Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Everyone enjoys the finer things in life, and sleepy you is no exception. A comfortable mattress is imperative for your sleep health, so why not treat yourself? Tuft & Needle Mint might just take your nights to a whole new level.
An upgraded option to Tuft & Needle’s Original Mattress, the Mint is Infused with 30% more graphite and cooling gel beads, an extra three inches of highly adaptive foam, and a plush cover. Those who are looking for extra cooling and support will enjoy the upgraded luxurious features.
Our in-depth review of the Tuft & Needle Mint bed will cover all the upgraded features of this new product and analyze specifics like firmness and support. Keep reading to dive in headfirst, or skip to the end to read the rundown.
Who Do We Think Matches With Mint?
- Bed sharers – The extra edge support in the bottom layer makes the bed feel larger, allowing you and your partner to use the whole surface without feeling like you are going to fall off. If you are sharing your bed with kids, or pets—or if your partner is a restless sleeper—the low motion transfer will limit the unwanted mid-night disturbance.
- Deal seekers – From the ultra-plush cover to the specially constructed high-quality foam infused with graphite and cooling gel beads, this product was made for those who enjoy a touch of luxury at a fair price.
- Athletic folks – The top layer of foam offers a soft, comforting feeling on your joints, while the quick responsiveness allows for easy adjustment throughout the night.
Possible Mint Complaints:
- It doesn’t have a classic innerspring feel. – While the innovative foam will provide comfortable pressure relief and isolated motion, you will not feel the bounce and push back that you would on a traditional spring mattress. If that’s more your thing, check out the company's new hybrid mattress.
In that case you can take a look at our top rated picks for this year here.
- Company Headquarters: Phoenix, Arizona
- Website: tuftandneedle.com
- Phone: (877)842-2586
- Mail: [email protected]
Tuft & Needle, one of the first and most popular bed-in-a-box brands, prides itself on offering high-quality products at honest pricing and changing the way consumers shop for new mattresses.
Their groundbreaking Original Mattress boasted a minimal design at an affordable cost; their newest Mint model expands upon this, offering all the similar characteristics of the Original with added luxuries, such as enhanced foam, extra cooling gel beads, and more support. They now offer more products, including bedding, bed frames, and even a comfy place for your fluffy best friend to sleep.
Construction: What’s Inside Mint?
Starting from the outside, the OEKO-TEX® certified cover is a thicker, charcoal knit material that surrounds this product in coziness while still providing breathability.
Mint stands at 12 inches tall, 2 more inches than the Original Tuft & Needle. It is comprised of three layers, the softest on the top, the middle serving as a transition, and the bottom being the most supportive.
- The first layer is 3 inches of T&N Adaptive® Foam infused with 30 percent more graphite than the Original Mattress, helping to prevent overheating. This top layer responds quickly, unlike traditional memory foam, and provides pressure-relieving plushness.
- Sandwiched in the middle is 2 inches of adaptive foam. This transition layer is exclusive to the Mint, offering upgraded ceramic gel that wicks away heat and adds more support. This layer is slightly firmer than the first.
- The third layer is 7 inches of high-density foam. Using open-cell technology, the bed is still breathable and allows airflow. This base layer is the firmest of the three and is surrounded by 4 inches of extra firm foam around the edges for added support.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
The Mint is an all-foam mattress delivered in a box to your door. When you roll it out and cut open the vacuum-sealed plastic wrapping, it will start inflating immediately and quickly and should be its full size in a couple of hours.
The breathable knit cover is a deep charcoal gray and it has a bit of stretch to it. As you press down into the top layers, you should feel the foam conform to your hand; however, when you release, it should pop back up quickly because of its adaptive design. It should feel a little different than traditional memory foam because of the quick response, but it should still contour around you as you lay in bed.
Firmness Scale: 5.5/10
Too much pressure is never a good thing, whether it’s at work or on your achy joints. Having a bed that can soften pressure points, like the hips and shoulders, is essential to feel refreshed in the morning. While this bed might not be able to take away your day-to-day pressures, it should be able to relax chronic aches and pains.
