Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Can one foam mattress accommodate both an NFL linebacker and a petite ballerina without sacrificing support or comfort? Zotto believes it can.
The Zotto mattress, which launched in 2015, started as a conversation between friends at a barbeque about how much they liked the feel of memory foam on sore joints, but memory beds they had found slept too hot. Zotto’s founders set to work to create a prototype that could deliver on comfort for a diverse population of body sizes without overheating.
Our in-depth Zotto review will take you between the foam layers to see if these claims hold up. Our scoring system includes both necessities and preferences, from pressure relief and support to motion isolation and cooling.
Join us as we dig deep into this all-foam bed or proceed to our final score and summary.
You will love Zotto if you:
- Need pressure relief – Zotto’s top foams were designed for a body to slowly sink into and to melt away pressure that can develop in the hips, shoulders, and knees, especially for side sleepers. The strategic foam layering aims to deliver a balance of support and comfort for the whole body regardless of weight. It is a more uniform take on the traditional memory foam hug experience.
- Are a couple – The versatility of this mattress’ firmness level and its ability to comfortably relieve pressure for a variety of weights makes it an ideal choice for couples, especially those who have very different body shapes and sleep needs.
- Sleep hot – The top layer of foam has incorporated two different phase change materials that absorb and remove heat when you are hot and return it when you start to get too cool, maintaining a more consistent and comfortable temperature that should not overheat. You can learn more about that in our cooling beds article.
You might not like Zotto if you:
- Want a lot of bounce – Zotto is a mattress that you will slowly sink into for some top-notch pressure relief, and it does have some deep-level bounce coming from the transition and base layers to help with repositioning without a lot of motion transfer. However, the feel of this bed will be very different from the more pronounced bounce found in many innerspring mattresses.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
Zotto is an all-foam bed-in-a-box option that ships direct from a U.S.-based factory. The company recommends frames with slats less than 4 inches apart, traditional box springs, platforms, or even the floor. The bed is also compatible with adjustable bases.
The poly-rayon tufted cover is soft, and the four-way stretch maintains its shape when pulled in multiple directions. This cover is one of the few in this industry that is both fully removable and machine washable.
The four-layer mattress stands 10 inches tall.
- The first layer is the 2-inch ThermaPhase Comfort Layer, designed to include two different phase-change materials that maintain a comfortable temperature by carrying heat away when the body feels too hot and releasing it when the body becomes too cool. The foam is a proprietary blend of materials that offers the hugging pressure relief of memory foam with an overall slower response that is slightly quicker than traditional memory materials.
- The second layer is a 2-inch CoolFlow Support Layer that assists with pressure relief and support, and it has a similar feel to memory foam. It has an open cell structure for improved airflow that helps with cooling.
- The third layer is a 2-inch Transition Layer infused with Energex™, which is similar to latex. It is quicker responding and has a localized bounce that should not reverberate and disturb your partner. It helps prevent the sleeper from sinking too far into the mattress.
- The fourth layer is a 4-inch Base Layer of high-density foam that forms the bed’s foundation and structure, as well as the bed’s longevity and the sleeper’s support.
The company is currently working to patent what they call Z3™ Difference, the proprietary blend and order of the first three foams that are engaged depending on weight to deliver only as much support as is needed and the same comfortable pressure-relieving sleep experience for any size user.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
We scored this Zotto at a 6 on our firmness scale, out of 10 with 10 being the firmest. This places the mattress right in the versatile medium to medium-firm range, which is compatible with many different sleepers and sleep positions.
The tufted cover is soft and plush, but thin enough that you do feel and interact with the foams below it. Lying down on this bed, you will notice that it feels firm at first while the ThermaPhase foam slowly reacts to your body’s weight, allowing you to sink in for the deep hug we associate with classic memory foam. The transition layer should prevent you from sinking too deep and feeling hemmed in.
