Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Does a vegan sleep option mean better rest?
Brentwood Home wants customers to get the best night’s sleep that money can afford. The brand is focused on selling handcrafted products made from natural materials, designed to promote a quality and eco-friendly sleeping experience.
The Brentwood Home Crystal Cove stands out, as it offers dual-sided firmness as well as zoned support for enhanced alignment. Users can flip the bed over for either a Luxury-Plush or Gentle-Firm feel.
Our in-depth overview of the Brentwood Home Crystal Cove Mattress covers these special features and more. This product is scored using our system that looks at aspects like cooling, motion transfer, and overall value.
If you are looking for a new bed option with support features along with quality comfort, keep reading to get all essential details. But if you are in a hurry, go ahead and skip along to our scoring and summary.
You will love this mattress if you:
- Like to switch things up – Overtime sleeping preferences can change, for this reason, a dual-sided mattress can be great. On one side sleepers get a Luxury-Plush feel, that really allows them to sink in. While the Gentle-Firm side fosters a gentle cradle that was designed to leave them feeling like they are floating on top.
- Are eco-friendly – Brentwood bedding gives customers the opportunity to save the earth one bed at a time. The materials in this product are GREENGUARD Gold and Certi-PUR-US® certified. It is also 100% certified vegan by Vegan Action, meaning no animal products or byproducts were used during construction.
- Like companies that give back – For each Crystal Cove Mattress sold the company builds one ReliefBed for charity. These are beds that have been designed and constructed for the homeless. In addition to this, the company donates to the National Forest Foundation for each mattress they sell online.
You might not like this mattress if you:
- Need an all memory foam feel – Although there are 2 inches of memory foam here, folks who prefer all-foam particularly like the minimized bounce. There is some bounce coming from the coils here, though, as well as some increased airflow that may help them stay cool.
Or you can see our top picks for 2020 here.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
Brentwood Home’s Crystal Cove Mattress compresses into a box and is shipped to the customers home. The bed is easily installed on a box spring, a slatted platform foundation, or an adjustable base.
The cover is a soft luxe stitched gray polyester blend. Beneath this are four layers that make up Crystal Cove’s 13-inch profile.
- The first layer is a 2-Inch All Natural Latex Layer that makes up the firm side. This foam has pin holes punctured throughout to help the material breathe, keeping the surface of the bed cooler for the sleeper.
- The second layer is an 8-inch Combi-Zone Coil Unit that has zoned support to better target support and alignment. The springs in this system are individually pocketed to help reduce motion transfer but maintain bounce.
- The third layer uses a 1-inch Flow Foam that has a softer feel. This material is there to help transfer the sleeper’s weight into the coils on the Luxury-Plush side.
- The final layer presents a 2-inch Charcoal-infused Memory Foam that makes up the Luxury-Plush comfort layer. This foam functions to destress joints and curves by washing away pressure. The use of charcoal should act as a cooling agent, allowing sleepers to stay cool and well rested.
The order of these layers is reversed when flipped to the Luxury-Plush side.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
At Sleep Advisor, we rate firmness on a scale from 1 to 10, where a 10 could be closely compared to a rock. This bed sports two firmnesses, the Luxury-Plush at a 4.5 to 5 and the Gentle-Firm at a 7. These two cover a range that should fit a majority of sleepers, no matter their sleeping position or body type.
The Luxury-Plush side of Crystal Cove is furnished with memory foam in the comfort layer, nestling the sleeper in a gentle cradle. This side should foster an experience with slightly less bounce than the latex side, but the coils in the middle should help repositioning sleepers roll over.
The Gentle-Firm supports better bounce than the opposite end. The latex foam on top helps sleeper rest in a minimal cradle and the responsive top makes repositioning a synch.
Back sleepers should be able to enjoy either side of this mattress. What these individuals look for is a bed that fills in the gap at the small of their back. The latex end may provide slightly more support for those individuals looking for extra alignment assistance.
Side sleepers often look for something that can provide a little extra pressure relief. For this reason, these folks might prefer the memory foam side as this material is great at wiping away strain in the shoulders and hips. Latex is also a great option for relieving pressure but the memory foam may be slightly better for people with this need.
