Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Do you like the idea of a mattress that can change with your needs? Are you looking for a firmer bed but still curious about different materials and feels?
Ecosa got its start in Australia and caught everyone’s attention with a video demonstrating the brand’s motion isolation with a glass of wine. After that video went viral, the company began expanding to new shores, including Hong Kong and now the United States.
Our in-depth review of the versatile Ecosa mattress will take you through all three layers that combine the feel of a memory bed, latex, and an all-foam brand into one. Its 3-in-1 adjustability allows you to place any one of these three layers on the top for a different firmness and experience. There are three different configurations, but our review will feature the Medium, which is the brand’s softest setting.
If you’re curious for more details, keep reading for a layer-by-layer analysis, or go ahead and jump to the end to read our assessment of the mattress’ overall value.
You will love Ecosa if you:
- Want a firmer mattress with different feels – There are three firmness options available within this one product and all are firmer than what we consider to be Medium. Depending on your preference, you can go with a contouring memory foam feel, a bouncier latex-like feel, or a harder poly-foam feel, depending on what works best with your body.
- Are a light sleeper – The motion isolation here is exceptional, so those who wake easily should sleep soundly without worrying about being woken by a restless partner.
- Have allergies – This brand has a machine washable cover which can help you keep your sleep space clean, and there is also a second cover that is made to keep out bacteria-breeding moisture and possible dust mites.
You might not like Ecosa if you:
- Prefer a softer mattress – In its softest configuration, this brand is still on the firmer side of Medium, which is great news for those who prefer this feel, such as exclusive stomach sleepers or those who carry a bit of extra weight. Also, harder foams do have a tendency to soften up over time. Exclusive side sleepers who need a bit extra pressure relief may be better suited by another brand.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
Ecosa is a bed-in-a-box all-foam brand that ships directly to your house. It’s compatible with many different foundation types, including adjustable bases, or you can place it directly on the floor.
This brand has two separate covers. The first is a soft polyester that can be removed and washed in a washing machine. The second, which is called a Waterproof German Tech protector, is made to be resistant to moisture that can accumulate from sweat or body oils as well as possible dust mites.
This 10-inch mattress’ 3-in-1 adjustability has three different layers which can be flipped or reordered to provide a different feel. The following discussion of the construction takes you through the layers in its Medium configuration.
- The first layer stands 1.5 inches tall and is made from the company’s G7 Memory Foam. This aerated material contours to your shape to relieve pressure points but won’t let you sink too deeply. Gel particles that are suspended in the foam help keep you from overheating. Its blue color helps you identify it.
- The second layer is called Eco-Tex and is the company’s proprietary upgrade on a traditional latex feel. This 1.5-inch layer cradles your body with aerated foam but has a quick response time that should prevent you from feeling stuck in the mattress. You can tell which it is because it’s white.
- The third layer is colored yellow cut with grooves so that it resembles a chocolate bar, and these channels help air flow through to help regulate temperature. The 6.5 inches of dense poly foam also assist with ergonomic spine alignment and even weight support.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
When in its Medium configuration, we put this brand at a 7 out of 10 on our firmness scale, which evaluates mattresses from 1 to 10 or softest to hardest (you can see how it works here). This Medium-Firm setting should be the most versatile and work with the most different body types and sleep position preferences, but if you want an even firmer feel, you can reset the layers to achieve an 8 or a 9.
With the memory foam layer on top, the surface has a slower response time than the other two layers and gives you that classically slow sink-in feeling that conforms to your curves and relieves your pressure. The layers below are much quicker to respond, but it has minimal bounce.
Even with the softest layer on the top, you should not sink further than a gentle cradle in this mattress, which is great for combination sleepers. This settings’ versatility can accommodate a variety of position choices.
Most back sleepers should like how the memory foam conforms to their lumbar spine while the foams beneath support their neutral alignment (learn more here). Back sleepers who are lighter than average may have trouble sinking into the firmer settings and may prefer the feel of the Medium.
