The Cocoon Chill Hybrid was developed by Sealy, mattress veterans since 1881. It’s the hybrid version of their Cocoon Chill memory foam model, adding a layer of pocketed coils for an element of responsive support that traditional innerspring beds are known for.
If you’re making your first foray into the world of memory foam, or can’t agree with your partner on whether to buy innerspring or memory foam, then this is definitely an option worth considering. This could be a great choice for memory foam lovers who find themselves overheating, as the bed features cooling properties.
Who We Recommend The Cocoon Chill Hybrid For:
- Lightweight sleepers – Lighter sleepers up to 130 pounds should experience a good balance of comfort and support, whether they’re sleeping on their back, side or stomach. However, those who prefer a more plush mattress may find it too firm.
- Couples – The memory foam layer and individually wrapped coils in the support layer work together to offer good motion isolation, meaning you shouldn’t be disturbed by a restless partner (or pet).
- Hot sleepers – This mattress features a breathable, cool-to-the-touch cover with phase change material, which absorbs and dissipates body heat, while individually pocketed coils in the support layer offer airflow, making it suitable for warmer sleepers.
Who We Don’t Recommend The Cocoon Chill Hybrid For:
- Stomach sleepers – This mattress will likely be too soft for average to heavyweight stomach sleepers weighing over 130 pounds, as you may find your hips sinking, which will put your spine out of alignment.
- Heavyweight combination sleepers – Combination sleepers weighing more than 230 pounds will likely experience unwanted sinkage when sleeping on their side or stomach. The slow-moving memory foam may make changing positions uncomfortable.
- Heavyweight couples – The Cocoon Chill Hybrid has a total weight limit of 500 pounds, so won’t be suitable for couples with a combined weight exceeding that.
First Impressions: Firmness & Feel
Firmness Scale: 7/10
Please remember that firmness is a subjective characteristic and your shape will dictate how you experience a bed. A heavier person whose weight can more easily push through softer comfort and support layers may experience a bed as softer than a lightweight person. The way you are shaped could also play a role here. Consider your weight, shape, and size when evaluating firmness scores.
We rated the Cocoon Chill Hybrid as 7 out of 10 on our firmness scale, with 1 being the most soft and 10 being the most firm. This makes the Cocoon Chilld Hybrid mattress a slightly firm bed — only a touch firmer than the industry standard for medium-firm, which is 6.5.
Lighter-weight sleepers will find this mattress feels more firm than heavier sleepers will, so those weighing under 130 pounds who prefer a softer mattress may feel this doesn’t offer enough pressure relief. Conversely, heavyweight people may sink into the bed too much, which could compromise support.
How Does It Feel?
The Cocoon Chill Hybrid features a special cover designed for temperature regulation. You’ll notice that the stretch-knit cover is cool-to-the-touch, while still feeling cozy.
The memory foam top layer offers an element of sinkage as it cradles your body. A second layer of cushioning foam helps reduce motion transfer, allowing for support without too much sinkage for light to average weight sleepers. However, this bed may not offer enough support for heavyweight sleepers.
What We Like About the Cocoon Chill Hybrid
- Motion isolation – A combination of memory foam and pocketed spring coils means this mattress offers superior motion isolation, allowing for restful sleep even when your partner or pet moves or gets out of bed.
- Cooling properties – Traditional memory foam is notorious for overheating, but this mattress features a cooling cover that dissipates body heat, and a spring coil layer, which allows for airflow.
- Good for combination sleepers – This bed offers pressure relief while also responding to your movements, so it may suit those who sleep in a range of positions. The only exception may be significantly heavier combination sleepers.
Our Cocoon Chill Hybrid Complaints
- Not suitable for heavier people – While sleepers weighing up to 230 pounds may find this offers enough support when sleeping on their backs, heavier side and front sleepers could experience uncomfortable sinkage in the hip and shoulder areas.
- Initial smell – Like many bed in a box products, this mattress has an initial, unpleasant off-gassing smell, which may last up to 24 hours once unboxed.