Stomach sleepers like a bed that can support their hips, keeping them level with their shoulders. The zone-support coils allow this mattress to perform this function on either side, but the Luxury-Firm end may perform a tad better as the latex provides just a bit more support.
Between this product’s two firmnesses, this mattress should help most sleepers find the support and comfort they need from a bedding product. Each of Brentwood Home mattress has a weight consideration of 650 pounds or 325 pounds per side. If you and your partner exceed this, you might want to check out some of our best mattresses for heavier individuals.
If your sleeping partner has ever jumped into their side of the bed and you feel like you might just spring off and onto the floor, you likely know a thing or two about motion transfer because you are a light sleeper.
Keeping motion grounded to one side of the bed could be the key to a restful night’s sleep if you share a bed. You might think that a combination of rubber latex and coils make a bed prone to motion transfer but these materials actually do an excellent job at isolating these movements.
The coils have been individually pocketed to protect restful sleepers from motion transfer. The memory foam side of the bed should prevent motion transfer slightly better than the latex side, seeing as memory foam is a top option for motion isolation.
This is a feature many users forget to look out for. Mattresses that are built to order online often lack in this category because they were designed to compress and fit in a box. The Crystal Cove scores above this standard, allowing customers to rest comfortably situated on the edge.
This design uses reinforced coils along the perimeter so users should not feel like they are going to topple onto the floor. Whether you sleep, sit, or stand along the edge, you should feel supported and notice how strong these edges are.
- Dual Sided Firmness – Customers can rest on a Luxury-Plush firmness or flip the bed over to enjoy a Gentle-Firm feel.
- 1-Year Trial Period – Customers can try out this product for 365 days, and if it does not fit their expectations they can return it for a full refund.
- Warranty – Customers get a 25-year refund when they purchase a Brentwood Home mattress.
- Shipping – Free shipping is available within the contiguous United States.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – These certified foams are constructed with safe amounts of formaldehyde, ozone depleters, heavy metals.
- GREENGUARD Gold Certified – This third-party certification signals that this product adheres to a construction process that uses a standard level of chemicals and pollutants.
- Optional White Glove Delivery – This surface provides in-home setup of your new bed and removal of your old mattress.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Made in the USA
- Charitable Contributions – For each product that is sold, the brand builds a ReliefBed for the homeless. They also send a donation to the National Forest Foundation to plant 3 new trees.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||75" x 39" x 13"||$895.00|
|Twin XL||80" x 39" x 13"||$949.00|
|Full||75" x 54" x 13"||$1,095.00|
|Queen||80" x 60" x 13"||$1,295.00|
|King||80" x 76" x 13"||$1,695.00|
|Cali King||84" x 72" x 13"||$1,695.00|
|Split King||80" x 39" x 13" (x2)||$1,895.00|
This environmentally conscious brand does it again with their Crystal Cove mattress. Brentwood Home offers 2 beds in 1: Luxury-Soft memory foam on one side and Gentle-Firm on the other.
Whether you like a firmer feel or like more of a sink in your bed, the Crystal Cove Mattress performs. And if you are looking for more than comfort from your bed, this product helps you go-green with a combination of several certifications that work towards reducing this brand’s carbon footprint.
If you are ready to help save the earth with a comfortable mattress, you may not need to look any further than Brentwood Home. If the Crystal Cove is not your speed, the company has several other natural sleep products that could work for you.
Author: Sleep Advisor
Our team covers as many areas of expertise as we do time zones, but none of us started here as a so-called expert on sleep. What we do share is a willingness to ask questions (lots of them), seek experts, and dig deep into conventional wisdom to see if maybe there might be a better path towards healthy living. We apply what we learn not only to our company culture, but also how we deliver information to our over 12.7M readers.
Sleep research is changing all the time, and we are 100% dedicated to keeping up with breakthroughs and innovations. You live better if you sleep better. Whatever has brought you here, we wish you luck on your journey towards better rest.