Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
If you are on a tight budget but do not want to sacrifice a good night’s sleep, Brooklyn Bedding has introduced the Bowery, a great new bed-in-a-box offered at a terrific value.
The reason this company can afford to put such good quality materials into a bed at this price is they handle all of their development and manufacturing in-house, and their savings are passed directly to the consumer. Each Bowery is handcrafted with an expert eye for quality and value, honed over the 25 years the family has been in the mattress business.
This in-depth Brooklyn Bowery Mattress review will take a look at this all-foam bed to see if it feels as good on your body as it does on your wallet. We will discuss comfort, support, cooling, and motion transfer to help you decide if this product is right for you.
Keep reading for more specific details, or if you’re in a rush, jump right to our score and summary sections.
You will love Brooklyn Bowery if you:
- Are on a tight budget – In-house design and manufacturing ensure that the company can offer great value for the price with this entry-level bed-in-a-box.
- Need pressure relief – The specially designed foams in the top layers of this mattress contour to curves and relieve pressure sometimes experienced in the hips and shoulders, especially for side sleepers.
- A combination sleeper – Quick response time in the top layers together with the supportive base make it easy to move around in this bed, which is ideal for combination sleepers who change position throughout the night. The Medium-level firmness will accommodate most people in a variety of sleeping positions.
You might not like Brooklyn Bowery if you:
- Have heavier weight considerations – The Brooklyn Bowery offers excellent value and quality materials for a good variety of people, but individuals who are heavier may want to upgrade to the Brooklyn Signature or Aurora, which are both hybrid mattresses that include the extra support of steel coil systems.
- Love a traditional memory foam feel – The top layer of foam shares some characteristics with memory foam, such as good pressure relief that gently cradles your body, but it does not have that slow response time that gives you a “sinking into the bed” feeling we associate with traditional memory foam. An advantage to this is that you won’t feel “trapped” and will be less likely to overheat.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
Brooklyn Bowery is an all-foam bed-in-a-box option that ships straight to your door from the company’s manufacturing facility in Phoenix, Arizona. The mattress can be used with most standard platforms, slatted frames, adjustable frames, or box springs. The company also sells foundations specially designed to work with their products.
The top of the cover is a cotton blend stretch knit that is breathable and conforms to the foam layers for a smooth finish that won’t bunch up when you move around. The cover’s sides and base are made from durable blue fabric panels.
This mattress is 10 inches high and contains three levels of foam.
- The first layer is 3 inches of soft and breathable Energex™ foam that is infused with cooling gel to help draw heat away from the body. This layer contours to your curves and offers good pressure relief but is quick responding, which helps to assist changes in position.
- The second layer is a slightly denser 2-inch layer of poly foam that acts as a transitional comfort and contouring foam layer between the softer top layer and the high-density base foam underneath.
- The third layer is a 5-inch thick dense base foam that forms the foundation of the bed and that gives it stability and structural firmness, as well as providing the mattress’ underlying support.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
We scored this mattress at a 5 out of 10 on our firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest. This score is squarely in the center as a Medium and can accommodate a wide variety of sleep positions and preferences.
The cover is soft to the touch, and the first layer of foam compresses easily under pressure but quickly springs back. The specially designed Energex™ offers the same gently cradled and contouring feel of memory foam, but it does not have the same slow response time that can make some people feel “stuck in the mud.” Also, you will sleep closer to the top of the bed, which – together with the infusion of cooling gel – helps keep your body temperature well-regulated.
While the top two layers contour to your curves, the base layer supports your weight and gives the mattress a good bounce. This combination of support, bounce, and quick responding foam mean you should be able to change positions throughout the night without difficulty, which is particularly important for combination sleepers.
Most back sleepers will feel the Energex™ conform to their lumbar and good support from the base layer will keep their spine well-aligned. A heavier individual may prefer a firmer mattress that will provide additional support.
Side sleepers will appreciate the amount of pressure relief they experience in their hips and shoulders, which typically experience more stress in this position because more weight is concentrated in a smaller area. The supportive base layer should keep the spine in good alignment as well.
Most stomach sleepers should sleep comfortably on this model without feeling their hips dip too low, which can force the spine into an awkward angle, though individuals who are heavier may want to look for a firmer bed.
Firmness in a mattress is relative to your body shape and weight. People who are heavier may find this bed is too soft for their needs, but significantly lighter sleepers might think it is slightly firmer. Customers that have higher weight considerations are encouraged to check out the Titan mattress, which is Brooklyn Bedding’s choice for plus size sleepers.
Discover additional top brands here.
Brooklyn Bowery performs really well in this category, and motion transfer is minimal. Though the foam responds quickly to movement, these movements do not reverberate through the mattress.
Motion transfer is an important consideration for active sleepers who share their bed or light-sleeping couples with different sleep schedules.
This mattress performs as expected in edge support for a bed-in-a-box brand. There is a noticeable amount of compression through the top two layers of comfort foam when sitting on the side, and support does not feel quite as strong when lying down on the edges compared to the center of the bed. However, you probably will not feel as if you are going to roll out, which can occur with similar beds in this space.
This is not a “make-or-break” detail for a lot of people, but it may be something to think about if you share the bed and require more surface area or you spend a lot of time sitting on the edge when getting ready in the morning.
- Trial Period – You can try this mattress out for 120 nights (four months) to make sure it is right for you. If not, the company offers free returns.
- Warranty – Brooklyn offers a 10-year warranty on this bed.
- Shipping – The company ships for free within the continental USA and to Hawaii, Alaska, and Canada for an additional fee.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – It is made with a process that limits ozone depleters and toxic materials.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 10”||$499|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 10”||$549|
|Full||53” x 75” x 10”||$649|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 10”||$699|
|King||76” x 80” x 10”||$949|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 10”||$949|
The Brooklyn Bowery offers great quality and an exceptional value in the bed-in-a-box space.
True to Brooklyn Bedding’s reputation, Bowery represents an excellent value and shares many characteristics with similar bed-in-a-box and retail mattresses priced substantially higher.
Bowery’s Energex™ foam gives your body good pressure relief with added cooling technology to keep you from overheating, and the supportive base layer keeps your spine well-aligned for a comfortable and supported night’s sleep that won’t break the bank.
With Brooklyn Bedding’s newest addition to the bed-in-a-box space, mattress shopping on a tight budget just got easier.
Author: Sleep Advisor
Our team covers as many areas of expertise as we do time zones, but none of us started here as a so-called expert on sleep. What we do share is a willingness to ask questions (lots of them), seek experts, and dig deep into conventional wisdom to see if maybe there might be a better path towards healthy living. We apply what we learn not only to our company culture, but also how we deliver information to our over 12.7M readers.
Sleep research is changing all the time, and we are 100% dedicated to keeping up with breakthroughs and innovations. You live better if you sleep better. Whatever has brought you here, we wish you luck on your journey towards better rest.