- Shorter trial period and warranty – The Cocoon Chill Hybrid comes with a 100-night trial period and 10-year limited warranty, which are both shorter than some competitors.
Testing the Cocoon Chill Hybrid mattress: How it Performed
We tested this mattress for key qualities like support, pressure relief, responsiveness, edge support, motion isolation and cooling properties. These help us to understand what the mattress has to offer individuals when it comes to body weight, sleeping positions, and sleeping preferences. Additionally, the Cocoon Chill Hybrid has reinforced edges, so we tested this to see if it performed well enough to sit or sleep on the edge of the bed without sinkage.
Sleeping Positions for Different Body Types
The Cocoon Chill Hybrid can support a total of 500 pounds, or 250 pounds per side if you’re sharing your bed with a partner. This means it may not be suitable for two heavyweight partners.
|Weight||Side Sleepers||Back Sleepers||Stomach Sleepers|
|Lightweight Sleepers (-130 lbs)||★★☆||★★★||★★☆|
|Average-Weight Sleepers (130-230 lbs)||★★☆||★★★||★☆☆|
|Heavyweight Sleepers (+230 lbs)||☆☆☆||☆☆☆||☆☆☆|
- Lightweight Sleepers – Lightweight side sleepers who like a firmer mattress may find this comfortable, but those needing more pressure relief may prefer a softer mattress for better cushioning.
- Average Weight Sleepers – Average-weight side sleepers with shoulder pain or a preference for plusher mattresses could find this too firm.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – This bed doesn’t offer enough pressure relief for heavyweight side sleepers, who may experience discomfort around the hip and shoulder areas.
- Lightweight Sleepers – This mattress offers a good balance of comfort and support for back sleepers who weigh up to 130 pounds and prefer a mattress on the firmer side.
- Average Weight Sleepers – This bed should also provide adequate support for average-weight back sleepers, who shouldn’t experience too much sinkage.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Back sleepers weighing over 230 pounds will likely find their hips sinking into the mattress, which could cause lower back issues.
- Lightweight Sleepers – Stomach sleepers under 130 pounds should find this supportive enough to keep their hips raised and their spine in alignment.
- Average Weight Sleepers – Those weighing 130 – 230 pounds who sleep on their front may find their hips sinking into the mattress, potentially causing aches and pains.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Front sleepers weighing over 230 pounds will likely experience a lot of unwanted sinkage and would be better suited to a firmer mattress.
Pressure Relief & Pain
You want your mattress to provide the perfect level of pressure relief for your body — gently cradling your joints without digging into pressure points like the shoulders, hips, and back. Memory foam typically does a great job of molding to the body, however, lighter weight side sleepers may find this particular mattress too firm to offer adequate pressure relief. Heavier sleepers will likely find themselves sinking too far into the memory foam, which will misalign their spine, potentially causing back pain.
Back Pain – Slightly firm mattresses are often recommended for those experiencing back pain, and the Cocoon Chill Hybrid appears to be a good option for back sleepers with lower back issues, as it’s supportive without adding extra pressure to the spine. Lightweight sleepers may find this bed offers relief from back pain when lying on their stomachs, however, this may not be the case for those weighing more than 130 pounds.
Hip Pain – As well as back discomfort, stomach sleepers over 130 pounds may find their hips sinking into the mattress, potentially causing aches and pains in that area. Having said that, the mattress should be supportive enough for back and side sleepers, as it’s likely firm enough to keep your hips in alignment with your spine.
Shoulder Pain – We think this bed is suitable for most side sleepers, as we found only a small amount of pressure in the shoulder area. However, that may not be the case for those who experience significant shoulder pain, who could benefit from a softer memory foam mattress.
Memory foam is designed to contour and support the body, and this mattress’ transition layer of cushioning foam is engineered to offer support without too much sinkage. However, this will depend on your sleeping position and body weight. At 7 out of 10 on our firmness scale, the mattress is slightly firmer than the industry average, so it will be more supportive for average to heavy weight sleepers than softer competitors.
