder pain, the Ocean’s pillow top should be appealing as it helps with pressure relief.
However, heavyweight stomach sleepers and people on a tight budget may not be a good match for this mattress. The Oceano’s medium-firm feel may not provide enough support for those who sink into their mattress more. While it’s reasonably priced considering the quality, a Queen-size is almost $2,000 which may put this bed out of reach for some shoppers.
Olivera is a content writer for Sleep Advisor and is enthusiastic about sleep. She firmly believes in the benefits of daytime naps on top of getting a full 8-hour sleep at night.
She started writing in 2016 and never looked back. What she appreciates the most is her flexible working hours and the ability to work with people worldwide.
In her free time, Olivera enjoys reading Spanish literature, taking pilates classes, and trying out new cocktails with friends.