Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Tuft & Needle, one of the first and most popular bed-in-a-box brands, prides themselves in offering high-quality products at honest pricing and changing the way consumers shop for new mattresses.
Their groundbreaking Original Mattress boasted a minimal design at an affordable cost; their newest model expands upon this, offering all the similar characteristics of the Original with added luxuries, such as enhanced foam, extra cooling gel beads, and more support.
Our in-depth overview of the Tuft & Needle Mint bed will cover all the upgraded features of this new product and take you through our scoring process that analyzes specifics like firmness and support. Keep reading to dive in headfirst, or skip to the end to read the rundown.
You will love Mint if you:
- Are a couple – The extra edge support in the bottom layer makes the bed feel larger, allowing you and your partner to use the whole surface without feeling like you are going to fall off. If you are sharing your bed with kids, or pets, or if your partner is a restless sleeper, the low motion transfer will limit the unwanted mid-night disturbance.
- Want pressure relief without feeling stuck – The top layer of foam offers a soft, comforting feeling on your joints, while the quick responsiveness allows for easy adjustment throughout the night.
- Want a luxurious feel at an affordable cost – From the ultra-plush cover to the specially constructed high-quality foam infused with graphite and cooling gel beads, this product was made for those who enjoy a touch of luxurious at a fair price.
You might not like Mint if you:
- Want an innerspring feel – While the innovative foam will provide comfortable pressure relief and isolated motion, you will not feel the bounce and push back that you would on a traditional spring mattress. Or check out the company's new hybrid mattress released in 2019.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
The Mint is an all-foam mattress delivered in a box to your door. It is compatible with most frames and foundations, including adjustable frames. Tuft & Needle also sells a box foundation specifically designed with their products in mind on their website.
The OEKO-TEX® certified cover is a thicker, charcoal knit material that surrounds this product in coziness while still providing breathability.
Mint stands at 12 inches tall, 2 more inches than the Original Tuft & Needle. It is comprised of three layers, the softest on the top, the middle serving as a transition, and the bottom being the most supportive.
- The first layer is 3 inches of T&N Adaptive® Foam infused with 30 percent more graphite than the Original Mattress, helping to prevent overheating. This top layer responds quickly, unlike traditional memory foam, and provides pressure relieving plushness.
- The second layer offers 2 inches of adaptive foam. This transition layer is exclusive to the Mint, offering upgraded ceramic gel that wicks away heat and adds more support. This layer is slightly firmer than the first
- The third layer is 7 inches of high-density foam. Using open-cell technology, the bed is still breathable and allows airflow. This base layer is the firmest of the three, offering a good foundation and edge support.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
We scored this product a 5.5 out of 10 on our firmness scale, 10 being the firmest, which is in the medium to medium-firm range. This accommodates the majority of sleeping positions and should be comfortable for the widest variety of people.
The cover, combined with the top layer, provides a plushness that allows you to sink in for a deeper hug but not enough to make it difficult to adjust or get out of bed. The foam is specifically designed to respond quickly, which allows a slight bounce and makes it easier to change positions, differing from memory foam.
Because this choice is layered in gradual firmness, the more you push down, the more supported you should feel. This is designed to provide comfortable and evenly-distributed support on your joints throughout the night.
Most back sleepers should feel balanced support and spine alignment.
Most side sleepers will love the soft top layer of foam that allows their shoulder and hips some pressure relief that firmer mattresses would not provide.
Most stomach sleepers will find this bed to be supportive and their weight should be well-distributed. Exclusive stomach sleepers, especially those who are heavier, may prefer something firmer to offer better spine and hip support.
This mattress is great for combination sleepers and couples that need a bed that supports a wide variety of positions; however, everyone feels pressure and firmness differently, so if this bed is not right for you, Tuft & Needle offers a 100-night trial period and full refund.
For significantly heavier individuals with weight limit concerns, the manufacturer recommends a 500 pound weight limit per side or 1000 for the entire bed.
Many who are shopping for an all-foam mattress are intrigued by its ability to absorb movement, and the Mint is no exception. The bed absorbs about as much motion as the industry standard, so light sleepers can rest in peace knowing they will not be woken by a restless partner.
Because mattresses that are delivered in a box come rolled up, most offer limited edge support. Mint, on the other hand, offers above-average edge support compared to its all-foam competitors due to its added high-density foam layer.
Although you will still notice some compression when weight is concentrated in one spot, you should feel fully supported when lying down close to the edge with your weight evenly distributed. This could be important if you share a bed and want to utilize the entire surface of the mattress.
- Trial Period – This mattress comes with a 100-night trial period; if you decide it is not right for you, the company will donate it to your charity of choice and give you a full refund.
- Warranty – Tuft & Needle offers a 10-year warranty for this product.
- Shipping – Free shipping is offered throughout the continental U.S., and it can be delivered to Alaska and Hawaii for a variable fee depending on the location.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – A third-party organization confirmed that the foam in this mattress passed inspection for hazardous materials and was proven to be safe for consumers.
- OEKO-TEX® Certified – Each component was tested and found to have safe or nonexistent levels of over 300 harmful chemicals.
- GREENGUARD Gold Certified – This certification represents a rigorous test used to establish safety for more sensitive individuals, including senior citizens and smaller children.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||39” x 75" x 12"||$595|
|Twin XL||39” x 80" x 12"||$645|
|Full||54” x 75" x 12"||$845|
|Queen||60” x 80" x 12"||$995|
|King||76” x 80" x 12"||$1145|
|Cali King||72” x 84" x 12"||$1145|
Mint is an excellent choice for sleepers who want a more luxurious Tuft & Needle experience, with added cooling capabilities, edge support, and an extra comfort layer.
Tuft & Needle’s Mint Mattress offers a versatile medium to medium-firm feel that is perfect for couples and combination sleepers. The quick response offers relief to pressure points, especially important for side sleepers, and the added edge support performs above average compared to its all-foam competitors.
An upgraded option to Tuft & Needle’s Original Mattress, the Mint is Infused with 30% more graphite and cooling gel beads, an extra three inches of highly adaptive foam, and an all-new plush cover. Those who are looking for extra cooling and support will enjoy the luxurious features at an affordable price.
Author: Sleep Advisor
Our team covers as many areas of expertise as we do time zones, but none of us started here as a so-called expert on sleep. What we do share is a willingness to ask questions (lots of them), seek experts, and dig deep into conventional wisdom to see if maybe there might be a better path towards healthy living. We apply what we learn not only to our company culture, but also how we deliver information to our over 12.7M readers.
Sleep research is changing all the time, and we are 100% dedicated to keeping up with breakthroughs and innovations. You live better if you sleep better. Whatever has brought you here, we wish you luck on your journey towards better rest.