The layer of responsive pocketed coils is designed to offer support, with some bounce, to keep your body correctly aligned while you sleep. Individually encased in fabric, the coils can move independently to further tailor to your body.
Minimal motion transfer is important when sharing a bed with a partner (or pet) because you don’t want to be disturbed if they move around or get out of bed before you. We found this performed well on all our tests for motion transfer.
The top layer of cushioning foam absorbs movement, while the individually pocketed coils allow for further motion isolation, helping you to get a good night’s sleep even if your partner tosses and turns.
Temperature Regulation / Cooling
Memory foam is known for being warm, but this bed offers a number of features to keep your temperature regulated. First, we have the cooling top cover, made with Sealy’s cool-to-the-touch phase change material. Then there are the pocketed coils, allowing for airflow, which makes the bed more breathable, lowering the overall temperature.
Do you live in a warmer climate or sleep extra hot? For an additional 199 dollars, you can upgrade to Extra-Chill Technology, which means you get cooling yarns woven into the cover and a cooling memory foam layer.
Performance for Couples
The superior motion isolation in the Cocoon Chill Hybrid makes this mattress ideal for couples. Despite having a memory foam top layer, we found this mattress was fairly responsive thanks to the support coil layer, so you should be able to change positions comfortably. The mattress also features a reinforced edge, meaning couples can make use of the whole top surface area. However, with a maximum total weight of 500 pounds, this bed won’t be suitable for heavier couples.
Exceptional Edge Support
The Cocoon Chill Hybrid features Hybrid Quantum Edge® technology, engineered with reinforced steel coils around the perimeter, which makes the mattress firmer towards the edges, for superior edge support. This also means the mattress should last longer without starting to dip at the edges, offering durability and value for money.
Do you love memory foam but hate the hot feel? This hybrid model could be a great compromise thanks to the pocketed spring layer, which increases breathability and airflow, and the cool-to-the-touch top cover that’s designed to absorb and disperse body heat. You can make the mattress even cooler by upgrading to Extra-Chill Technology for 199 dollars.
Great Motion Isolation
Memory foam is known for its motion isolation qualities, and despite this hybrid mattress having a spring layer, it still manages to minimize motion transfer thanks to the individually pocketed coils, which help to isolate any movement from a pet or partner.
The Cocoon Chill Hybrid is delivered compressed in a box, making it easier to get it from your front door to your bedroom. The delivery box is designed to fit through a standard door frame and be handled by one person. The box dimensions for all sizes of the mattress are 15 inches x 15 inches x 44 inches. The manufacturer advises unboxing as soon as possible after delivery, as leaving it longer than 30 days could cause damage. However, we imagine you’ll want to have a great night’s sleep as soon as possible anyway, so we doubt this will be an issue.
Adjustable Base Compatible
The Cocoon Chill Hybrid is compatible with adjustable bases.
Construction: What’s Inside Cocoon Chill Hybrid?
The Cocoon Chill Hybrid mattress stands at a total of 12 inches tall, offering a great middle-ground height that’s not too tall or too short. The top of this mattress features a cool-to-the-touch, stretch-knit cover made from Sealy’s phase change material, which is designed to absorb and dissipate body heat, keeping your temperature regulated all night long.
- Below the cover is the comfort layer, made from Perfect Fit Memory Foam. This foam offers slow-moving responsiveness to contour your body for pressure relief with a little sinkage for comfort.
- The second foam layer is a transition unit, offering more cushioning foam to reduce motion transfer and prevent unnecessary sinkage. The foam here responds faster than the top layer to prevent you from feeling ‘stuck’ in the bed, which can happen with memory foam. This layer should be helpful to combination sleepers or those with limited mobility.
- The innerspring unit is a support layer of responsive, individually pocketed coils, designed to reduce motion isolation and increase airflow while keeping the body lifted and the spine in alignment. Coils around the edge of the bed are made from reinforced steel, offering superior edge support for those who like to spread out or sit on the edge of the mattress.
