Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Do you and your partner have very different sleep preferences? Are you struggling to find the perfect firmness that suits you both?
A husband and wife from Chicago designed the Amore line of mattresses because they were sick of having to compromise on their mattress. They sought out input from mattress veteran Englander in their designs, and today manufacture their mattresses at Englander’s factory that’s located in Chicago.
Our in-depth review of the Amore Hybrid will show you what’s to love about this mattress from the cooling technology to the pressure relieving foams to the enhanced support system. This review will give you an idea on firmness, sinkage and other details you might need to make up your mind.
If you’d rather skip over all that and jump right to the conclusion here, feel free. Otherwise, read on.
You will love Amore Hybrid if you:
- Are a couple – This brand is one of few out there that let you split the firmness in sizes Queen and larger so that both you and your sleep mate can select what works best for your individual bodies without compromise.
- Have specific firmness needs – Even if you sleep solo, choice can be a beautiful thing. With three different firmnesses to choose from, you’re more likely to find what suits your preferences so you sleep well-supported and pressure free.
- Shopping for hybrids – If you are torn between foam and innerspring, why not select a bed that has both? You can get the airflow and bounce from coils and the pressure relieving motion isolation from foam all in the same bed.
You might not like Amore Hybrid if you:
- Want a classic memory foam feel – Though there are four layers of foams in this mattress designed to align your spine and keep your pressure points at bay, you won’t experience the slow sink we associate with traditional memory materials (in that case you can check our memory foam bed picks). However, enhanced breathability and responsiveness will help you reposition easily and keep temperature under control.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
The Amore Hybrid is a bed-in-a-box option that includes a mix of foams and coils. This 12-inch mattress can be placed on practically any foundation and is compatible with adjustable bases. If you prefer, the company also sells a frame that was designed to work with their beds.
There are 7 layers in this mattress that are covered with your choice of either an organic cotton cover or a copper-infused cover that aids in temperature regulation and has antimicrobial properties. The specialty cover is made from rayon fabric derived from bamboo and is cool to the touch.
● The first layer is made from organic wool sourced from New Zealand that offers an all-natural flame retardant as well as cooling capabilities to the bed’s surface.
● The second layer stands 1 inch and uses a proprietary blend of foam called FusionFlex™ Comfort Gel-Foam. This layer was designed to sleep exceptionally cool while cradling your body in comfort.
● The third layer is made from 1 inch of Graphite-Infused Open Cell Memory Foam, which also cradles your pressure points. Both the graphite and the open cell structure help keep the foam from overheating.
● The fourth layer transitions to the firmer foams below with 2 inches of Hyper-Contouring Transition Foam.
● The fifth layer is a 2-inch layer of spine alignment foam called High-Density Open Cell Specialty Foam that is also breathable.
● The sixth layer includes the 4-inch coil unit made from individually wrapped coils that are reinforced around the edges for additional edge support.
● The seventh layer is the bed’s foundational layer that’s made with Ultra High-Density Foam.
● The perimeter also includes a layer of high-density foam to reinforce the edges.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
We reviewed the Medium iteration of this mattress and found it scored right in the Medium range at between 5 and 5.5 on our scale where the maximum firmness is 10. A straight up Medium is very versatile, but if you prefer something softer the company scores their soft at around a 3 and their firmer mattress around an 8.
When lying down on the Medium, you can expect your body to sink in a little bit, and you should feel somewhere between in the bed and on top of it in a deeper cradle. The responsiveness of the surface layer is a tad slower than the rest of the mattress, which responds quickly to pressure. The overall bounce of the bed should be moderate.
All of this is good news for combination sleepers who like to roll around between positions all night, never content to let the dust settle. More responsive materials make repositioning much easier, and a versatile feel should work with most individual bodies in most positions.
Back sleepers, for instance, should really enjoy the way the foams contour to their lumbar area so that their curves are supported and their spine remains in a straight position. Some back sleepers like a firmer mattress, however, and that’s an option with this bed (learn more about back sleepers here).
Most side sleepers will enjoy the Medium version’s ability to cradle their curves and take away the pressure that can build up when sleeping in this position. Exclusive side sleepers that really desire a lot of extra pressure relief may be drawn to the softer version of the bed, however (learn more about them here).
Stomach sleepers need to be careful in this position because their hips could dip low in a softer mattress and arch their back (here you can see why). Many stomach sleepers prefer a firmer bed, and if you are substantially heavier than average, we may suggest that the Firm is the best match.
The manufacturer suggests that any sleeper over 250 pounds will probably prefer the Firm version of the bed, which is something to keep in mind if you have higher weight considerations (we have everything mentioned in our guide for heavier sleepers).
Otherwise, we think most combination sleepers will really love the Medium’s versatility. Remember also that you can select more than one and the company will split the mattress to accommodate both you and your partner’s needs.
While classic innersprings tend to transfer a lot of motion, newer innovations in pocketed coils can really reduce a lot of middle of the night disturbances that can occur when you sleep with a partner. This hybrid performed really well in this category for a mix of foam and coils, and jostling was fairly minimal, but if this is something that concerns you specifically, you may prefer the all-foam Amore.
Bed-in-a-box brands do not perform exceptionally in this category because they are made from materials that roll neatly into boxes. However, Amore is one of a few brands out there making an effort to confound that assumption. Reinforced coils and ultra-high density foam rails should keep your body secure when lying or sitting on the edge, which is important for couples who want to increase their available sleep space.
- Multiple/Split Firmness Available – When ordering, you may select one of three firmnesses: Soft, Medium, and Firm. You may also opt for split firmness so that you and your partner can each have your preferred feel.
- Trial Period – This company offers you the opportunity to try their product out in your house for 100 nights to make sure you like it.
- Warranty – This brand supplies a 20-year warranty.
- Shipping – Shipping and returns are free within the United States.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – All of the foams contained in this bed have been evaluated by a third-party laboratory for unsafe levels of chemicals, heavy metals, and environmentally damaging emissions.
- Certified Organic – The wool and cotton used in this bed are certified by GOTS.
- Charitable Initiatives – Amore Beds also does a lot of work with charitable organizations and has committed their mattresses to hurricane disaster relief.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions||Price (without discount)|
Amore has delivered a great bed to the hybrid space that is packed with cooling technology and a choice of firmnesses, including split, to help you find just the right fit for you and your partner.
This mattress was literally named Love and is designed to keep yours happy and strong by not forcing you or your partner to compromise on what you need in your bed. Split level firmness and a variety of features and feels should keep you both sleeping content for years to come.
Noteworthy is the company’s choice of exceptionally cool cover that pairs well with all of the cooling technology inside the bed that helps to keep the foams from overheating while you sleep. The 4-inch pocketed coils assist in motion isolation while working with firmer support foams to help keep your spine nicely aligned.
There’s definitely a lot to love here, especially the 20-year warranty, the company’s commitment to American manufacturing, and charitable initiatives that seek to help the less fortunate sleep better and aid disaster relief.
Author: Sarah Cummings
I think we’re all nerds, but I’m probably the biggest nerd in the group. Put me nose deep in a spreadsheet and I'll start smiling.
I love to travel, hang out with positive people, and love cycling when I find the time!
My hope is that everyone who visits our site will walk away with a fresh perspective. I think too many people in society downplay the importance of sleep. In my opinion, it’s the difference between an average life and an amazing one.