Puffy is one of the best options if you’re after a high-quality memory foam mattress, but have you tried their mattress toppers? The Puffy Deluxe mattress topper is available in six standard sizes, and you can also choose between two firmness options.
Puffy offers bedding, bed frames, mattress protectors, and toppers, among others. The Deluxe topper is a perfect match with all of their mattresses, but it also works on other mattress brands. With two firmness options, you have a chance to make your existing mattress firmer or softer.
Not only this topper changes the way your mattress feels, but it can also prolong its life by protecting it from wear and tear. Wondering how it feels? We’ll go over all the details, explaining the feel, firmness, who we think it is best for, and some preference-based features like temperature, durability, cleaning, and off-gassing.
Who Is the Puffy Deluxe Mattress Topper Best for?
Asking yourself a few simple questions can help you decide whether the Puffy Deluxe mattress topper is right for you. For example, how do you feel about memory foam? This topper is made entirely out of memory foam and may not be your best choice if you’re not a fan of the material. Next, are you prone to allergies? The topper is hypoallergenic and could help you sleep without irritation.
Who Might Like the Puffy Deluxe Mattress Topper:
- Allergy-prone people – The Puffy Deluxe is made from hypoallergenic materials and has a removable and washable cover, so it’s a good option for people who struggle with allergies.
- Back sleepers – Back sleepers should appreciate the firmer version of this topper, providing extra support for the lower back area and preventing it from sinking down to the mattress.
- Side sleepers – Side sleepers may want to consider the softer version as it allows more contouring and cushioning to relieve pressure in the hips, knees, and shoulders.
Who Might Not Like the Puffy Deluxe Mattress Topper:
- People over 230 pounds – Sleepers weighing over 230 pounds are likely to find this topper too soft, even in the firm version. They may bottom out to the mattress, especially when sleeping on their stomach and side.
- Stomach sleepers – Stomach sleepers need substantial support to keep the hips from sinking too deeply. The Puffy Deluxe is likely too soft, so stomach sleepers may experience their hips sinking, which can result in back pain.
- Those who don’t like memory foam – This Puffy topper is made entirely out of foam and may not be the best choice if memory foam is not your favorite material.
Sleep Advisor’s Testing Methodology
When testing a mattress topper, we try various sleeping positions to see how the topper feels and adapts to movement in each posture. Additionally, we assess qualities like temperature regulation and durability, among others, to help shoppers decide if this is the right choice for them.
What is the Puffy Deluxe Mattress Topper Made of?
The Puffy Deluxe mattress topper has a removable and washable cover made from a polyester and bamboo rayon blend. The blend consists of 40 percent bamboo rayon and 60 percent polyester. In addition, it has deep pockets to secure it so that it doesn’t move around your bed, on top of having anti-slip grips on the underside of the cover.
The cover is easy to remove and put back on, making it simple to keep clean without the struggle of spot-cleaning.
The Puffy Deluxe topper’s comfort layer is a 2.5-inch block of memory foam. The foam performs as you’d expect conventional memory foam to, allowing a gentle cradle and slow response for comfortable pressure relief. However, this foam can feel different, depending on the firmness level you choose.
The Puffy Deluxe mattress topper is 2.5 inches tall, which is on the thinner side, considering some models are up to 4 inches tall. Nonetheless, 2.5 inches seems to be enough in this case, as the topper has just enough softness to relieve pressure and just enough firmness to keep the body aligned.
Puffy Mattress Topper Firmness & Feel
This mattress topper comes in two firmness options, allowing you to choose based on the bed you have and your preferred sleeping position. The softer version is excellent for making your firm bed feel softer, whereas the firmer model is a good option to make your soft bed feel more supportive. Which one you’ll choose depends on the bed you have and what you’re trying to achieve.
Both firmnesses are good for side and back sleepers, although the firmer model may be better for average-weight back sleepers who need a bit more support.