- The base layer is a durable support layer of high-density poly foam, providing additional firmness and lifting.
Unboxing & Off-Gassing
The bed is delivered compressed in a box. After unboxing, place the packaged mattress on your bed, remove the plastic wrapping, and unroll it. The bed will reach close to its full size after one minute, but it can take up to 48 hours for full expansion.
The manufacturer states that it’s okay to sleep on it straight away, but you may want to give it some time to air out since this bed will likely produce some initial off-gassing. This is normal for bed-in-a-box deliveries and is the result of chemical by-products escaping after being trapped inside a vacuum pack. Keep the room ventilated, and the smell should disappear within a few hours.
- Eco-Friendly Certifications – The foams in this bed are CertiPUR-US® certified. CertiPUR-US® is a third-party program that ensures the foams meet rigorous health and safety standards. This means they don’t contain harmful substances like ozone depleters, PBDEs, heavy metals, formaldehyde, and phthalates. They should also have low volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping – Shipping is free within the United States. Your bed will be delivered by UPS Ground, and you will be provided with a tracking number.
- White-Glove Delivery – White glove delivery isn’t offered, so you will have to set the mattress up yourself, as well as arrange the disposal of your old one.
- Trial – You have 100 nights to decide whether this is the bed of your dreams. If it isn’t, you’ll receive a full refund.
- Warranty – The mattress has a 10-year, full-replacement limited warranty, which covers defects and indentations in the memory foam greater than 1 inch.
- Return Policy – Return shipping is free within the 100-night trial period. Your old mattress will be donated to charity.
Sizes & Prices
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 74.5” x 12”||$1,139|
|Twin XL||38” x 79.5” x 12”||$1,309|
|Full||53” x 74.5” x 12”||$1,469|
|Queen||60” x 79.5” x 12”||$1,699|
|King||76” x 795” x 12”||$1,999|
|Cali King||72” x 84.5” x 12”||$1,999|
Frequently Asked Questions
How long before you can sleep on the Cocoon Chill Hybrid?
The manufacturer states that you can sleep on it right away, but we recommend giving it a few hours to allow the initial off-gassing smell to disappear.
Is the mattress hot?
Despite having a memory foam layer, the mattress keeps you cool thanks to a heat-dissipating top cover and breathability provided by the pocket spring layer.
Is the Cocoon Chill Hybrid made in the USA?
Yes, the Cocoon Chill Hybrid is designed and made in the USA.
Cocoon Chill Hybrid vs Other Brands
Cocoon Chill Hybrid vs DreamCloud
- Cool-to-the-touch top cover
- 7/10 firmness
- 100-night trial period and 10-year warranty
- Cashmere-blend pillow top cover
- 5.5/10 firmness
- 365-night trial period and lifetime warranty
Who We Recommend the Cocoon Chill Hybrid For
- Those requiring a firmer mattress
- Lighter-weight combination sleepers
- Shoppers who prefer a slightly thinner mattress
Who We Recommend the DreamCloud For
- Those who need a longer trial period and warranty
- Hot sleepers who require additional cooling properties
- Those who prefer a softer mattress
Interested? Read our full DreamCloud Mattress Review.
Cocoon Chill Hybrid vs Titan Plus
- Top layers of traditional memory foam
- 7/10 firmness
- Phase change material in the cover
- Designed for plus-size sleepers
- Gel-infused memory foam
- 6.5-7/10 firmness
Who We Recommend the Cocoon Chill Hybrid For
- Lighter-weight sleepers
- People needing a less-heavy mattress for easier transport
- Mixed-weight couples
Who We Recommend the Titan Plus For
- Heavyweight sleepers
- Shoppers with a smaller budget
- People who need pressure relief
Read our Titan Plus Mattress Review if you think the Titan Plus is right for you.
