What does the future of sleep technology look like?
For several years Eight Sleep has been innovating the bedding industry with their smart products. They are showing customers the true power of sleep technology and the newest addition to their line up has the potential to bring your science fiction bedroom dreams a reality.
The Pod uses smart cover cooling technology, biometric monitoring, and home automation to help their customers find their best night’s rest.
Our in-depth Eight Sleep The Pod mattress overview takes a look at all these truly unique features. We also analyze those aspects that every person needs in a mattress: comfort, support, pressure relief, and value.
Continue with this review to catch all the details, or if you are in a rush just skip on down to the scoring and summary.
You will love this mattress if you:
- Want home automation – This model connects to several devices including the Amazon Echo, Google Home, Philips Hue lights, Google Nest, or your Wemo coffee maker. Customers can also track their sleep fitness through the Eight Sleep App and even receive sleep coaching through their phone.
- Get hot at night – This product uses thermoregulation to warm or cool each side of the bed independently. You can turn on warming or cooling manually and/or you can let the app do it for you while you rest according to your unique sleep patterns. This is done by circulating water through the Active Grid where it is warmed or cooled and is operated and connected by the Hub which sits by the side of the bed.
- Need pressure relief – This product uses a series of foams to evenly distribute the sleepers weight and wash away strain in areas like the hips, shoulders, and lumbar. Shoppers wanting to wake up feeling refreshed without the usual aches and pains might really enjoy The Pod.
You might not like this mattress if you:
- Do not need smart tech – This bed takes a step into the future with a series of automated features as well as improved sleep tracking. Customers looking for a more standard mattress might do better with a different brand.
For more options, you can see our top rated beds of 2021.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
This mattress ships to the customer’s home in a box. White Glove Delivery is also available for those wanting in-home installation and mattress removal. This product works on the majority of base types, though if customers are using a slatted base foundation the slats should be no more than 3 inches apart.
The company covers their product in a polyester and cotton fabric. This is a breathable material and directly beneath this is the Active Grid that utilizes all of the smart features this product offers. Beneath these are the four layers of foams that give the mattress an 11-inch height.
- The first layer is the comfort layer. This is a 2 inch-Luracor Foam that provides some initial pressure relief.
- The second layer is made from a 2 inch Visco Elastic Memory Foam that helps to evenly distribute the sleeper’s weight over the surface.
- The third layer uses a 2-inch Transitional Polyfoam. This layer helps ease the sleeper’s weight into the more supportive base beneath.
- The foundation is a 5-inch High-Density Support Polyfoam that provides stability for the base.
Smart Technology (Features & Connected Apps)
The Active Grid beneath the cover is a piece of automated tech that links into both your home automation system and a compatible smartphone. It can track a long list of biometrics, including respiratory rate, heart rate, deep sleep, and REM sleep.
The cover allows customers to set their desired heat preferences, cooling things off or heating things up as needed. It also hooks up to Google Nest Thermostats for further temperature regulation.
This Active Grid works with Hue lighting, Amazon echo, and more. This product is compatible with most Android devices and Apple iOS devices. For complete details of what it can do, we would recommend contacting the company for a complete list of features and smartphone compatibility.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
We rate firmness on a scale that scores beds between 1 and 10 with a 1 being on the softest side of that scale. This model scores at a 6 on this scale, making this a Medium firmness. This sort of feel on an all foam bed typically fosters a gentle cradle that helps relieve pressure for so many people.
Remember that firmness is relative to your body type and sleeping preferences but most people should enjoy the conforming foams and the pressure relieving properties. This product includes polyfoams that should be responsive, allowing for facilitated transitions between sleeping positions. These might even be slightly springy, but the memory foam should help to dampen some of that bounce.
Foam beds like this one usually work really well for back sleepers. The materials help to fill in the small of their back, keeping their hips and shoulders properly elevated to foster ideal sleeping posture.
The Pod was designed to help alleviate strain in areas like the hips and shoulders for side sleepers. When sleeping on your side, these parts of the body enforce more weight over a smaller surface area, causing pressure to build. With these soft and conforming foams, this should be a non-issue.
Stomach sleepers tend to like a little bit of a firmer surface to help keep their hips elevated, lining them up with their back for even alignment. This mattress should be just firm enough for folks wanting to rest on their stomachs.
Sleepers have different considerations, but we think that that this mattress will work out well for the majority of people. The Brand also sells their Smart Bed for folks wanting something just a bit firmer. This mattress supports a weight limit of up to 500 pounds, so sleepers with heavier weight considerations may want to look into a different model.
Motion transfer can be a huge deal for couples who do not want to feel their partners movements at night. Bed-in-a-box companies have done an excellent job at creating products that minimize motion transfer and this product is no exception.
As you get in and out of bed a combination of memory and polyfoams help to trap motion. The movements that your partner makes should be barely noticeable. This mattress was made to keep sleepers doing what they do best; sleep.
Edge support properties can be important for people who use their entire sleeping surface, allowing customers to lie along the sides without sacrificing too much stability. All foam boxed beds do not always score as high in this category because they use buoyant materials designed to compress.
This all foam product uses a Medium Firm material that gives the surface a bit more durability. This gives the edges enough support to hold the sleeper’s weight up during the night. Customers should even be able to sit on the sides of the mattress and only experience minimal compression.
- Trial Period – This 100-night trial allows customers to try the product in their home and if they are not satisfied they can ship it back for a full refund.
- Warranty – Available with each purchase of this mattress is a 10-year warranty.
- Shipping – This product can be delivered within the contiguous United States.
- Optional White Glove Delivery – A delivery team will install your product and remove the customer’s old mattress for an additional charge.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – A third-party organization determined that the materials used to construct this bed had minimal amounts of potentially harmful substances.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions||Price (without discount)|
|Full||54” x 75” x 15”||$2195|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 15”||$2595|
|King||76” x 80” x 15”||$2895|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 15”||$2895|
The Pod offers a unique cooling experience that combines quality comfort with smart home technology.
This brand gives its customers the chance to sleep into the future of bedding technology. Shoppers who love innovation and appreciate the benefits it can offer would do well checking out The Pod. If this product is slightly above your budget, be sure to look into Eight Sleep’s Smart Bed to know all your options.