How important do you think your sheet is in keeping you comfortable at night? If you are like most people, you haven't really given it a lot of thought. This is a real shame, because your bedding has a significant influence on your quality of sleep. It starts by providing a cooling layer between you and your mattress – if you have the right sheet, that is.
When we are looking at bedding, it's essential to get the right balance between comfort and coolness. According to the manufacturers of Purple Sheets, they have managed to do this. Is this true? In this article, we review the Purple bed sheets to see if they are right for you.
Purple Sheets – Key Features
- You get a fitted and a flat sheet along with either one or two pillowcases, depending on the size of the bed.
- 90% bamboo-based Viscose for it’s cooling ability and softness.
- 10% Spandex to give it maximum stretch for comfort.
- Comes in White, sand or Slate.
- 1-year limited warranty.
- Available in a range of sizes from Twin through to Cal King.
Pros and Considerations
- Very soft to the touch.
- Stretchy as well.
- Not as silky as 100% bamboo Viscose textiles.
- No seams.
- Very strong elastic on the fitted sheet.
- Limited warranty on workmanship.
- Lots of sizes to choose from.
- Not much color choice.
- No trial period.
- Not 100% natural because of the Spandex.
Purple Sheets are unique in the market because they include 10% Spandex along with 90 %Viscose created out of bamboo. This gives the sheeting a lot more stretch than normal without sacrificing breathability. The pillowcases are made of the same fabric, and this helps to keep the pillows in place. Your pillows will feel more loved than ever before because the fabric hugs them tightly.
The design is simple, but another thing that sets this apart is that there are no visible seams. This means less stitching that can be strained and torn.
The elastic sewn into the bottom of the fitted option is strong and will keep your bedding in place all night long, no matter how much you toss and turn.
The material is a good quality and the stitching, where it is present, does match this as well. The weave is loose enough to make it breathable and allow flexibility but not so loose that it is easily snagged. Another area that this product distances itself through is in the depth of the mattress it can accommodate.
Because the material has so much stretch in it, mattresses of up to 16 inches in depth can be accommodated.
The company prides itself on quality construction and workmanship, and this is borne out by the stitching and the overall look and feel of the sheeting.
One thing that is always of concern when buying new linen is how well it is going to wash. Natural fibers have a tendency to shrink when washed. With bamboo fibers, there is a little more of a risk than with cotton, but still, it is a small risk.
Because the Purple sheets are so stretchy, a little bit of shrinkage won't make a whole lot of difference to the fit or finish. If you follow the care instructions correctly, you shouldn't have a problem at all.
Bamboo-based Viscose is a very durable fabric that will stand up well to regular usage. These sheets should last a while.
A huge pro when you are considering bamboo textiles and sheets is that the material is a lot lighter than cotton or linen. The looser weave of this, in addition to the added Spandex, makes this a very light bedding choice. It moves easily with your body and won't cling or leave you feeling trapped in your bed.
The lightweight material makes it ideal for use in summer or in hot and humid areas. You can protect yourself from the heat without feeling too weighed down. In this respect, this is a lot like silk – it doesn’t feel even slightly heavy.
Learn more: Our Cotton and Bamboo sheets comparison
Feel and Comfort
When it comes to comfort, people give these sheets rave reviews. They love how soft they are. They feel that they are slightly silky without being as slippery as satin. While some people might like that satin feeling, not everyone wants to get into bed feeling like they’ll slip all the way to the other side. The Spandex tones down the amount of, for want of a better word, “slippage.”
The Purple sheets breathe well and feel light on your body. They are really cooling because the bamboo is highly absorbent. The Spandex is the same type used in sportswear, and this increases the sheet's ability to wick away moisture.
The price is higher than for your standard sheet, but this is to be expected when you consider that the materials used are Spandex and bamboo fibers. Throw in the fact that there are no seams and it's quick to see that manufacturing costs here would be higher.
The benefits in terms of improved sleep quality do make these sheets a worthwhile buy, though. Another huge plus is that the Spandex content means that they do not wrinkle as badly as typical bamboo sheets do.
They are constructed well and, if properly looked after, should last for a good few years. They do offer good value for your money.
Who Should Buy The Purple Sheets?
- You are a hot sleeper – the Spandex and bamboo-based Viscose in these products, combined with the looser weave, make these a highly breathable option. Bamboo is typically around 3% cooler than cotton, so this is a better option if you are a hot sleeper.
- Suffer from night sweats – If you sweat a lot during the night, you need something that will not only keep you cooler, but that will also absorb the extra moisture. This is where the viscose used here really excels – it is a lot more absorbent than cotton.
- You like sheets that are lightweight – Your standard linen sheets are lovely except for one thing – they tend to be somewhat heavy. This can lead to difficulty when you are trying to move at night. The Purple Sheets are elastic enough to stretch as you do and won't cling to your body uncomfortably.
- Like soft sheets – these are really soft and comfortable to sleep on.
Who Shouldn’t Buy The Purple Sheets?
- People who want entirely natural sheets. There is only 10% Spandex content, but if you want to go the all-natural route, this could be off-putting.
- Someone who doesn't have the time to wash and dry sheets properly. You should only rinse them with cold water and should not use any heat when drying them at all. The company recommends hanging them out to dry, and this could be problematic if you live in an apartment building or small home without a washing line.
- People who want more options when it comes to colors. The colors used are quite neutral – grey, beige and white. It is not the most exciting palette of colors.
- People who like a more traditional feel when it comes to sheeting. These do feel quite unlike anything you would have tried before. It may sound crazy, but there is a distinct difference when it comes to sinking down into a mattress with one of these on board. Not everyone will like the feeling.
Overall, this is the kind of product we have come to expect from Purple – highly innovative, completely unique, and just a little bit quirky. There is no other bedding that is quite the same on the market so you can be sure that you are getting something that is completely original.
The product is well-constructed, well-conceived and offers superior comfort and breathability. It really is not that expensive when you think about all the benefits you get from it, and it is more reasonably priced than some of its closest competitors.
Are these the right option for you? Why not try it and find out for yourself?