Are you looking for a way to give back to your community when buying a new mattress? This is entirely possible with Sweet Zzz’s dedication to charity work. The company donates one percent of every purchase toward environmental research, but they also donate to LA Food Bank and breast cancer research.
We tested their Nature’s Novel bed to have a better understanding of its construction, feel, and performance. Although we think it’s a good match for community-minded shoppers, you should also consider its motion isolation, edge support, pressure relief, and other similar factors.
You will love Nature’s Novel if you:
- Want firm support – This mattress has a responsive upper layer and a dense core, so you should experience a firm comfort level and solid support across the entire bed.
- Prefer a quick response – We found the latex layers in this bed have a quick response. This allows them to reshape quickly when you switch positions, making the bed excellent for combination and restless sleepers.
- Are a stomach sleeper – The Nature’s Novel mattress has a medium-firm to firm feel, depending on your exact body weight. We think this should work nicely for most stomach sleepers as the bed keeps the hips supported in a healthy sleep posture.
You might not like Nature’s Novel if you:
- Are an exclusive side sleeper – We know most side sleepers usually prefer softer mattresses that allow a deeper hug for more pressure relief on the hips, knees, and shoulders. For this reason, some side sleepers may find the Nature’s Novel mattress a bit too firm, especially if they’re under 130 pounds.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
Nature’s Novel is a latex mattress that comes in a box. You can use it with any frame, including an adjustable frame, if you want more customization from your bed.
The construction starts with an inch of wool and cotton quilted together. The cover feels soft to the touch, and the wool helps keep it temperature-neutral for those who sleep hot. There’s an option to add a removable Tencel™ cover for more cooling and easier cleaning.
This mattress is 12 inches tall.
- The comfort layer features 4 inches of Talalay latex that feels airy and breathable. Latex is naturally cooling and allows plenty of airflow to prevent the mattress from overheating.
- The support layer has 7 inches of Eco-Latex foam, which is a combination of Dunlop latex and foam. This layer feels firmer and denser than the comfort layer, offering more support and structure for the entire bed.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
We rank mattresses using our firmness scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being the softest and 10 being the firmest. This lands Nature’s Novel at a medium-firm to firm feel as we feel it’s a solid 8 on our scale. As such, the mattress should work well for back and stomach sleepers, although heavier people may prefer an even firmer mattress.
The firm, buoyant support provided by latex gives you minimal sinkage. Lying on the bed feels like floating on top of the mattress as it provides gentle contouring. This promotes a neutral spine alignment and gives pressure relief for sleepers over 150 pounds.
We noticed a good amount of bounce and a quick response from latex, which should help with easy repositioning. Most back sleepers should enjoy a firmer feel of this bed that offers strong lumbar support.
Stomach sleepers should also like the firm support that prevents their hips from sinking into the upper layer. However, those well over 230 pounds may want an even firmer bed.
On the other hand, side sleepers may find this bed too firm, especially if they’re under 130 pounds. We think this bed may not offer enough sinkage to relieve pressure in the hips and shoulders. For this reason, we’d suggest a softer bed that gives more pressure relief.
The company recommends a weight limit of 300 pounds per person or 600 for the entire bed.
Latex is a bouncy material that falls in the middle when it comes to motion isolation compared to innerspring beds. Although latex beds aren’t as good at isolating motion as memory foam beds, Nature’s Novel performs as expected for a latex product. Those exceptionally concerned with motion transfer may want a denser, memory foam-based bed, but the foam blended into the denser Dunlop latex layer should help minimize most movement-based sleep disruptions.
When we tested Nature’s Novel for edge support, we noticed slight compression when lying and sitting on the edge of the bed, which is rather normal for latex and foam-based products. This mattress is on the firmer side, which is why it offers enhanced edge support compared to softer latex models. Good edge support makes the mattress feel larger as it allows sleepers to use the entire surface of the bed.
- Trial Period – This product comes with a 100-day trial period.
- Warranty – Sweet Zzz offers a lifetime warranty.
- Shipping – Shipping is free within the contiguous United States. The company doesn’t ship to Alaska or Hawaii, and there’s a fee for shipping to Canada.
- Optional white glove delivery service
- Oeko-Tex Certified – The latex in this mattress is certified to be free of harmful materials such as mercury or lead. This certification classifies this product as safe for children under three years old.
- Charitable Donations – Sweet Zzz works hard to give back to the community. The company is a member of 1% For The Planet, donating 1 percent of all sales to environmental causes. They also partner with the LA Food Bank and the Breast Cancer Research Foundation and will attempt to donate suitable returned products.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Made in the USA
|Price (w/o discount)
|38” x 75” x 12”
|38” x 80” x 12”
|53” x 75” x 12”
|60” x 80” x 12”
|76” x 80” x 12”
|72” x 84” x 12”
|36″ x 84″ x 12”
Sleep ZZZ is dedicated to making the environment and your bedroom cleaner and healthier. This commitment shows through the company’s work with several charities and their use of certified latex products.
This bed combines two layers of springy and dense latex to minimize sinkage and allow easy repositioning. We also noticed good motion isolation and edge support, which comes in handy for couples and co-sleepers.
We see a lot of value in this product that puts the health and well-being of its customers and community first.
Olivera is a content writer for Sleep Advisor and is enthusiastic about sleep. She firmly believes in the benefits of daytime naps on top of getting a full 8-hour sleep at night.