Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Have you ever been away on vacation and thought the hotel sheets were to die for? If you are like most people, you probably thought about getting a similar quality to use at home. The only problem is that buying hotel-grade linen can be prohibitively expensive. You are not alone. Rich Fulop, the founder of Brooklinen, got the idea for his company after a stay in Las Vegas.
He decided that everyone should have access to quality bedding at a price that they could afford and so Brooklinen came into being. What makes it different is that it operates mainly online and acts as its own wholesaler. The price savings get passed onto the client, and Brooklinen has been receiving rave reviews.
But do they really deserve them? Are the Brooklinen bed sheets really as good as people say they are? Let’s investigate this a little.
Brooklinen Sheets – Key Features
- You get a flat and a fitted sheet along with two pillowcases.
- The textile is made from high-quality Belgian Flax and is made in Portugal.
- Comes in White or Cream.
- Has been stonewashed so that it feels lived in from day one.
- Oeko-Tex certified.
- Will fit mattresses that have a depth of no more than 12 inches.
- You get king-sized pillowcases with the Cal King and King packs.
- 60-day money back guarantee.
Pros and Cons
- Excellent quality.
- Wicks away water better than cotton.
- Good for hot sleepers.
- Soft to the touch and softens more on washing.
- No harmful chemicals used in the manufacturing process.
- Your color options are limited to White or Cream.
- Linen creases a lot.
- If you return the goods, you are still liable for shipping and handling. If you have used them before you return them, there is a handling fee of $9.95
The Linen Core sheets are the newest addition to the range. They are made with the same attention to detail. They are made from Belgian Flax and woven in Portugal. The textile is stone-washed before it leaves, making the linen softer to the touch straight away.
The pillowcases are made from the same fabric and feature the company’s standard “envelope” design. This means no zippers that get stuck and no pillows making a break for it either.
A percale weave has been used to ensure a blend of usability and breathability. The colors have been kept to a simple white and cream so that you have a very understated style with this product.
The build quality is excellent. The stitching is very neat, and the company is definitely trying to live up to its promise of producing quality products at excellent prices. The stitching will not come undone in a hurry and, with proper care, these sheets will last for a good long while.
The fabric feels taut and sturdy, and this bodes well for longevity. The percale weave makes for a sturdy fabric that won’t start falling apart after a few washes.
The finish is understated and elegant. As the company puts it, it makes style “effortless.”
All natural fibers are subject to some shrinkage, especially with the first few washes. What makes these different is the fact that they have already been stone-washed. That means that shrinkage, if there is any at all, will be kept to a minimum. If you follow the proper care instructions, you should not have a massive problem with shrinkage at all.
Linen is also a very durable fiber and stands up well to wash and wear. A good set of linen sheets, if looked after correctly, will last you a lifetime. Caring for your bedding is not a complicated process, it just means that you need to spot treat spills immediately, use a cold wash when washing and, preferably, hang it out on the line.
You could use a dryer if you needed to, but would have to use the lowest setting possible.
Depending on the type of bedding you are used to, these are bound to feel a little heavier. It is a higher quality textile, and the weave used makes it a bit thicker as well. It's not going to crush you down, but it is bound to feel heavier than a standard cotton or polycotton one would.
What makes this okay is that it breathes very well and does not cling to your body, so you are not going to feel hemmed in or trapped at any stage.
Besides which, if you do decide that this linen is not right for you, you can just return it. All you will be out is the shipping and the admin fee.
Feel and Comfort
People are amazed by how soft these sheets are. When thinking about linen, you tend to think about crisp fabric that doesn’t move well. The stone washing part of the manufacturing process helps to give the sheets a softer, more used feel. They are comfortable from the day you receive them and will soften more every time you wash them.
When it comes to the regulation of body temperature, nothing beats natural fibers. Linen was used to make garments in Ancient Egypt for an excellent reason – it allows the skin to breathe. These sheets do the same thing.
As a bonus, the linen has better moisture-wicking properties, and better absorption than cotton does.
We are not looking at the cheapest of prices here, but the value is outstanding. You are getting a set of linens that can easily last you the rest of your life. And you have the added incentive that the company guarantees its workmanship for life as well.
This bed linen is a cut above anything else on the market. The fabric is soft and durable and relatively simple to wash. It is an excellent option for hot sleepers or those who suffer from night sweats.
The color range is somewhat limited but, let’s face it, cream and white will go with just about any color scheme.
Who Should Buy Brooklinen Sheets?
- Someone who is looking for 100% natural bedding.
- Someone who likes sheets that have already been broken in.
- A person who wants to invest in terms of their bed linen.
- Someone looking for effortless style. There is no denying it, this product is easy on the eyes and is never going to date or go out of style.
- Hot sleepers looking for a way to keep cooler at night. The breathability of this product is excellent, and the natural fibers will allow heat to dissipate naturally from your body.
- People suffering from night sweats. There is nothing worse than waking up drenched in sweat after a night's sleep. The absorption of these fibers means that sweat and heat are carried away from your body. Consequently, you won't wake up looking like a hot mess.
- Someone who has the budget for this. You are getting good value for your money here, and you are only paying a fraction what you would from a standard retailer. But you are still going to have to pay out a fair amount of money.
Who Shouldn’t Buy Brooklinen Sheets?
- Someone who likes more colorful sheets.
- A person who is not going to take the trouble to properly wash the items and take care of them well. If you plan to just throw them into the washer and dryer without using the right settings, these are not a good buy for you.
- Someone whose budget is not that high. As mentioned above, you get good value, but it is still more than you pay for standard bed linen.
- Someone not planning to use these for long. Is this the type of item that you buy for your kid to take to their college dorm room? Not really.
- Someone who tends to spill things a lot. These sheets are washable and you can, if necessary, bleach them, but they can also be stained quite easily. This is something that you will need to keep in mind.
- A person that cannot stand creases. If this describes you, stay away from this product. All natural fibers are prone to creasing, and this is no exception.
To round things up – these are more expensive than your standard set of sheets would be. They are, however, very durable, feel luxurious and are of a high quality. They will pay for themselves eventually because they will not need to be replaced as often as would typically be the case.
Add in the comfort level, the absorption properties, and the company's lifetime guarantee, and you have a real winner here. So, to answer our original question, these sheets do live up to the hype. Now, if only they came in a few more colors as well.
They cost more upfront but could last you the rest of your life, so it is money well spent.
Sources & References
Author: Sarah Cummings
I think we’re all nerds, but I’m probably the biggest nerd in the group. Put me nose deep in a spreadsheet and I'll start smiling.
I love to travel, hang out with positive people, and love cycling when I find the time!
My hope is that everyone who visits our site will walk away with a fresh perspective. I think too many people in society downplay the importance of sleep. In my opinion, it’s the difference between an average life and an amazing one.