Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Are smart mattresses the way of the future? Can controlling and monitoring your sleep patterns help you find the perfect night's rest?
Well-known Sleep Number released their proprietary performance SleepIQ® technology back in 2014. It is designed to read hundreds of measurements per second so customers can check on up-to-date biometrics readings and sleep patterns. Their 360 p6 model was designed to permit sleepers to customize firmness, allowing the bed to adjust as they change positions during the night.
Our in-depth analysis of Sleep Number 360® p6 Smart bed looks not only at smart technology but analyzes sleep preferences that most people look for in a mattress selection, namely, comfort and support.
To gather the full scoop, just keep reading, but if you are crunched for time, feel free to jump down to our scoring and summary.
You will love Sleep Number 360® p6 Smart Bed if you:
- Want a smart bed – This product interacts with a handful of different apps and smart devices. It also tracks biometrics such as heart and respiratory rates that can be viewed on your smart device through the SleepIQ app. This smart bed will also adjust with sleepers as they change positions during the night.
- Share your sleeping space – With an air chamber under each side of the mattress, sleepers can have their firmness adjusted to fit their specific needs and body type. As an added bonus, sleepers get excellent motion isolation and edge support properties that make sharing this sleeping space even more convenient and comfortable.
- Cooling – Gel infused foams should help regulate body heat and keep your mattress cool. The mattress links with the Nest Thermostat to help you identify your optimal bedroom temperature.
You might not like Sleep Number 360® p6 Smart Bed if you:
- Want a traditional mattress – Smart bed companies are adding new innovations to make people's sleep more comfortable and their lives more convenient, but some people enjoy the simplicity of a traditional mattress. Those who aren’t as tech-savvy may prefer to stick to the basics. If you're interested you can see our top rated mattress picks.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
White Glove Delivery service is included when purchasing this product. A team delivers and installs the 360 p6 to your home and removes your old mattress. The mattress comes in several boxes that can be stored and set up by the customer at a later date if they are not immediately ready for installation.
The cover is of European style and is constructed with a blend of polyester, polypropylene, and elastane fibers. This plush, textured material covers 11 inches of bedding beneath, with 5 inches of a zoned foam comfort layer on top of a 6-inch air chamber.
- The first layer is 2 inches of responsive Coolgenex ™ foam. This has been infused with gel to help with cooling. This layer fosters pressure relief and surface comfort.
- The second layer is 3 inches of Ergonomex™. This supportive foam helps to keep the body aligned and separates the foams from the air chamber beneath.
- The base layer is the 6-inch air chamber. These air bladders are designed to adjust with you as you reposition throughout the night, helping you find targeted comfort and support. This WiFi-enabled pump connects to your smartphone or tablet through a series of biometric sensors that track sleep and health patterns.
- Edge support foams line the perimeter of the mattress to foster strong sides and minimize edge compression.
Smart Technology (Features & Connected Apps)
Embedded sensors in the air chamber allow this product to detect the weight of your body as you rest, and it automatically adjusts the firmness dependent on your liking and sleeping position. The SleepIQ® app enables sleepers to manually adjust the firmness and tracks biometrics like breath rate, motion, and heart rate.
The SleepIQ® app is available on all Android and Apple devices. Each air chamber is adjustable through the app or with the remote included with your purchase. This product is also compatible with different health apps and fitness devices: Apple® Health, Fitbit®, MapMyRun™, Microsoft® Health, Withings Health Mate™, and Nest Learning Thermostat™.
Further updates to SleepIQ® technology may permit product compatibility with other third-party devices, organizations, and apps. Future in-house biometric measurements and capabilities may also become available.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
We rate mattress firmness on a scale of 1 to 10, with a 10 being like a rock. But the Sleep Number 360 p6 is not a typical mattress. Depending on your firmness preference this brand can rank anywhere between a 4 and 9.5 on our firmness scale, for most people though, the firmness adjustment setting should leave them lying on a surface rated at 5.5.
This firmness should feel great for most folks as the air chambers continually perform firmness adjustments while you rest. The top foams feel fairly cool and responsive, gently contouring to your shape. Depending on your firmness preference this mattress can foster a feeling anywhere at or between a deep hug to a minimal cradle.
This mattress has a slight bounce provided by the air chamber within, while the top foams respond fairly quickly. These components should work great for combination sleepers who switch up their sleeping positions during the night.
Back sleepers should feel like they are getting great support from this bed. It automatically adjusts, allowing the foams to contour to the gap between the shoulders and hips. The air chamber beneath provides essential support and facilitates spinal alignment.
High-pressure areas like the shoulders and hips can often trouble side sleepers. This bed helps wash pressure away from these areas by allowing sleepers to adjust their firmness setting, making the bed softer in those high-pressure areas.
Stomach Sleepers can adjust their firmness settings so their hips are equally elevated with their shoulders. This function should allow them to sleep comfortably and promote better spinal alignment.
Sleepers can adjust the firmness of their side of the mattress, tailoring their mattress exactly to their needs and allowing their partner to do the same for themselves. This adjustability should allow sleepers to enhance their comfort and support preferences. This product supports a weight limit up to 800 pounds or 400 pounds per side.
When one partner gets up to go to the bathroom, the other likely does not want to wake up to them getting in or out of the bed. This is where motion isolation comes in handy.
This product’s top foams help to prevent motion from transferring across the surface of the mattress by containing movement to the side of the bed where it originated. If you share a bed, you should sleep securely knowing that your active sleeping partner should not bother you when he or she gets up at 2 AM to take the dog out.
A mattress with a strong perimeter maximizes your sleeping surface by allowing sleepers to rest on the side of the bed without feeling like they might tumble off. This can be important for folks who share a sleeping space, as one partner may inadvertently get pushed to the side.
This product has reinforced foam support edges that should allow most folks to sleep along the sides of the bed. While sitting along the perimeter there may be some slight compression. Overall, this bed maximizes its space and should keep sleepers well supported, even if they are sleeping on the edge.
- Adjustable Firmness
- Trial Period – Customers can try this product for 100 nights and if they are not satisfied they can return their purchase for a full refund.
- Warranty – This product offers a 25-year warranty.
- Shipping – This product ships anywhere in the United States, except for some locations in Alaska and Hawaii. White Glove Delivery (home installation) is included in every shipping fee.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 11”||$2,199|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 11”||$2,699|
|King||76” x 80” x 11”||$3,299|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 11”||$3,299|
Sleep Number 360® p6 is a great option for people looking for extreme pressure relief coupled with smart technology!
Night time dreams of Science Fiction have become Science facts as product lines like Sleep Number continue to roll out. The control and flexibility that this product offers give us reason to believe that Sleep Number is operating ahead of its time. If you are looking for a performance smart bed focused on health and overall comfort, this might just be your future bed.