Mint is on the softer side, so it should allow you to sink in—it should feel like the foams are giving you a deep hug. The upper layers provide a plushness that should fill in all the gaps and conform around the body, soft enough to be cozy but not so soft that you feel trapped. Plus, the quick-response foam adds a bit of bounce, making it easier to change positions and get out of bed.
For durability and comfort, you’re going to need a mattress with killer support. This assures that your spine stays straight all night long so that you won’t feel any strain or soreness.
Because Mint choice is layered in gradual firmness, the more you push down, the more supported you should feel. The hefty 7-inch high-density base layer is designed to provide comfortable and evenly-distributed support on your joints. It has a pretty neutral feel, so most sleepers should get the support they need from this mattress; those that are on the heavier side might need something more firm to hold them up a bit better.
It couldn’t be more convenient to ship this bed; Mint comes rolled up in a box, ready to open at your convenience. No waiting for the delivery window or taking time off of work.
Special features like graphite, ceramic cooling gel beads, and a breathable knit cover should make this bed more breathable than most all-foam competitors.
Great Motion Isolation
The unique T&N Adaptive® Foam is made to be both responsive and absorbent, so moving across the mattress should not transfer disturbances to your partner.
Adjustable Base Compatible
Feel free to use an adjustable base with T&N Mint. They even have their own adjustable frame that is built specifically for their beds if you’re in the market, but any frame should do.
Handcrafted in the USA
A third-party organization confirmed that the foam in this mattress passed inspection for hazardous materials and was proven to be safe for consumers.
Each component was tested and found to have safe or nonexistent levels of over 300 harmful chemicals.
GREENGUARD Gold Certified
This certification represents a rigorous test used to establish safety for more sensitive individuals, including senior citizens and smaller children.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping - Free shipping is offered throughout the continental U.S., and it can be delivered to Alaska and Hawaii for a variable fee depending on the location.
- Trial - This mattress comes with a 100-night trial period; if you decide it is not right for you, the company will donate it to your charity of choice and give you a full refund.
- Warranty - Tuft & Needle offers a 10-year warranty for this product.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||39″ x 75″ x 12″||$595|
|Twin XL||39″ x 80″ x 12″||$645|
|Full||54″ x 75″ x 12″||$845|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12”||$995|
|King||76" x 80" x 12”||$1145|
|Cali King||72" x 84" x 12”||$1145|
Tuft & Needle’s Mint Mattress offers a versatile medium to medium-firm feel that is ideal for couples and combination sleepers. The quick response offers relief to pressure points, especially important for side sleepers, and the added edge support performs above average compared to its all-foam competitors.
Side sleepers generally need a softer mattress because pressure tends to build up around the hips and shoulders. Because Mint is on the softer side, most side sleepers will love the top layer of foam that allows their shoulders and hips to sink in a bit to help distribute the weight more evenly.
Back sleepers, especially those who like a softer feel, should find Mint to melt away pressure in the lumbar area and keep the spine aligned. Heaver folks might appreciate a firmer option, like the Tuft & Needle Hybrid.
The average stomach sleepers should find this bed to be pretty supportive and their weight should be well-distributed; however, exclusive stomach sleepers, especially those who are heavier, may prefer something firmer to offer better spine and hip support.
This mattress is great for combination sleepers and couples that need a bed that supports a wide variety of positions; however, everyone feels pressure and firmness differently, so if this bed is not right for you, Tuft & Needle offers a 100-night trial period and full refund.
Two sleepers with different preferences sharing a bed can cause some issues. T&N Mint has a neutral and medium feel, which is versatile for a majority of sleepers, especially those that move around a lot. The foam absorbs motion well, and the edges are reinforced to make the surface feel bigger than it is.
Those that are heavier need a more supportive bed for durability. Mint has a thick support, and the manufacturer recommends a 500-pound weight limit per side or 1000 for the entire bed; however, it is on the softer end, so some might feel significant sinkage.
Because Mint has soft foam layers on the top, lighter weight individuals shouldn’t have a problem feeling a little sinkage and contouring around the body’s curves. They should be able to come in contact with the lower support layers, as well, which should eliminate achiness in the joints.
Mint is an excellent choice for sleepers who want a more luxurious Tuft & Needle experience, with added cooling capabilities, edge support, and an extra comfort layer. All of this is for a much lower price than many other competitors because of the online business model.