Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Tuft & Needle could be considered an old-timer in the online industry, but they are not done creating new products to shake up their inventory. Teamed up with Serta Simmons, the brand combines old and new technology to deliver a product that they believe can suit every sleeper.
Their Original model was a heavy hitter in the online world, and while the Mint gave sleepers a more luxurious foam option, T&N recently released a product to add to the lineup. The all-new Hybrid is constructed with their tried-and-true Adaptive® foam and two coil layers for a more classic innerspring feel.
This in-depth Tuft & Needle Hybrid review will get into specifics such as firmness and feel and let you know what kinds of sleepers this mattress might be best suited for. Or you can skip to the end and see our final score.
You will love Tuft & Needle Hybrid if you:
- Are a combination sleeper – Repositioning on this mattress is a breeze, and you should not feel stuck when moving from your back to your stomach or side throughout the night.
- Share your bed with a partner – The supportive coils and reinforced edges make this bed feel bigger than it actually is, which is key for couples who want some extra space.
- Like a mattress with a deep cradle – Many sleepers enjoy the feel of a traditional spring bed but want the benefits of comforting foam. On T&N Hybrid, you do not have to choose.
You might not like Tuft & Needle Hybrid if you:
- Prefer an all-foam construction – This bed will not give you that slow, deep contouring that an all-foam or memory mattress should. Those that want a mattress that hugs them may prefer the Original or Mint mattress instead.
If you'd like to see some other types of beds, check out our best bed list for this year.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
As is customary with Tuft & Needle, this bed is vacuum-sealed and mailed to your door in a box. Since it is a hybrid, as you unbox it, the springs will pop open and the top foam layers will expand. Made with six distinct layers, T&N Hybrid is a total of 12 inches tall and is covered with a plush, breathable knit material.
There are quite a few layers here, so let’s dive in!
- The first layer contains 1 inch of quilted open-cell foam infused with carbon fiber and graphite. It is designed to maximize comfort but keep things cool, as graphite is known to dissipate heat. The carbon fiber should maintain durability and discourage breakdown.
- The second layer uses 2-inches of T&N Adaptive® foam that gives gentle pressure relief. It also contains ceramic gel beads and graphite that both encourage cooling.
- The third layer is a 1-inch transitional coil layer that adds a little bounce and supports the upper comfort foams.
- The fourth layer, sandwiched between the two spring layers, is another inch of T&N Adaptive® foam to ease into the thicker pocketed-coil support.
- The fifth layer is the main support system of the bed—6 inches of pocketed springs create a bouncier feel and are reinforced around the edges for extra durability.
- The base layer is a 1-inch high-quality polyfoam that gives those springs something to bounce off of.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
While there might be a lot going on inside the bed, overall, you should feel well-supported and comfortable, which is why this mattress scores at a 6 out of 10 on our firmness scale. Right in that medium range, this hybrid should be ideal for the majority of body compositions and sleeping positions.
When first lying down, you should come into contact with the plush knit cover and soft comfort layers. There should be some bounce and quicker response due to the coils, and most should feel a deep cradle from the gentle contouring Adaptive® foam. Repositioning should not be a problem on T&N Hybrid.
Most back sleepers should feel a happy-medium of support and comfort, and their spine should feel aligned.
Most side sleepers should benefit from the pressure-relieving top foam layers that cushion the hips and shoulders. Those who want something a touch softer may opt for the Mint.
Many stomach sleepers will love the supportive double-coiled construction that gives their hips some extra love so to maximize spine alignment.
Exclusive stomach sleepers or significantly heavier individuals sometimes prefer a firmer surface for proper spine alignment. Also, those who prefer softer mattresses and need some extra pressure relief should take a look at the Mint model.
Ever been woken up by your partner getting out of bed? Maybe your dog has jumped on the mattress (and off, and then on again) in the middle of the night and ruined your sleep. Getting a solid night’s rest is hard enough sometimes, so motion transfer is especially important for light sleepers and those who share their bed.
Beds with springs do not often score well in this area due to the bounce, but surprisingly, this hybrid performs above average. Despite the quick response and springs, you should not feel much movement on the other side of the mattress. Those who are extra worried about this or are particularly light sleepers might prefer the all-foam Original or Mint models.
Although this is not a key factor to most when purchasing a mattress, edge support can make your bed feel bigger when sharing with a partner or keep you comfortable while sitting or lying on the edge.
Tuft & Needle Hybrid has excellent edge support due to its reinforced coils; you should not feel like you are falling out of bed when close to the perimeter.
- Trial Period – The company offers a 100-night trial to try it out for yourself with free returns.
- Warranty – Tuft & Needle promises a 10-year limited warranty with your purchase.
- Shipping – Your hybrid ships free to the contiguous United States in 1-5 days and can be delivered to Alaska and Hawaii for an extra charge.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – The foam used in construction has passed inspection for safe levels of harmful gases and chemicals.
- GREENGUARD Gold Certified – This bed passes rigorous testing for low emissions for a healthier night’s sleep, especially for those who are more sensitive to off-gassing.
- Optional White Glove Delivery – For a fee, a delivery service will set up the new mattress in your home and remove your old one.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 12”||$895|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 12”||$995|
|Full||54” x 75” x 12”||$1295|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12”||$1495|
|King||76” x 80” x 12”||$1745|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 12”||$1745|
This bed takes a springy new spin on the brand’s classic model with added coil layers and quick-response foams.
T&N Hybrid is ideal for those who want the bounciness and quick-response of a spring bed with the comfort of foam. Using Adaptive® foam and two coil layers, this mattress offers a good mixture of pressure relief and support that combination sleepers should love.
From a brand that has taken the lead in a transformative industry, the new hybrid model is an exceptional option for couples and individuals alike.
Author: Sleep Advisor
Our team covers as many areas of expertise as we do time zones, but none of us started here as a so-called expert on sleep. What we do share is a willingness to ask questions (lots of them), seek experts, and dig deep into conventional wisdom to see if maybe there might be a better path towards healthy living. We apply what we learn not only to our company culture, but also how we deliver information to our over 12.7M readers.
Sleep research is changing all the time, and we are 100% dedicated to keeping up with breakthroughs and innovations. You live better if you sleep better. Whatever has brought you here, we wish you luck on your journey towards better rest.