Does a vegan sleep option mean better rest?
Brentwood Home wants customers to get the best night’s sleep that money can afford. The brand is focused on selling handcrafted products made from natural materials designed to promote a quality and eco-friendly sleeping experience.
The Brentwood Home Crystal Cove stands out as it offers dual-sided firmness as well as zoned support for enhanced alignment. In addition, users can flip the bed over for either a plush or firm feel.
Our in-depth overview of the Brentwood Home Crystal Cove Mattress covers these special features and more. This product is scored using our system that looks at aspects like cooling, motion transfer, and overall value.
If you are looking for a new bed option with support features and quality comfort, keep reading to get all the essential details. However, if you are in a hurry, go ahead and skip along to our scoring and summary.
Excellent Matches For Crystal Cove
- Variety seekers – On one side, sleepers get a plush feel while the firmer side focuses on responsive support.
- Environmentalists – Brentwood Home gives customers the opportunity to save the Earth one bed at a time. The materials in this product are GREENGUARD Gold and Certi-PUR-US® certified. It is also 100% certified vegan by Vegan Action, meaning no animal products or byproducts were used during construction.
- Those who appreciate companies that give back – For each Crystal Cove Mattress sold, the company builds one ReliefBed for charity. These are beds that have been designed and constructed for the homeless. Additionally, the company donates to the National Forest Foundation for each mattress they sell online.
Possible Crystal Cove Considerations:
- It’s not an all-foam bed. – Although there is a total of 5 inches of foam layers in the Crystal Cove mattress with both memory and latex materials, it is still a hybrid that also incorporates the use of a coil unit. Folks who prefer all-foam beds usually enjoy the minimized bounce. The coils may provide more bounce, but they also deliver more airflow, an advantage for those who typically sleep hot. The eco-friendly, health-conscious construction makes this a highly valuable bed, and the company offers a year-long trial period for you to test out the feel of a hybrid bed before committing to the price.
Construction: What’s inside the Crystal Cove?
Brentwood Home’s Crystal Cove Mattress compresses into a box and is shipped to the customer’s home. The bed is easily installed on a box spring, a slatted platform foundation, or an adjustable base.
The top of this mattress features a stitched gray cover made with a polyester blend and is designed in the style of the company’s yoga collection. The Crystal Cove has a 13-inch profile in total. For this construction breakdown, we will cover the layers of the Restorative Plush (softer) side, which reverse if you flip the bed over.
- The top layer of the softer side is 1 inch of Flow Foam. This plush layer is designed to conform to your body to relieve achy muscles and joints.
- Below the Flow Foam is 2 inches of Charcoal-Infused Memory Foam. The charcoal provides a natural cooling method to prevent the memory foam from becoming too hot.
- The innerspring unit is made with 8-inch ActivEdge™ Quantum® Edge coils. The 975 individually pocketed coils are made from upcycled steel and have a reinforced perimeter for edge support.
- The final layer of the softer soft is a 2-Inch All Natural Latex Layer that is GOLS certified organic and produced with the Dunlop process, which means it is slightly denser. If you flip the bed over, this becomes the top of the Responsive Support (firmer) side of the mattress.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
The Restorative Plush side of Crystal Cove is furnished with Flow Foam and memory foam in the comfort layers, nestling the sleeper in a gentle cradle. This side should provide less bounce than the latex side, but the coils in the middle should make rolling over to reposition easier.
The Responsive Support side delivers better bounce than the opposite end. The latex foam on top helps the sleeper rest in a minimal cradle, and the responsive top makes repositioning a synch.
Firmness Scale: 4.5-5/10 (Restorative Plush) 7/10 (Responsive Support)
You come home from a long day at work ready to rest, only to discover aches and pains flaring up as you lie down. This is because certain parts of the body can become sensitive to weight pressure, often leading to an uncomfortable experience. These are known as pressure points, and it is vital to have a bed constructed with pressure relief in mind.
The Restorative Plush side features two comfort layers aimed at alleviating this issue. The first is the Flow Foam, a plush layer that’s made to contour to your body so you can rest in a relaxing cradle and not be bothered by pressure points.
Memory foam is a popular bedding material thanks to its ability to provide supreme pressure relief. Below the Flow Foam on the bed’s plush side is 2 inches of memory foam infused with charcoal for added cooling and contouring.
Meanwhile, the latex layer on the Responsive Support side offers zoned pressure relief.
Support is another critical factor in a bed’s design because it helps keep the spine in good alignment. When the spine becomes maligned, this can lead to long-term pain and bad posture.
A bed with robust support can help ensure that the heavier parts of the body don’t sink too deeply, which can throw off alignment.
The central support feature of this bed is the impressive ActivEdge™ Quantum® Edge 8-inch thick innerspring unit. These 975 pocketed coils have zoned support for two major areas, the hips and shoulders.
