You might feel like your current mattress isn’t as comfortable as it used to be, but you don’t want to invest in a new mattress yet. Or, maybe you’re heading off to college, and you’re worried about sleeping on the hard, uncomfortable dorm bed.
Whatever the case may be, a mattress topper is a great, affordable solution if you don’t want to purchase a new mattress. Mattress toppers are generally about 2-4 inches thick and are placed on top of a mattress to provide extra comfort, support, or firmness, depending on your needs and the topper that you choose.
We’re going to review the five best mattress toppers on Amazon for 2023. So, whether you’re taking advantage of Prime Day deals, preparing for college move-in, or simply want to enhance the comfort of your bed, we have outlined some great options for you. We’ve also included a guide to help you find the right mattress topper for your needs.
- TEMPUR-Adapt® – Best Foam Mattress Topper on Amazon
- Layla – Best Firm Mattress Topper on Amazon
- ViscoSoft – Best Amazon Mattress Topper for Back Pain
- Lucid Gel Memory Foam – Best Amazon Mattress Topper for Side Sleepers
- Linenspa – Best Affordable Mattress Topper on Amazon
Sleep Advisor’s Testing Methodology
At Sleep Advisor, our product reviews are based on findings from in-person tests that allow us to have a genuine understanding of how the product feels and performs.
For this roundup, we prioritized features that are especially important for mattress toppers on amazon. We paid special attention to components such as topper thickness, support elements, motion transfer, and cooling features.
Expert Reviewed Toppers on Amazon 2023
TEMPUR-Adapt® Topper – Best Foam Mattress Topper on Amazon
Why the TEMPUR-Adapt® Topper Earned Best Foam Mattress Topper on Amazon
This foam mattress is thick and is designed to relieve pressure by cradling the body. The combination of memory foam and TEMPUR® material results in a plush, comfortable, and supportive foam mattress. Our tester Julia says that “TEMPUR® is known for its responsive foams, and it’s the same story here as the foam really hugs the body but keeps the spine aligned”.
The topper provides a lot of cushioning, which is great for side sleepers’ hips and shoulders. As such, we recommend this mattress topper for lightweight and average-weight side and back sleepers. Julia added that the “even weight distribution should ensure adequate pressure relief, contouring, and spine alignment”.
What’s the TEMPUR-Adapt® Mattress Topper Made Of?
The TEMPUR-Adapt® mattress topper is a 3-inch foam mattress topper. First, you’ll find the cover, which is removable and washable, making it easy to clean. Under the mattress cover is 3 inches of memory foam that conforms to the body.
This foam uses TEMPUR® material, which is the company’s proprietary memory foam. According to the Tempur-Pedic website, “TEMPUR® is an open-celled viscoelastic, pressure relieving and temperature sensitive material that molds to the exact contours of your body.”
“This topper is the creme de la creme of mattress toppers on the market.”– Julia, Sleep Advisor Mattress Tester
What We Liked
- Removable cover – We like that this mattress topper includes a removable cover that is also washable. This makes the topper easy to clean, which is appealing for those with busy schedules. Please note, though, that this cover is meant to be air-dried.
- Good durability – The TEMPUR-Adapt® mattress topper has pretty good durability. TEMPUR®’s high-quality, specialized foam is meant to be long-lasting. The level of durability is important to consider when justifying the price of a sleep-related product such as a mattress topper.
- Excellent comfort – Although this mattress may not work for stomach sleepers or heavier folks, we still think it provides excellent comfort. Our reviewer Julia likes that the “specialized, thick foam helps provide a weightless feeling around sensitive joints.”
- Temperature – While this topper didn’t feel particularly hot to us, it also does not have any specific temperature-regulating or cooling qualities. If you get hot in your sleep or live in a warm climate, you may find that this mattress topper isn’t cool enough for you.
- Not allergy-repellent – The foam in this mattress topper doesn’t appear to have any allergy-repellent certifications, but the cover is supposed to protect the foam from dust mites and allergens. So, if you’re sensitive to allergies, this mattress may not be allergy resistant enough for you.
