Brooklyn Bedding is at the front of mattress technology. This brand sells over a dozen different mattresses online, and each one was innovated and specialized with unique features and technologies for varying types of sleepers.
The Propel is a performance-enhancing bed with the focus of improving recovery. This bed uses Upcycle™ tech in the cover, an innovation designed to recycle energy, giving it back to the sleeper as they rest.
Our in-depth Brooklyn Bedding Propel Mattress review takes a look at the brands Upcycle™ technology as well as other innovative additions to this mattress. Read on to catch all the details or feel free to skip ahead for our score and a brief summary.
Excellent Matches For The Propel
- Active Folks – This brand used a trifecta of performance-enhancing technologies and integrated them into the mattress to create an elite recovery mattress for people who push their bodies to their maximum potential.
- Hot Sleepers – As part of that trifecta, this product has TitanCool™ tech in the cover that helps it to stay a few degrees colder than the room around it. The coils on the inside help promote breathability by allowing the materials to circulate air. This design should help to keep the sleeper cooler at night.
- Combination Sleepers – With six inches of pocketed coils near the base and responsive proprietary materials up top, this bed has enough bounce to keep a baby bunny happy.
Possible Considerations with The Propel
- Want firmness options – This product has one firmness option that is relative to a medium feel. The good news is that this firmness tends to fit a wide variety of body types and sleeping positions, but if you prefer more customizable options, the Propel may not be your perfect match.
- Arrives in a Box – Mattresses that arrive in a box offer enormous convenience; however, there is an off-gassing period before the packaged scent dissipates. Brooklyn Bedding states that you can lay on your mattress anywhere from three to five hours after unboxing but that the smell will typically take 24 hours to disappear. Either way, not a poor con compared to many other beds.
Construction: What’s inside The Propel?
The mattress is covered with a European performance material that uses Upcycle™ integration. This is a proprietary surface treatment that uses encapsulated minerals to capture body heat, convert it into infrared energy, and transport it back into the body. This is said to provide more oxygen in the blood, helping to restore muscles after a long day of use.
The cover also utilizes TitanCool™ weave, which is phase change technology designed to disperse body heat. Beneath the surface are five layers of foams and coils that stand at about 12.5 inches tall.
- The first layer is 1.5 inches of CopperFlex™ foam, a highly responsive pressure-relieving material combined with copper, which conducts heat and helps to keep a cleaner sleeping space by eliminating microbial organisms and filth.
- The second layer is 2 inches of hyper-elastic Energex™ foam, a material that responds like latex, but was built to be more durable.
- The third layer is a 1-inch swirl gel memory foam. This temper material has been infused with gels to help disperse heat away from the body while still offering more body contouring and pressure relief.
- The fourth layer is 6” of Ascension™ coils. These springs offer superior bounce and airflow while supporting a more tailored spine alignment.
- The final layer is 1-inch, high-density foam that cushions the coils and serves as a protection for the bed base.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
Sleepers should notice how cool the cover feels, which makes for a soothing surface to fall asleep on. Individuals will likely notice that they sink through the first few layers and find themselves wrapped in a gentle cradle.
The Propel’s materials prevent sleepers from sinking too deep, and sleepers should find great support as they hit the coil layer. This supportive yet springy base provides a good bit of bounce and should help facilitate movements for combination sleepers.
Firmness Scale: 4/10 (Plush Soft) 6.5/10 (Luxury Firm) 8(Firm)
When lying on the floor, you can quickly discover where your pressure points will be. Anywhere excess weight is pooled can create pressure, especially when you’re sleeping on your side and all of your weight is settled on a more narrow surface area.
The Propel’s approach to pressure relief lies primarily in the layers of highly responsive and plush foams, which should contour to your shape for a gentle cradle. The plush Energex™ foam should relieve pressure on the shoulders, while the extra layer of CopperFlex™ on top is designed to delicately support your hips and upper region.
Further, The Propel’s Ascension™ six-inch coils offer superior lift and airflow. The springs should compress where your curves extend, allowing for soothing pressure relief and comfort. Below the coils, the high-density foam helps to cushion the coils for more delicate cradling.
The Propel excels in the support department with six inches of Ascension™ coils to lift the hips and alleviate tension and back pain that many stomach and back sleepers experience. When you’re sleeping on a softer mattress, it’s imperative the bed includes appropriate support and lift so sleepers’ hips and middle region don't dip too low, as this could exacerbate back pain.
