*Disclaimer: This all-foam version of the Puffy Lux mattress is no longer available. You can read about the hybrid version of this bed in our full-length Puffy Lux Hybrid review.
Puffy felt they had created a cloud-like bed with their original mattress. Then they decided to take things a step further to create an even softer, more luxurious feel by adding extra comfort layers and cooling properties. The Puffy Lux is the company’s most popular model.
This in-depth analysis of the Puffy Lux bed will look at the properties of this product, along with some key differences between this model and the original Puffy mattress.
Check out the entire review for a comprehensive analysis of this mattress, including its strengths and features, or you can skip to the end for our overall opinion and rankings.
Excellent Matches For Puffy Lux
- Folks who like a classic memory foam experience – A deep hug and supportive body contouring should provide a classic memory foam experience. Cooling gel infused into the foam is designed to help to reduce overheating.
- Sleepers who want a luxury feel – Extra comfort layers, a plush cover feel, and enhanced cooling properties add a little extra value to the Lux.
- Individuals who need enhanced pressure relief– A plush cover and three comfort layers should provide excellent pressure relief. The foams are designed to compress or pushback as needed based on your weight and shape to provide personalized comfort.
Possible Puffy Lux Considerations:
- It has deep sinkage – This item should perform like classic memory materials with deep sinkage and hugging. Those who prefer to float on top of the bed may find Puffy’s proprietary mattress topper helps to reduce sinkage.
- Repositioning may be challenging – Because of the deep hug and slow response of the comfort layers, some sleepers with considerable mobility concerns may experience some difficulty when repositioning.
Construction: What’s inside the Puffy Lux?
The first thing you’ll notice about Puffy Lux is the company’s patented stain-resistant cloud cover. This stylish gray diamond pattern and white cloud cover can be removed for easy machine washing. Additionally, the cover is hypoallergenic and Oeko-Tex® Standard 100 Certified. The Puffy Lux is also available in a hybrid model with coils added. This construction breakdown will cover the all-foam Lux bed.
The mattress is a total of 12 inches in height.
- Below the cover is 1.5 inches of Cooling Cloud Foam. This memory foam layer is infused with cooling gel to help move heat away from the body to promote a cooler sleep experience.
- The second foam layer is 1.5 inches of Body Adapting Dual Cloud Foam. This foam is designed to add comfort while contouring to your body for personalized pressure relief. This is also unique to the Lux model.
- The third layer is 2 inches of Climate Comfort™ Foam. This was made to be a breathable foam that provides high pressure-relieving capabilities and was designed to be resistant to temperature change.
- The fourth layer is made up of 7 inches of Firm Core Support Foam. This layer is meant to provide solid support throughout the bed.
- The perimeter is a Grip Base Cover that’s made to fit with any type of bed frame and should not slide around.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
This bed arrives at your doorstep compressed in a box. After unpacking, it should take up to 2 hours for it to be ready to sleep on.
As you settle into the layers, you’ll notice how soft and luxurious this bed feels. You should experience considerable sinkage and a deep hug.
Sometimes, sleeping “in” rather than “on” the mattress can lead to overheating since your body becomes enveloped by the materials. Thankfully, this brand has included cooling features to help.
Firmness Scale: 4.5/10 (Soft Medium)
If you find yourself frequently waking up with muscle and joint pain, pressure relief may be what you need. Like sleeping on a rock, when a mattress is too firm, excess pressure is placed on your body’s natural curves. While necessary for all positions, this is especially vital for side sleepers, whose weight is concentrated in smaller areas such as their hips and shoulders. The good news is that this shouldn’t be an issue with the Puffy Lux, thanks to the Body Adapting Dual Cloud Foam that was designed to contour to your body’s shape, plus two other comfort layers above and below it.
With these three luxurious comfort layers, you should feel the foams conforming to heavier areas like the shoulders and hips, relieving pressure. This bed was specifically designed to offer that cradling experience that many people love.
One of the primary differences between the Original Puffy and this Lux version is the addition of an exclusive layer of Body Adapting Dual Cloud Foam. This layer was designed to offer balanced support and enhanced spinal alignment.
Some softer beds lack the support sleepers need to keep the spine in a neutral position. While the Lux is quite plush, the inclusion of the adapting transition layer and the firmer base should provide enough push-back support for the spine.
