Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Are you shopping for a wedge pillow to improve the quality of your sleep? Is snoring, difficulty breathing, or reflux keeping you up at night?
Many people are turning to wedge (triangle) pillows for comfortable reading, working, and lounging in bed, and for health issues like sleep apnea, GERD, and back pain. These pillows can be placed under the head, feet, or behind the back for comfy support.
Our in-depth Helix Wedge Pillow review looks at all the features that matter, including cooling, materials, overall comfort, and support.
Keep on reading for the full scoop or scroll to the bottom for our final scoring and a brief summary of this product.
You will love Helix if you:
- Tend to sleep hot – This pillow features a cooling gel memory foam that should help “hot” sleepers to regulate their temperature during the night.
- Want a multi-functional pillow – While some wedges are too thin or small for using behind the back or under the legs, Helix offers 10-inches of support and can be used in a variety of positions. Try placing this triangle behind the back while reading or relaxing in bed.
- Suffer from back or neck pain – The mid-range incline of 10-inches makes this pillow ideal for preventing muscle aches and pains. Placed under the head or legs, Helix should help to maintain a neutral spine and reduce pressure on the lower back.
You might not like Helix if you:
- Prefer sleeping on a flat surface – Adjusting to a new sleep position may take a few nights to get used to, but many people notice an improvement in sleep quality over time.
- Suffer from heartburn or acid reflux – While this wedge is marketed as being good for these conditions, most experts recommend a wedge height of 6-8 inches for heartburn and acid reflux and Helix is slightly higher at 10-inches.
In that case, you might want to check our top rated pillows for this year and a buyer's guide.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
The outer cover features a rayon and polyester blend in a neutral tone that should complement any bedroom decor. The cover can be removed for machine washing with cold water and can be tumble dried on low.
The inside of this wedge is made of 1.5 inches of cooling gel memory foam that is designed to contour to the curves of the body, reducing head, neck, and back pain. A high-density polyurethane foam sits beneath this layer, offering additional support for the upper or lower body. In total, this pillow measures 10 inches thick, putting it in the “mid-range” incline category that is typically best for preventing muscle aches and pains.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
The Helix features a medium-firm feel with a gradual incline that should work well for most sleeping positions. The comforting memory foam is designed to gently cradle the head and neck, with a firm core for overall support. Instead of feeling like you are sleeping sitting up, this gentle incline should allow sleepers to experience all of the benefits of elevated rest but still feel like they are laying down.
Back sleepers should rest comfortably thanks to the generous support of the polyurethane foam core with minimal sinkage. The memory foam should provide good pressure relief, but side sleepers may find that the angle of the product places some pressure on the shoulders if using this without a traditional pillow too. The angle of this product is not intended for use by stomach sleepers.
This product features a medium-firmness with a gentle incline and is designed to be used under the head for back and neck support or under the legs to reduce pressure on the lower back. Sleeping in a slightly elevated position may also help to improve conditions like acid reflux, snoring, and difficulty breathing.
This cushion can be used behind the back to prop you up for comfy support while reading, watching TV, or relaxing in bed. The Helix could also make a great work station for holding a laptop or catching up on some other work from the comfort of your bed.
The unique design of this wedge means you can use it in addition to or in replacement of your normal pillow. Most sleepers find that using their normal pillow on top of this wedge helps them to adjust to sleeping at an incline more quickly and rest the most comfortably.
Memory foam is a very dense substance that tends to build in heat throughout the night. This product features a cooling gel in the foam that should help to regulate temperature if you sleep hot. Cooling technology in the form of gel beads or shredded gel particles built into the memory materials and is designed to disperse and regulate heat, maintaining a cool temperature while you sleep.
Noise & Smell
Like most foam-based products, this pillow has a slight odor as soon as it is unboxed but it quickly dissipates. If you are particularly sensitive to smells or are worried about off-gassing, you could air it out in a well-ventilated area or leave it outside for a short period of time.
Helix performs well in minimizing motion transfer and makes no noise when you change positions. This can be very helpful for your bed-mate if you are a sleeper who moves around a lot during the night.
- Warranty – Shoppers can take advantage of a generous 3-Year Warranty against any manufacturer defects.
- Shipping – Free shipping is available within the contiguous United States. Shipping rates apply for orders to Canada.
- Trial – A 100-Night Sleep Trial is available for this product with a full refund available within the time period.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – The Helix was reviewed by a third party that ensures safe levels of harsh chemicals, heavy metals, or formaldehyde.
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Standard||24" x 24" x 10"||$95|
The Helix Wedge Pillow is designed for comfort and support for the upper or lower body or resting comfortably in bed.
The Helix Wedge Pillow is all about you and your personal needs and preferences. This cushion is designed to be used in many different ways and positions to provide comfort, support, and temperature regulation for a great night’s rest.
Use this wedge on its own, or pair it with one of the amazing pillows that Helix has to offer.