- Not great for stomach sleepers – We found that the TEMPUR-Adapt® topper may feel too soft for stomach sleepers because they sink too far into the bed. We recommend that stomach sleepers, especially those of heavier weights, find a firmer topper.
Layla – Best Firm Mattress Topper on Amazon
Why the Layla Earned Best Firm Mattress Topper on Amazon
The Layla mattress topper is quite firm, but still comfortable, which is a really great option for stomach sleepers who need extra spinal support so they don’t sink too deep into the bed.
Julia, our average-weight reviewer, stated that “the topper did an outstanding job of keeping my midsection lifted. I felt no sink, which helps maintain spine alignment. The firmer feel may feel a smidge tough for people with hip pain or sensitive joints, but should improve once the topper is fully broken in.”
What’s the Layla Mattress Topper Made Of?
The Layla mattress topper is covered in a soft to the touch, bamboo cover.
This topper is made of a 2-inch copper-infused memory foam. The memory foam is meant to relieve pressure points while still providing support. The copper-infused gel in the memory foam helps the topper stay cool and also keeps bacteria away.
“Stomach sleepers can have a tough time finding adequate mattresses and toppers, so it’s nice to see a really solid contender for this sleep position.”– Julia, Sleep Advisor Mattress Tester
What We Liked
- Great support – The Layla mattress topper is medium-firm and provides a great level of support. According to our reviewer Julia, “With the firm, dense foam and spine alignment, this is a feasible option, particularly for stomach sleepers in need of a mattress topper.” Back sleepers who like a firmer feel should also enjoy this mattress topper.
- Good sleep trial and warranty – Layla’s topper has a 30-night trial, which gives you time to test out the mattress topper without fully committing to the price. There is also a five-year warranty that ensures you receive a replacement if your topper breaks within this time frame.
- It’s firm, yet comfortable – Even though this mattress topper is quite firm, it is still pretty comfortable, which isn’t always the case with firm mattresses and toppers.
- The cover isn’t removable – This topper doesn’t have a removable, washable mattress cover, which makes it difficult to clean. Also, Layla doesn’t specify if you’re able to spot-clean the mattress topper or if it needs professional cleaning. While this isn’t a dealbreaker, it is important to consider.
- No adjustable straps – Even though Layla’s topper comes in a variety of sizes to fit different mattresses, we do wish that it came with adjustable straps so it could be secured to the mattress. We like toppers with adjustable straps because they help prevent the topper from moving around on the mattress.
- Not super durable – This 2-inch foam topper will likely break down over time as do most foam mattress toppers. However, if you like this topper otherwise, it may be worth it even though it might not be very long-lasting.
ViscoSoft – Best Amazon Mattress Topper for Back Pain
ViscoSoft Select High Density Mattress Topper
A high-density memory foam topper available in 3 or 4-inch thickness.
Sleep Advisor Score
4.50 / 5
Why the ViscoSoft Earned Best Amazon Mattress Topper for Back Pain
The ViscoSoft mattress topper is a pretty firm mattress to help support the spine, yet it is still comfortable and has some cushioning to it. This balance of support and comfortability should be helpful for back pain. People with back pain need spinal support so they don’t experience additional discomfort, but they often still like some level of cushioning to relieve the pain and pressure they experience.
Our mattress tester, Julia, really liked the ViscoSoft topper, saying that “while it runs on the firmer side of things, the Viscosoft does react well to body curvature.” These qualities are exactly what we look for when recommending a mattress or mattress topper for people that experience back pain.
Julia also thinks that the “medium firm feel does a good job of keeping the body lifted atop the bed”, which is important for those with back pain who need maintained support and don’t want to sink into the bed too much.
What’s the ViscoSoft Mattress Topper Made Of?
The ViscoSoft mattress topper is made up of gel-infused, high-density memory foam. The 3-inch thick foam gives it a comfortable yet firm feel. The gel in this topper allows for cooling, and its ventilated core regulates temperature, working to keep you cool and dry while sleeping. The topper also has a breathable, bamboo-rayon mesh cover that is removable and machine washable.