We tested the soft model on a firmer mattress, but keep in mind how a topper feels will also depend on your weight and preferred sleeping position. The Puffy Deluxe topper has a slow response and doesn’t immediately feel as soft as we had expected. The foam takes a while to conform to the body, but once it does, it contours and cushions the curves just enough. The firmer version is likely to feel a bit less contouring, though, especially for side sleepers.
The topper feels different on various mattresses. We’d say it feels best on a medium to medium-firm bed, giving a plush top, which could be beneficial for people who need extra pressure relief. However, keep in mind you’re likely to still feel the firmness of the bed underneath.
Sleeping on the Puffy Deluxe Mattress Topper
Lying on the Puffy Deluxe feels cushioning and comfortable. The foam hugs your body slowly, almost too slow for you to feel any sinkage. However, you’ll soon experience extra pressure relief from the gentle hug the topper provides.
Getting in and out of bed depends on the extract mattress you pair it with. Putting a soft topper on a soft bed will likely make you feel trapped. It may also make it difficult to get in and out of the bed.
One thing we didn’t like is how the topper feels for stomach sleeping. Even average-weight stomach sleepers are likely to sink too deeply and wake up with lower back pain.
Explore our top picks for the best mattress toppers for back pain.
|Weight||Side Sleepers||Back Sleepers||Stomach Sleepers
|Lightweight Sleepers (-130 lbs)||★★★||★★★||★☆☆|
|Average-Weight Sleepers (130-230 lbs)||★★☆||★★★||☆☆☆|
|Heavyweight Sleepers (+230 lbs)||☆☆☆||☆☆☆||☆☆☆|
- Lightweight Sleepers – Lightweight side sleepers should like the sinkage that the soft version of this topper provides. The Puffy hugs the curves, preventing pressure from building up in the hips, knees, and shoulders.
- Average Weight Sleepers – Average-weight side sleepers may sink deeper, so they’re likely to feel more of the bed underneath. However, they should still find the topper comfortable, especially those weighing closer to 130 pounds.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Heavy side sleepers should sink through the topper, especially the soft model we tested. They’re unlikely to get any pressure relief or support.
- Lightweight Sleepers – Back sleepers weighing under 130 pounds should find sufficient support even in the soft version of the Puffy topper. The topper feels comfortable in this position, contouring the lower back while ensuring proper spine alignment.
- Average Weight Sleepers – Average-weight back sleepers should experience a tad more sinkage, making this a great option for those who need extra pressure relief.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Heavy back sleepers may want to test the firmer model, although those significantly over 230 pounds are likely to prefer an entirely different topper.
- Lightweight Sleepers – Even stomach sleepers under 130 pounds may find this topper too soft. The Puffy may work for some people in this group, but most may want to consider the firmer version for stomach sleeping.
- Average Weight Sleepers – Average-weight stomach sleepers should experience this topper as even softer, sinking entirely through to the mattress underneath.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Heavy stomach sleepers should look for another topper as even the firmer version is likely to feel too soft.
Puffy Deluxe Mattress Topper Sizing Options & Pricing
|Weight||Side Sleepers||Back Sleepers||Stomach Sleepers
|Lightweight Sleepers (-130 lbs)||★★☆||★★★||★☆☆|
|Average-Weight Sleepers (130-230 lbs)||★★★||★★★||★☆☆|
|Heavyweight Sleepers (+230 lbs)||★☆☆||★☆☆||☆☆☆|
Sleep Advisor’s Performance Ratings for the Puffy Deluxe Mattress Topper
The Puffy Deluxe topper has good cooling thanks to the bamboo in its cover. Bamboo is naturally cooling, so it’s unlikely the topper could overheat. However, it’s not excellent, and those who tend to sleep extremely hot may find this not enough for them to sleep comfortably.
The topper does a good job of adding support and pressure relief to your mattress. The soft version allows a bit more sinkage, but the slow-responding feel ensures there’s enough support to keep your body aligned. The firmer model should feel even more supportive.
This topper is made from a single layer of foam that feels dense and durable. The cover is also well-made and seems like it won’t rip or tear as easily. Plus, the features added to keep the topper in place ensure it doesn’t rub against the mattress, which can often result in wear and tear.