Sleepers looking for a little extra support may want to consider the Original Puffy or look at one of the supportive mattress toppers this brand has to offer.
This product ships directly to your doorstep rolled and compressed in a box. This keeps the prices low and should make set-up easy too.
Great Motion Isolation
You should notice very minimal motion transfer, as the dense memory foam absorbs movements, preventing them from traveling throughout the bed. This should be an ideal way to reduce sleep disruption from restless partners or energetic pets.
This mattress has many features that are designed to promote temperature regulation. Beneath the breathable cover is the initial Cooling Cloud layer that is infused with a cooling gel. The Climate Comfort™ layer was designed to resist temperature fluctuations, promoting a consistent cool feeling year-round.
The company promises to donate a mattress to a child in need for every ten new social media posts that feature customers with their Puffy bed.
Adjustable Base Compatible
The Lux can be used on any flat surface and will work well on adjustable frames. Puffy sells exclusive foundations, slatted bases, and adjustable frames through their website.
Handcrafted in the USA
- Eco-Friendly Certifications – The Puffy Lux is CertiPUR-US certified, which means the foams inside this bed are certified to be free of dangerous materials, such as formaldehyde or lead. This product was also certified by OEKO-TEX®. This shows that the materials in this product passed inspections that look for dangerous amounts of heavy metals, substances, and chemicals.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping - Puffy ships free within the continental United States. There’s an additional fee to ship to Alaska or Hawaii.
- Trial - Shoppers may try out their bed for 101 nights before making a final decision.
- Warranty - This product comes with a lifetime warranty.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||39″ x 75″ x 12″||$1,899|
|Twin XL||39″ x 80″ x 12″||$1,949|
|Full||54″ x 75″ x 12″||$2,049|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12”||$2,249|
|King||76" x 80" x 12”||$2,449|
|Cal King||72" x 84" x 12”||$2,449|
Enhanced, personalized pressure relief and extra comfort layers make this luxury version of the Puffy mattress a real dream for sleepers of most preferences.
Most side sleepers should experience enhanced pressure relief as the adaptive foam compresses under heavier areas such as the shoulders and hips, and the additional comfort layers prove a luxurious softness. The contouring should help to keep the spine neutral for maximum comfort.
Most back sleepers should enjoy solid lumbar support and a neutral spine, thanks to the conforming foam layers. However, heavier frames may find they sink too deeply through the layers, leading to an uneven spine. The company sells a firm mattress topper that may be able to help with this, though.
While this bed has a medium-soft feel, some stomach sleepers may find that it’s not supportive enough to keep the spine from becoming misaligned due to the individualized support and pushback provided by the proprietary foams. Those who do prefer a slightly firmer feel may want to opt for the original Puffy mattress.
The Lux should have minimal bounce, and the foams can be slow to respond. This may cause some combination sleepers to feel their movements are inhibited. For individuals with mobility issues, the company’s proprietary mattress topper promises more of a floating experience and can be added to the bed to help reduce that “stuck” feeling.
While couples shouldn’t have to worry about waking each other up because of the bed’s motion isolation, there is limited bounce for bedroom activities, and like many foam beds, it doesn’t have reinforced edge support. However, if both partners are looking for a plush, memory foam feel, the Lux may be the ideal choice.
The company states that this model is capable of supporting up to 350 pounds per side. While this should accommodate many heavier frames, the plush layers may not have enough support to prevent sleepers from “bottoming out.” Those with considerable weight restrictions may want to consider options specifically designed for larger frames.
Light-weight individuals tend to love softer beds, making the Puffy Lux mattress a welcome option. The highly conforming comfort layers on top should allow those with lighter frames to still get the balance of pressure relief and pushback support that they are looking for.
The company has added extra comfort layers and cooling properties to their Puffy bed to create a luxury option that is sure to provide enhanced pressure relief and a comforting hug to most shoppers. Quality materials, an adaptive design, and the knowledge that your purchase could help support someone in need lend a lot of value to this bed.
Jill Zwarensteyn is the editor for Sleep Advisor and a certified sleep science coach. She is enthusiastic about providing helpful and engaging information on all things sleep and wellness.
Based in Los Angeles, she is an experienced writer and journalist who enjoys spending her free time at the beach, hiking, reading, or exploring new places around town.
She’s also an avid traveler who has a personal goal of being able to successfully sleep on an airplane someday.