The company’s proprietary foam layers are capable of cradling and supporting different body weights, so the sinkage should feel uniform and your back should be held in a straight alignment in multiple positions. The phase change materials in the top layer maintain a comfortable temperature and alleviate some of the heat retention associated with memory-like foams.
This mattress has some deep level bounce from the transition and base layers, with less from the layers on top. Overall, the bounce is minimal compared to an innerspring, so repositioning may require slightly more effort. Most sleepers should not have a problem changing positions, but it is something to consider if you regularly struggle with movement.
Most combination sleepers, who tend to shift around at night, will appreciate this bed’s accommodative foams that are suitable for many sleep positions.
Most back sleepers will feel contouring from the comfort layers in their lower back while the transition and base levels work to keep their spine aligned.
This bed is exceptional for side sleepers who usually need more pressure relief because their weight tends to be concentrated onto a smaller surface area which creates pressure points. In this sleep position, you should feel next to no pressure in your hips and shoulders.
Most stomach sleepers will be able to sleep on this mattress comfortably without feeling like their hips are sinking too deep into the mattress and holding their body at an awkward angle. Exclusive stomach sleepers, especially those who carry extra weight in their midsections, may prefer a slightly firmer bed.
Many beds that provide good pressure relief for larger bodies feel too firm for more petite frames because their weight cannot push through the layers. Beds that are soft enough for smaller sleepers often do not provide enough support for bigger people. The patent-pending layers in Zotto are designed to provide a more consistent feel for a wider range of body sizes and shapes.
For even more great options, see top brands by category.
All-foam mattresses tend to really shine in this category because of their ability to absorb vibration, and Zotto is not an exception to this general rule. Also, the minimal amount of bounce this bed contains is more localized, which means it does not spread to the other side to potentially disturb a light sleeping partner.
Most beds that have been compressed into boxes typically do not have added rigidity along their edges, so some compression when sitting with your full weight on the edge of the bed is to be expected.
Lying down on the side of the Zotto, you should feel consistent contouring and support similar to the center of the bed and should not feel as if you will roll out. This may be an important feature to consider if you share a bed and need to stretch out over more space.
- Trial Period – There is a 100-night money back guarantee. Try the mattress for 30 days, and if you do not like it, the company will arrange to have it donated and give you a full refund.
- Warranty – The warranty on this product is 10 years long.
- Shipping – Free shipping is available within the continental U.S. through FedEx.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – A third-party organization tested the mattress for dangerous chemicals and heavy metals like VOCs, formaldehyde, and lead.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||39” x 75” x 10”||$650|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 10”||$700|
|Full||54” x 75” x 10”||$850|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 10”||$975|
|King||76” x 84” x 10”||$1095|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 10”||$1095|
Zotto is an excellent choice for someone in the market for excellent pressure relief that will not overheat.
Zotto’s all-foam mattress strives to strike a perfect balance between comfort and support regardless of your body’s shape or size. It provides an excellent classic memory bed feeling that melts pressure points away without being too overwhelming.
The ThermaPhase Comfort Layer offers two times the phase change materials that should never get too hot or too cold. The carefully thought out layering was designed to deliver only as much support as you need and all the pressure relief you could want.
If you are a couple with differing sleep needs who is struggling to compromise or are not sure what comfort level you are looking for, Zotto promises a mattress to suit every preference and will give you 100 free nights on the mattress to see if it works for you.
Author: Sleep Advisor
Our team covers as many areas of expertise as we do time zones, but none of us started here as a so-called expert on sleep. What we do share is a willingness to ask questions (lots of them), seek experts, and dig deep into conventional wisdom to see if maybe there might be a better path towards healthy living. We apply what we learn not only to our company culture, but also how we deliver information to our over 12.7M readers.
Sleep research is changing all the time, and we are 100% dedicated to keeping up with breakthroughs and innovations. You live better if you sleep better. Whatever has brought you here, we wish you luck on your journey towards better rest.