Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Can a good night's rest enhance my overall performance? Can a specialized mattress influence your stages of sleep to help you wake up reenergized?
Molecule Mattress was designed by scientists and athletes so people who live an active lifestyle can maximize their deepest stage of sleep by resting longer in it. According to their research, this stage of sleep, also known as slow wave sleep, is where the body experiences the most recovery and restoration. Their claim is this mattress keeps you sleeping longer during this phase.
Our in-depth review of Molecule Mattress examines some of the company’s claims by taking a detailed look into the construction and feel of their bed. We scored it using our system that looks at features such as comfort, quality, and support.
Keep reading for more information, or if you are in a hurry, jump down to the end for our scoring and summary of this product.
You will love this mattress if you:
- Live and active lifestyle – This product has been designed to help restore the body while it rests by helping you stay cool using enhanced temperature regulatory foams in this bed. This should help you wake up in the morning feeling revitalized, according to the company.
- Sleep hot – Even if you are not an athlete, this is a great option for those that find themselves waking up in a pool of sweat. The open-cell foams in each layer of this mattress help to circulate air so you can stay cool at night.
- Want motion isolation – Foam beds are great for keeping movement at bay. Folks who share their sleeping surface should not have to worry about waking up to their partner getting in and out of bed.
You might not like this mattress if you:
- Want a traditional innerspring feel – Coils can provide exceptional bounce and airflow throughout a bed. Although the Molecule may not have the same bounce as an innerspring mattress, it has a responsive center and base layers that make moving around a breeze. This all foam bed includes cooling technology that should put it neck and neck in temperature performance with most innerspring options.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
The Molecule is compressed and shipped in a box and delivered to your door. Instructions are included to help walk you through the installation process. This product is compatible with just about any foundation, including adjustable bases, but the manufacturer recommends that when using a slatted platform, that the slats be no more than 3 inches apart.
The zip-off cover is made from a soft thin polyester blend. It feels breathable and should help with air circulation to keep you from getting hot. Inside the mattress is 12.25 inches of three distinct layers of polyurethane foam that have been specially designed for optimal performance.
- The first layer is 3 inches of the company's proprietary MolecularFlo™ Foam that has been designed to promote consistent cooling. The open-cell structure in this material stimulates airflow that allows the body to cool down while resting. This slow conforming comfort layer relieves pressure by taking the weight and strain off the body’s joints and curves.
- The second layer is 2 inches of RecoverFlo™ Foam. This layer is a matrix of hexagon and diamond shaped channels that provide lumbar support by adapting to your bodies anatomy and increasing body to surface ratio by filling in the gaps between the shoulders and hips. This layer is also fairly responsive and should facilitate repositioning in the bed.
- The bottom layer is constructed from 7 inches of firm CounterFlo™ Foam. This base should influence proper spine alignment and act as the support center for your body's weight.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
We rated the Molecule at a 5 out of 10 on our firmness scale which scores mattresses between 1 and 10, with a 10 being the firmest. This places Molecule in the medium firmness range, which should fit the needs of a wide variety of body types and preferences.
The top layer is a slow responding foam that should leave you feeling like you are resting in a gentle cradle. It is soft to the touch and should be similar to the experience of traditional memory foam beds.
The bottom two layers are constructed from firmer foams that foster easier movements by providing a mid-level bounce. This should be great for combination sleepers who change positions frequently during the night. These layers offer deeper level support by cradling the weight that pushes through the top comfort foam.
Back sleepers should feel that the top layer contouring to their shoulders and lumbar areas, while the base layers support and provide spinal alignment for these same regions. See more mattress picks for back sleepers.
Side sleepers look for excellent pressure relief because of the increased pressure over a small surface area caused by the hips and shoulders. These individuals that sleep on their side should find that this bed is a favorable choice because of its exceptional ability to relieve strain in these stress areas.
Stomach sleepers often look for a firmer option because of the tendency their hips have to sink too deep into a soft mattress. With that in mind, the average weight stomach sleeper should feel that their hips are well supported and aligned with this mattress, though heavier individuals might find they prefer a firmer option. See more options for belly sleepers.
Often heavier individuals, no matter what sleeping position, find that they prefer a firmer mattress for enhanced support, but the manufacturer does not have an assigned weight limit for this bed and indicates that almost all people should find that this bed fits their comfort and support needs. There is a trial period if heavier people want to try it out without risk to make sure it is adequately supportive and comfortable.
Or, view more beds for heavier individuals for more research and options during your search.
Motion isolation can be important for folks who share a bed and do not want to feel their partner or kids getting in and out during the night. The Molecule performs exceptionally well in this category. Typical nighttime movement by your partner should go relatively unnoticed, so unless your kids are having a dance party on the other side of the bed, or you are an exceptionally light sleeper, you should feel next to nothing.
Edge support is great for those wanting to maximize their sleeping surface. Bed-in-a-box brands sometimes struggle in this category because they have to compress their mattresses so they can ship them in a box.
Nudging up to the edge of this bed should keep you feeling fairly secure. While sitting on the edge there is some noticeable compression through the top layers, but overall this bed performs to about the industry standard.
- Trial Period – The 100 Night Sleep Trial allows customers to return the product between 30 and 100 nights use for a full refund.
- Warranty – This product has a Lifetime Warranty
- Shipping – Shipping is free within the 48 contiguous United States and available for a fee to both Hawaii and Alaska.
- CertiPUR-US® certified – This third-party organization certifies that these foams were made without ozone depleters, heavy metals, formaldehyde, or any other toxic or harmful substance.
- White Glove Delivery Available – A service providing in-home product installation and mattress removal is available for an additional fee.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||75" x 39" x 12.25"||$1,099|
|Twin XL||80" x 39" x 12.25"||$1,149|
|Full||75" x 54" x 12.25"||$1,399|
|Queen||80" x 60" x 12.25"||$1,499 |
|King||80" x 76" x 12.25"||$1,899|
|Cali King||84" x 72" x 12.25"||$1,949 |
When you wake up after resting on a Molecule Mattress you should feel a renewed sense of energy that has you feeling like you can take on the world.
Molecule claims to promote better health by cooling sleepers so they can rest longer during slow wave sleep. If you are considering this product, we recommend doing some follow up research about slow wave sleep and further discovering how the Molecule could benefit you. This could be a great option for those living an active and healthy lifestyle that want to find a renewed burst of energy when they wake up.