The Puffy Deluxe feels comfortable in multiple sleeping positions, although it may not be the best option for stomach sleeping. The slow response allows a gentle cradle, letting you sink enough to experience pressure relief in the hips, lower back, knees, and shoulders.
This topper works best with Puffy mattresses, but we’d say it would work equally well with other models as well. You’re safe to use it on any bed up to 15 inches tall. Fitting it should be easy as the topper has deep pockets and a non-slip bottom that helps keep it in place.
Since it’s made from memory foam, this Puffy topper has some off-gassing you’ll feel upon opening the package. This is slightly noticeable, but people sensitive to scents may want to give it a day or two for the off-gassing odors to evaporate.
The cover is made from bamboo and polyester, so it has hypoallergenic properties. As such, it prevents bacteria and dust mites from developing. However, it doesn’t have any certifications.
Cleaning & Care
As said, the cover is removable and washable, making it easy to keep the sleeping surface clean. One thing to keep in mind is that removing and putting the cover back on is easy and should take only a few minutes. However, the topper itself isn’t washable.
Sleep Trial & Warranty
The Puffy comes with an industry-leading lifetime warranty. Shoppers also have 101 nights to test how the topper fits their needs and preferences. If they don’t like it, it’s important to note that returns are free and easy.
Puffy Deluxe Mattress Topper Frequently Asked Questions
Is the Puffy mattress topper made of memory foam?
Yes, the Puffy Deluxe mattress topper is made from memory foam. The foam allows a nice hug, but you’ll notice you’re sinking slowly as the topper takes time to adapt to your curves. There is some off-gassing coming from the memory foam, but it should dissipate within a day or two.
How thick is the Puffy topper?
The Puffy topper is 2.5 inches thick, so it could be considered a thinner topper. Although an average height of a mattress topper is 2 to 4 inches, this one is only slightly over the lowest number.
How long is the trial for the Puffy mattress topper?
The Puffy topper comes with a 101-night trial, giving you plenty of time to test how you like it. If you decide you don’t like it, you can return it for free within the trial period. The company offers a full refund for those who return the topper before the trial is up.
How Does the Puffy Deluxe Mattress Topper Compare to Other Mattress Toppers?
Puffy Deluxe Mattress Topper vs. Saatva Graphite Memory Foam Topper
Who Should Get the Puffy Deluxe Mattress Topper?
- Budget shoppers
- Those who want several firmness options
- Side sleepers
Who Should Get the Saatva Graphite Memory Foam Topper?
- Hot sleepers
- Luxury shoppers
- Those who want a thicker topper
For more on Saatva’s topper, visit our Saatva Graphite Memory Foam topper review.
Puffy Deluxe Mattress Topper vs. Casper Comfy Topper
Casper Mattress Topper
A cozy topper that could be great for those in need of extra pressure relief.
Who Should Get the Puffy Deluxe Mattress Topper?
- Back sleepers
- Those who need a longer trial
- Lightweight sleepers
Who Should Get the Casper Comfy Topper?
- Hot sleepers
- People with pressure buildup
- Those after a medium-firm topper
For more on Casper’s topper, visit our Casper Comfy mattress topper review.
Our Final Thoughts on the Puffy Deluxe Mattress Topper
Does the Puffy Deluxe mattress topper sound like something you’d benefit from? It does a good job of changing how a mattress feels without canceling it out completely. In other words, we could still feel the bed underneath, but it now felt a bit more comfortable.
This topper has multiple benefits, making it a good option for many people. To start, it comes at an affordable price, so it should work for people with a limited budget. In addition, it’s built with a slow-responding memory foam that offers excellent pressure relief.
Although it lacks a bit of cooling and is on the thinner side compared to other toppers, it offers a good change if you’re looking to make your bed feel a bit softer (or firmer if you go for the firmer model). Our overall score for this topper is 4.1 out of 5.
Olivera is a content writer for Sleep Advisor and is enthusiastic about sleep. She firmly believes in the benefits of daytime naps on top of getting a full 8-hour sleep at night.