Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Looking for a comfortable, affordable starter mattress? Want a budget-friendly versatile choice to round out your guest room?
Amazon offers a simple all-foam mattress that should appeal to most sleep types at an affordable price. Ordering, shipping, and set up are easier than ever when purchasing through Amazon’s online store.
This overview of the AmazonBasics bed will take a deep dive into the construction and features of this bed. We’ll give you ideas as to who it should appeal to and why. Scores based on comfort, quality, cooling, and more will give you an idea of how this product should perform in person.
Keep reading for our full analysis of this bed, or skip to the end for our final wrap-up and rankings.
You will love AmazonBasics if you:
- Want incredible savings – This mattress is sold at an exceptionally competitive budget price point, making it easily affordable to most shoppers. The low cost of this purchase should make it a great option for a starter bed or for children or guest rooms.
- Like contouring and pressure relief – The plush top foam layer should provide pressure relief that eases pushback, especially in the shoulders and hips when the shopper is lying on their side. The materials should contour slightly to provide a gentle cradle.
- Want a temperature neutral feel – The materials in this mattress are designed to promote airflow, which should allow for a little bed cooling. Overall, the AmazonBasics should feel temperature neutral —not too hot, not too cold.
You might not like AmazonBasics if you:
- Are a heavier sleeper – The simpler construction of this item may not allow for enough stability when used by a shopper over 250 pounds. Some stomach sleepers may also experience sinkage in the hip area. A bed with an enhanced support system may be preferable, and heavier folks should definitely steer towards the 12-inch version of this mattress.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
AmazonBasics is an all-foam, bed-in-a-box product. The mattress should be able to be used on any flat surface, though it more firm support and slats that are close together are advised to provide proper stability to the mattress.
This product features two covers. The outer cover is polyester while the inner cover is made up of viscose and glass fiber. The cover can be removed though it is recommended to spot clean it.
There are 3 different heights available, 8, 10, and 12 inches. The construction of each model should be relatively similar, with the thicknesses of each layer varying slightly to create the overall differences in height. We will discuss the construction of the 12-inch model below.
- The top layer consists of a 3-inch Memory Foam. This layer should feel plush and is meant to provide pressure relief to the sleeper.
- The second layer holds a 2-inch Punched Soft Foam. The punched holes are designed to promote airflow to reduce overheating. This should also serve as a transition between the comfort and support layers.
- The third layer is a 3-inch Profile Cut Hard Foam. This convoluted polyurethane foam should promote airflow and provides a foundation to the rest of the mattress.
- The final layer is a repeat of the above, 3 inches of Profile Cut Hard Foam to increase the stability of the base.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
Using our firmness comfort scale, which assigns values of 1 through 10 to beds to determine how they should feel, this product has a score of 5. This should feel like a true medium to most shoppers, which could suit any position preference depending on the sleeper’s individual needs.
Lying on the cover should feel smooth and somewhat plush, especially once the comfort layer begins to gently cradle the sleeper. Some pressure relief should be present due to the softer, top memory foam layer.
AmazonBasics should offer some bounce, more than a classic memory foam product, but less than an innerspring. The top foam may be somewhat slow to respond, but the minimal sinkage and faster responding lower foams should prevent combination sleepers (see top picks for combo sleepers) from feeling as though they are fighting with the mattress to move around.
Most back sleepers should experience a medium feel and a gentle cradle that allows their weight to be distributed fairly evenly. Shoppers should float on top, allowing air to reach the body to promote cooling.
Most stomach sleepers prefer a firmer feel to avoid sinkage of the hips. Some heavier stomach sleepers may experience this sinkage, which could impede proper alignment of the spine. Lighter stomach sleepers should do just fine on this mattress.
Side sleepers should experience slightly deeper sinkage in the shoulders and hips than the rest of the body. These areas add concentrated pressure, allowing them to burrow a little deeper into the bed. The softer comfort layer should allow for adequate pressure relief for most side sleepers.
There is no specific weight limit for this bed. However, sleepers over 250 pounds may not receive adequate support and may want to seek out a sturdier option.
For even more picks, see our “best” list.
AmazonBasics provides enhanced motion control as the layers of foam absorb movement. This should allow couples to sleep peacefully through the night, reducing disruptions from restless partners.
This mattress performs as expected for an all-foam bed in the area of edge support. Shoppers experience some compression when lying down with a deeper compression when sitting. The materials should provide enough support that people should not feel as though they will roll off or bottom out when lying on the edge.
- Multiple Height Options – Buyers can choose between 12, 10, and 8-inch beds to find the product that works best in their space.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – The materials in this product are certified to have safely minimal levels of additives and chemicals like lead or nickel.
- OEKO-Tex® Certified – This certification promises low VOC emissions and that the product is safe for children to use.
|Twin||39” x 75” x 12”|
|Full||54” x 75” x 12”|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12”|
|King||76” x 80” x 12”|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 12”|
Shoppers choosing AmazonBasics should receive a good starter bed that is affordable and comfortable for lighter sleepers.
This option should make a great option for a child, teen, or guest bedroom. College students or couples just starting out can enjoy excellent savings on this medium feeling mattress. Pressure relief and enhanced motion control add some bang for the buck.
Author: Sarah Cummings
I think we’re all nerds, but I’m probably the biggest nerd in the group. Put me nose deep in a spreadsheet and I'll start smiling.
I love to travel, hang out with positive people, and love cycling when I find the time!
My hope is that everyone who visits our site will walk away with a fresh perspective. I think too many people in society downplay the importance of sleep. In my opinion, it’s the difference between an average life and an amazing one.