Please note that we tested the 2-inch version of this topper, but you can purchase the 2-inch, 3-inch, or 4-inch version.
Our lead reviewer Julia thinks the ViscoSoft topper has “decent sinkage without throwing support out the window”, which makes it a great option for a wide range of sleepers, especially back sleepers.
What We Liked
- Different thickness levels – The ViscoSoft mattress topper can be purchased in a 2-inch, 3-inch, or 4-inch thickness level, and we really like this availability. Oftentimes, heavier folks need a thicker mattress, so most heavier people who sleep on their side and back should find the 4-inch version of this topper to suit their needs.
- Spinal support – The level of firmness provided by this mattress topper is fantastic for spinal support. Julia, our reviewer, said her “spine alignment was maintained with a decent amount of cushion” when she tested the 2-inch version of the ViscoSoft topper. This allows for sufficient comfort while still maintaining appropriate support, specifically for light and average-weight stomach and back sleepers.
- Cooling qualities – This mattress topper has good cooling qualities to appeal to hot sleepers or people who live in warmer climates. The bamboo, rayon, and gel features in the topper allow for ventilation and temperature regulation.
- The straps – This mattress topper does have adjustable straps that secure it to your mattress, but we don’t love the straps. While this isn’t a huge deal, the straps were “almost bunching up the corners and pulling them down”, according to Julia. Even though the topper was the same size as the mattress, we wish the straps were placed wider on the mattress topper for a better fit.
- Not great for heavier stomach sleepers – Although we found that this mattress could be a good fit for a wide range of sleepers, we still don’t recommend it for heavyweight stomach sleepers. Julia, our tester, let us know that “the thickness level of the Viscosoft makes it not a feasible option for plus-size stomach sleepers. Even with the firmness level, there’s just not enough material to keep a concentrated amount of weight at the midsection boosted for heavyweight sleepers”. Instead, a heavier stomach sleeper should look for a thicker mattress topper.
- Not the best durability – The ViscoSoft topper doesn’t necessarily have poor durability, but it could be better. Since the topper is comprised of gel memory foam, it will likely sag around the edges as time goes on. We do think that the cover will help increase its longevity, though.
Lucid Gel Memory Foam – Best Amazon Mattress Topper for Side Sleepers
Why the Lucid Gel Memory Foam Earned Best Amazon Mattress Topper for Side Sleepers
The Lucid Gel Memory Foam mattress topper is great for pressure relief, which is essential for side sleepers who need comfort around their hips and shoulders. The topper feels soft, and it conforms to your body, helping your pressure points feel weightless.
We think this topper is a great option for lightweight side sleepers and most average-weight side sleepers. However, it may be too soft for some average-weight and most plus-size side sleepers, who will find that they sink too far into this mattress topper, which isn’t comfortable and could lead to pain.
What’s the Lucid Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper Made Of?
The Lucid Gel Memory Foam mattress topper features 3 inches of specially-formulated memory foam to deliver support and comfort. The topper’s foam includes gel to help keep the foam from overheating.
“The topper is “marketed as ‘plush’ foam, and I would put ‘very’ in front of that.”– Julia, Sleep Advisor Mattress Tester
What We Liked
- Sleep trial and warranty – Lucid offers a 30-night sleep trial with free shipping and returns, along with a three-year warranty on their mattress topper.
- Size options – This mattress topper comes in a variety of sizes. More importantly, it fit perfectly on the mattress that we tested it on, which meant there were no gaps along the edges.
- Great for lightweight side sleepers – We highly recommend this plush mattress topper to lightweight side sleepers who are not satisfied with their current mattress and its firmness level. Although it is very soft, the Lucid Gel Memory Foam mattress topper should properly support lightweight individuals.
- Lack of support – This mattress topper is really soft, which is great for some people. However, it doesn’t provide enough support for most back sleepers, or for stomach sleepers and heavyweight individuals.
