Is it possible to get two beds in one? Can a single mattress adapt with your changing needs?
With the 14” Double-Sided Latex Hybrid you could do just that. IDLE’s hybrid product offers something for everyone with dual-sided firmness and a combined foam and innerspring feel. The company strives to provide a mattress that will last a long time and wear evenly using the ability to flip the bed to prevent too much wear on one side.
Our In-depth review of the IDLE Sleep 14” Double-Sided Latex Hybrid will look at how well each side performs for each type of sleep position. You’ll find scores based on edge support, comfort, cooling, and more. The mattress is double-sided, but we will be focusing on the Medium side for this review.
Read through for the full review or skip to the end for a quick overview of the Latex Hybrid’s qualities.
You will love the IDLE Latex Hybrid if you:
- Are looking for multiple comfort levels – This brand is double-sided, allowing you to choose different feels, Luxury Firm or Medium, for either side. Or you may choose the dual-sided option and enjoy both levels by flipping back and forth based on your changing needs.
- Prefer a deeper cradle – Thanks to the soft layer of foam woven into both sides of the cover, you should find yourself experiencing a deeper cradle when using the Medium level, but the inner coils should prevent difficulty in repositioning. Note that the cradle may be gentler on the Luxury Firm side if you prefer.
- Want temperature control – The latex layer is infused with Pure Gel to help move heat away from the body. IDLE’s proprietary Thermocool fabric is said to provide both cooling and heating as needed thanks to its smart fiber cross-sections.
You might not like the IDLE Latex Hybrid if you:
- Tend to sleep light – Co-sleepers using the Hybrid could experience more motion transfer than they would with traditional memory foam, which could be an issue for exceptionally light sleepers. However, the brandshould offer less motion transfer than traditional innerspring mattresses, so this is not necessarily a dealbreaker.
- Are on a tighter budget – IDLE’s double-sided mattress may be priced higher than some shoppers prefer. The luxury status, firmness options, and lifetime warranty help to make this a worthy, longtime investment.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
This product is a 14” latex hybrid bed-in-on-a-box that offers all the comfort of memory foam with the support of innerspring coils. The pocketed coils and double-sided design should add to the brand’s overall durability. IDLE does offer a proprietary foundation, though the company says the product can be used on any base, including adjustable ones.
The cover on both sides features a breathable cotton with 1” of the company’s proprietary IDLE Quilting Foam sewn into it to promote extra comfort. Handles are affixed to the sides of the cover to aid in flipping the mattress to either side.
Overall, there are 3 layers, excluding the foam quilted into the cover.
- The first layer is comprised of 3 inches of Pure Gel Infused Talalay Latex. Foams are traditionally known for trapping heat, but the gel should help move heat away from the body, providing a cooler sleeping experience.
- The second layer features 6 inches of Quantum Edge-To-Edge pocketed coils that should result in enhanced edge support. Consumers should notice easier movements despite the foam’s deep hug thanks to the inner coils.
- The third layer is the same as the first, 3 inches of Pure Gel Infused Talalay Latex. As the product is double-sided, each layer is the same from top to bottom on either side.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
If you prefer a more firm option, you can choose the Luxury Firm on both sides. If Medium is more your speed, that is also available for both top and bottom. And, of course, you may choose to have a Medium feel on one side and the Luxury Firm on the other, allowing for a customizable sleep experience.
We give the Medium side a 6 on our firmness scale that evaluates mattresses from a soft 1 to an ultra firm 10. The Luxury Firm is slightly firmer at a 7.
You should notice a snappy bounce and quick responsiveness that should allow the latex layers to reform after pressing down on them. The quilted foam in the cover allows for a light cradling effect, but the pocketed coils should prevent you from sinking too deeply or feeling stuck in the foam.
Many exclusive Stomach sleepers will likely prefer the Luxury Firm option, as they may require extra support to keep their spine in a neutral position. For example, Stomach sleepers with significantly heavier weight concerns may find themselves sinking too deeply, creating a slight bowing of the back on the medium side.
Side sleepers often experience pain in the hips and shoulders due to putting their body weight on these areas in the night. They should enjoy the deep cradle of the IDLE Quilting Foam, especially using the Medium option, which should provide extra pressure relief.
Back sleepers can experiment with both levels to find one that suits their comfort preferences. The Medium level will likely be preferred by those who like a soft cradle, while the Luxury Firm option provides extra support for those who like to stay on top of the mattress. The spine should remain straight when using either side.
This item offers a lot of bounce, which should help to keep users from feeling stuck even as they sink into the hybrid foam. A higher level of motion transfer is noticeable as compared to traditional memory foam because there’s a little bounce to latex that may travel, but the bed seems to provide less disruptive movement than many innerspring options. Most co-sleepers should be happy with this performance, though light sleepers may want to opt for something with a little more motion transfer control.
Like most hybrids, this product should offer more edge support than traditional foam beds, which could be desirable for co-sleepers or those who like to sprawl out. The pocketed coils are designed to reach from edge-to-edge to keep the edges of the bed firmer longer. The inner layers are the same from top to bottom, so users shouldn’t notice a significant difference on either side, regardless of the firmness level.
- Multiple Firmness Options – the 14” Double-Sided Latex Hybrid offers a Medium option and a Luxury Firm. Shoppers can choose from one of each level or the same firmness level on both sides.
- Trial Period – The 14” Double-Sided Latex Hybrid comes with a 120-day trial period. IDLE promises to refund the purchase in full and donate returned mattresses.
- Warranty – IDLE provides a limited lifetime warranty.
- Shipping – IDLE ships free anywhere in the US except Hawaii and Alaska.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – TAll of IDLE’s beds are said to contain CertiPUR certifications that guarantee the poly foams are free of harmful chemicals like lead and formaldehyde.
- Made in the USA – IDLE beds are handmade to order in the USA.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 14”||$1,229|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 14”||$1,259|
|Full||54” x 75” x 14”||$1,699 |
|Queen||60” x 80” x 14”||$1,899 |
|King||76” x 80” x 14”||$2,199|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 14”||$2,199 |
The 14” Double-Side Latex Hybrid offers a customizable experience that should satisfy customers of all sleep position preferences.
Nobody sleeps the same, which IDLE clearly kept in mind when they designed this bed. With multiple firmness options and customization choices, customers should be able to adjust their sleep experience to suit their individual needs.
Those who prefer the best of both worlds, cool airflow with a deep hug and easy movement, should be happy with the way this bed performs.
This bed is priced a little higher but the extended warranty and multiple customization options, combined with the mattresses apparent durability, should make this product well worth the price.