Multiple Firmness Options
This dual-sided mattress gives you two firmness options in one convenient product. For those who need a softer feel, you can access the Restorative Plush side of the bed, while those who enjoy something more firm can simply flip the mattress over and use the Responsive Support side.
Optional White Glove Delivery
For an additional $249, you can have a team of professionals deliver and set up your new Crystal Cove mattress. For $275, the team will also remove your old mattress. Depending on where you live, this may be impacted by the Covid-19 pandemic, and if that’s the case, your White Glove Delivery fee will be refunded.
If your sleeping partner has ever jumped into their side of the bed and you feel like you might just spring off and onto the floor, you likely know a thing or two about motion transfer because you are a light sleeper. The coils have been individually pocketed to protect restful sleepers from motion transfer. The memory foam side of the bed should prevent motion transfer slightly better than the latex side, as memory foam is a top option for motion isolation.
Memory foam has a tendency to get hot, so to prevent this, Brentwood Home applied the use of charcoal as a natural coolant for the memory layer. Additionally, the coils in the innerspring should further help keep you cool by creating airflow throughout the mattress.
Exceptional Edge Support
Mattresses built to order online often lack in this category because they were designed to compress and fit in a box—the Crystal Cove scores above this standard, allowing customers to rest comfortably situated on the edge. This design uses reinforced coils along the perimeter, so users should not feel like they will topple onto the floor. Whether you sleep, sit, or stand along the edge, you should feel supported and notice how strong these edges are.
For those who value an environmentally conscious bed, this brand outshines among the competition. The Crystal Cove has multiple safety and eco-friendly certifications, including CertiPUR-US®, Greenguard Gold, eco-INSTITUT, and GOLS. Additionally, this mattress has been certified 100 percent vegan by Vegan Action.
Adjustable Base Compatible
This mattress works well with most types of frames, including adjustable bases.
Handcrafted in the USA
The foams in this bed are CertiPUR-US® certified, which means they meet health and standards for VOC (volatile organic compound) emissions. The bed is also eco-INSTITUT certified to meet strict requirements for emissions and pollutants. This bed is also GREENGUARD Gold certified, representing the strictest standards in the world for chemical exposure and pollutants.
Certified Natural Materials
The latex in this bed is GOLS certified organic, and the bed has been certified as 100 percent vegan by Vegan Action.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping - Shipping is free and only available within the contiguous United States.
- White-Glove Delivery - You can pay an additional fee of $249 to have a team of professionals install your new mattress or pay $275 to have them also remove your old one. At this time, White Glove Delivery may not be available in some areas due to local government restrictions regarding the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Trial - The trial period for this mattress is 365 days.
- Warranty - The Crystal Cove is covered by a 25-year warranty.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||39" x 75" x 13"||$899|
|Twin XL||39" x 80" x 13"||$949|
|Full||54" x 75" x 13"||$1,099|
|Queen||60" x 80" x 13"||$1,299|
|King||76" x 80" x 13"||$1,699|
|Cali King||72" x 84" x 13"||$1,699|
|Split King||39" x 80" x 13" (x2)||$1,899|
This environmentally conscious brand does it again with their Crystal Cove mattress. Brentwood Home offers two beds in 1: a plush option with memory foam on one side and a firmer feel with latex on the other.
Side sleepers often look for something that can provide extra pressure relief. For this reason, these folks might prefer the memory foam side as this material is great at wiping away strain in the shoulders and hips. Latex is also an excellent option for relieving pressure, but memory foam may be slightly better for people with this need.
Back sleepers should be able to enjoy either side of this mattress. What these individuals look for is a bed that fills in the gap at the small of their back. The latex end may provide slightly more support for those individuals looking for extra alignment assistance.
Stomach sleepers like a bed that can support their hips, keeping them level with their shoulders. The zone-support coils allow this mattress to perform this function on either side, but the firmer end may perform a tad better as the latex provides just a bit more support.
The variety that this dual-sided hybrid bed offers is incredibly advantageous for combination sleepers. While the plush side may work nicely for those times you want to sleep on your side, it may not be as comfortable on your tummy. In this case, merely flip the bed over for a firmer, more conducive side for stomach sleeping.
While different firmness choices are beneficial, couples also need to consider other important factors such as motion isolation and edge support. Motion isolation helps prevent your movements from waking your partner during the night, while edge support allows for the use of the bed’s entire surface space. This bed should do well on both accounts.
Heavier sleepers typically do best with firmer beds that minimize their chances of sinking too deep into the layers. Unfortunately, this means they’re likely to only use one size of this mattress and not be able to enjoy its dual-sided capabilities. With that in mind, heavy sleepers may want to consider a bed specifically designed for larger frames.
This bed should do well among lightweight individuals. Those who weigh significantly less usually prefer softer mattresses, which means the plush side should suit these sleepers well. However, those who sleep on their stomach may also utilize the firmer option if need be.
This bed packs a lot into one product with two firmness choices and the advantages of coils and multiple foam materials. Adding to the value, though, is the company’s high standards for the health and safety of their products and the planet.