- Not very durable – Foam tends to sag over time, so this foam mattress topper likely won’t be very long-lasting. Also, you have to purchase a cover for this topper separately, so without a cover, it is more susceptible to damage.
- Not CertiPUR-US® certified – It does not appear that the Lucid Gel Memory Foam mattress topper is CertiPUR-US® certified, which means that we don’t know if this topper includes harmful substances like ozone depleters, PBDEs, heavy metals, formaldehyde, and phthalates.
Linenspa – Best Affordable Mattress Topper on Amazon
Linenspa 3-inch Gel Infused Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Why the Linenspa Earned Best Affordable Mattress Topper on Amazon
The Linenspa is a soft, cushioned mattress topper that is available on Amazon. This topper is a lot less expensive than some other high-end mattress toppers, so if you’re looking for a budget-friendly option, this could be a great choice for you. It is important to keep in mind, though, that with a reduced price, this topper might not have all of the extra perks or advantages that a more expensive topper comes with, such as a cover or straps.
What’s the Linenspa Mattress Topper Made Of?
This mattress topper is made of a plush gel memory foam. It does not come with a cover, but you can purchase a cover for this topper at an additional cost.
Thie Linenspa mattress topper is quite soft, so we recommend this plush memory foam topper for lightweight side and back sleepers
“If it’s the soft feeling you’re trying to achieve, this topper makes sense.”Julia, Sleep Advisor Mattress Tester
What We Liked
- Fit – The Linenspa mattress topper is available in several different mattress sizes. It also fit perfectly on the mattress that we tested it on top of, which meant there were no gaps on the edges.
- Price – This mattress topper is much more affordable than other mattress topper options on Amazon. So, we really like this mattress topper for you if you’re looking for a temporary solution, like for a college dorm room.
- Off-gassing scent goes away – Even though this mattress topper had a scent when we first opened it, the scent was completely gone a week later.
- Poor durability – If you’re looking for a durable mattress topper, this might not be the best choice. The Linenspa topper doesn’t include a cover or straps, so it’s basically just a big piece of foam. This means it may not last as long as some other mattress toppers. Also, Julia, our reviewer, noted that foam and dust particles rubbed off onto her clothes when testing this topper.
- Temperature – Although this is a gel memory foam mattress topper, which means it should have some cooling qualities, our tester Julia didn’t find the topper to be cool to the touch. Also, there isn’t a cooling cover on this topper, which is something additional you may look for if you sleep hot.
- Lack of support – This mattress topper has really soft foam, which isn’t ideal for stomach sleepers or heavier people. compared the feeling of this mattress topper to play-dough, compressed packing peanuts, and cookie-dough, so unless you like a really soft bed, you may want to find a more supportive topper.
Sleep Advisor’s Testing Methodology
As we test products at Sleep Advisor, we try to be as objective and unbiased as possible. When testing mattress toppers, our reviewer typically lies on the mattress on her side, back, and stomach. She also asses the topper for qualities like cooling, motion isolation, support, and pressure relief.
For more information on our testing methodology, visit our full-length product review process page.
What to Look For in a Mattress Topper on Amazon
The materials used in a mattress topper is an important aspect to consider when choosing one. For instance, memory foam is often preferred by side sleepers, people seeking pressure relief, and lightweight individuals. Mattress toppers can also be made of latex, down, fiberfill, wool, and poly foam. Foam mattress toppers made of materials like memory foam, poly foam, and latex, usually provide more support than the other materials.
In general, the position you sleep in can help dictate the firmness that you’ll prefer in a mattress topper.
Side sleepers usually need a softer mattress topper to be more comfortable, so the topper conforms to their hips and shoulders. Stomach sleepers, however, need a firmer topper that keeps their spine aligned and supported.
People who primarily sleep on their back will likely vary a bit more in terms of firmness preference for a mattress topper. They need a topper that is supportive enough for their back, but they don’t usually require one that is as firm as what a stomach sleeper typically needs.
Firmness is one of the most influential factors to consider when buying a mattress topper. While it can partly be based on personal preference, your sleeping position, weight, and other factors can impact which mattress topper firmness is most comfortable for you.
