Are you looking for a mattress you can relax in without breaking the bank? Until recently, high quality meant a high price tag—but not anymore.
Since 2014, Casper has been a pioneer in the bed-in-a-box marketplace, and they’ve never been content to let the dust settle. They are constantly updating and refining their products based on feedback from their customers. The newest addition to the company’s product line has been streamlined for the entry-level space.
Our in-depth review of the Casper Element (formerly Essential) will take you through all three layers and how they work to keep you comfy and cool. To see how this mattress stacks up, read on for our full analysis, or skip ahead for our overall impressions and score.
• Excludes Sale
Click the button below and use our coupon code "SLEEPADVISOR10" at checkout.
Who Do We Think Matches With Casper Element?
- Shoppers on a budget – You do not have to sacrifice good sleep, even if you’re on a budget. The Element was engineered using Casper’s research to offer excellent value and a competitive price.
- Combination sleepers – The bed’s medium firmness level works well for most sleep positions. You will sleep more on top of the mattress than in it, so combination sleepers who change position in the night should not have difficulty adjusting because they are less likely to feel stuck.
- Foam lovers who sleep hot – All of the foams in this bed are open-celled, which means they promote airflow and help reduce heat retention. Foams that tend to trap more heat were strategically placed deeper in the mattress to isolate heat away from the body. Sleeping closer to the top will also expose more of your body’s surface area to the air, which will help with temperature regulation.
Possible Casper Element Complaints:
- Heavier sleepers may find it too soft. – The mattress will work well for most sleepers, but those who are significantly heavier may want to upgrade to the original Casper or the Casper Wave, which will be slightly thicker and have additional support features.
Construction: What’s Inside Casper Element?
The Element contains 2 distinct layers of foam and stands 11 inches high. The zip-off cover consists of upholstery-grade polyester knit that is designed to be extremely durable and removable, making for easy spot cleaning.
- The first layer is a 2-inch layer of breathable AirScape™ comfort foam that promotes airflow for temperature regulation, as well as quick-response and bounce that helps with ease of repositioning.
- The second layer is 8.5 inches of conventional durable base foam that forms the bed’s foundation and stability, providing support for the sleeper.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
The Casper Element is compressed and shipped to your doorstep in a box. Like most all-foam designs, it requires a foundation with direct support, so look for slatted frames with slats no more than 4 inches apart, metal frames, platforms, or adjustable bases. Foundations designed specifically for the Element can be found on Casper’s website.
Unlike its ghostly counterpart, this Casper has an attractive charcoal color that stands out in a sea of white beds. This dark cover is great for accidental spills if you like enjoying coffee or the occasional breakfast in bed. The cover is durable, soft to the touch, and thin enough to allow you to sink into the foams at the top.
Lying down, you should feel your weight pass through the soft, quick-responding comfort foam first and meet the visco-elastic memory foam that is designed to contour to your body’s curves. The heavier parts of your body should be supported by the denser base layer.
Firmness Scale: 6/10
In certain sleeping positions, pressure can build up in areas that absorb the bulk of your body weight such as the shoulders and hips when lying on your side. Many people love how foam materials conform to their body shape, absorbing some of the excess weight.
The Casper is made up of three foam layers, so it was designed to excel in this category. While the top layer provides comfort and softness, it also is a more responsive type of foam, so you should never feel stuck when you want to move around or change positions. This is especially important for individuals with limited mobility and couples who are looking for a little more bounce for bedroom activities.
The transition layer is made from memory foam, which is built for relieving pressure that can cause pain in your joints. As you sink through the initial plush surface, you should feel this middle layer cradling your curves in a gentle hug.
While some all-foam beds lack the support that certain frames need for spinal alignment, Casper engineered the Element with a supportive and durable base layer. This model was designed to be versatile enough to accommodate a wide range of body frames and sleeping positions without compromising on support.
While this bed should work well for most individuals, those with considerable weight considerations may find that they are better served by Casper’s newest addition, the Wave.
Optional White Glove Delivery
The company can arrange for your mattress to be professionally delivered for an additional fee.
By shipping this mattress directly to your door, the company can keep costs low, which allows them to pass along the savings to you.
Great Motion Isolation
This all-foam construction really excels in the motion transfer category because of its ability to absorb and isolate movement and keep it from traveling to other parts of the bed.
Adjustable Base Compatible
Casper recommends a foundation with direct support, such as a slatted foundation (with slats less than 4 inches apart), a metal frame, a platform bed, or an adjustable bed frame.
Designed in the USA
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping - Shipping is free in the USA and Canada, as well as returns. Additional fees may apply for Hawaii, Alaska, and certain areas of Canada. Terms and conditions apply.
- Trial - You may try the mattress for 100 nights risk-free and return it for a full refund if you aren’t completely satisfied.
- Warranty - The Element is backed by a 10-year limited warranty.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||39” x 75” x 11”||$249|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 11”||$299|
|Full||54” x 75” x 11”||$374|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 11”||$449|
|King||76” x 80” x 11”||$574|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 11”||$574|
The Casper Element is a budget-friendly, high-quality option from an award-winning bed-in-a-box pioneer.
The plush comfort layer is a welcome addition for side sleepers who benefit from softer materials. Most side sleepers should feel the pressure-relieving visco-elastic second layer mold to their shoulders and hips, which may remove the stress placed on these parts in this position.
Most back sleepers should feel the soft comfort foam mold into their lumbar area, while the supportive base layer keeps the spine in alignment. The medium firmness is a good fit for back sleepers who need additional support.
Softer beds are not typically the best fit for stomach sleepers who need extra support to prevent their backs from arching. Most stomach sleepers should not feel their hips fall too low or their spine dip out of alignment when lying down, but those committed to this position may want to consider Casper’s original model, which has graduated zoning for extra support in the mid-section.
Foam beds aren’t known for having much bounce, but the Element is different. It has a small amount of bounce and quick-responding foam that should help with repositioning. Combination sleepers should not have trouble moving around on this mattress and should be comfortable in most positions.
The Element excels in its ability to isolate motion. Those who share their sleeping space shouldn’t have to worry that their tossing and turning will disturb their partner. The added bounce is also a nice feature for couples to have.
The Element is an extremely affordable product that will accommodate a lot of people’s needs and preferences. However, because this mattress is slightly thinner than other Casper models, significantly heavier people may risk bottoming out and may look to upgrade their mattress to the original or Wave models that will provide more substantial supportive features.
The plush top layer and conforming memory foam core should be a welcome addition for lighter frames who often find most beds feel too firm. Having the extra responsiveness means that even light-weight sleepers should be able to activate the pressure-relieving foams to experience the full capacity of this bed.
The Casper Element is built with the company’s attention to detail and meticulous research, and its simple three-foam design was engineered with value in mind. The open-cell foams and its strategically streamlined construction aim to keep you cool and comfortable all night long. A durable cover and base layer are designed to support you through years of use.
Overall, the Element is a wonderful addition to Casper’s award-winning product line with a model that is designed to fit any budget.