Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Can a bedding fabric really increase my body’s recovery while I sleep?
Brooklyn Bedding is at the front of mattress technology. This brand sells over a dozen different mattresses online, and each one was innovated and specialized with special features and technologies for varying types of sleepers.
The Propel is a performance-enhancing bed, with the focus of improving recovery. This bed uses Upcycle™ tech in the cover, an innovation designed to recycle energy, giving it back to the sleeper as they rest.
Our in-depth Brooklyn Bedding Propel Mattress review takes a look at the brands Upcycle™ tech as well as other innovations in order to help sleepers determine how much they affect the overall quality of rest and recovery this bed can offer.
Read on to catch each and every detail or feel free to skip ahead for our score and a brief summary.
You will love the Propel if you:
- Live active lives – This brand uses a trifecta of performance-enhancing techs integrated to create an elite recovery mattress.
- Sleep hot – As part of that trifecta, this product has TitanCool™ tech in the cover that helps it to stay a few degrees colder than the room around it. The coils on the inside help promote breathability by allowing the materials to circulate air. This design should help to keep the sleeper cooler at night.
- Enjoy bounce – With 6 inches of pocket coils near the base and responsive proprietary materials up top, this bed has enough bounce to keep a baby bunny happy.
You might not like the Propel if you:
- Want firmness options – This product only has one firmness option that is relative to a medium feel. The good news is that this firmness tends to fit a wide variety of body types and sleeping positions.
Also you can see our other top rated mattresses here.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
This product is roll packed and shipped in a box. It arrives at the customer’s homes within a few days and can be easily installed on a platform or box spring foundation, this includes adjustable bases.
The mattress is covered with a European performance material that uses Upcycle™ integration. This is a proprietary surface treatment that uses what the company calls encapsulated minerals to capture body heat and convert it into infrared energy and transports it back into the body. This is said to provide more oxygen in the blood, helping to restore muscles after a long day of use.
The cover also utilizes TitanCool™ weave, which is phase change technology designed to disperse body heat and if you cool down, it was made to releases the heat back to you, helping you stay the nice and cozy all night long.
Beneath this fine cover are five layers of foams and coils that stand at about 12.5 inches tall.
- The first layer is 1.5 inches of CopperFlex™ foam, a highly responsive pressure relieving material that has been combined with copper, which not only conducts heat but also helps to keep a cleaner sleeping space by eliminating microbial organisms and filth.
- The second layer is 2 inches of hyper-elastic Energex™ foam, a material that responds like latex, but was built to be more durable.
- The third layer is a 1-inch swirl gel memory foam. This temper material has been infused with gels to help disperse heat away from the body while still offering more body contouring and pressure relief.
- The fourth layer is 6” of Acension™ coils. These springs offer superior bounce and airflow while supporting a more tailored spine alignment.
- The final layer is 1-inch, high-density foam that cushions the coils and serves as a protection for the base of the bed.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
At the Sleep Advisor, firmness is rated on a 10 point scale, with a 10 being as hard as concrete. This product rates at a 5 on that scale, putting it right in the middle. This should be a medium firmness that offers a versatile feel to many different kinds of sleepers.
Sleepers who experience this mattress should notice first thing how cool the cover feels against their skin. It is designed to be this way and makes for a soft and soothing place to fall asleep. People giving this bed a try will likely notice that they sink through the first few layers and find themselves wrapped in a gentle cradle.
Propels materials prevent sleepers from sinking too deep and sleepers should find great support as they hit the coil layer. This supportive, yet springy base provides a good bit of bounce and should help facilitate movements for combination sleepers.
Back sleepers should be able to enjoy how top conforms to the curve in their back and the coils support both their hips and shoulders. These materials work together to optimize spinal alignment.
Side sleepers are often fans of a softer top and this mattress should provide an ideal amount of pressure relief for their needs. Tho foams on top are soft and the memory foam in the third layer can help to distribute their weight evenly before it hits the firmer coil support system.
Stomach sleepers often enjoy a firmer mattress but this bed should offer good support for the majority of these folks. While the top of this bed may feel a bit softer, the sturdy coils beneath help stomach sleepers find the support they desire as it helps to keep the hips elevated and lined up with their spine and shoulders.
Overall, this mattress was built to work for most types of people, no matter their sleeping positions. There are individuals however, who prefer something that is extremely plush or exceptionally firm, for these folks they might consider a different option. The brand indicates that there is a weight limit of about 900 lbs for the King and Queen sizes, so about 450 lbs per side.
This can be a big deal if you have more than one person or a fluffy friend sleeping in your bed. When the motion is isolated this helps to keep everyone asleep when someone shuffles on the top of the mattress.
While the Propel has a lot of bounce, it handles motion quite nicely. The combination of pocket coils, which are designed to trap motion, coupled with the foam on top, help to make this a sleeping surface that keeps everyone (even light sleepers) asleep.
Mattresses that ship in a box can sometimes lack in this category because they use materials that need to compress. Where many beds may lack, the Propel should exceed expectations.
Along the edges of the Propel, Brooklyn Bedding has used a higher gauge of coils to enhance the perimeter support. This design should help ensure that sleepers do not tumble on the floor when they get too close to the edge.
- Trial Period – Customers can take advantage of a 120-Night Trial and if this product does not fulfill their needs they can send it back on the company’s dime.
- Warranty – This product is covered by a 10-year warranty.
- Shipping – This company ships for free in the contiguous United States. There is an additional shipping fee in Alaska, Hawaii, and Canada.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – The manufacturer avoided using ozone depleters and dangerous amounts of hazardous materials, such as lead, formaldehyde, and mercury when making this product.
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 12.5”||$499|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 12.5”||$749|
|Full||53” x 75” x 12.5”||$799|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12.5”||$999|
|King||76” x 80” x 12.5”||$1,249|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 12.5”||$1,249|
The Propel by Brooklyn Bedding is a top performance enhancing mattress thanks to industry innovations that offer customers a restorative and comfortable night’s rest.
The Brooklyn Propel is a can be a good choice for people living an active lifestyle or for those folks who just want the simplicity of a comfortable sleep. This brand offers innovation and support at a price that can be hard to turn away from.
If you are sitting on the fence, there is no harm trying this mattress out, as the brands trial allows customers to try this out in their home. If you think this is close, but not quite your fit, don’t hesitate to look into some of Brooklyn Beddings other quality products.
- Our In-Depth Rubix Bed Review (by Brooklyn Bedding) for 2020
- Our In-Depth Titan Bed Review (by Brooklyn Bedding) for 2020
- Our In-Depth Freya Bed Review (by Brooklyn Bedding) for 2020
- Our In-Depth Zoned Bed Review (by Brooklyn Bedding) for 2020
- Our In-Depth Spartan Bed Review (by Brooklyn Bedding) for 2020
- Our In-Depth Brooklyn Bowery Bed Review for 2020
- Our In-Depth Bowery Hybrid Bed Review (by Brooklyn Bedding) for 2020
- Our In-Depth Plank Bed Review (Brooklyn Bedding) for 2020
- Our In-Depth Bloom Hybrid Bed Review (by Brooklyn Bedding) for 2020
- Brooklyn Bedding (Signature) Review For 2020
- Our Aurora Mattress Review (by Brooklyn Bedding) for 2020
- Our In-Depth Bloom Bed Review (by Brooklyn Bedding) for 2020