A softer surface is usually preferred by side sleepers, people seeking pressure relief, and lightweight individuals. A medium-firm mattress topper could be preferred by back sleepers and average-weight sleepers. Stomach sleepers and heavier folks typically like the feeling of a firmer surface. Additionally, people with limited mobility and sexually active couples may prefer a topper that has more bounce for easier mobility.
It’s also worth noting that this will depend on the firmness of your mattress too. For example, if your mattress is exceptionally firm and you need more softness to balance this out, a softer topper may be more helpful in this case.
If you are usually hot when you sleep or live in a warmer climate, you may prefer a mattress topper that is cooling and regulates your temperature. This way, you should stay cool and dry throughout the night. A mattress topper that contains gel or a topper made with temperature-neutral latex are two examples of cooling qualities to look for.
Motion isolation occurs when movement on one side of the bed isn’t felt on the other side of the bed. Motion isolation is important for couples and light sleepers, so look for a mattress topper with high motion isolation, otherwise known as low motion transfer, if you want more restful sleep.
If you are sexually active, you may want to consider the bounciness of a mattress topper before purchasing. Sexually-active couples typically prefer a bed space with more bounce for easier repositioning. Latex toppers, for instance, could be appealing for intimacy since they’re naturally more buoyant.
If you experience pain or pressure and want your mattress topper to relieve some of that, look for a foam mattress topper. Memory foam is a top material for pressure relief, but softer Talalay latex toppers can also be great for this.
Edge support is the support you feel at the very edge of your bed. This support helps you to not feel like you’re falling off of your bed. If you enjoy sleeping at the edge of your bed, or you share a bed with a partner and like to spread out in the night, it is important to consider if the mattress topper you’re looking at will help you stay supported along the sides of your bed. Typically, a firmer, denser topper would be most helpful in this case.
Generally, more expensive mattress toppers are of higher quality, although that might not always be the case. Also, your budget may depend on the context of your topper purchase. For example, if you’re purchasing a mattress topper to be used on a college dormitory mattress for a few years, you might have a smaller budget than if you’re buying a topper for a mattress in your home.
Mattress & Sheet Compatibility
Two additional factors to consider when purchasing a mattress topper are mattress compatibility and sheet compatibility.
If your mattress is compatible with the mattress topper you’re purchasing, that means both products have the exact same length and width dimensions. These identical dimensions will ensure there are no gaps on the side of your bed.
Sheet compatibility is also important to consider, which means that when you have the topper on top of your mattress, the sheets will still fit over the mattress and the topper. This way, your sheets do not keep coming off of your bed because they are not big enough.
Best Amazon Mattress Toppers FAQs
Is a firm mattress topper better for back pain?
A firm mattress topper could be good for back pain, but it depends on your personal preference, sleeping position, weight, and the state of your mattress itself. If your current mattress isn’t giving you enough support to help with your back pain, then a firmer topper could be helpful.
What is the best mattress topper thickness for side sleepers?
Side sleepers might want a mattress topper that is on the thicker side, which is between three and four inches. This thickness should do a better job of relieving pressure on the hips and shoulders, allowing the material to contour the body more effectively.
Should I buy a mattress topper instead of a mattress?
It depends on the state of your mattress. If your mattress has a few more years left in it and you just need something to give it a little more oomph, then a topper might be your best bet. However, if your mattress is well over 10 years old and is no longer supportive enough, then it is time to invest in a new mattress.
Are memory foam or latex toppers better?
Both materials have their advantages. Memory foam is great for pressure relief but it can run hot without effective cooling measures. Latex, on the other hand, has a quicker response time, which might be preferred by people with limited mobility, combination sleepers, or sexually-active couples. Also, natural latex toppers tend to be more eco-friendly, so if you are eco-conscious, you may prefer to purchase a latex topper.
Emma is an Editorial Intern for Sleep Advisor. She collaborates with the editor and staff writers to come up with article ideas, create article outlines, and write for the website.