Side sleepers may also prefer this softest setting because it offers the most pressure relief of the three, and this is of particular value to those sleeping on their side with their weight balanced on a narrower surface (see the preferences here if you love to lay on your side). Side sleepers who are heavier may try out the other two settings because their weight may be heavy enough to achieve the cradling they require. Exclusive side sleepers are significantly lighter may be better served by a softer brand.
This mattress really shines for stomach sleepers of a variety of shapes and sizes because its firmness works well to keep your hips level with the rest of your body so that you’re sleeping comfortably with your spine nicely aligned (learn more about belly sleepers here). Those who are heavier can easily adjust the bed to a higher setting for extra support if they feel they need it.
The manufacturer suggests the Medium setting for everyone up to 195 pounds, while the alternative settings could be better suited for those over those weights. This brand is one of few all-foam mattresses that can support heavier weights, and the manufacturer recommended limit is 440 for each side, or 880 pounds total.
Motion isolation is what got the world’s attention focused on Ecosa, and it does perform exceptionally well here, especially in the Medium or memory foam setting. The foams capture motion at its source and prevent it from traveling to a sleeping partner, helping to ensure your rest remains undisturbed.
Bed-in-a-box brands do not typically excel in this category because they require a compression process that enables their smaller shipping boxes. This product was average compared to other mattresses in the space. You may notice some compression when sitting or lying really close to the edge, but the firmer base should support and secure your weight when you’re sleeping.
- Multiple Firmness Settings – You can adjust it at home between three different firmness settings and feels just by flipping and/or reordering the foams inside of it.
- Trial Period – You can try out this bed for 100 nights, and if you do not think it works for you, you can arrange to have it picked up and your money refunded.
- Warranty – This product comes with a warranty that lasts 15 years.
- Shipping – There is free shipping and returns available on this mattress within the United States. This product is also available in Australia, New Zealand, and Hong Kong.
- OEKO-Tex® Standard 100 – This certification indicates that textiles used in this mattress were tested at every stage of their development process and found to meet rigorous safety standards that check for potentially harmful chemicals and other substances.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – Foams certified to this standards have met third-party standards for safety for materials like formaldehyde, lead, mercury, and other potentially hazardous substances.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||39” x 75” x 10”||$749|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 10”||$799|
|Full||54” x 75” x 10”||$899|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 10”||$999|
|King||76” x 80” x 10”||$1,099|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 10”||$1,099|
Ecosa’s 3-in-1 adjustability holds a lot of appeal for those folks who are looking for a firmer bed and want to test out different foam feels. Whether you’re wanting a more memory, poly, or latex feel, this ergonomic brand excels in spine alignment.
Ecosa’s popularity caught fire “down under” and now, by popular demand, the company has brought this mattress to the United States. This firmer brand delivers a surprising amount of variety and exceptional motion isolation to the all-foam bed-in-a-box space.
In the bed’s softest setting, you can enjoy the slow sink of memory foam without disappearing into the materials, or you can turn the top layer over to get a bouncier latex-like feel that the company has designed to be more durable than traditional materials. By putting the third layer on the top, you achieve the firmest setting for the ultimate experience in spine alignment, and the bed’s overall firmness can accommodate even those with significantly higher weight considerations.
If you’ve been searching for a firmer mattress that can adjust and change with your changing life, the answer may have been waiting in Australia. Now that it’s arrived in the US, the company will only continue to grow.
Author: Sleep Advisor
Our team covers as many areas of expertise as we do time zones, but none of us started here as a so-called expert on sleep. What we do share is a willingness to ask questions (lots of them), seek experts, and dig deep into conventional wisdom to see if maybe there might be a better path towards healthy living. We apply what we learn not only to our company culture, but also how we deliver information to our over 12.7M readers.
Sleep research is changing all the time, and we are 100% dedicated to keeping up with breakthroughs and innovations. You live better if you sleep better. Whatever has brought you here, we wish you luck on your journey towards better rest.