The Propel’s coils and swirl gel memory foam are designed to work together to provide sufficient rise for all types of sleepers and aims to let you wake up feeling refreshed and pain-free.
Restorative Upcycle™ Technology
By using an elite European performance fabric and Upcycle™ technology, the bed utilizes encapsulated materials to transform your body heat into refreshing and restorative energy.
Bed in a Box
This bed arrives conveniently in a box; there is minimal waiting needed to air out The Propel— only 24 hours— and you can throw sheets on it and go to sleep just 5 hours after unrolling the mattress.
The Propel employs CopperGel™ and TitanCool™ technology to create a healthier sleep surface and cooler, more comfortable, restful nights. These phase-change molecular surface infusions conduct heat away from sleepers to maintain an optimal temperature through the night.
Exceptional Edge Support
Mattresses that ship in a box can sometimes lack in this category because they use materials that need to be compressed. Where many beds may lack, the Propel should exceed expectations. Along the edges of the Propel, Brooklyn Bedding has used a higher gauge of coils to enhance the perimeter support and designed to ensure sleepers feel safe even near the edge.
People who change positions a lot or struggle with mobility typically prefer beds with a bit of “push back” or bounce that assists movement. Sexually active couples also benefit from this feature, and The Propel should accommodate combo sleepers well.
Motion transfer can be a big deal if you have more than one person or a fluffy friend sleeping in your bed. When the motion is isolated this helps to keep everyone asleep when someone shuffles on the top of the mattress. While the Propel has a lot of bounce, it handles motion quite nicely. The combination of pocket coils, which are designed to trap motion, coupled with the foam on top, help to make this a sleeping surface that keeps everyone (even light sleepers) asleep.
Handcrafted in the USA
This product was certified by CertiPUR-US, a not-for-profit organization that ensures products are created without ozone depleters, dangerous hazardous materials, lead, formaldehyde, mercury, and other heavy metals.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping - Shipping is free within the contiguous United States.
- Trial - You can keep this product for 120 nights to make sure it’s your perfect mattress, and if it isn’t, you can send it back on the company’s dime.
- Warranty - There is a generous warranty on this brand for ten years.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 12.5”||$499|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 12.5”||$749|
|Full||53” x 75” x 12.5”||$799|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12.5”||$999|
|King||76” x 80” x 12.5”||$1,249|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 12.5”||$1,249|
|Split Cali King||72” x 84” x 12.5”||$749|
The Propel by Brooklyn Bedding is a top performance enhancing mattress thanks to industry innovations that offer customers a restorative and comfortable night’s rest.
Side sleepers are often fans of a softer top, and this mattress should provide an ideal amount of pressure relief for their needs. The foams on top are soft, and the third layer’s memory foam can help distribute weight evenly before reaching the firmer coil support system.
Back sleepers should be able to enjoy how the top conforms to the curve in their back, and the coils support both their hips and shoulders. These materials work together to optimize spinal alignment, alleviating tension in the spine and allowing you to wake up refreshed.
Stomach sleepers often enjoy a firmer mattress, but this bed should offer good support for the majority of these folks. While the top of this bed may feel a bit softer, the sturdy coils beneath help stomach sleepers find the support they desire as it helps to keep the hips elevated and lined up with their spine and shoulders.
Propels materials prevent sleepers from sinking too deep, and sleepers should find great support as they hit the coil layer. This supportive yet springy base provides a good bit of bounce and should help facilitate movements for combination sleepers, letting you move easily without feeling “stuck.”
Couples looking for versatility should enjoy The Propel. Motion transfer and edge support often factor greatly for partners as both typically want to maximize space, which is when edge support comes in handy and not be disturbed when their partner readjusts. Both of these characteristics The Propel provides with ease, letting couples snooze soundly.
Significantly heavier folks can sometimes struggle to find a mattress that can accommodate their weight without feeling like they’re sleeping on pressure-inducing concrete. This softer mattress may not be a great fit for heavier folks, as it may bottom out depending on the weight pressure.
Lighter than average sleepers may feel that many mattresses are too firm for their smaller frames because they’re too light to activate multiple layers. However, this plush mattress should accommodate lightweight sleepers nicely, allowing them to feel gently cradled and soothed night after night.
Overall, this mattress was built to work for most types of people, no matter their sleeping positions. However, individuals who prefer beds that are extremely plush or exceptionally firm, might consider a different option. The brand indicates a weight limit of about 900 lbs for the King and Queen sizes, so about 450 lbs per side.