Cocoon Chill Hybrid vs Other Cocoon Models
Cocoon Chill Hybrid vs Cocoon Chill Memory Foam
- Spring and foam construction
- Reinforced perimeter
- Responsive support
- All-foam mattress
- Traditional memory foam feel
- Quality construction
Who We Recommend the Cocoon Chill Hybrid For
- Sleepers needing a compromise between a memory foam and innerspring mattress
- Those with mobility issues
- Hot sleepers
Who We Recommend the Cocoon Chill Memory Foam For
- Budget shoppers
- Fans of traditional memory foam beds
- Light sleepers requiring more motion isolation
Explore our Cocoon Chill Memory Foam Mattress Review.
The Cocoon Chill Hybrid is a 12-inch hybrid made with a mix of foam layers and supportive coils. It’s best suited for light to average-weight people who sleep on their side or back, but some sleepers may find the mattress too soft or firm, depending on their body weight.
Lightweight and average side sleepers who prefer softer mattresses with more pressure relief will likely find this too firm. However if those people like sleeping on firmer surfaces, this may well provide enough comfort and support. This mattress isn’t suitable for heavyweight side sleepers, as there’ll be too much pressure on the shoulders.
This bed is ideal for back sleepers weighing from around 130-230 pounds, who will find the memory foam cradles their body while offering enough support to keep the spine in healthy alignment. Heavier back sleepers are likely to experience discomfort from lack of support. Lighter weight back sleepers will enjoy this if they prefer a firmer mattress.
Stomach sleepers need lots of support from a mattress, as the hips tend to sink easily, putting the spine out of alignment, causing back issues. Front sleepers weighing less than 130 pounds should find this mattress works well for hip support, but any heavier and you may experience uncomfortable sinkage and misalignment.
Lightweight combination sleepers will find transitioning positions a dream, thanks to the responsiveness of this bed, but only if they find firmer mattresses comfortable to sleep on. It’s also a treat for average-weight people who move from their side to their back, but if stomach sleeping is in your nighttime repertoire, you’ll be lacking hip support.
This mattress may be a good middle ground for couples with differing preferences for firmness. Motion isolation and cooling properties mean you’re less likely to be disturbed by a restless partner or overheat due to someone else being in the bed. However, heavier couples may exceed the total weight limit of 500 pounds.
We found this mattress didn’t offer enough support for heavyweight sleepers weighing over 230 pounds, who will likely find themselves sinking uncomfortably, waking up with aches and pains in their joints.
The Cocoon Chill Hybrid is near perfect for lightweight sleepers up to 130 pounds, who’ll experience exceptional support and comfort from the memory foam. However, side and back sleepers who prefer a softer mattress may find this uncomfortable, and a plusher bed may be preferable.
Average Weight Sleepers
Back sleepers weighing between 130-230 pounds will enjoy a good balance of comfort and support on this mattress. Side sleepers with a preference for firmer mattresses will also sleep soundly, but front sleepers may find their hips sink, causing discomfort in the night.
The Cocoon Chill Hybrid is a great value mattress for those seeking a more responsive option to traditional memory foam, and it’s a good compromise for couples or solo sleepers who are unsure of buying a memory foam or innerspring bed.
We think the Cocoon Chill Hybrid could be a great match for back sleepers weighing up to 230 pounds and lightweight combination sleepers, who will experience balanced comfort and spinal support.
Couples will appreciate the motion isolation, responsive coils, and cooling properties, though overall comfort is dependent on the body weights and sleeping positions of both parties. The reinforced edge perimeter allows couples to maximize the sleeping area of the bed.
This mattress is unlikely to be a good match for heavier sleepers due to the lack of adequate support in the hip and shoulder areas. The 500-pound weight limit also makes it unsuitable for heavier couples.
Lisa is a content writer for Sleep Advisor, which combines two of her greatest passions – writing and sleeping. She can also be found writing about fitness, sustainability and vegan food.
Her life revolves around her two rescue dogs (who she shares her bed with) and if she’s not running around after them, she’s likely doing yoga, buying new plants, or enjoying a sunset rum at the beach.
Writing for Sleep Advisor has made her realise she needs a new mattress, stat.